• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Harrisburg HC (filled - Aaron Thornton)

Started by birddawg1986, January 29, 2017, 01:01:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

birddawg1986

January 29, 2017, 01:01:06 pm Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 11:07:24 pm by Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian
Seen the Harrisburg job in open again. Coach Benintende resigned, and is moving to Flordia.

Rulesman

From what I heard he lost all control of the team towards the end of the year, lost the support of the administration, and basically it appeared he didn't even want to be there. Given that, I'm surprised it took this long for them to part ways. Probably the best for all parties involved.

bigchief72455

Quote from: Rulesman on January 29, 2017, 02:03:29 pm
From what I heard he lost all control of the team towards the end of the year, lost the support of the administration, and basically it appeared he didn't even want to be there. Given that, I'm surprised it took this long for them to part ways. Probably the best for all parties involved.
It was very apparent on the field and during warm ups.

titan33

bigchief72455

Whoever they hire is going to have a huge task set before them. It would stand to reason that the coach is going to have to reign in the players now.

coachsearch

What seems to be the problem there?

bigchief72455

Quote from: coachsearch on January 30, 2017, 10:52:51 am
What seems to be the problem there?
I looks as thought the program has lost it identity and suffered from a lack of coaching in the forms of discipline and such.

bigchief72455

This is what a local blog had stated that they observed during the Pocahontas game.

This past Friday night during early pre-game warmups, I looked down on the field from the spacious confines of the Harrisburg pressbox and saw clearly two teams on very opposite ends of the football spectrum in NE Arkansas. To my right were the Pocahontas Redskins, resplendent in their white road unie's, 3-1 going into the game. The entire complement of the Redskin coaching staff was on the field with the players; blowing whistles and issuing commands to move from drill to drill, talking with the players, slapping helmets and shoulders, smiling, offering words of encouragement, pleased with their team and happy to be on the field with their players on this picture postcard perfect Friday evening of early Fall. The Redskins looked big and athletic going through their calisthenics and pre-game drills. There was no wasted movement, the sequence of events was known to all and every single player moved crisply from drill to drill, the very definition of disciplined. In short, they looked like 15, 16, 17 year-old boys that came to do some work, get the inevitable "W", and get on to the next game on the schedule as quickly as humanly possible.

To my left were the Harrisburg Hornets, winners of two games over the last two seasons and 0-4 on the 2016 season going into the game. At this time there was not a single Harrisburg coach anywhere to be seen. The Hornet players ranged from athletic-looking to "not-so-much". They were attired in everything from full uniforms, to uniform pants only, to uniform jersey's only, to warm-up T-Shirts and shorts, to even one young man in cargo shorts and what appeared to be flip-flops. There were players punting and players hiking, there were players passing and players attempting to catch one-handed (Odell!!!!). There was lots of smiling and joking and running around in circles and what used to be termed "playing grab***" when I was that age. In short, there was a whole lot of doing what 15, 16, 17 year-old boys do when they've got lots of green grass and footballs to play with and there are no pesky adults around saying "Yeah, it might be useful if you do this instead." What there wasn't was a sense of organization, a sense of determination, a sense that they were going to do ONE SINGLE THING in the next three hours to show they were capable of ending their losing streak.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: bigchief72455 on January 30, 2017, 11:12:10 am
This is what a local blog had stated that they observed during the Pocahontas game.

This past Friday night during early pre-game warmups, I looked down on the field from the spacious confines of the Harrisburg pressbox and saw clearly two teams on very opposite ends of the football spectrum in NE Arkansas. To my right were the Pocahontas Redskins, resplendent in their white road unie’s, 3-1 going into the game. The entire complement of the Redskin coaching staff was on the field with the players; blowing whistles and issuing commands to move from drill to drill, talking with the players, slapping helmets and shoulders, smiling, offering words of encouragement, pleased with their team and happy to be on the field with their players on this picture postcard perfect Friday evening of early Fall. The Redskins looked big and athletic going through their calisthenics and pre-game drills. There was no wasted movement, the sequence of events was known to all and every single player moved crisply from drill to drill, the very definition of disciplined. In short, they looked like 15, 16, 17 year-old boys that came to do some work, get the inevitable “W”, and get on to the next game on the schedule as quickly as humanly possible.

To my left were the Harrisburg Hornets, winners of two games over the last two seasons and 0-4 on the 2016 season going into the game. At this time there was not a single Harrisburg coach anywhere to be seen. The Hornet players ranged from athletic-looking to “not-so-much”. They were attired in everything from full uniforms, to uniform pants only, to uniform jersey’s only, to warm-up T-Shirts and shorts, to even one young man in cargo shorts and what appeared to be flip-flops. There were players punting and players hiking, there were players passing and players attempting to catch one-handed (Odell!!!!). There was lots of smiling and joking and running around in circles and what used to be termed “playing grab***” when I was that age. In short, there was a whole lot of doing what 15, 16, 17 year-old boys do when they’ve got lots of green grass and footballs to play with and there are no pesky adults around saying “Yeah, it might be useful if you do this instead.” What there wasn’t was a sense of organization, a sense of determination, a sense that they were going to do ONE SINGLE THING in the next three hours to show they were capable of ending their losing streak.
wow

Arkansauce

This past Friday night during early pre-game warmups, I looked down on the field from the spacious confines of the Harrisburg pressbox and saw clearly two teams on very opposite ends of the football spectrum in NE Arkansas. To my right were the Pocahontas Redskins, resplendent in their white road unie's, 3-1 going into the game. The entire complement of the Redskin coaching staff was on the field with the players; blowing whistles and issuing commands to move from drill to drill, talking with the players, slapping helmets and shoulders, smiling, offering words of encouragement, pleased with their team and happy to be on the field with their players on this picture postcard perfect Friday evening of early Fall. The Redskins looked big and athletic going through their calisthenics and pre-game drills. There was no wasted movement, the sequence of events was known to all and every single player moved crisply from drill to drill, the very definition of disciplined. In short, they looked like 15, 16, 17 year-old boys that came to do some work, get the inevitable "W", and get on to the next game on the schedule as quickly as humanly possible.

To my left were the Harrisburg Hornets, winners of two games over the last two seasons and 0-4 on the 2016 season going into the game. At this time there was not a single Harrisburg coach anywhere to be seen. The Hornet players ranged from athletic-looking to "not-so-much". They were attired in everything from full uniforms, to uniform pants only, to uniform jersey's only, to warm-up T-Shirts and shorts, to even one young man in cargo shorts and what appeared to be flip-flops. There were players punting and players hiking, there were players passing and players attempting to catch one-handed (Odell!!!!). There was lots of smiling and joking and running around in circles and what used to be termed "playing grab***" when I was that age. In short, there was a whole lot of doing what 15, 16, 17 year-old boys do when they've got lots of green grass and footballs to play with and there are no pesky adults around saying "Yeah, it might be useful if you do this instead." What there wasn't was a sense of organization, a sense of determination, a sense that they were going to do ONE SINGLE THING in the next three hours to show they were capable of ending their losing streak.
This reminds me of how Lakeside-LV USED to be!!!

Wonderdog

This is embarrassing. The fact that someone took the time to write up a detailed description such as this is proof that even to a spectator the state of the program was in disarray. Hopefully they get things together.

bigchief72455

Quote from: Wonderdog on January 30, 2017, 09:03:45 pm
This is embarrassing. The fact that someone took the time to write up a detailed description such as this is proof that even to a spectator the state of the program was in disarray. Hopefully they get things together.
Thats why I say the coach that takes this job has a lot to overcome in the beginning. He is basically going to have to restate what the goals of the program are because they seem to have been lost along the way.

Wonderdog

Quote from: bigchief72455 on January 31, 2017, 01:07:45 pm
Thats why I say the coach that takes this job has a lot to overcome in the beginning. He is basically going to have to restate what the goals of the program are because they seem to have been lost along the way.
Sounds like it Chief.

coachsearch

Any new word on this job?

Made

Jimbo Morphis

Made

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Made on February 07, 2017, 01:55:33 pm
Between Cross County and Jonesboro

You're assuming people know where Cross County is.  :D

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on February 07, 2017, 02:22:12 pm
You're assuming people know where Cross County is.  :D
Exactly

ea cat

February 07, 2017, 04:04:30 pm #19 Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 04:25:45 pm by ea cat
I would say Wynne and Jonesboro with a slight detour. Lola

Made

Quote from: ea cat on February 07, 2017, 04:04:30 pm
I would day Wynne and Jonesboro with a slight detour. Lol
I had to throw CC in the mix with their recent coaching search ;)

Rulesman

Harrisburg is 15 miles south of Jonesboro.

OB11

Would any current HC's actually want this job?  Sounds like the previous coach left the program in pretty bad shape.  I'm not sure their facilities are up to par with a lot of other 4A programs either.

RabidWolf

Does Harrisburg draw from anywhere else? Traveling through heading to Jonesboro, I would NEVER guess this is a 4A program. I legitimately thought it was 2A. Maybe I just didn't realize how big the town is.

Made

Quote from: RabidWolf on February 07, 2017, 09:50:40 pm
Does Harrisburg draw from anywhere else? Traveling through heading to Jonesboro, I would NEVER guess this is a 4A program. I legitimately thought it was 2A. Maybe I just didn't realize how big the town is.
it was 3a for a long time, according to guesstimations they will drop back down, they jumped up to 4a when they picked up weiner.

Missco

Harrisburg  has over 2000 people but is a big district all so including the town of Weiner, Fisher, and Waldenburg. It has always moved between 3A and 4 A alot in the last 40 years.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Missco on February 07, 2017, 10:41:24 pm
Harrisburg  has over 2000 people but is a big district all so including the town of Weiner, Fisher, and Waldenburg. It has always moved between 3A and 4 A alot in the last 40 years.
Smaller version of Sheridan?

OB11

Quote from: Oldman on February 08, 2017, 06:44:30 am
Smaller version of Sheridan?

That's probably a close comparison.  Just looking at what is there you would never guess they are in that big of a classification. And not sure they will ever be very competitive.  They may have a couple of years where they make some noise like they a few years back and then totally fall off.

titan33

I grew up in Harrisburg. Here is the truth. The size of the town doesn't correlate with the size of the district. The town has about 2100. But not only does it contain those other towns mentioned, but also at least 2,000 around Lake Poinsett. you also probably only went through on Highway 1. The part from Harrisburg to Jonesboro was only built in 1980. The vast majority of the town is East of the Intersection. Including the Poinsett county courthose area. As far as the football program goes. From the 60's until 2006 Harrisburg was always in the smallest ten schools in the second classification. They won two conference championships in all that time. In 2006 they split what was 3A and made the half 4A. This meant that they were no longer in with schools the size of Trumann, Gosnell, Pocahontas. They were that way for about 6 years and were pretty good those years and won three conference championships. Then the state ordered them to absorb Wiener, which was an all basketball school. The extra kids moved them the bottom of 4A. Since none of those kids play football, they are getting hammered. Nothing will change for at least another cycle and they move down. whoever they hire better be willing to be patient and wait out the storm.

bassfisherman999

bigchief72455

Quote from: 4510691 on February 10, 2017, 01:06:53 pm
I grew up in Harrisburg. Here is the truth. The size of the town doesn't correlate with the size of the district. The town has about 2100. But not only does it contain those other towns mentioned, but also at least 2,000 around Lake Poinsett. you also probably only went through on Highway 1. The part from Harrisburg to Jonesboro was only built in 1980. The vast majority of the town is East of the Intersection. Including the Poinsett county courthose area. As far as the football program goes. From the 60's until 2006 Harrisburg was always in the smallest ten schools in the second classification. They won two conference championships in all that time. In 2006 they split what was 3A and made the half 4A. This meant that they were no longer in with schools the size of Trumann, Gosnell, Pocahontas. They were that way for about 6 years and were pretty good those years and won three conference championships. Then the state ordered them to absorb Wiener, which was an all basketball school. The extra kids moved them the bottom of 4A. Since none of those kids play football, they are getting hammered. Nothing will change for at least another cycle and they move down. whoever they hire better be willing to be patient and wait out the storm.
They will go back to 3A next cycle and will be more competitive there. It will still be a tough conference though. There are some real good teams in that conference.

Made

Quote from: bigchief72455 on February 10, 2017, 01:59:36 pm
They will go back to 3A next cycle and will be more competitive there. It will still be a tough conference though. There are some real good teams in that conference.
the 3a conference may be tougher than the 4a conference they are currently in

bigchief72455

Quote from: Made on February 10, 2017, 02:26:24 pm
the 3a conference may be tougher than the 4a conference they are currently in
Probably even once you subtract Rivercrest.

Size difference is huge in wins and losses. The only thing that overcomes it is great athletes. If the school is much larger and you don't have superior talent I don't care who the coach is.

coachsearch

Is their former football coach still on staff as an assistant?
Not the one last year but previous.

Hornetzone

No Davis is gone completely from coaching football... Harrisburg is so much smaller then any 4a program. Should never been in 4a. We have a big area but not many people came over from Weiner. And the few that did didn't play football. Harrisburg needs a new guy far off, not from around here a young guy to build the program. It's going to be hard but that's what we need.

birddawg1986

You are correct HBG is not a 4A school.. If I remember right they only missed being back in 3A by 7-10 kids... I'm not sure HBG needs a young coach but there are plenty coaches with +20 year experience that are not coaching right now that I think could do HBG a good job. These kids are a line up run over your butt groups ,and not the air raid they keep trying to implement. Hope they find the right fit.

hurricane 09

Know a coach with +20 years experience that as HFB coach took two different schools to quarterfinals. Also as an assistant on Texas largest classification went to quarterfinals. Has based triple option out of wishbone/flexbone but also uses multiple formations but keeps same basic plays. Think he would be good.

Made

Quote from: hurricane 09 on February 15, 2017, 12:39:01 pm
Know a coach with +20 years experience that as HFB coach took two different schools to quarterfinals. Also as an assistant on Texas largest classification went to quarterfinals. Has based triple option out of wishbone/flexbone but also uses multiple formations but keeps same basic plays. Think he would be good.
where are you coaching now?

hurricane 09

Not a coach. Just know him.

Qhcaoc

Anything yet on this job

Made

Quote from: Qhcaoc on February 27, 2017, 09:57:22 am
Anything yet on this job
heard they started interviews, I got no names or anything, just what i heard

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Made on February 27, 2017, 10:42:01 am
heard they started interviews, I got no names or anything, just what i heard
Well you could take Wally Hall's place.

istruedo

Made

Quote from: Oldman on February 28, 2017, 06:32:22 am
Well you could take Wally Hall's place.
My jibberish would make too much sense, and I am not drinking the piggy kool-aid to tell everyone how great it is to be a pig

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Made on February 28, 2017, 11:31:44 am
My jibberish would make too much sense, and I am not drinking the piggy kool-aid to tell everyone how great it is to be a pig
It is great to be a pig. You have to embrace the suck most the time but it's great. Just think you could be an OLE MI$$ fan.

Hatchet

I heard they hired a guy from Springdale-Harbor

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: Hatchet on February 28, 2017, 02:59:45 pm
I heard they hired a guy from Springdale-Harber
Winner winner chicken dinner!!!

OB11

Quote from: Hatchet on February 28, 2017, 02:59:45 pm
I heard they hired a guy from Springdale-Harbor

For the Harrisburg job?  ???

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas