• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5a East: Who's Year is it?

Started by Raiders5, March 23, 2014, 12:58:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Raiders5

I would love to hear peoples opinions about the 5a east conference and who you think will win the conference title and who will be the biggest competitors.

MDXPHD

You will probably say Nettleton, obviously.  I figure it will go something like this:

1) Vilonia
2) Batesville/Nettleton/Wynne
3) Nettleton/Batesville/Wynne
4) Wynne/Nettleton/Batesville

Vilonia wins conference and the other three spots are a toss up between those three teams. 

I don't know how much it matters as far as the conference goes, the only team that has a chance to make any impact on the state tournament is most likely Vilonia.

sevenof400

As much as I'd like to say I agree with MDXPHD and just move on, there is the matter of Paragould and GCT as well. Having said that, Vilonia starts as the favorite since they won the conference last year and did not graduate many players.  But the big difference this year is the Eagles will not be overlooked - how will they perform as the hunted instead of the hunters?

Looking back at last year, the East was Vilonia, Batesville and Nettleton with a clear drop off to the rest of the teams.  Just for ease of reference, here are the 2013 results:

2013 5A East Conference Games Only          Boys           
        Team         Wins   Losses   
(1) Vilonia       9         1       
(2) Batesville               8         2       
(3) Nettleton       6         3       
   GCT                         3         7       
   Paragould       2         7       
   Wynne       1         9       

2013 5A East Conference Games Only          Girls         
        Team         Wins   Losses   
(1) Nettleton     10         0       
(2) Batesville               8         2       
(3) Paragould       5         5       
(4) GCT                         4         6       
   Vilonia       3         7       
   Wynne       0       10       

It's hard to see any change on the boys side that would lift any of Paragould, GCT or Wynne far enough to challenge for a top 3 spot but I'll admit I haven't seen these teams yet this year.   

VHSCoach2

As far as the girls' side goes, compared to last season, Vilonia is much improved. They have already faced two conference opponents in a pre-season tournament (defeated Paragould 5-1, and lost to Nettleton in PKs after being tied 0-0 throughout regulation and two OTs). That is a HUGE step up from last season. To go along with Nettleton and Batesville, the likelihood of the Vilonia girls joining them in the top three of the East is high.  I have not seen nor heard anything about the Batesville girls this season, nor do I know how many players they graduated after last season, so I am just assuming that they will be a contender on the girls side.

Paragould VG seem to be having a down year (lost to Vilonia VG 5-1 and GCT VG 5-0 in the Paragould Invitational), while Greene County Tech could play spoiler (beat Paragould (5-0) and played Nettleton close (lost 1-0).  And of course, Wynne does not have a VG team this season.

If I were to make a final prediction on the girls 5A East, this would be it:

1. Nettleton/Vilonia/Batesville
2. Nettleton/Vilonia/Batesville
3. Nettleton/Vilonia/Batesville
4. Greene County Tech
5. Paragould

MDXPHD

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on March 23, 2014, 01:23:41 pm
As far as the girls' side goes, compared to last season, Vilonia is much improved. They have already faced two conference opponents in a pre-season tournament (defeated Paragould 5-1, and lost to Nettleton in PKs after being tied 0-0 throughout regulation and two OTs). That is a HUGE step up from last season. To go along with Nettleton and Batesville, the likelihood of the Vilonia girls joining them in the top three of the East is high.  I have not seen nor heard anything about the Batesville girls this season, nor do I know how many players they graduated after last season, so I am just assuming that they will be a contender on the girls side.

Paragould VG seem to be having a down year (lost to Vilonia VG 5-1 and GCT VG 5-0 in the Paragould Invitational), while Greene County Tech could play spoiler (beat Paragould (5-0) and played Nettleton close (lost 1-0).  And of course, Wynne does not have a VG team this season.

4. Greene County Tech
5. Paragould

This is an accurate assumption for the girls teams.  Paragould, Batesville, and Vilonia all replaced their coaches, which might be old news to you seeing that you may be the VHS coach (Hopefully not, considering you just came on here and talked about how improved your team was).  Paragould lost most of their starting lineup and Batesville lost about 5 starters.  Vilonia and GCT beating Paragould by about the same margin and playing Nettleton that close shows me that they will be evenly matched.  I would say that your standings could go exactly like that, but I'm giving the edge to Nettleton.  Batesville and Vilonia also played MT. Home by the same margin, just not very good results.

As far as the girls side of things go, I don't think the conference will be able to do anything once the state tournament starts.  The east being matched with the west isn't the best case scenario, boys or girls.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: MDXPHD on March 24, 2014, 08:03:36 am
Quote from: VHSCoach2 on March 23, 2014, 01:23:41 pm

4. Greene County Tech
5. Paragould

This is an accurate assumption for the girls teams.  Paragould, Batesville, and Vilonia all replaced their coaches, which might be old news to you seeing that you may be the VHS coach (Hopefully not, considering you just came on here and talked about how improved your team was).  Paragould lost most of their starting lineup and Batesville lost about 5 starters.  Vilonia and GCT beating Paragould by about the same margin and playing Nettleton that close shows me that they will be evenly matched.  I would say that your standings could go exactly like that, but I'm giving the edge to Nettleton.  Batesville and Vilonia also played MT. Home by the same margin, just not very good results.

As far as the girls side of things go, I don't think the conference will be able to do anything once the state tournament starts.  The east being matched with the west isn't the best case scenario, boys or girls.

Can't say that I am. Just an avid follower. I do know the new coaches for the Vilonia girls, however (both the new head coach and assistant coach).

sevenof400

..As far as the girls side of things go, I don't think the conference will be able to do anything once the state tournament starts.  The east being matched with the west isn't the best case scenario, boys or girls.

I tend to agree with this for the most part and it will certainly put a premium on finishing first or second in the East.  While it would not surprise me to see a 2 - 2 split in the playoffs when East and West meet (on both the boys and girls sides), I would say there is a better chance of the West going 3 - 1 than the East going 3 - 1 in the first round of the playoffs.  Obviously (and as always) the specific matchups will be critical.

The criticism of the East is a fair one as the power in 5A high school soccer has been the West and South, then the Central and finally the East (in that order) over the previous few seasons. 

MDXPHD

Quote from: sevenof400 on March 24, 2014, 11:22:22 am
..As far as the girls side of things go, I don't think the conference will be able to do anything once the state tournament starts.  The east being matched with the west isn't the best case scenario, boys or girls.

I tend to agree with this for the most part and it will certainly put a premium on finishing first or second in the East.  While it would not surprise me to see a 2 - 2 split in the playoffs when East and West meet (on both the boys and girls sides), I would say there is a better chance of the West going 3 - 1 than the East going 3 - 1 in the first round of the playoffs.  Obviously (and as always) the specific matchups will be critical.

The criticism of the East is a fair one as the power in 5A high school soccer has been the West and South, then the Central and finally the East (in that order) over the previous few seasons.

I completely agree. Lakeside, Harrison, and the private schools are the main ones that deserve any credit once the playoffs start.  Schools like DeQueen and Greenbrier are moving up, and I expect Valley View to as well next season.  Vilonia winning the East last year was a big step in the right direction for that program and they seem to still be carrying some of that momentum. 

Go Postal

Quote from: MDXPHD on March 24, 2014, 01:05:33 pm
Quote from: sevenof400 on March 24, 2014, 11:22:22 am

I completely agree. Lakeside, Harrison, and the private schools are the main ones that deserve any credit once the playoffs start.  Schools like DeQueen and Greenbrier are moving up, and I expect Valley View to as well next season.  Vilonia winning the East last year was a big step in the right direction for that program and they seem to still be carrying some of that momentum.

Vilonia:  I saw a very improved boys team last year.  Up for grabs this season in the playoffs.  Should win the East once again.  Next cycle, Valley View replaces them, Vtown comes to the West with LRCA.  Holy Cr@p!  Should make a very more than interesting West conference season then.

Greenbrier:  Won the Conference Champs last year, beating Harrison boys twice in conference.  Lost to LRCA in the semis with 10 men due to a red card.  Very good team.

De Queen:  Four time consecutive 4A State Champs.  First year in 5A went undefeated in their conference and through the 1st round and quarter finals, then lost by 1 to the Golden Goblins in the semis.  Best game I have ever seen.  So fast paced on offense/defense that I thought that it was "Basketball strategy on a larger than football field". (wish that I had a copy of this game)  If De Queen can get use to the in-your-face-physical-play that the 5A and especially the West can deliver, then I have them going to the 5A finals this year.

LRCA boys/girls:  Nuff said.  See their record.
Harrison boys/girls:  Nuff said.  See their record.

But this is a East thread, Good Luck to Vilonia boys/girls during conference and playoffs and if you play those Searcy boys/girls and Mtn Home boys/girls (my old alma mater), in East non conference, beat them.  You will have my respect more than now, which is a lot. ;D

MDXPHD

I believe Vilonia tied Searcy boys and lost to Mt. Home boys by 3 or so.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas