• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Post week 3 scores here - for games Mon March 17th through Sat March 23rd! (All classes)

Started by sevenof400, March 16, 2014, 02:39:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

eldoradosoccerplayer

From Tuesday 3/18:

VB
El Dorado 3-0 JA Fair

Fair looks strong this year, held us goalless in the first half and had a lot of chances through their #7, easily their best player.  We came back strong in the second half and they kind of fell apart though, making hard fouls and trash talking excessively as they went down by multiple goals.  They do look to be a threat this year however, steadily improving over last season and the season before.

VHSCoach2

Vilonia @ Benton, 3/20

Vilonia VG 0, Benton VG 0.

Benton VB 1, Vilonia VB 0.

AirWarren

Quote from: Arbitro on March 20, 2014, 09:43:58 pm
3/20 @ Monticello
Hermitage 3, Monticello 1 (boys)

After a 7 year break, Hermitage is back with "JV" teams

The best thing Hermitage could do is just consolidate with Warren.

Soccermom1

chaoslord

Quote from: HP14 on March 20, 2014, 07:20:56 pm
Very good game by both teams with plenty of missed shots by both teams. I will have to say it was the officiating I have seen I some time. The score should have been 1-1 but for a hand ball or "covering" against Maumelle. Still not convinced on that one.

Out of curiosity, what happened in this situation?

----

From 3/20:

JVG Hertiage 1 Cabot 6
VG Heritage 1 Cabot 1

JVG game ended with Cabot playing with 9 people - and no, I didn't send anyone off! Cabot coach elected to go down to 10 after the sixth goal, then an injury caused another player to come off and the coach reckoned he'd just let it roll with 9. Even still, they had the better of the chances.

VG was a tale of two halfs. Heritage keeper was the only reason they were still in the game, Cabot should have been 3 or 4 goals clear by halftime. Second half, though, Heritage came out to play. Cabot still carved out a handful of chances and, in truth, the Hertiage goal was pretty lucky, but they saw the better chances in the second half so it's hard to say that a draw was a bad result. Cabot will be a little bit frustrated that they didn't win, but they had their chances.

ARSoccer25

VHSCoach2

Quote from: ARSoccer25 on March 21, 2014, 08:32:07 am
Lakeside vs Hope
JV B 3-0
VG 7-1
VB 4-1

Just checking, but who were the victors in the matches? I assume Lakeside since you said 'Lakeside vs Hope' and listed Lakeside first.  Thanks!

mijally

Quote from: chaoslord on March 21, 2014, 07:54:29 am
Very good game by both teams with plenty of missed shots by both teams. I will have to say it was the officiating I have seen I some time. The score should have been 1-1 but for a hand ball or "covering" against Maumelle. Still not convinced on that one.

The a/r or center ref or whatever you call them when there is only 2 officials didn't see the whole play because he was 40 yards away on the sideline 2 seconds earlier. He didn't see the crack in the back that sent the player face first into the dirt with the ball under his gut. He didn't see the players kicking at ball and player while he was rolling over the ball. Then when our goalie picked it up he blew the whistle. Irrelevant game so no harm but 2 middle aged men cannot call an accurate game trying to cover 120 yards of quality soccer for 16-18 yr olds. They were guessing on the offsides calls.

----

From 3/20:

JVG Hertiage 1 Cabot 6
VG Heritage 1 Cabot 1

JVG game ended with Cabot playing with 9 people - and no, I didn't send anyone off! Cabot coach elected to go down to 10 after the sixth goal, then an injury caused another player to come off and the coach reckoned he'd just let it roll with 9. Even still, they had the better of the chances.

VG was a tale of two halfs. Heritage keeper was the only reason they were still in the game, Cabot should have been 3 or 4 goals clear by halftime. Second half, though, Heritage came out to play. Cabot still carved out a handful of chances and, in truth, the Hertiage goal was pretty lucky, but they saw the better chances in the second half so it's hard to say that a draw was a bad result. Cabot will be a little bit frustrated that they didn't win, but they had their chances.

ARSoccer25

Basketball13

Go Postal

One thing that I noticed in the 5A, over the years lately (not just in soccer, but in ALL non conference sports), is that we are playing a lot of higher conference's teams or a very good lower conference team.  I think that this is great.  Might get your butt kicked, but will learn from your mistakes.  "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger".

Lionheart88

JVG El Dorado 6-0 Sheridan
JVB ED 2-0 Sheridan
VG ED 5-0 Sheridan
VB ED 2-0 Sheridan

I think I got all those right.

Go Postal

Lionheart88, I'm glad you are also on the soccer forums.  Alma posters don't know what their missing. ;D  Don't know what worldwide football is really about.  Maybe I will have to go to the Track and Baseball forums to see what they're doing.

eldoradosoccerplayer

Yep, those are all correct on the Sheridan-El Dorado scores.  And not as much tension as in years past, they played more disciplined and mouthed off less.

Lionheart88

Quote from: Go Postal on March 21, 2014, 09:58:20 pm
Lionheart88, I'm glad you are also on the soccer forums.  Alma posters don't know what their missing. ;D  Don't know what worldwide football is really about.  Maybe I will have to go to the Track and Baseball forums to see what they're doing.
Where did that come from?  I mean, thanks, but it just seemed to come out of nowhere.

fourfourtwo

VHSCoach2

Vilonia @ Mountain Home, 3/21:

Mountain Home VG 7, Vilonia VG 0.

Mountain Home VB 3, Vilonia VB 0.

For the Vilonia girls, at least, Spring Break is very much welcomed. Ten games between the start of the season and Spring Break will take its toll on anybody.

fourfourtwo

HP14

Quote from: chaoslord on March 21, 2014, 07:54:29 am

Both teams controlled the ball quite well. I have seen Maumelle move the ball better this year and it looked like they were off their game for the first half.  In the second half Maumelle moved the ball better and had a number of shots on goal.  I do not know how Cabot stacks up in their conference but Maumelle should be able to hold their own in the 4a this year.  Now about the officiating of the game.  There were only two officials which is difficult to say the least.  The calls made, and more importantly, the calls NOT made, provided for a very physical game with one kid out with a broken rib and another out with a knee injury.  I will not go further in explanation except to say the officiating was well below par.   

chaoslord

Quote from: HP14 on March 24, 2014, 01:39:00 pm
Now about the officiating of the game.  There were only two officials which is difficult to say the least.  The calls made, and more importantly, the calls NOT made, provided for a very physical game with one kid out with a broken rib and another out with a knee injury.  I will not go further in explanation except to say the officiating was well below par.   

I'm just curious as to what exactly happened on the play you brought up when you said "The score should have been 1-1 but for a hand ball or "covering" against Maumelle. Still not convinced on that one." Mijally replied three days ago and so I *think* I understand. It sounds like since the game should have been 1 -1 but finished 2-1 a penalty was probably given that shouldn't have been/should have been proceeded by a free kick coming out. If you don't feel like elaborating any further on that specific play though, that's cool and I get it.

I know I'm one of the guys usually defending referees on the board but, in case you think this is what I'm doin, I'm honestly not trying to find a way to justify any call here. If the officials were bad, that's, unfortunately, going to happen sometimes. I mean, we had one of our top 3 referees in the state mess up on a restart after a penalty kick last season, so no one is perfect. Doubly so with the dual system being in use. I hate it and we aren't trained on it, which means positioning and focus is usually not where it needs to be.

EDIT: Oh, while I'm here

3/21 VG Bentonville 4?  Ozark(MO) 0. I don't remember exactly the score but it was pretty one sided.

mijally

Quote from: chaoslord on March 24, 2014, 04:50:00 pm
Quote from: HP14 on March 24, 2014, 01:39:00 pm
Now about the officiating of the game.  There were only two officials which is difficult to say the least.  The calls made, and more importantly, the calls NOT made, provided for a very physical game with one kid out with a broken rib and another out with a knee injury.  I will not go further in explanation except to say the officiating was well below par.   

I'm just curious as to what exactly happened on the play you brought up when you said "The score should have been 1-1 but for a hand ball or "covering" against Maumelle. Still not convinced on that one." Mijally replied three days ago and so I *think* I understand. It sounds like since the game should have been 1 -1 but finished 2-1 a penalty was probably given that shouldn't have been/should have been proceeded by a free kick coming out. If you don't feel like elaborating any further on that specific play though, that's cool and I get it.

I know I'm one of the guys usually defending referees on the board but, in case you think this is what I'm doin, I'm honestly not trying to find a way to justify any call here. If the officials were bad, that's, unfortunately, going to happen sometimes. I mean, we had one of our top 3 referees in the state mess up on a restart after a penalty kick last season, so no one is perfect. Doubly so with the dual system being in use. I hate it and we aren't trained on it, which means positioning and focus is usually not where it needs to be.

EDIT: Oh, while I'm here

3/21 VG Bentonville 4?  Ozark(MO) 0. I don't remember exactly the score but it was pretty one sided.

You are correct Chaos. Cabot was given a Pk. The ref issue was in my opinion due to only 2 on the field. They could not see the offside lines and cover the middle play also.  It seemed like the teams took advantage of the refs too because it was easier  just to send it long than trying to move the ball up field against the defenses. I actually felt sorry for all the running they had to do non stop.  A third official would have solved the issue.  At least that's my opinion.

sevenof400

Quote from: mijally on March 24, 2014, 05:28:53 pm
You are correct Chaos. Cabot was given a Pk. The ref issue was in my opinion due to only 2 on the field. They could not see the offside lines and cover the middle play also.  It seemed like the teams took advantage of the refs too because it was easier  just to send it long than trying to move the ball up field against the defenses. I actually felt sorry for all the running they had to do non stop.  A third official would have solved the issue.  At least that's my opinion.

I'm going to hope the 2 referees (dual system) was a result of something occurring at the last minute that caused a referee not to show as opposed to the school deciding to go with only 2 referees for this game from the outset.  I've heard some schools are trying to cut costs anywhere they can and some JV games are using 1 referee (supposedly supplying linesmen) but I really hope this trend stops.

arksoc

Quote from: sevenof400 on March 24, 2014, 07:05:48 pm

I'm going to hope the 2 referees (dual system) was a result of something occurring at the last minute that caused a referee not to show as opposed to the school deciding to go with only 2 referees for this game from the outset.  I've heard some schools are trying to cut costs anywhere they can and some JV games are using 1 referee (supposedly supplying linesmen) but I really hope this trend stops.

I was under the impression, perhaps mistakenly, that dual officiating was not allowed under AAA rules. Is that accurate? I hear of it sometimes and I guess maybe it seems (at the time) like a better option than cancelling or delaying a game because an official doesn't show up. What is the rule on this?

Lionheart88

No, dual system is an option.  Several times I've almost had to go to it at least until our 3rd man arrived because the 3rd man was late.  Thankfully I've never actually had to, because we're never really trained in it.  I know more venerable refs who have used it on occasion though.

What I haven't heard is anyone planning to use it from the outset.  I've never heard of a school only bringing in two refs to save money or anything like that.  My guess would be that in this case 3 refs were assigned and one had a last minute emergency, too close to gametime for the assignor to find a replacement.

Arbitro

Quote from: Lionheart88 on March 24, 2014, 10:31:40 pm
I know more venerable refs who have used it on occasion though.
You young whippersnappers don't know anything. :)

Some states use dual referees for most or all of their high school games (Florida is one).  I don't know if it is a cost saving measure or due to insufficient numbers of referees, but they manage to make it work.  Arkansas made the decision to use three referees whenever possible, and as @chaoslord said we aren't trained in the finer points of the two man system, nor do we have a lot of personal experience with it.  I've done duals in several games in the past couple of years, mainly toward the end of the season when the referee ranks have been thinned due to injury and there is no one to fill in when a late problem comes up.  The more competitive the game, the more challenging the dual will be - particularly for referees that aren't used to the necessary differences in positioning.

Basketball13

Quote from: arksoc on March 24, 2014, 08:47:35 pm
Quote from: sevenof400 on March 24, 2014, 07:05:48 pm

I was under the impression, perhaps mistakenly, that dual officiating was not allowed under AAA rules. Is that accurate? I hear of it sometimes and I guess maybe it seems (at the time) like a better option than cancelling or delaying a game because an official doesn't show up. What is the rule on this?

Dual officiating is a big no no with USSF in this state but I believe it is done for AAA.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas