• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What about next year?

Started by PA Dad, December 10, 2017, 09:12:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PA Dad

We do this every year so we might as well get it started.  What about your team/conference next year?  Who do you have as front runners?

PA loses a lot.  We lose our QB, two best wide receivers, and three starting offensive lineman.  We did not have a noteworthy running back and lose nothing there.  On defense, we lose 6 starters.  Next year will be a team with little experience.  It will be a rebuilding year.

In Central, I think LRCA, Parkview and PA will be competitive.  I don't know what Watson Chapel loses and have no idea if they can compete in Central.  I think Maumelle was young this year and they may make some noise next year.

In the West, I expect Morrilton and Alma to dominate.  Harrison may have a say there - I think they have a good number of returning starters.

The South is always an enigma.  I think that Texarkana and McClellan will probably be the dominant teams.  McClellan loses 18 starters and may not be as good next year as they have been the last three years.  Texarkana returns 19 starters and may be a 5A powerhouse.

I think the East will, as always, be dominated by Wynne and Batesville.  I know Wynne loses a lot but I don't know what Batesville loses.

If I had to name a favorite to win the championship next year, I'd pick Morrilton.

JessieP

I agree with Dad's assessment, pretty spot on. To me the most interesting question will be Wynne. Now before everyone gets all up in arms let me explain. I know coming from a Batesville fan this is going to sound like a taunt, it is not. Wynne was more top heavy with seniors then I've ever seen in my life. I realize the tradition and that they have a great coach but they epitomize the term rebuilding. This past year Hicks was injured late in the 2nd quarter against Batesville, he was a decoy the rest of the way. The defense was able to focus on the QB and he had no other weapons, that kid fought like a warrior but it was him against 11. They lose him as well. A Wynne fan told me at the game "it's this year or never for us, we have 16 Seniors starting this year". Now I think "never" is a bit much but it's going to be a total rebuild for Wynne. Batesville loses about 9 Senior starters but our QB and best RB return. The O-line should be much improved, they had a couple giants standing on the sidelines. One was like 6'3 260 and one was like 6'6 290. The defense was pretty young. I pick them to be slightly better, not world beaters but can improve on last season.

Go Postal

I believe that Harrison played quite a bit of Juniors and Sophomores this year and has another great 9th grade team moving up.  I think that they had only one loss to Van Buren.  Our this year Sophomore QB, has a good arm and is faster running than Ditmanson.  He got some reps this year but just needs more experience at the position for Varsity ball,  but should get plenty of that playing the teams of the West.  Though we do lose Maumelle next season.  We will see...

Devil Dog 17

walkingguy72396

Wynne is a big question mark.

How-ever. 

So is the rest of the East in my opinion.

I do not think any of them is going to be ranked in the preseason top 4.

JessieP

December 11, 2017, 03:10:15 pm #5 Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 04:43:36 pm by JessieP
Quote from: walkingguy72396 on December 11, 2017, 02:43:49 pm
Wynne is a big question mark.

How-ever. 

So is the rest of the East in my opinion.

I do not think any of them is going to be ranked in the preseason top 4.

I wouldn't dispute that. My only point was that every year every team has graduation loses, this Wynne team is devastated by graduation. A Wynne fan posted a little while ago that they lose over 90% of their offensive production and 8 defensive starters. That's a hit.

AT

Alma will lose a ton of offensive production. Jensen and Johnson's loss will be huge hits. Also Alexander at RB. No heir apparent to QB as all other years during Coach Lough's era. Good news: Return all other WRs and all O-Line. Have another RB who can step into it. Just need playmakers behind the big boys up front.

Defensive is a big question mark. It wasn't the best defense for the Airedales last year at times and other times it shut teams down. Coach Marsh had some great adjustments and I just think we ran into some teams faster than us. Airedales return some good defensive players, though.

The 9th grade group that will move up didn't have a great year as a team, but there are some players to be found there which is all that matters in senior high.

I could see a bit of a down curve in the cyclical nature of sports, but Alma's tradition will keep them in the thick of the things in the West.

Right now I see:

1. Morrilton
2. Harrison
3. Alma
4. Greenbrier
5. Clarksville
6. Vilonia
7. Farmington
8. Huntsville

A lot to change in the months to come.

A lot of down teams in the 5A next year. Do people think 5A will be open as it has ever been?

Hoghead2

Next year I'm rolling with Texarkana to win it all. They're going to be pretty tough. Physical, Speed, depth and Barry Norton. Get your popcorn ready !!!

beach bum

Bottom half of the 5A West becomes soft as tissue by the switch of Maumelle for Huntsville.... If Clarksville ever got a defense they might be able to snag the last playoff spot.

PA Dad

Quote from: Almatrackster on December 11, 2017, 05:48:14 pm
Alma will lose a ton of offensive production. Jensen and Johnson's loss will be huge hits. Also Alexander at RB. No heir apparent to QB as all other years during Coach Lough's era. Good news: Return all other WRs and all O-Line. Have another RB who can step into it. Just need playmakers behind the big boys up front.

Defensive is a big question mark. It wasn't the best defense for the Airedales last year at times and other times it shut teams down. Coach Marsh had some great adjustments and I just think we ran into some teams faster than us. Airedales return some good defensive players, though.

The 9th grade group that will move up didn't have a great year as a team, but there are some players to be found there which is all that matters in senior high.

I could see a bit of a down curve in the cyclical nature of sports, but Alma's tradition will keep them in the thick of the things in the West.

Right now I see:

1. Morrilton
2. Harrison
3. Alma
4. Greenbrier
5. Clarksville
6. Vilonia
7. Farmington
8. Huntsville

A lot to change in the months to come.

A lot of down teams in the 5A next year. Do people think 5A will be open as it has ever been?

I think 5A is wide open next year.

PA will be in the mix but I don't think they are the prohibitive favorites.

As I noted, my favorite is Morrilton.  But, I just don't know much about Texarkana.  I've read that they are fast and have 18 starters returning.  I know they have a good coach.  They will be a team to watch.

I'm interested to see what Parkview does next year.  They made great improvement this year.

I think it will be an exciting year.

Greyhands

Quote from: Go Postal on December 11, 2017, 10:48:54 am
I believe that Harrison played quite a bit of Juniors and Sophomores this year  We will see...

We started 8 Sophomores (would have been 9 with Huskey) against PA.

Hogman2018

Quote from: Hoghead2 on December 11, 2017, 08:04:54 pm
Next year I'm rolling with Texarkana to win it all. They're going to be pretty tough. Physical, Speed, depth and Barry Norton. Get your popcorn ready !!!
Even though Texarkana record was 6 and 6 three of those losses were to teams that was undefeated! Greenwood beat us twice and Pleasant Grove Texas is still undefeated and in the semifinals of the 4A playoffs in Texas! (they beat us 27 to 20) only close game they had. Texarkana led Greenwood at the half but couldnt hold the lead! We was really good on defense but our offense struggled all year we were really young. With a good offseason Texarkana will be major player in 5A football next year! 

the voice

Just seems that dropping down doesn't translate into domination as easily as some think. There's recently dropped down schools who can tell you.
I'm sure Texarkana will be good. Should be interesting, you named off half their losses who were the other three ?

STBruin

Texarkana also lost to Benton, El Dorado and Russellville.

AHS06

Who are the recently dropped down schools?  I'm sure that'll explain the reason of your statement.  The other three were to an undefeated Benton, El Dorado, and Russellville caught us sleeping. 

Our numbers have been down here at Arkansas High due to very poor seasons reflective on coaching.  Along with being young we didn't have size or depth on our lines this year.  With some improvement at QB we will be explosive on offense and the defense will be very strong.  Those numbers will rebound quickly and hopefully we build some depth in the off season.

The Future

Quote from: AHS06 on December 13, 2017, 07:06:59 am
Who are the recently dropped down schools?  I'm sure that'll explain the reason of your statement.  The other three were to an undefeated Benton, El Dorado, and Russellville caught us sleeping. 

Our numbers have been down here at Arkansas High due to very poor seasons reflective on coaching.  Along with being young we didn't have size or depth on our lines this year.  With some improvement at QB we will be explosive on offense and the defense will be very strong.  Those numbers will rebound quickly and hopefully we build some depth in the off season.

First one that comes to my mind was Watson Chapel in 2010.
Was a average to below average 6A team then in 2009 went 10-3. Everyone had them picked to win the 5A even after going 0-3 against Shiloh, Pine Bluff, and Camden. Hootens, as crazy as they seem, had them at 3 while they were 0-3 ahead of 3-0 teams like Batesville and Greenbrier. They then reeled off 9 wins, most in dominating fashion, before losing to Camden in the semis.
And with Batesville starting off 12-0 that year, a lot of people had Batesville and Watson Chapel in the finals.

I'm sure there are others but right now Chapel is the only team coming to mind.

AHS06

December 13, 2017, 10:38:50 am #16 Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 11:00:49 am by AHS06
Quote from: The Future on December 13, 2017, 09:03:09 am
First one that comes to my mind was Watson Chapel in 2010.
Was a average to below average 6A team then in 2009 went 10-3. Everyone had them picked to win the 5A even after going 0-3 against Shiloh, Pine Bluff, and Camden. Hootens, as crazy as they seem, had them at 3 while they were 0-3 ahead of 3-0 teams like Batesville and Greenbrier. They then reeled off 9 wins, most in dominating fashion, before losing to Camden in the semis.
And with Batesville starting off 12-0 that year, a lot of people had Batesville and Watson Chapel in the finals.

I'm sure there are others but right now Chapel is the only team coming to mind.
Chapel should be the only team because they are the only original 6A team to drop.  The 2009 Chapel team would have been in the mix if not won it all in 2009 in 5A.  In 2010 they lost to arguably the best team in 5A that year.  However, you are correct with the predictions for state that year.  We played El Dorado for state that year and watched the 5A game before our game.  CF should have beat GW that year.  WC was a below average to average 6A team but every year seems to be in the mix or listed as a dangerous team in 5A.  WC is not Arkansas High.  That pretty much sums it up. 

Mancho Hogo

East Predictions
1. Nettleton (Returns Alot)
2. Batesville
3. Wynne
4. VV
5. Blytheville
6. Forrest City
7. GCT
8. Paragould

redsport27

Who exactly is in the central? Did Chapel and WH both move to central?

Overdahill

Maumelle will be in the Central next year

WTD

Quote from: redsport27 on December 13, 2017, 12:09:52 pm
Who exactly is in the central? Did Chapel and WH both move to central?

White Hall
Watson Chapel
Maumelle
Parkview
Beebe
LR Fair
PA
LRCA

Blazer51

Quote from: Mancho Hogo on December 13, 2017, 10:57:51 am
East Predictions
1. Nettleton (Returns Alot)
2. Batesville
3. Wynne
4. VV
5. Blytheville
6. Forrest City
7. GCT
8. Paragould

Vv loses almost every starter and has very little talent coming up. We will be luck to beat gct and pgould.

WTD

Correct me if I'm wrong but the central will change again in 2020 when Fair and Mclellan consolidate? Could that mean Greenwood bumps back down to the 5A West? Would Vilonia move to the central? Lots of scenarios...

AT

Quote from: WTD on December 13, 2017, 07:57:33 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong but the central will change again in 2020 when Fair and Mclellan consolidate? Could that mean Greenwood bumps back down to the 5A West? Would Vilonia move to the central? Lots of scenarios...

If this happened now, yes Greenwood would move down to 5A.

But Greenwood's growth makes me wonder if they will stay as the lowest enrollment in 6A. Have to remember each cycle that Greenwood has been the lowest enrollment, a school has dropped below them by the time the next cycle came up to keep them in 6A (Alma and Parkview)

the voice

Alma dropped recently as well. Them and WC , seems like another I'm forgetting. Morrilton beat Russellville last year also. Just saying I don't think the gap is that big between average 6a teams and good 5a.  Will be interesting to see.

AT

Parkview, voice, is the one you are forgetting. Albeit, Parkview wasn't having any type of success in 6A.

I thought Alma's success in 6A would mean a state championship game appearance, I'll admit.

I think Texarkana will be a contender, though.

the voice

And thank you trackster it was parkview.  I knew there was at least one more.

Rick Swines

Quote from: Blazer51 on December 13, 2017, 05:17:57 pm
Vv loses almost every starter and has very little talent coming up. We will be luck to beat gct and pgould.

I understand but vv has one of the best coaching staffs in the east. That goes a long ways

Go Postal

Quote from: WTD on December 13, 2017, 07:57:33 pm
Quote from: Almatrackster on December 13, 2017, 08:08:33 pm

But Greenwood's growth makes me wonder if they will stay as the lowest enrollment in 6A. Have to remember each cycle that Greenwood has been the lowest enrollment, a school has dropped below them by the time the next cycle came up to keep them in 6A (Alma and Parkview)
What to make it really screwed up, in all the other sports, is that the 6A and upper half of the 5A will be called 5A.  The 7A will be called 6A.  The lower half of the current 5A will go to the upper half of the 4A.  For instance, Batesville, Harrison and others will be in the 5A Football conferences, but in other sports (Basketball, Soccer, etc) will be in 4A Districts.

Chief_Osceolaâ„¢

Quote from: Go Postal on December 14, 2017, 07:44:27 am
What to make it really screwed up, in all the other sports, is that the 6A and upper half of the 5A will be called 5A.  The 7A will be called 6A.  The lower half of the current 5A will go to the upper half of the 4A.  For instance, Batesville, Harrison and others will be in the 5A Football conferences, but in other sports (Basketball, Soccer, etc) will be in 4A Districts.

Mind blown.

VVBlazer

I completely agree.

AHS06

Quote from: Almatrackster on December 13, 2017, 08:08:33 pm

Include Texarkana to the list.  We were ahead of them but lost more students.

AHS06

Quote from: the voice on December 13, 2017, 08:12:33 pm
Alma dropped recently as well. Them and WC , seems like another I'm forgetting. Morrilton beat Russellville last year also. Just saying I don't think the gap is that big between average 6a teams and good 5a.  Will be interesting to see.
Alma is not an original 6A team and Morrilton did not beat Russellville last year.  However, you are correct regarding the gap between average 6A and good 5A.  WC actually proves your theory. 

AHS06

Quote from: Almatrackster on December 13, 2017, 08:14:40 pm
Parkview, voice, is the one you are forgetting. Albeit, Parkview wasn't having any type of success in 6A.

I thought Alma's success in 6A would mean a state championship game appearance, I'll admit.

I think Texarkana will be a contender, though.
Yeah Parkview battled Sheridan for the bottom of the 6A South.  Alma's success in 6A was during somewhat down years but they were competitive.  As Voice mentioned a good 5A team is comparable to an average 6A team. 

zebradynasty

AHS06

Quote from: zebradynasty on December 14, 2017, 04:32:25 pm
When was Alma in 6A?
Exactly. 2014-2015.  It was during the time they had the blended conferences and it was a mess.

AT

Quote from: zebradynasty on December 14, 2017, 04:32:25 pm
When was Alma in 6A?

I see how you think of us, ZD :(

We didn't make a big impression, but weren't exactly slouches either in football. Lost two close ones to Jonesboro in the playoffs.

Do you not remember when PB won the state championship in basketball as a 6 seed and they beat Alma in the semifinals while both teams shot 90 free throws combined? That game was an insult to basketball.

the voice

Quote from: AHS06 on December 14, 2017, 04:11:28 pm
Alma is not an original 6A team and Morrilton did not beat Russellville last year.  However, you are correct regarding the gap between average 6A and good 5A.  WC actually proves your theory. 
Morrilton did beat Russellville this past season.  And beat WC in the playoffs.  Alma moved up because of numbers and the conferences of 6a is still a mess. However Alma did hold their own. If Texarkana went 6-6 I think most would say that's an average 6a team.

zebrafan

Quote from: Almatrackster on December 14, 2017, 05:41:36 pm

We didn't make a big impression, but weren't exactly slouches either in football. Lost two close ones to Jonesboro in the playoffs.

Do you not remember when PB won the state championship in basketball as a 6 seed and they beat Alma in the semifinals while both teams shot 90 free throws combined? That game was an insult to basketball.
I do, almost played you guys in both f-ball and b-ball...I was looking forward to that!

AT

Quote from: zebrafan on December 14, 2017, 08:02:04 pm
I do, almost played you guys in both f-ball and b-ball...I was looking forward to that!

And baseball. I think we had a walk off grand slam against you guys in the playoffs. Alma and Pine Bluff almost had the playoff trifecta in one year.

zebradynasty

Quote from: Almatrackster on December 14, 2017, 05:41:36 pm

Sorry about that caught me slipping! I really had forgot about that nightmare blended conference mess!

AHS06

Quote from: the voice on December 14, 2017, 07:50:01 pm
  Morrilton did beat Russellville this past season.  And beat WC in the playoffs.  Alma moved up because of numbers and the conferences of 6a is still a mess. However Alma did hold their own. If Texarkana went 6-6 I think most would say that's an average 6a team.
You said last year but yes Morrilton beat Russellville this year.  Alma did what was expected and a good job.   We were average and according to your theory we'll be a pretty good 5A team.

the voice

Yes Russellville won the year before after a pick six gave them a 14-11 lead late in the ball game. I'm pretty sure that was their season low on offense.
I expect Texarkana to be good. I remember watching Dennis johnson years ago in WMS   

redsport27

My question is will the central continue its dominance despite all the changes? McClellan, Mills, and Sylvan Hills move out to bring in Maumelle, White Hall, and Watson Chapel. Now, McClellan and Sylvan Hills are both good programs and contributed a lot to the strength of the central conference. Those two teams moving out definitely bring questions to the table. White Hall and Watson Chapel move in from the south, and they were respected programs in the south. But with the south being the weakest conference, will they put up a fight with the powerhouses in the central? Maumelle is a good team out of the West, and the West is always a good conference. I'm pretty sure we will see a good showing from PA, LRCA, and Parkview, but will those three teams make noise during the season? That's just been on my mind.

Hoghead2

Quote from: the voice on December 12, 2017, 07:08:16 pm
Just seems that dropping down doesn't translate into domination as easily as some think. There's recently dropped down schools who can tell you.
I'm sure Texarkana will be good. Should be interesting, you named off half their losses who were the other three ?
Texarkana isn't Watson Chapel. This team coming into 5A has weapons and a defense. I see them as a strong finisher. PA is the monster of 5A. Texarkana will have a problem with them. But the Hogs will be tough. Barry Norton tough !!!

beaverfan007

How good can PA recruit this off season will tell what they will do next year

Overdahill

Complete Biased PoV

Quote from: the voice on December 13, 2017, 08:12:33 pm
Sylvan Hills used to be 6A and about to move back up, as well as Jacksonville.  Assuming you are just looking for teams that have moved down.

the voice

Thanks I forgot about those  as well!

ASUALUM2000

VV has 8 starters back on Defense and 5 on offense.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas