• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alma Airedale Basketball 2014-2015 (22-5) (10-3)

Started by AT, October 02, 2014, 11:15:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ahsalum

Quote from: athletic supporter on November 13, 2014, 09:49:02 am
I heard when he was born, he delivered himself and then slapped his own momma. Can you comfirm this Steve?

You know, I've heard that too.....at least around these parts.

I don't doubt it though.

Quote from: godeep on November 13, 2014, 12:51:29 pm
Never believed this Folkerts hype until I saw hiden video of him ripping Pete Maravich at halfcourt.

I was there the night he did that.

I felt like I had just climbed Everest on the way home after seeing that.

AT

Rumor has it that Luke Folkerts actually threw the skip pass to himself in the state championship game and shot the layup and it wasn't Matt Belk. The photos of Belk shooting the layup are doctored and everyone that saw it in person was blinded by Luke Folkets greatness.

ahsalum

Quote from: Almatrackster on November 13, 2014, 02:58:02 pm
was blinded by Luke Folkets greatness.

I used to get blinded all the time watching him play....until 5-0 and myself started wearing sunglasses to the games.

It was really the only way you could get a good glimpse of his expertise on the court.

ahsalum

The photos of Belk shooting the layup are doctored and everyone that saw it in person was blinded by Luke Folkets greatness.

Mattie B has been very upset ever since that happened. He still claims he made the game winning layup.......haha...silly boy.

AT

Quote from: Steve Perry on November 13, 2014, 03:22:48 pm
was blinded by Luke Folkets greatness.

I used to get blinded all the time watching him play....until 5-0 and myself started wearing sunglasses to the games.

It was really the only way you could get a good glimpse of his expertise on the court.

I'm surprised it took you guys THAT LONG to wear sunglasses to games.

Of course the rumor is that The Palace was built because Crabtree just couldn't handle you and 5-0 anymore

ahsalum

Starting line up guesses this year?

Folkerts
Lee
Parker
Beneaux
Friddle/Dotson/Corder??

You know.....I see flashes of Jake Folkerts' brilliance every now and then. I see Luke in him sometimes.

I think Friddle will get the nod probably with Dotson and Corder sharing some playing time. Dylan Mason should get some playing time...even though a soph. he is a big body and can play.

I could see 3 soph's getting some reps this year.

AT

Quote from: Steve Perry on November 13, 2014, 03:32:40 pm

Starting line up guesses this year?

Folkerts
Lee
Parker
Beneaux
Friddle/Dotson/Corder??

You know.....I see flashes of Jake Folkerts' brilliance every now and then. I see Luke in him sometimes.

I think Friddle will get the nod probably with Dotson and Corder sharing some playing time. Dylan Mason should get some playing time...even though a soph. he is a big body and can play.

I could see 3 soph's getting some reps this year.

I think Cluck will too. I've heard he's having the tough matchup with Fayetteville's big kid tonight. Cluck actually may start...Alma always has that one senior or junior who didn't play the year before and then plays a big role the next year. I think it will be him.

Parker
Lee
Folkerts

Those are the for sures.

I think Beneux would start because we need as much size as possible and he brings size and ball handling. Friddle's tenacity will be needed, not sure if he will start. It will be interesting to see how they work Corder and Dotson in. Coach Flenor likes to work those sophomores together (Widders and Jensen when they were sophs and Friddle and Beneux last year).

I never compare Jake to his brother, I just don't think it's fair. They are different players. The main thing I'd like to see from Jake this year is him stretching the floor with the 3 ball. He has shown he can shoot it sometimes but doesn't do it often or consistently. 

ahsalum

Cluck?

And I was talking about the fundamental soundness(especially the way he blocks out) of comparing them.

AT

November 13, 2014, 03:44:46 pm #58 Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 03:47:15 pm by Almatrackster
Yeah Will Cluck.

I get what you mean by Jake. Both played hard nosed and wanted/want the ball in their hands.

I don't know Dylan Mason myself

EDIT: haha, I DID NOT mean to call him Jakie

Brian G

Props to Alma.  They were very game.  Led most of the way with a short bench. FHS rolled through 14 kids and eventually wore them down and got some inside points.

I think Alma had a 13-0 run in the first.  I believe the score was 55-48 in a 3 quarter game.

ahsalum

Quote from: B.G. on November 13, 2014, 09:21:48 pm
Props to Alma.  They were very game.  Led most of the way with a short bench. FHS rolled through 14 kids and eventually wore them down and got some inside points.

I think Alma had a 13-0 run in the first.  I believe the score was 55-48 in a 3 quarter game.

I saw where my man Austin Lee broke some ankles on a sick crossover.....not too shabby for a white boy.

ahsalum

Quote from: Almatrackster on November 13, 2014, 03:26:24 pm
Of course the rumor is that The Palace was built because Crabtree just couldn't handle you and 5-0 anymore

Complaints from fans to the admin, about our antics was probably the main cause. We weren't well liked by even our own people.

Basketball13

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on October 12, 2014, 11:45:46 pm
Don't wanna fight with you, BigMan, but I don't think you realize that Alma is a really good 6A team. They'd beat everyone in the 3A by 20+

I could see them losing to Charleston TBH.

ahsalum

Quote from: Basketball13 on November 14, 2014, 10:28:50 am
Quote from: 12th Man CHS on October 12, 2014, 11:45:46 pm
Don't wanna fight with you, BigMan, but I don't think you realize that Alma is a really good 6A team. They'd beat everyone in the 3A by 20+

I could see them losing to Charleston TBH.

Maybe on a cold, dark, rainy night in a County Line gym at 3:00 A.M....

But not in prime time in The Palace........I could be wrong, but it would be the first time since June of 2011....

Hawaii Five-0™

Quote from: Almatrackster on October 11, 2014, 02:04:43 pm
Quote from: BigMan15 on October 11, 2014, 01:59:59 pm
Yes i have never been there but i hear that yall have one of the best gyms in the state...

We most definitely do. We are very lucky to have it. Everything about the arena is top notch. By far one of the best. Glad to see new fans see the arena, Alma is proud to show it off.

Our assistant coach, Coach Stahler, used to be the head basketball coach at Paris I believe. I wonder if he had anything to playing Paris this year.
Almatrackster we don't mind showing off our palace to new fans as long as they know where Steve Perry and I sit. Hate it when we have to get our security crew to remove them from our row.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Hawaii Five-0™ on November 14, 2014, 11:16:56 pm
Quote from: Almatrackster on October 11, 2014, 02:04:43 pm
Quote from: BigMan15 on October 11, 2014, 01:59:59 pm
Yes i have never been there but i hear that yall have one of the best gyms in the state...

We most definitely do. We are very lucky to have it. Everything about the arena is top notch. By far one of the best. Glad to see new fans see the arena, Alma is proud to show it off.

Our assistant coach, Coach Stahler, used to be the head basketball coach at Paris I believe. I wonder if he had anything to playing Paris this year.
Almatrackster we don't mind showing off our palace to new fans as long as they know where Steve Perry and I sit. Hate it when we have to get our security crew to remove them from our row.

5-0, you already giving up on football? I heard you were not even living in these parts anymore...

Hawaii Five-0™

No Coach V, not giving up on football. Been to all the home games, work and grandkids keep me from going to all the games. I read on the football board you'll building up a lot of friends in Alma, hahaha

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Hawaii Five-0™ on November 16, 2014, 08:19:53 pm
No Coach V, not giving up on football. Been to all the home games, work and grandkids keep me from going to all the games. I read on the football board you'll building up a lot of friends in Alma, hahaha
Hey man, regardless of what happens 5-0 you will always be my friend...us old schoolers know how to dish it and take it...these youngsters could take some lessons from you, Steve and myself...

AT

Has anyone heard if they are streaming the games on the NFHS network? It looks like they are planning to but I haven't heard anything solid.

ahsalum

Quote from: Almatrackster on November 17, 2014, 08:25:07 am
Has anyone heard if they are streaming the games on the NFHS network? It looks like they are planning to but I haven't heard anything solid.

I haven't heard anything.

SNWA

I cant wait til Feb 17th.....we will be bringing a large posse and will get there about 4 pm and take the whole frt rows...... ;D ;D ;D

ahsalum

Quote from: SNWA on November 17, 2014, 10:16:24 am
I cant wait til Feb 17th.....we will be bringing a large posse and will get there about 4 pm and take the whole frt rows...... ;D ;D ;D

Yeah we'll see how that goes over.....

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Steve Perry on November 17, 2014, 10:54:37 am
Quote from: SNWA on November 17, 2014, 10:16:24 am

Yeah we'll see how that goes over.....
lol...

DogsWin7

How does the Airedalettes look for this year?      I haven't seen a lot posted on them. 

ahsalum

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on November 19, 2014, 04:55:31 am
How does the Airedalettes look for this year?      I haven't seen a lot posted on them. 

We lost to Clarksville in a benefit game last night 80-75......but that doesn't mean a whole lot...have 3 returning starters i think?? Wright, Ostrander and Rainwater??  Think that's right...

ahsalum

Luke Folkerts was in Crabtree last night. He is coaching the Muldrow 9th grade boys team.

As I sat and watched him coach, I felt an overwhelming urge to eat wild mushrooms and take a magic carpet ride....i felt euphoric to say the least.

But as i left, that feeling subsided quickly....that is just the effect that Luke apparently still has on people....he's still got it.

It was good to see him again though.

Brian G

The dude just needs his own reality tv show.

AT

Alma plays their first game tonight against Lake Hamilton at Charles B. Dyer Arena in Alma. Girls at 6:00, boys after.

AT

December 02, 2014, 09:55:40 pm #79 Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 04:49:23 pm by Almatrackster
Girls
Alma - 45
Lake Hamilton - 51
Final

Boys
Alma - 55
Lake Hamilton - 48
Final in OT

The boys game was a good matchup for a first game. I'm glad Alma scheduled them because it tested the Airedales and gave them a lot of good experience.

Lake Hamilton controlled much of the game. The Wolves played at their pace and led until late in the 4th. They played slow and played a zone defense to keep Alma from running the dribble-drive.

A frustrating game to watch for awhile as an Airedale fan as the football guys were rusty and our "in the gym all year" guys were a little off too. The 'Dales scored 14 points in the first half.

After half, you could tell Coach Flenor and Stahler gave them quite the pep talk as they came out more ready and started closing the gap on Lake Hamilton. Austin Lee and Jake Folkerts didn't have great first halves, but came out and made some huge plays in the 2nd half.

I think the player of the game should go to Will Cluck, though. He made some great defensive and tough nosed offensive plays.

The rust for both teams was obvious. Lake Hamilton had their two best players in foul trouble and Alma's best players were not on most of the night, but Alma found a way to win. This team does what all Alma basketball teams do, never quit fighting and gut out wins even when they aren't pretty.

I was happy with our bench production. Coach Flenor went with the bench to start the 4th which was risky, but those guys played their tail ends off and got us back in the game just in time for Braylon, Jake, and Austin to come in and seal the deal.

Overtime was all Alma.

backatyou

Why doesn't Van Buren enter the Crawford County tournament?

AT

Little Rock Christian @ LRC tonight for the Airedales. I'm guessing the girls start at 6 and boys start after. I won't be able to attend, so I'll have to just relay the scores if someone else doesn't do it before me.

SNWA

backatyou, I think they see it like the Hogs playing Arkansas State....too much to lose with not enough to gain. Hate that. It is not a true county tournament without them.

jking7

December 06, 2014, 11:22:36 am #83 Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 11:27:46 am by jking7
Quote from: SNWA on December 05, 2014, 04:44:44 pm
backatyou, I think they see it like the Hogs playing Arkansas State....too much to lose with not enough to gain. Hate that. It is not a true county tournament without them.

That's pretty much it.. Nothing against the teams playing but if Van Buren played  and won nobody  would really say anything about how great they are for winning but if they say lost first round people would be talking about how something is wrong with them.. With that being said I wish they would play in it  since it's the county tournament.. Always fun to see other teams from this area play. They do play in the tourny in VB but that's not really the same.. A lot of schools outside of Crawford are In that one.

AT

Finals from last night:

Girls
Little Rock Christian - 59
Alma - 63

Boys
Little Rock Christian - 32
Alma - 60

The road sweep. Great job Airedales/Airedalettes!

The only thing I could find about LR Christian on maxpreps is that they had beat Arkansas Baptist 57-50 earlier in the year. Don't know anything else about them other than they went from the 5A Central to the 5A West this year.

AT

Bentonville just beat VB tonight @ VB. That is Alma's next opponent (Tuesday at Charles B. Dyer Arena in Alma) and may be Alma's toughest opponent of the year.

I'm planning on being there Tuesday night.

Yak

I heard LRC girls and boys were pretty good...if so, quality win by Alma

AT

Quote from: Yak on December 07, 2014, 09:18:05 pm
I heard LRC girls and boys were pretty good...if so, quality win by Alma

I know LR Christian girls are usually pretty solid. LR Christian boys I heard were solid this year just like you. I guess we'll see as 5A West conference games play out.

Razorback Red

Quote from: Almatrackster on December 06, 2014, 09:42:17 pm
Bentonville just beat VB tonight @ VB. That is Alma's next opponent (Tuesday at Charles B. Dyer Arena in Alma) and may be Alma's toughest opponent of the year.

I'm planning on being there Tuesday night.

I know it's a week night, but I really hope Alma packs out the gym tomorrow night to see Malik play. 

ahsalum

Quote from: backatyou on December 05, 2014, 01:21:04 pm

It's simple.

They are scared.

TheMercenary

Quote from: Steve Perry on December 09, 2014, 08:36:00 am
Quote from: backatyou on December 05, 2014, 01:21:04 pm

It's simple.

They are scared.

;D of who? Not this year.

You are probably right though most years- Hogs vs. A-State argument.

Almahasbeen

First and foremost... GO ALMA AIREDALES!! This is the best alma team since the 2011 team. These boys can play ladies and gentlemen

AB™

Really impressive defensive gameplan and execution by Alma tonight.  Monk got 20ish points, but he shot a terrible percentage to get those points.  I know he didn't make a three and attempted about 10, and I'm guessing he shot well below 50% on his 2P field goals, too.  He's undeniably talented, though, and I'm sure tonight was an off night for him, too.  Alma's arena might've effected his shot some, too.  Although I would've figured this isn't the first time he's played and shot in an arena style gym.

AT

Girls

Alma - 45
Bentonville - 63

FINAL

Boys

Alma - 68
Bentonville - 65

FINAL

Brian G

Almahasbeen

The kid can play as well as the rest of the team! The Airedales played every last ounce of guts that they had! So proud of our boys but really looking forward to the future of Malik! Good luck to him and the tigers the rest of this year

AT

December 09, 2014, 11:15:12 pm #97 Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 11:22:36 pm by Almatrackster
I'll give my synopsis. Very proud of the guys team. They put the Pride in Airedale Pride (don't laugh)

It was a back and forth affair for three quarters. Bentonville had a six point lead I believe at one point in the 2nd quarter, but Alma cut it down pretty quickly before half and it was 28-25 at halftime.

Monk comes out right off the opening tip...backs down his man to the block, turns around and banks a jumper off the glass.

Everyone in the Palace thought "This is going to be a long night."

After that, Monk never got things going really. I believe I saw where he was 1 for 12 from the 3 point line. The one he made was as time expired in the game and Alma didn't even bother to guard him.

His percentage inside the arc would improve his field goal percentage but if it was anything high above 30%, I'd be surprised.

Alma just played great team defense.

Austin Lee, and yes I'm serious, played the best basketball on the floor tonight.

Heath Friddle for Alma got the man-to-man matchup with Monk for the most part and didn't back down. His defense was huge. But the team helped out. Beneux played against him sometimes and got the wrong end of some foul calls, but played big for us too.

Braylon and Jake made some huge shots...

Cluck, Corder, and Dotson all came off the bench in crucial moments and kept Alma in the game.

Alma started to pull away in the 4th.

Not much to say other than there were a lot of plays that could have swung the game either way, but Alma found a way to win...

AT

By the way, probably the best non conference win Alma has had in a very long time...

Almahasbeen

Trackster if we can pull a win against vb where would you rank this team to the past 5 years of teams or even ten years

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas