• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3A-1E Next Year

Started by bobcats, March 17, 2014, 06:27:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bobcats

Things will definitely look different next season.  Outside of Flippin and Yellville, everyone else loses most of their scoring.  Should be interesting to see which teams young players step up to fill the holes.  I know Melbourne and Valley lose all five starters and Mtn View loses four.  Flippin should be at the top with everyone else battling it out. 

HeadTiger

March 17, 2014, 07:34:08 pm #1 Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 07:36:57 pm by HeadTiger
1. Flippin- by far the most talented. Politte, Rogers, and that 6'5 "post" player. With the two good shooters
2. Valley-yes, they return hogue, 2 6'5 post players, and a good shooter that's a work in progress. Along with Johnny who will have this team ready to go by October.
3. Yellville- they could easily swap out and be the 2, and valley could be the 3. They have some raw talent. Depends on who their new coach is..
4. Mt. View- return 6'7 big guy. He should be enough to lock up the 4 spot
5. Marshall- had a good jr. high team, but still 2 or 3 years from being top 3.
6. Cotter- very similar to Marshall
7. Bergman- another down year for the panthers. Still a few years and a good coach away from being average
8. Melbourne- don't know much about them. Had a weak junior high team, and had no depth last year in senior high.
9. Green Forest- I'm just assuming they will be at the bottom end. Don't know much about them.

bobcats

Quote from: HeadTiger on March 17, 2014, 07:34:08 pm
1. Flippin- by far the most talented. Politte, Rogers, and that 6'5 "post" player. With the two good shooters
2. Valley-yes, they return hogue, 2 6'5 post players, and a good shooter that's a work in progress. Along with Johnny who will have this team ready to go by October.
3. Yellville- they could easily swap out and be the 2, and valley could be the 3. They have some raw talent. Depends on who their new coach is..
4. Mt. View- return 6'7 big guy. He should be enough to lock up the 4 spot
5. Marshall- had a good jr. high team, but still 2 or 3 years from being top 3.
6. Cotter- very similar to Marshall
7. Bergman- another down year for the panthers. Still a few years and a good coach away from being average
8. Melbourne- don't know much about them. Had a weak junior high team, and had no depth last year in senior high.
9. Green Forest- I'm just assuming they will be at the bottom end. Don't know much about them.

I wouldn't argue much with your comments except to say 2-5 could finish in any order depending on who develops their young talent.

hawgball11

Conference will definitely look much different next year. Lots of seniors. Flippin should be very good. No way Bergman will be 7th. They made it to district finals in junior high last two years. They have two strong classes in a row. I think Marshall could be better than fifth as well. Their junior boys were very good and will return some role players. October is a long ways away!

HeadTiger

I remember valley having a really good jr high team a few years ago and it didn't translate to sr high until this past year. I've watched both Bergman and Marshall's junior teams and niether are top 4 yet in my opinion.

TheOfficial

Girls:

Valley Springs
Melbourne
Mt View
Bergman
Flippin
Yellville
Marshall
Green Forest
Cotter

bobcats

Quote from: TheOfficial on March 19, 2014, 04:16:46 pm
Girls:

Valley Springs
Melbourne
Mt View
Bergman
Flippin
Yellville
Marshall
Green Forest
Cotter

Considering what they have returning, Valley and Melbourne should have some battles next year.

bulldog42

It will be interesting to see how the coaching changes effect things.  So far Yellville-Summit has hired Broc Adams.  Melbourne boys are open, plus Flippin and Bergman girls.  As usual should be an interesting year in the ole 3A1E.

bobcats

Several of the conf boys teams played in a tourn in Harrison a few weekends back.  Anyone there to see any games?

HawgDaddy

Only Yellville-Summit and maybe Cotter had what could be considered a varsity squad there.  Flippin boys will win the league next season and it won't be close really.  Yellville-Summit could finish top 3, but I like this order:

1. Flippin
2. Valley Springs
3. Yellville-Summit
4. Bergman
5. Marshall
6. Mtn. View
7. Cotter
8. Green Forest
9. Melbourne

we_hate_the_band

Quote from: HeadTiger on March 18, 2014, 02:31:23 pm
I remember valley having a really good jr high team a few years ago and it didn't translate to sr high until this past year. I've watched both Bergman and Marshall's junior teams and niether are top 4 yet in my opinion.

How many kids off the Jr High team went to Grove and Bergman?

bobcats

Quote from: HawgDaddy on May 08, 2014, 01:04:06 pm
Only Yellville-Summit and maybe Cotter had what could be considered a varsity squad there.  Flippin boys will win the league next season and it won't be close really.  Yellville-Summit could finish top 3, but I like this order:

1. Flippin
2. Valley Springs
3. Yellville-Summit
4. Bergman
5. Marshall
6. Mtn. View
7. Cotter
8. Green Forest
9. Melbourne

HawgDaddy, what do you know that I don't about Bergman.  Last place last year and lost 5 senior starters, but you have them moving up to 4th.  Not questioning your poll, just your knowledge of Bergman.  I assume you have VS so lofty because of JT.  The last jr champs in order are Flippin, YS and Marshall.  Flippin should be 1 with the other 2 finishing 2nd and 3rd. 

1.  Flippin
2.  Marshall
3.  YS
4.  VS
5.  Mtn View
6.  Bergman
7.  Cotter
8.  GF
9.  Melbourne

Please note I have no knowledge of Cotter or Gf other than neither was very successful last year.

HawgDaddy

Winning in jr. high doesn't always translate to sr. high.  Yellville and Marshall have beaten Bergman the past two season in jr. high district finals.  Bergman didn't graduate 5 senior starters, they only had 4 seniors that played minutes.  They also added back a kid that was dismissed from the team just before season last year and another quality player that didn't play last season.  They will be quick and athletic.  The best jr. high guard in the league moves up.  They'll be deeper, but they'll lack size.  They are picked fourth because they will be in the gym every day between now and then and won't deal with football. 

The league will be down a bunch.  Yellville has top two talent, but Valley will be good.  Their jv played several games and have size and athletes.  JT will split with Yellville and steal the 2nd spot.  The year Flippin won the jr district, they beat MV in the finals, but survived a scare from Bergman in the semifinals that year.  MV could challenge for top 4, but frankly, 4-9 is going to be very average teams. 

bobcats

I stand corrected on the senior starters.  The did lose Morrison, Tabor and the big kid.  I hope we run across them somewhere this summer.

HeadTiger

Valley lost 1 jr high starter to grove a few years ago. And he would not have made an impact on the senior high team, as he didn't even start for grove and didn't get quality minutes for them. I stand by my argument that good jr high teams aren't real good for a few years in sr high.

we_hate_the_band

Valley lost 99.9 percent of their offense and defense. They will be lucky to sniff 5th.

And still no acknowledgement of the Evans kid transferring to Bergman? Hes doing great at NorthArk.

WPWells

Charleston's great junior high (this year'a junior class never lost a game in junior high) isn't doing so bad

we_hate_the_band

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on May 09, 2014, 09:57:52 am
Charleston's great junior high (this year'a junior class never lost a game in junior high) isn't doing so bad

But charleston doesn't have the tradition that Valley has! Charleston wastes their time on frivolous sports like football instead of focusing their athletes on basketball! Valley is the premier 3A athletic program for all eternity!

Moonshiner

This group of Sr.s at Valley did not have a really good jr. High team.  The conference was down in JH then as well.

bobcats

I believe Flippin was pretty good in jr high a couple years ago and that has translated to sr high pretty well for them.

bulldog42

Quote from: bobcats on May 09, 2014, 12:51:04 pm

I believe Flippin was pretty good in jr high a couple years ago and that has translated to sr high pretty well for them.
They were 31-1 a couple of years ago but it was not instant success.  The 10th grade year after that the team finished 4th in conference.  Last year finished 3rd.  This year will be a lot better, but it is not instant.  I agree with what one poster said is that is sometimes takes a while. 

bobcats

Quote from: bulldog42 on May 09, 2014, 01:03:07 pm
Quote from: bobcats on May 09, 2014, 12:51:04 pm

They were 31-1 a couple of years ago but it was not instant success.  The 10th grade year after that the team finished 4th in conference.  Last year finished 3rd.  This year will be a lot better, but it is not instant.  I agree with what one poster said is that is sometimes takes a while.

I don't disagree with you about it not being an instant success.  But I would not discount kids because they are 10th graders.  Every team in the league would like to have had Flippin's All State 10th grade point guard this year.

Bergman1820

Quote from: we_hate_the_band on May 09, 2014, 09:57:01 am
Valley lost 99.9 percent of their offense and defense. They will be lucky to sniff 5th.

And still no acknowledgement of the Evans kid transferring to Bergman? Hes doing great at NorthArk.

I didn't realize Austin Evans was once a Tiger!!

HeadTiger

May 11, 2014, 10:14:44 pm #23 Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 11:48:10 pm by HeadTiger
I was apart of that junior high team. We were 26-2 with losses to Harrison(by 3. That Harrison team made it to state semi's this year) and mtn view @ mtn view. Y'all can say what you want but 26-2 is a heck of a jr high record.

But back to the point valleys 3rd leading scorer is back. He is also their best athlete. Got two 6'6 guys coach Taylor will develop into good players. Y'all will owe me am apology when valley gets 2nd next year. I also remember you guys doubting us this past year saying we would get 4th or 5th in confernce... If you guys catch my jest ;)

HeadTiger

Bobcats,

I remember you saying Marshall was in the top tier of the 3a-1east last year... And they finished 5th... Maybe you should get to practice and coach em up a little instead of talkin em up

bobcats

Quote from: HeadTiger on May 11, 2014, 11:49:54 pm
Bobcats,

I remember you saying Marshall was in the top tier of the 3a-1east last year... And they finished 5th... Maybe you should get to practice and coach em up a little instead of talkin em up

I'm pretty sure Coach Drennan doesn't want me hanging around practice "coaching" anyone up.  By the way, not impressed by the Marshall jr team, check out the score of their VS game.  It was something like 48-11.

HeadTiger

Coach drennan, I'm talking sr high basketball. Not jr high.

bobcats

Quote from: HeadTiger on May 12, 2014, 07:20:37 am
Coach drennan, I'm talking sr high basketball. Not jr high.

Let's get this straight!  I am not Coach Drennan.  I do have a son on the team.

HawgDaddy

Settle down...this is May.  Don't get fired up until November.  Valley Springs will be pretty good in this conference next year.  The league will be down. Flippin will be the best conference team by far.  They could go undefeated and probably should.  Yellville and Valley Springs will be the next two talented teams.  I'll take Johnny Taylor over Broc Adams to finish second. The other will finish third.  Bergman, Marshall, Mtn. View, and Cotter are in the next group.  Who knows how they'll finish.  Melbourne and Green Forest will finish at the bottom. 

Austin Evans was a great player for Bergman.  He transferred to Bergman from Valley Springs in the second semester of his 8th grade year.  He is now doing great at North Arkansas College.  I'm proud of the player he developed into and he is even a better young man. 

we_hate_the_band

Quote from: HeadTiger on May 11, 2014, 10:14:44 pm
I was apart of that junior high team. We were 26-2 with losses to Harrison(by 3. That Harrison team made it to state semi's this year) and mtn view @ mtn view. Y'all can say what you want but 26-2 is a heck of a jr high record.

But back to the point valleys 3rd leading scorer is back. He is also their best athlete. Got two 6'6 guys coach Taylor will develop into good players. Y'all will owe me am apology when valley gets 2nd next year. I also remember you guys doubting us this past year saying we would get 4th or 5th in confernce... If you guys catch my jest ;)

Cool story bro. Passed a spelling or grammar test lately?

HeadTiger

Sorry to offend you. Clearly you have no more arguments other than to make fun of me for spelling and grammar on a forum where 90% of the posters do not use correct grammar, punctuation, or spelling. You're also more than likely someone on a team that we beat in this conference. I'm sorry to offend you by my facts, but please change your username. It's quite contradictory to you making fun of me. Also tell me where "bro" is in the dictionary? It's slang for BROTHER.... But is not a word. Thank you.

we_hate_the_band

Quote from: HeadTiger on May 12, 2014, 04:12:58 pm
Sorry to offend you. Clearly you have no more arguments other than to make fun of me for spelling and grammar on a forum where 90% of the posters do not use correct grammar, punctuation, or spelling. You're also more than likely someone on a team that we beat in this conference. I'm sorry to offend you by my facts, but please change your username. It's quite contradictory to you making fun of me. Also tell me where "bro" is in the dictionary? It's slang for BROTHER.... But is not a word. Thank you.

As the husband of VSHS Alumna, you displease me.

I have no affiliations with basketball in this conference. I do enjoy watching it. Several of my good friends coach in it. I deal in people, facts and truth. If you played for VS in the past 10 years, I've probably watched 25% of your home games. Whether you actually got minutes, that's debatable.

And if you love the band, you were probably more involved with it than athletics. Not surprising as much as you toot your own horn.

Basketballfan13

Is this district going to be in a different region for this coming year?

bulldog42

Quote from: Basketballfan13 on May 13, 2014, 12:54:20 pm
Is this district going to be in a different region for this coming year?
Last I heard is no, it is the same region

HeadTiger

No debate about the minutes. And I'm not going to start "tooting my own horn", or I'd show you up in that part of the discussion too. I stated facts about the team next year and you tried correcting my spelling becuase you had no farther arguments. "You mad bro?"

And P.S. It's alumni ;)

we_hate_the_band

Quote from: HeadTiger on May 13, 2014, 02:54:28 pm
No debate about the minutes. And I'm not going to start "tooting my own horn", or I'd show you up in that part of the discussion too. I stated facts about the team next year and you tried correcting my spelling becuase you had no farther arguments. "You mad bro?"

And P.S. It's alumni ;)

Nope. She's a she. Not a he. Nor is she a group, although you would think she was the team back in the day.

I admire Valley's basketball tradition. They do a great job k-12 preparing the kids. As a casual observer, I see a down year for valley. Not much returning IMHO. They will beat the football schools first time through, probably sweep Melbourne, GF and cotter, but they will have some battles with flippin and MV. Yellville is not the basketball super power they believe they are. Neither is Marshall, but I put more stock in them than yellville (even talent, 20x better game management). And Bergman... Uh.... They couldn't beat def leppards drummer in a clapping contest.

Googlymoogly

Quote from: HeadTiger on May 13, 2014, 02:54:28 pm
And P.S. It's alumni ;)
Alumni is a group of males or a combined group of males and females. Alumnus refers to a single male. Alumna refers to a single female. Alumnae refers to a group of just females.

Googlymoogly

To get back on topic....
Yes, I do believe the boys' conference race should be owned by Flippin next year. Shouldn't even be close.
But I don't think there is a clear cut favorite for the runner-up spot. Valley Springs has as good a chance as anyone really. And I think the Tigers' main competition for second will be Mountain View, Yellville-summit and Marshall. Melbourne will fall off a bit, Cotter will be better than last year but still won't figure into the race. Green Forest has been bad for years, just no basketball players there anymore. And who knows what in the world is going on at Bergman anymore.
On the girls side, the Valley Springs girls should dominate the league again. In fact, they have a shot at the state title, if not this coming the season the next season for sure. Mountain View will depend on if they move the freshman Shelton girl up or not. Melbourne will depend on if their stud freshman from last year is going to be back (a rumor I heard said she is moving). Marshall, Cotter and Green Forest will be at the bottom. Flippin lost six of their top seven players and their coach, so its a rebuilding year. I usually never count out Bergman, but Bobby Howard won't be there stomping and yelling on the sideline so I don't know what's going to happen there. Yellville-Summit has been at the bottom of that conference for years, even suffering through an 0-22 season two years ago. They will have a pretty good sophomore class taking over this coming year, and they may even make a run for the fourth regional spot this year.

Sorry, I didn't mean to ramble on...

Googlymoogly

Since Melbourne is now losing its best player, I don't think the Lady Bearkatz are going to be a factor in the race for first now. I would still put them ahead of Marshall Cotter and Green Forest though

HorseFeathers

When will bergman make a decision on their new coach

Bergman1820

Quote from: HF on May 24, 2014, 12:56:55 pm
When will bergman make a decision on their new coach

I was hoping that if a decision had been made the name would have been leaked by now. Lol

HorseFeathers

James halitza got the job.

ZoneBuster

He's a missouri guy, right? I know of one Bergman parent that seemed excited by the hire.

ZoneBuster

Quote from: we_hate_the_band on May 09, 2014, 09:57:01 am

May have to do with Evans being a year older than the group of players being discussed.

Bergman1820

Quote from: ZoneBuster on May 28, 2014, 03:30:57 pm
He's a missouri guy, right? I know of one Bergman parent that seemed excited by the hire.

Ya he coached in Mo last year, but was at Weiner before that. He seems really excited and ready to jump right in and get started.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: vstigerz on May 28, 2014, 07:26:00 pm

Ya he coached in Mo last year, but was at Weiner before that. He seems really excited and ready to jump right in and get started.

He was at Emmet before that...so pretty sure he's an Arkie fella.

ZoneBuster

Any idea what school in Missouri? I went to college up there and am curious if I've seen much of his teams.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: ZoneBuster on May 28, 2014, 11:36:54 pm
Any idea what school in Missouri? I went to college up there and am curious if I've seen much of his teams.

He was just there for a year....and I'll see if I can find out..

bulldog42

May 29, 2014, 09:53:38 am #48 Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 09:55:39 am by bulldog42
OK with all the coaching changes I thought I would try to catch everyone up on who is coaching where.  Please let me know if I have anything wrong. I noted those that are new for the upcoming year.  There is still one opening in the conference and that is Melbourne Girls:

Bergman:
Boys: Bo Martin, Girls: James Halitzka(New)
Cotter:
Boys: Chad Wheeler, Girls: Allison Handy
Flippin:
Boys: Dion Hargrove, Girls: Jason Hughes (New)
Green Forest:
Boys: Brandon Stone, Girls: Kyle Farrar
Marshall:
Boys: Kelby Drennan, Girls: Derek Shaw
Melbourne:
Boys: Dennis Wilson (New), Girls: OPEN
Mt View:
Boys: Jeff Morrow, Girls: Steve Ross
Valley Springs:
Boys: Johnny Taylor, Girls: Kimberly Jenkins
Yellville-Summit:
Boys: Broc Adams (New), Girls: Kara Busch

HorseFeathers

Talked to coach Halitza...He reads these boards, and I think you offended him with the calling him a Missouri guy lol. He's from Western Arkansas(Acorn), Got both his Degrees in Arkansas...and until last year had only coached in Arkansas. And he was at Kennet Missouri Last year..

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas