• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Academics

Started by WPWells, March 13, 2014, 08:40:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WPWells

There has been some talk on here the past couple days as both Charleston and ECS are known as pretty strong schools academically as well as athletically. I thought this would be an interesting place to see what 3A basketball players have accepted major academic scholarships and will be going pro in something other than sports. I'll start with someone I know: Lauren Clark of the Lamar Lady Warriors received an Honors College fellowship worth $50000 over the four years at the University of Arkansas. This is a top 3 scholarship at the University, and it's a very big deal to be known as a fellow!

Pastureboy21

William Pollock from Episcopal also received the Fellowship scholarship at Arkansas yesterday

WPWells

I didn't know he was coming up! I could've talked to him about it

johnharrison

March 13, 2014, 11:39:40 am #3 Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 11:11:11 am by johnharrison
No question both schools are powerhouses academically.  I've never seen the athletes pulled out by themselves, but for the Class of 2013, 70% of the class had scholarship offers of $4.7 million.  Since a high percentage of students (80%) are also athletes there is a huge overlap.

The range of colleges at which applicants were accepted is quite broad (http://www.episcopalcollegiate.org/page.cfm?p=1120

(Actually most of the ESC kids only applied at Pulaski Tech, but they had one Quiz Bowl guy who applied at 127 schools and got in all of them.  LOL)

RTF

charleston has had a lot success recently in athletics but Academics is still lacking. As a matter of fact they were about average. Paris is a top 25 public school system and Lamar was just outside that.

WPWells

Charleston had 6/53 graduates last year have at least a 30 on the ACT. What other public schools can say they have that high of a ratio?

RTF

According to the Arkansas State Dept. of Education Charleston for 2012 was below state average on half the categories on the ACT and at average on the rest. I bet 2013 was the same.. here i did the research for you since im bored a ****

RTF

WPWells

You totally ignored my point

Also, this was supposed to be a happy thread to celebrate people's accomplishments. Not a thread for you to come out of your sad little hole and bash Charleston

neds

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on March 14, 2014, 02:01:36 pm
You totally ignored my point

Also, this was supposed to be a happy thread to celebrate people's accomplishments. Not a thread for you to come out of your sad little hole and bash Charleston

Agree!

beach bum

March 14, 2014, 03:45:54 pm #10 Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 04:11:22 pm by beach bum
I have always said if I had a job in the Ft Smith area I would live in Charleston.... as an outside opinion its the best small town in the River Valley. You can tell the town really cares about itself. I am from NWA. Charleston reminds me a lot of the small NWA towns.

WPWells

RTF is just a Charleston hater and Charleston is so successful this year in athletics that he has to hate on our academics (which are quite good by the way). I know of at least four students in this year's graduating class who have at least a 30

neds

Like Kojack is for U maybe he can be our mascot on Sat.

WPWells

You'd definitely need a leash on RTF!

HorseFeathers

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on March 14, 2014, 11:14:44 am
Charleston had 6/53 graduates last year have at least a 30 on the ACT. What other public schools can say they have that high of a ratio?

Charleston only had a 53 person graduating class last year? Is there a drop to 2A in store for them or was that an unusually small class? Hector(around middle of 2A enrollment wise) graduates around 45 most years, and I think we have some classes close to 55-60 range in junior high. More curious than anything, ok more scared at the thought of Charleston being back in our conference haha...

Granny4two

Quote from: RTF on March 14, 2014, 11:09:37 am
charleston has had a lot success recently in athletics but Academics is still lacking. As a matter of fact they were about average. Paris is a top 25 public school system and Lamar was just outside that.

You better check standardized test scores!  You are clueless!

WPWells

Last year was a very small graduating class for Charleston (this year is closer to 75) but Charleston is in the bottom part of the 3A enrollment-wise

-Painted Fan-

Charleston is the 2nd smallest school in Conference 4-3A, just behind Lavaca and above Danville.
The graduating class of 2014-15 will have one of the largest (if not the largest) classes in school history- about 90 students.

junkyard dog

Just like the son of a friend going to Nimitz High School in Irving, Tx. once said. They would much rather go to a small school and be known by your name than to be another person walking down the crowded hallway.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: -Painted Fan- on March 14, 2014, 08:05:53 pm
Charleston is the 2nd smallest school in Conference 4-3A, just behind Lavaca and above Danville.
The graduating class of 2014-15 will have one of the largest (if not the largest) classes in school history- about 90 students.

Good...stay in 3A...we don't want you back in the 4-2A :D...

DogsWin7

Quote from: RTF on March 14, 2014, 11:09:37 am

First this is a High School Sports Website.   There isn't a school in AR that you can't go and find some area of weakness....whether it is in one subject or athletics.   All things from some peoples point of view can be improved.

Second....Who cares about Paris??   Lol!!     Those are Rival schools to Charleston just like the mighty Golden Arrows.  ;) lol!!

HeadTiger

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/arkansas/districts/valley-springs-school-district/valley-springs-high-school-1474

I am a valley springs almuni and thought i would post this if y'all want to argue academics. I know this is between ECS and charleston but thought I'd point this out.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas