• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Opinions on Referees in Charleston State Tourney?

Started by Raiderville, March 12, 2014, 04:27:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Raiderville

I know refs cannot please everyone even calling the games right still gonna have ignorance from opposite sides!! I watched several games at charleston and IMO the quality of officiating was struggling for the majority!! Wondering everyones opinions??

Even though if a team is ready I dont feel refs can get u beat but they can for sure hurt! I know for instance one of the refs officiating our game had refd several of our home games and at times had argued with fans and one time made a racist gesture!!

Raiderville

For the record before anyone gets started lol, no im not saying refs got the Lady Raiders beat.. They beat theirselves, Congrats to Harding Academy girls for the trip to the finals.

neds

My only comment as I attended no games is that Charleston was in a 'no win'
situation on being accused of getting preferential treatment on calls.
Just the hat they wore for hosting.

WPWells

I didn't see any Charleston games in person but people I spoke to who did said the officiating was fine in those games. The only game where I really thought officiating was subpar was BHG-Fordyce. There was no bias either way but it wasn't very good officiatig

unleasheddad

From most of the comments I got from fans, and I talked to a lot of them at the games, was the officiating was not a factor at all. Sure, some people thought that they had some calls they didn't agree with, but overall, it was consistent for every team. Blaming the officials for losing a game is an old, lame, worn out excuse that is used too often. Sure they do miss a few calls, and get a few calls totally wrong, but that's just part of the game when humans are involved in making on the spot judgement calls in a fast paced game involving several players and coaches at the same time. Personally, I thought the officials were not even a factor and all of the game focus was on the action on the court. If your team lost, go ahead and blame the officiating. It's much easier than admitting that your team just didn't get the job done on the court that one particular game. By the way, I want to congratulate the players and fans from all the visiting schools that turned out to watch the tournament. I was impressed with the sportsmanship exhibited by the fans and athletes during the week. There were a few exceptions, but a lot fewer than I expected considering the sheer numbers that attended. I got to sit down and eat with several coaches, administrators, officials, and teachers from the visiting schools and I enjoyed our talks. Congratulations to the teams that are playing in the finals. There were many more who could just have easily been there for the championships. Take it easy on the ref's, officials, zebras, etc....they are just humans and most of the time they really do make the right call, even though only 50% of the crowd will agree on any one single call. 

cdelaney

Quote from: unleasheddad on March 12, 2014, 04:55:57 pm
From most of the comments I got from fans, and I talked to a lot of them at the games, was the officiating was not a factor at all. Sure, some people thought that they had some calls they didn't agree with, but overall, it was consistent for every team. Blaming the officials for losing a game is an old, lame, worn out excuse that is used too often. Sure they do miss a few calls, and get a few calls totally wrong, but that's just part of the game when humans are involved in making on the spot judgement calls in a fast paced game involving several players and coaches at the same time. Personally, I thought the officials were not even a factor and all of the game focus was on the action on the court. If your team lost, go ahead and blame the officiating. It's much easier than admitting that your team just didn't get the job done on the court that one particular game. By the way, I want to congratulate the players and fans from all the visiting schools that turned out to watch the tournament. I was impressed with the sportsmanship exhibited by the fans and athletes during the week. There were a few exceptions, but a lot fewer than I expected considering the sheer numbers that attended. I got to sit down and eat with several coaches, administrators, officials, and teachers from the visiting schools and I enjoyed our talks. Congratulations to the teams that are playing in the finals. There were many more who could just have easily been there for the championships. Take it easy on the ref's, officials, zebras, etc....they are just humans and most of the time they really do make the right call, even though only 50% of the crowd will agree on any one single call.
Agree with your entire post. I have called enough BBall games to know how hard it is, and when you factor in the speed, quickness and strength of the kids playing now it is even tougher. I saw all or parts of about 10 games and I did not see any games affected by the refs, and I did not see any ref who seemed in over his head, and none who decided to take over the game.
On another note,the people from Charleston were very nice and helpful, great facility, great tournament. No complaints from me, or anyone else I know of from LR.

Xmulerider

I think the refs did fine.  I do think I need to change the way I watch games though .  I know what the def of traveling is.  I just haven't Ben right in the last 25 years.:)

Head Lion

I watched 9 games of the tourney wished it could have been more. I thought the officiating was a little tight, but it was consistent from game to game. It usually does tighten up some in post season, but was consistent. I felt like any coach or player could see how the games were being called and know what to expect when they played. Consistency is all you ever really ask for and they were that.

unleasheddad

I was impressed with the quality of the teams in the tourney. Each and every one can be rightly called winners. Unfortunately, only two teams get to make it to the next round. On any given night, it could have just as easily been any of the other 14 girls and boys teams playing this weekend. Good luck to all the teams next year and congratulations to all who got the chance to compete during the state tournament. We enjoyed having you ALL here in Charleston for the tourney. You are all class acts and that's not always the case. Kudo's to the fans and spirit groups who made the trip. I want to personally thank each and every official who takes the court and has to put up with parents like myself and the coaches and fans who want every call to go their way. I've worn the stripes before. I truly understand.

akbballer

RogerThat

I feel like the refs gave Perry two very bad calls for two fouls which say him half the game vs Charleston. Could've been the difference maker in the game. But with Ward having 43 of 66 chuck points they would be very hard the best either way.

BananaHands501

I think is starting to become a theme. Last year I remember majority of fans were complaining about officiating. I was one of those fans. I am an ecs fan and I have watched the state tournament for 3 years in a row now. It is hard to believe these refs can be so bad when it matters the most. I understand some bad calls but one cannot blame the outcome of the game on officiating. Last Charleston versus Ecs was the worst officiating I have ever seen.

WPWells

I feel like Charleston-ECS is slowly becoming a big rivalry

-Painted Fan-

Everyone's an expert.
Everyone whose team lost got hosed.
Why not use your officiating expertise, put on the stripes, and give it a whirl?

-Painted Fan-

Quote from: neds on March 12, 2014, 04:42:08 pm
My only comment as I attended no games is that Charleston was in a 'no win'
situation on being accused of getting preferential treatment on calls.
Just the hat they wore for hosting.
We all know how you feel about Charleston hosting.
You have made it very obvious for the past month and a half now.

WPWells

That's funny neds. I've never seen you say anything about any host having hometown referees until now. You wanted Jessieville to host. How would that have been fair for the girls side? If I didn't know better, I'd say you were scared of the Tigers

cdelaney

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on March 13, 2014, 08:12:42 am
That's funny neds. I've never seen you say anything about any host having hometown referees until now. You wanted Jessieville to host. How would that have been fair for the girls side? If I didn't know better, I'd say you were scared of the Tigers
You guys are misreading what Neds said. He is taking up for you in saying you are bound to be blamed for having hometown refs when your team wins on the home court- you were in a no-win situation on that issue, and it is something you have to expect if you are the host. As long as the AAA had the current process of bids, etc for State tournament sites, it will be a problem every  year for the host, especially if they have a good team that advances through the bracket.
I think everyone can agree that if there was a good "neutral court" solution to all the state tournaments, it would be more fair to all the teams, since there is a real home court advantage with travel, crowds, and familiarity of the court and shooting background on the place where you practice year round and play at least half your games, even when there is no advantage of home town officials. I don't see that happenning anytime soon, though.  The tournament was great in Charleston, and I think they would have made it to finals even if it was in Fordyce or Jesseville or wherever. I just think it is tough to travel from some place like McGehee or Rivercrest 3 times in 6 days

its me

There will never be a NEUTRAL court.  You name one, it's going to be close to a school.  Guess what?  That's why it is called a STATE tournament.  Why?  Because it's STATE wide.  In a few days the NCAA will seed teams at "neutral" sites.  The best will be close to where they are.  If your team is going to bid on state, why the heck would you bid if you didn't think you had a good chance of winning it?  Charleston fans would have went no matter where the tournament was.  Why?  Because they thought they could win it!  Neutral Courts are not neutral.  Hot Springs neutral?  No, ask the team that drew Malvern?  Winning teams have FANS that will travel!

WPWells

If ECS and BHG and everyone else was worried about playing Charleston at Charleston, they should have submitted their own bid

cdelaney

Quote from: its me on March 13, 2014, 10:42:42 am
There will never be a NEUTRAL court.  You name one, it's going to be close to a school.  Guess what?  That's why it is called a STATE tournament.  Why?  Because it's STATE wide.  In a few days the NCAA will seed teams at "neutral" sites.  The best will be close to where they are.  If your team is going to bid on state, why the heck would you bid if you didn't think you had a good chance of winning it?  Charleston fans would have went no matter where the tournament was.  Why?  Because they thought they could win it!  Neutral Courts are not neutral.  Hot Springs neutral?  No, ask the team that drew Malvern?  Winning teams have FANS that will travel!
You guys need to actually read the posts (you and 12th Man) before over-reacting; you're a little touchy on this subject. The only person I've seen who posted about homer Refs is BigBuck who has done that all year after every game BHG lost, home or away. And everyone has said that Charleston hosted a great tournament. And yes, the process was well known and other schools with an adequate facility could have bid. No one has said that Charleston did anything wrong in the process. Chill out a little.
With all of that, can you really say there is not an advantage for whatever school in whatever year to play on their own home court? For fan support and comfort level of the gym?
The NCAA always has Duke or Carolina playing in Greensboro or Charlotte,  but not in the Dean Dome or Cameron.
Anyway, it is now a moot point for this year, and I think Charleston would have made it no matter where it was played, and like you said, those who feel strongly about it should either bid or petition the AAA to change how they do things.

coach_r

I have a hard time considering what a good ref is anymore? I thought they did a poor job overall. The girls games were as bad as the boys games. I don't think any game was lost because of the stripes except for maybe one but they even had a chance to win at the end. I think they were very inconsistent. Saw more CHARGES called in one week than I have seen in the past 10 years total. Several of the refs seemed like they wanted to show who was boss rather than do their job. I know its a job nobody wants and its hard but just stay consistant. I saw in the Regionals where the refs made all players take off their "leggings" both boys and girls. In the State I saw boys and girls both have them on every game they played. I could care less what they wear just be consistant. Now there was a few games I thought the refs did a good job but overall I would give then a C-.

WPWells

It looks like you're the only one who had this opinion

HorseFeathers

I heard they screwed every team that lost...:D:D

Head Lion

neds

Quote from: -Painted Fan- on March 13, 2014, 05:27:32 am
Everyone's an expert.
Everyone whose team lost got hosed.
Why not use your officiating expertise, put on the stripes, and give it a whirl?

I felt that last years ECS vs HA game was called pretty well, and ECS lost

neds

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on March 13, 2014, 08:12:42 am

Scared not at all , just don't want Charleston to have a home court advantage. I do think U as the host team were going to draw criticism unless you lost. Just a no win deal for the host team if they win.

chucktownboys

From all the games I watched the referee's let the kids decide the game not the officials, saw a lot of plays nothing was called when normally there might have been a foul called but it was both ways that way. Witnessed aggressive defense and when a player picked up a couple fouls he either adjusted or kept fouling and sat down. When you can't remember who officiated the game that is not a bad thing. Officials are in a no win situation one side is going to be upset

BoxNOne

What does the phrase "let the kids decide the game" mean? I see it said repeatedly on FF. Does it mean refs call basically no fouls or only the most obvious tackles? There is so much hand checking,arm barring and outright holding being taught by coaches these days that the referees job has become much tougher. Some refs let a lot of it go and some call a foul a foul. By the way, I don't blame a coach for teaching those things because if they don't they are probably gonna be on the short end of the score.

WildcatGrandpa13

My opinion on the referees was they were as good as any of the other refs around the state in any given game, which is to say not the best. I believe refs should be consistent with calls. If a ref wants to let the players be a little physical, then stay with that mindset throughout the game. All referees have different preferences on calls, but that is not a bad thing. They should just keep the game a little physical or keep the game completely under control, don't swing from one to the other as the tempo picks up. But, in the end, the referees do not put the ball in the basket.

coach_r

Quote from: WildcatGrandpa13 on March 14, 2014, 11:45:09 am
My opinion on the referees was they were as good as any of the other refs around the state in any given game, which is to say not the best. I believe refs should be consistent with calls. If a ref wants to let the players be a little physical, then stay with that mindset throughout the game. All referees have different preferences on calls, but that is not a bad thing. They should just keep the game a little physical or keep the game completely under control, don't swing from one to the other as the tempo picks up. But, in the end, the referees do not put the ball in the basket.
I guess this is what I was trying to say or at least what I meant.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas