• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All State

Started by LRRandy, March 15, 2016, 02:15:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LRRandy

Interesting list. Some well deserved choices, some head scratching omissions, some inclusions that are puzzling.

pridgehog

How does Baptist only get one player? That is ridiculous!

LRRandy

How is this voted on? Is it the head coaches after nominations? Do coaches nominate their own players or is it done some other way? I don't know and am just asking. A team that didn't even make state tournament has two players on the list yet the team that list ONE game to a 4a school the entire season has one player. Curious.

Ghs21

Gosnell was the best team in the 3-4A... And had the best talent in the 3-4A.... But no one? But you have 2 from westside and 2 from cave city...... Gosnell beat them all 3 times they played... Nothing against cave city,. But they didn't even make the state tournament? Huge head scratcher how not one Gosnell player was on there????

Missco

March 15, 2016, 05:07:57 pm #5 Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 05:23:47 pm by Missco
That's bad but life isn't always fair.

Missco

The sad part is Gosnell coach didn't even turn in a name for  the all tournament team

Eagle20

In 4A there are 6 conferences.  Each conference gets 4 all state players.  Thus, 24 total.  These are voted on by the coaches of each conference usually in an early February meeting.  Most of the time a player is nominated by their coach but not always.  Having more than one player from each team to be voted on can work against those players by splitting the votes of the conference coaches.  Therefore, coaches  do not always nominate more than 1 of their own unless they are pretty positive both of those young men will make it. The vote is done a majority of the time like this.  Say there are 7 players nominated, each player will be ranked in order by each coach with the #1 player receiving 7 points and the # 7 player receiving 1 point.  All the ballots are tallied and the top four make it. 

NoSize

Basically the Coaches play the political game and a coach can call in favors to get an undeserving player All State. This waters down the results and in the end, is meaningless.

Moonshiner

I don't think this is for the state tournament.  There's an all state list made from each conference.  Sometimes politics are involved in these.  I guess the purpose is to allow good players that aren't necessarily on a good enough team to make the state tournament a chance to be recognized at the state level.

Eagle20

Quote from: Moonshiner on March 17, 2016, 08:18:31 am
I don't think this is for the state tournament.  There's an all state list made from each conference.  Sometimes politics are involved in these.  I guess the purpose is to allow good players that aren't necessarily on a good enough team to make the state tournament a chance to be recognized at the state level.
The list above is the All-State teams.  There is also an All-State tournament team made up of those who played in the state tournament only also.  Then there is the class all-stars from which they pick the roster from for the all star game this summer.  You have to be a senior to make that team but you can be any class for all-state or all-state tournament team. 

Moonshiner

Quote from: Eagle20 on March 17, 2016, 02:09:30 pm
The list above is the All-State teams.  There is also an All-State tournament team made up of those who played in the state tournament only also.  Then there is the class all-stars from which they pick the roster from for the all star game this summer.  You have to be a senior to make that team but you can be any class for all-state or all-state tournament team.

You are correct.

pridgehog

March 18, 2016, 01:52:12 pm #12 Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 05:33:30 pm by pridgehog
I wish there were more spots for All-State.

Moonshiner

Well I guess there's all conference for those types of guys.  The all tournament team is for those guys that do well in the tournament, which is usually the same guys that did well all year.  Or girls.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas