• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Boring Basketball

Started by eaglefan200, February 26, 2016, 08:49:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

eaglefan200

February 26, 2016, 08:49:53 pm Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 08:54:48 am by eaglefan200
Pottsville passes the ball around for 5 minutes before turning it over on almost every possession. Is it time for a shot clock in high school ball?

Proud Buckaroo

Let's make a thread to talk noise about a team..... Stay classy, Eagle.

Billie Blue

I remember 2 years ago we played them in the semifinals and lost to them in overtime and if I can remember the score was like in the mid twenties and we lost by 2 points they were playing stall ball and made the game long we were trying to make it a up tempo game but after we would score they would slow it down  but they were very fundamental and disciplined in what they do and it must work because they have a good record

beach bum

February 27, 2016, 05:48:39 pm #3 Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 05:59:33 pm by beach bum
I had this debate in the shot clock thread in the 6A boards..... I agree yes its not truly basketball anymore when that starts happening however I don't think this is tasteful because it implies "Pottsville" as a whole which includes the kids. The kids are just doing what they are coached to do so the kids shouldn't be raked through the coals like this based upon a coaches' game plan. This is a debate we could have in the offseason or even the Coaches Corner boards and this implies the kids played any part in this cause they did not. They are allowed to do this as much as they please until the AAA decides a shot clock will be part of high school basketball in Arkansas. Take this up with the AAA and not Pottsville. Criticism of adults is fine to me on here but this is also overlaps criticizing the kids too which I don't see as ok.

Oldenough

Hey Eagle fan you have two seven footers talk noise after you win a State Championship!!! Pottsville trots out three kids that are 5-7, their coach tries to put them in a position to win.  Billie Blue it was a great game best I recall 56-54 in OT not in the twenties. Y'all had a great team that year and Thurman did what was necessary with his players to win a State Championship.

Rocket23

AAA adheres to National Federation of High Schools, so until NFHS changes AAA's hands are tied.  Failure to follow NFHS rules, regulations, and guidelines, and state association is penalized and loses representation on National Committee, etc...

Slow ball is not as fun to watch and play, but you have to do whTever gives you best chance to win.

Billie Blue

Quote from: Oldenough on February 28, 2016, 10:01:07 am
Hey Eagle fan you have two seven footers talk noise after you win a State Championship!!! Pottsville trots out three kids that are 5-7, their coach tries to put them in a position to win.  Billie Blue it was a great game best I recall 56-54 in OT not in the twenties. Y'all had a great team that year and Thurman did what was necessary with his players to win a State Championship.
You are correct I had to due some more studying and the score you said is correct we played another team the next year in the semifinals and that score was in the twenties the game against potsville was a dandy

always88

The 30 second shot clock has been MUCH needed In high school basketball for many years now. If NFHS will approve it, and AAA can figure out a way to profit from it, I'm sure it will be implemented in Arkansas.

beach bum

Quote from: always88 on February 28, 2016, 01:39:21 pm
The 30 second shot clock has been MUCH needed In high school basketball for many years now. If NFHS will approve it, and AAA can figure out a way to profit from it, I'm sure it will be implemented in Arkansas.

Easy now, I was called radical last week for suggesting 45 seconds....  30 seconds will blow their mind away.

sevenof400

Quote from: always88 on February 28, 2016, 01:39:21 pmThe 30 second shot clock has been MUCH needed In high school basketball for many years now. If NFHS will approve it, and AAA can figure out a way to profit from it, I'm sure it will be implemented in Arkansas.

Couldn't disagree more - but I had to stop by here just because Beach Bum was expecting it....  ;D

Why do you think the clock is necessary?

always88

What is fun about watching a team "hold the ball"??? Yes, it requires talent and skill as well....but why play SCARED?

always88

If you are confident in your team's ability....just play ball! I have seen it at EVERY level. The best teams ALWAYS prevail! REGARDLESS!!!! Nothing wrong in stalling the last couple minutes, but c'mon!

WattsOzark

I actually like to watch teams that can stall the ball and still be effective.

Gray lizard

Quote from: eaglefan200 on February 26, 2016, 08:49:53 pm
Could there be a more boring team than the Pottsville Apaches? They pass the ball around for 2 minutes before turning it over. Terrible basketball.

I find this a little distasteful.  This is not the normal play of Pottsville.  Pottsville played the game with in the rules and what the coach felt gave them the best chance of winning.  If the one player would not have shot lights out the plan might have worked.  It is the job of the other teams defense to speed the game up.  Fact is BP with the two big boys can not put enough pressure to stop a stall game.  They are way to slow.  I feel this is what a team will have to do to beat them.  I bet you see more of this type play over the next week.

I wish BP the best and they are going to be hard to beat.  The two 7 footers make it really hard to get a good shot from any where on the court.  That kind of length is a good thing to have.

sevenof400

Quote from: always88 on February 28, 2016, 07:55:16 pm
What is fun about watching a team "hold the ball"??? Yes, it requires talent and skill as well....but why play SCARED?

I enjoy seeing one team dictate the pace and flow of the game - and sometimes that dictation means a slow game.  If the opposition is that good, they'll cope with it.  Maybe the so called better team is reluctant to engage in a game where fundamentals are in demand. 

sevenof400

And to Gray Lizard's point, if my team were at a size disadvantage, I'm sure going to employ any option I can to negate the size advantage and play the game at my preferred pace and style. 

eagle1

I see nothing wrong with trying to shorten the game. The object is to win and this is one strategy to try to get your team the W. For all of the people bad mouthing one team, that is not called for. Several posters have said if you are confident with your team then you should 'play ball'. The flip side of that also applies. Coaches get paid to try to put their teams in the best situations to win games and if this strategy does that, then so be it.

LRRandy

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 29, 2016, 09:44:27 am
I enjoy seeing one team dictate the pace and flow of the game - and sometimes that dictation means a slow game.  If the opposition is that good, they'll cope with it.  Maybe the so called better team is reluctant to engage in a game where fundamentals are in demand.
this is a generalization right? Not a shot across the bow of Baptist Prep insinuating that they are scared to play a game that require sound fundamentals. Right?

HorseFeathers

I feel like everyone in this thread would be happy to see a team run a "run n gun" offense and miss 70 shots a game....than a team content to run 40 seconds off a clock to get the open look that their coaches want them to get. Now if we're talking about a team just holding the ball at halfcourt, then that's on your coach/players to go gaurd them, there is a 5 second rule for a reason. Coaches don't get paid to entertain, heck a lot of them aren't getting paid to win either lol

LRRandy

I love seeing a team run a motion offense and move the ball around trying to find the best shot. It's when a team is holding the ball or running a weave between top of the key and half court and never even looking at the basket. In the game the other night ( the reason this thread was started) the ball was passed to a player moving over to the free throw line. Twice in the same possession, and then more than once again in the game,  if he would have simply looked at the basket he would have seen that he had an open shot as no defender was close enough to contest the 15-17 foot shot that was wide open to take. They. didn't. even. look. at. the. basket. At some point you do have to score. Maybe there wasn't enough faith in the players to take open shots and killing time was THE priority. Either way it didn't work.

BVCAT

This is a messed up thread. Condemning a team that is 17-11 and in the state tournament.........Played Baptist Prep twice before this game losing 56-46 and 52-23. Average around 50 pts/game......What is wrong with trying to shorten the game or apply different tactics against a team that clearly has you outmanned?

LRRandy

Quote from: BVCAT on February 29, 2016, 08:41:25 pm
This is a messed up thread. Condemning a team that is 17-11 and in the state tournament.........Played Baptist Prep twice before this game losing 56-46 and 52-23. Average around 50 pts/game......What is wrong with trying to shorten the game or apply different tactics against a team that clearly has you outmanned?
I'm all for a team trying different tactics. I'm not condemning anyone. My point was that there was opportunity for several open shots that they chose not to take. Maybe it was paralysis through analysis and they didn't recognize an open shot because they weren't looking for one.

sevenof400

February 29, 2016, 09:05:12 pm #22 Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 09:11:30 pm by sevenof400
Quote from: LRRandy on February 29, 2016, 06:25:50 pm
this is a generalization right? Not a shot across the bow of Baptist Prep insinuating that they are scared to play a game that require sound fundamentals. Right?
I've never seen any of the teams play that have been mentioned in this thread.  My interest in this subject is purely from the standpoint of why we would want the high school game to be more like the college game.  I enjoy the differences in high school versus college and would hate to see a shot clock in high school basketball. 

beach bum

Quote from: HF on February 29, 2016, 07:16:50 pm
I feel like everyone in this thread would be happy to see a team run a "run n gun" offense and miss 70 shots a game....than a team content to run 40 seconds off a clock to get the open look that their coaches want them to get. Now if we're talking about a team just holding the ball at halfcourt, then that's on your coach/players to go gaurd them, there is a 5 second rule for a reason. Coaches don't get paid to entertain, heck a lot of them aren't getting paid to win either lol

I played in a slow grind it out offense predicated on never turning the ball over and loved it, but 45 seconds is absolutely needed just to make someone at least shoot the ball every once in a while.

Oldenough

Quote from: LRRandy on February 29, 2016, 07:32:52 pm
I love seeing a team run a motion offense and move the ball around trying to find the best shot. It's when a team is holding the ball or running a weave between top of the key and half court and never even looking at the basket. In the game the other night ( the reason this thread was started) the ball was passed to a player moving over to the free throw line. Twice in the same possession, and then more than once again in the game,  if he would have simply looked at the basket he would have seen that he had an open shot as no defender was close enough to contest the 15-17 foot shot that was wide open to take. They. didn't. even. look. at. the. basket. At some point you do have to score. Maybe there wasn't enough faith in the players to take open shots and killing time was THE priority. Either way it didn't work.
"Either way it didn't work!" But your not condemning anyone!!!!

OOps

Well from just looking at the scores, it looks like they played Prep closer than anyone else in the region. I'd say it somewhat worked. It doesn't mean it was a bad game plan just because they lost.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas