• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coaching Openings 2018 (see 1st post for current)

Started by epotts, February 15, 2018, 09:12:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SouthPa

I believe Benton Harmony Grove girls is open

WarriorFan

Lamar Jr Boys is open as I was told today. Or will be open soon.

Flobbito

Rodgers has applied for the Rosebud H.S. boys coaching position. 

NWA Hawg

Quote from: Flobbito on May 04, 2018, 01:52:46 pm
Rodgers from where?

BW2015

Quote from: Flobbito on May 04, 2018, 01:52:46 pm

Is this Justin Rodgers from MVE?

HorseFeathers

BW2015

Quote from: HorseFeathers on May 04, 2018, 03:41:24 pm
Isn't he from Rose Bud?

I'm not sure where he's from but he coached at MVE and if I'm not mistaken he still teaches there.

BigOleSax

Would be a good hire. Knows the game, local guy, been to the state finals. X's and O's Coach.

4real

Quote from: BW2015 on May 04, 2018, 04:48:53 pm
I'm not sure where he's from but he coached at MVE and if I'm not mistaken he still teaches there.
that is correct, he is a rose bud guy. Would do well there

Flobbito

birddawg1986

Trumann Boys:

Steve Richey-Former Marmaduke boys coach
Barbara Wilburn-Current Marked Tree boys coach
Billy Phelan- Former Cross Co boys coach

elvis26

;) birddawg  is this the 3 coaching finalist for the trumann boys head coach?

scrapdig

Quote from: BigOleSax on May 04, 2018, 04:56:34 pm
Would be a good hire. Knows the game, local guy, been to the state finals. X's and O's Coach.
X's and O's are overrated.  Every coach knows them pretty much.  Are you gonna open the gym on weekends?  Are you gonna open the gym at night?  Are you gonna develop skills every day?

Central Ark

Quote from: scrapdig on May 06, 2018, 06:22:32 pm
X's and O's are overrated.  Every coach knows them pretty much.  Are you gonna open the gym on weekends?  Are you gonna open the gym at night?  Are you gonna develop skills every day?
Not every coach knows x's and o's. If they do, not all can teach it. But some styles don't require this. And the other questions: yes, yes, and yes.

NEABallftw

He was asked to step down because he was caught being physical with his boys such as throwing basketballs at their faces and being a little too aggressive during his practices.
Quote from: BW2015 on May 04, 2018, 04:48:53 pm

scrapdig

Quote from: Central Ark on May 06, 2018, 06:35:52 pm
Not every coach knows x's and o's. If they do, not all can teach it. But some styles don't require this. And the other questions: yes, yes, and yes.
It's not rocket science.  A team should have no more than a few plays. 

HorseFeathers

Quote from: scrapdig on May 07, 2018, 12:58:30 pm
It's not rocket science.  A team should have no more than a few plays. 

With getting it to your best player and getting out of his or her way being 1 of those 3 or 4....

BigOleSax

All these coaches on here!! X's and O's Isn't about just set plays. But scouting, scheming, actually teaching proper defensive techniques to your defense etc..

HorseFeathers

Quote from: BigOleSax on May 07, 2018, 01:15:52 pm
All these coaches on here!! X's and O's Isn't about just set plays. But scouting, scheming, actually teaching proper defensive techniques to your defense etc..

De--- what??? That must be a millennial term.... Ain't nobody got time to be learning something other than a bombs away offense

BigOleSax

TheGovernor

Quote from: BigOleSax on May 07, 2018, 01:15:52 pm

Very true. X's and O's is more than plays. Also getting the players to play hard and skill development are also important.

TheGovernor

Quote from: Central Ark on May 06, 2018, 06:35:52 pm

Great Statement

bobcats

Is Marsh moving back to LR Episcopal to coach girls?

scrapdig

Quote from: TheGovernor on May 07, 2018, 02:34:02 pm
Very true. X's and O's is more than plays. Also getting the players to play hard and skill development are also important.
Plays are last on the list in what makes a coach good in basketball.  Football way more important

TheGovernor

The #1 most important piece is == The Players.

Brian G

HorseFeathers

Quote from: TheGovernor on May 07, 2018, 03:07:08 pm
The #1 most important piece is == The Players.

Does the coach make the players.... Or the players make the coach?

TheGovernor

Quote from: HorseFeathers on May 07, 2018, 09:22:06 pm

Depends on the situation, what is more important a good coach or good players? When it comes to winning?
When you have a good coach and good players your situation is great.

BigOleSax

I think he was saying that the players are the most important piece in a program, way more important that X's and O's. 9 times out of 10 the players are the ones that make the plays, a good coach will put them in situations to succeed. But on the flipside a good coach could put players in the right spot and they can't make the plays... players make the coach 9/10. But having a good coach makes a difference

BigLion10

Real question is how long does current Episcopal boys coach get to stay??

BigOleSax

I would say as long as he wants, Friedel does a solid job. Pretty sure he won State 1 year ago

scrapdig

Depends what school.  Big schools don't get their players until High School.  A small school coach will have players 7-12 so they can develop players.  If a coach waits to develop players until they get in HS its way too late.

Informant

Plays don't work, players work.

I agree that most larger schools, 5A and higher, don't see the majority of there kids until high school.  Mainly because there are just so many.  Several move away while several move in.  Whose eligible in 7th grade may not be in 10th.  However, if they really want to see them and develop them they could.  They just choose not to. 

Bulldog555

Quote from: scrapdig on May 08, 2018, 08:33:11 am
Depends what school.  Big schools don't get their players until High School.  A small school coach will have players 7-12 so they can develop players.  If a coach waits to develop players until they get in HS its way too late.

Any coach who doesn't spend time on skill work and player development is cheating his players, team, and program. Even college coaches with the one and done player works to develop his skills. Even the NBA sees the value of player development. "Too late" and not getting players soon enough or long enough is just an excuse to be lazy. A bad reflection on the coaching profession.

3 Dollar

According to a Softball thread, Todd Finley is going to Coach girls BB at Dierks.

scrapdig

Quote from: Bulldog555 on May 08, 2018, 12:21:07 pm
Any coach who doesn't spend time on skill work and player development is cheating his players, team, and program. Even college coaches with the one and done player works to develop his skills. Even the NBA sees the value of player development. "Too late" and not getting players soon enough or long enough is just an excuse to be lazy. A bad reflection on the coaching profession.
A coach can make them better in HS.  With two hours a day for a few years not great.  A player is made great before HS years.  You wait til HS and its too late for basketball to be great.  Not football

BigLion10

Quote from: BigOleSax on May 08, 2018, 07:55:24 am
I would say as long as he wants, Friedel does a solid job. Pretty sure he won State 1 year ago
he had Marshs players though, and most of them transferred out

NEABallftw

Does anyone know if Harmony Grove Haskell has been filled or not?

WarriorFan

whatshisname

Any news on the Pine Bluff girls? Who has applied? They have anything returning?

Peaches101

May 09, 2018, 02:03:50 pm #290 Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 02:06:46 pm by Peaches101
Saw where Rivercrest Girls are now OPEN. Slater to Bay? Trumann is still up in the air? What ever happen to the over-all list?

scrapdig

Flobbito

Quote from: Peaches101 on May 09, 2018, 02:03:50 pm
Saw where Rivercrest Girls are now OPEN. Slater to Bay? Trumann is still up in the air? What ever happen to the over-all list?

The overall list is updated on the first post of the thread now.

OB11

Quote from: Peaches101 on May 09, 2018, 02:03:50 pm

Yes, Slater to Bay is what I have heard.

WarriorFan

LeftyWorld

Bauxite Girls and Cabot Boys just came open? Anyone know anything about these?

Informant

Manila needs to be very worried about Cabot taking Wimberley.  This would put him closer to his kids and he has been an assistant there before.  If he leaves Manila, it will open up a flood gates.

NWA Hawg

Quote from: Informant on May 10, 2018, 04:47:34 pm
Manila needs to be very worried about Cabot taking Wimberley.  This would put him closer to his kids and he has been an assistant there before.  If he leaves Manila, it will open up a flood gates.

Honest question, what has Wimberly done that makes him so great?

BigOleSax

Wimberly makes the state tourney every year, but that's about as far as they go. He can coach tho, not sure why Manila can't get over the hump

NWA Hawg

Quote from: BigOleSax on May 10, 2018, 08:00:17 pm
Wimberly makes the state tourney every year, but that's about as far as they go. He can coach tho, not sure why Manila can't get over the hump

I'm still confused on how that makes him a great coach that everyone should want.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas