• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 5A Girls Championship: Harrison 4 Pulaski Academy 2 !Discuss!

Started by sevenof400, April 17, 2016, 08:23:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sevenof400

Let's use this thread to track the results of the 5A Girls State Playoffs. 

5A Tournament: host Hot Springs
The 5A state tournament will use four fields in and around the Hot Springs area.  Be sure to verify the field (location) your team will play at before departing!

5A Finals (at Fayetteville):
Harrison 4 Pulaski Academy 2

GIRLS:
The games in the top half of the bracket will play at 10:00 am Thursday, Friday and Saturday
1W vs 4C  --  LRCA 11 vs Jacksonville 0 -- game to be played at Lake Hamilton HS
2E vs 3S   --  Batesville 1 vs HS Lakeside 0 -- game to be played at Lakeside HS

LRCA 3 vs Batesville 0

LRCA 1 vs  Pulaski Academy 3

Pulaski Academy 5 vs GCT 0

1C vs 4W  --  Pulaski Academy 8 vs Greenbrier 0 -- game to be played at Fountain Lake HS
2S vs 3E   --  Hot Springs 0 vs GCT 4 -- game to be played at Hot Springs HS

The games in the bottom half of the bracket will play at 2:00 pm Thursday, Friday and Saturday
1S vs 4E   --  DeQueen 1 vs  Paragould 2 -- game to be played at Lake Hamilton HS
2C vs 3W  --  Sylvan Hills 0 vs Maumelle 5 -- game to be played at Lakeside HS

Paragould 0 vs Maumelle 9

Maumelle 1 vs Harrison 4

Valley View 2 vs Harrison 3

1E vs 4S    --  Valley View 6 vs White Hall 0 -- game to be played at Fountain Lake HS
2W vs 3C   --  Harrison 9 vs Beebe 0 -- game to be played at Hot Springs HS

sevenof400

Top half of bracket - as long as PA and LRCA stay in this half of the bracket, a semi final matchup between these two would appear to be a fait accompli.

Bottom half of bracket - looking at a potential Harrison vs Valley View quarter final matchup - that would be worth the price of admission - and the Maumelle girls likely looking at a semi final matchup with the winner of Harrison - Valley View. 

Hard to see any team not mentioned in those five crashing that party....

GobSoccerFan12

The West should have a great showing in the playoffs this year. VERY strong.

MDXPHD

LRCA, VV, Harrison, and PA girls are the top four, no doubt.

mijally

I would agree. I think Maumelle is closing the gap.

MDXPHD

Quote from: mijally on April 20, 2016, 06:45:38 pm
I would agree. I think Maumelle is closing the gap.

They are. I just don't want another private to win 5A girls. It's getting old. Other than Harrison, that's all that has won haha.

Team Mom

Quote from: MDXPHD on April 20, 2016, 06:55:20 pm
They are. I just don't want another private to win 5A girls. It's getting old. Other than Harrison, that's all that has won haha.
Private schools technically are playing schools bigger than them. No one will ever be happy with the  multiplier or without it. These teams work hard to earn the title. Just as any public school.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Team Mom on April 20, 2016, 09:20:33 pm
Private schools technically are playing schools bigger than them. No one will ever be happy with the  multiplier or without it. These teams work hard to earn the title. Just as any public school.

They work very hard, completely agree with that. They deserve a chance to compete for a state title, just not with the public schools. But hey, let's not get into this debate! I know Harrison and Valley View will make it competitive for y'all this year. Looking forward to the tournament.

hogbert

Quote from: MDXPHD on April 20, 2016, 09:48:15 pm
They work very hard, completely agree with that. They deserve a chance to compete for a state title, just not with the public schools. But hey, let's not get into this debate! I know Harrison and Valley View will make it competitive for y'all this year. Looking forward to the tournament.

Good lord

MB Hog

Quote from: MDXPHD on April 20, 2016, 09:48:15 pm
Let's look at this another way.  Below, copied from another post, is the recent 5A history in girls soccer:

CLASS 5A
2015 - Little Rock Christian (Runner-up Pulaski Academy)<<<<
2014 - Harrison (Runner-up Pulaski Academy)
2013 - Shiloh Christian (Runner-up Harrison)
2012 – Central Arkansas Christian (Runner-up LR Christian)
2011 – Harrison (Runner-up LR Christian)
2010 – Little Rock Christian (Runner-up Pulaski Academy)
2009 – Little Rock Christian (Runner-up Central Arkansas Christian)
2008 – Pulaski Academy (Runner-up LR Christian)
2007 – Pulaski Academy (Runner-up LR Christian)
2006 – Central Arkansas Christian (Runner-up Pulaski Academy)
2005 – Pulaski Academy (Runner-up Little Rock Christian)
2004 – Harrison (Runner-up Arkadelphia)
2003 – Pulaski Academy (Runner-up Harrison)
2002 – Harrison (Runner-up Searcy)

Of the current 5A teams (Arkadelphia and Searcy are no longer 5A), Harrison is the only team listed above (winner or runner-up) that is not a private school.  Throw in Valley View since they have moved up from 4A... and they are at the same talent level as the other top 5A teams.  Maumelle might challenge this year, but I kind of doubt they are at the level of Harrison, LRCA, Valley View, and PA.  But for the sake of argument, let's say they are in that group.

So, that gives you five very high-quality teams competing for the championship.  If you remove the two private schools, you have three teams good enough to win it all... and really only two that have shown they can be there consistently.

Does it make State more interesting each year to see whether your champ will be Harrison or Valley View?  Or is it more entertaining to keep the two talented private schools in the mix and earn the title over them, too.  Wouldn't it be more gratifying for Harrison or Valley View (or Maumelle, DeQueen, or Batesville) if you win it over the private schools, too?

Why water down the competition in 5A more than it already is?  The only benefit I can see is for a good program like Batesville to happen into an exceptional year... and without PA and LRCA in the mix, they have a better chance of turning that into a state championship.  But other than that, your state champ almost every year will be either Harrison or Valley View... almost every year.

Sir Alex

Quote from: MB Hog on April 21, 2016, 10:29:06 pm
Let's look at this another way.  Below, copied from another post, is the recent 5A history in girls soccer:

CLASS 5A
2015 - Little Rock Christian (Runner-up Pulaski Academy)<<<<
2014 - Harrison (Runner-up Pulaski Academy)
2013 - Shiloh Christian (Runner-up Harrison)
2012 – Central Arkansas Christian (Runner-up LR Christian)
2011 – Harrison (Runner-up LR Christian)
2010 – Little Rock Christian (Runner-up Pulaski Academy)
2009 – Little Rock Christian (Runner-up Central Arkansas Christian)
2008 – Pulaski Academy (Runner-up LR Christian)
2007 – Pulaski Academy (Runner-up LR Christian)
2006 – Central Arkansas Christian (Runner-up Pulaski Academy)
2005 – Pulaski Academy (Runner-up Little Rock Christian)
2004 – Harrison (Runner-up Arkadelphia)
2003 – Pulaski Academy (Runner-up Harrison)
2002 – Harrison (Runner-up Searcy)

Of the current 5A teams (Arkadelphia and Searcy are no longer 5A), Harrison is the only team listed above (winner or runner-up) that is not a private school.  Throw in Valley View since they have moved up from 4A... and they are at the same talent level as the other top 5A teams.  Maumelle might challenge this year, but I kind of doubt they are at the level of Harrison, LRCA, Valley View, and PA.  But for the sake of argument, let's say they are in that group.

So, that gives you five very high-quality teams competing for the championship.  If you remove the two private schools, you have three teams good enough to win it all... and really only two that have shown they can be there consistently.

Does it make State more interesting each year to see whether your champ will be Harrison or Valley View?  Or is it more entertaining to keep the two talented private schools in the mix and earn the title over them, too.  Wouldn't it be more gratifying for Harrison or Valley View (or Maumelle, DeQueen, or Batesville) if you win it over the private schools, too?

Why water down the competition in 5A more than it already is?  The only benefit I can see is for a good program like Batesville to happen into an exceptional year... and without PA and LRCA in the mix, they have a better chance of turning that into a state championship.  But other than that, your state champ almost every year will be either Harrison or Valley View... almost every year.

Agree 100%. There would be no fun in not playing all the best teams. Who cares if their private or public? We could just rename them Harrison Academy and Valley View Prep if that helps.

Jdhelbig

April 22, 2016, 12:00:45 am #11 Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 01:09:25 pm by Jdhelbig
I don't know about the girls side, but from the boys side it makes it so much better winning the State Championship over ALL private and public schools! It makes the title that much more deserving. When you lift that trophies up at the end of the year, you know you've earned it! Trust me, I know what it feels like to lift it up, 3 separate times as a matter of fact, and the feeling was great knowing that no schools were excluded just because they were private or public. That way you know you are the one TRUE champion of the state!🏆🏆🏆

MDXPHD

Quote from: Sir Alex on April 21, 2016, 11:19:00 pm
Agree 100%. There would be no fun in not playing all the best teams. Who cares if their private or public? We could just rename them Harrison Academy and Valley View Prep if that helps.

You don't really understand how the whole private school thing works I don't guess.

And you two wouldn't happen to be from or support one of the schools that has won a championship, would you? (Harrison, PA?)

I agree about the competitiveness. Valley View and Maumelle have yet to show they have what it takes to compete with the privates and Harrison though. Valley View is right on the cusp and Maumelle is a little further behind. We can be very optimistic and say that it just makes the soccer better in Arkansas, or the football better, or any other sport, but I will stay a critic. Harrison will be fine and able to compete until Pratt steps down, then they will question a little more. Teat has done a heck of a job at VV and they are close this year, other than that PA loss of 6-2, they have played with the best of them. The system I would implement is a success based system, not just a system based on private and public. I think it would be the best for all sports in Arkansas.

We can argue this all day, because that is the type of discussion it is: Valid arguments for and against it. That's why there is always so much debate over it. I don't want this thread to be carried on like that, so that's the last I will say anything about private's and public schools until after the last championship game.

I expect a very competitive tournament between Harrison, VV, PA, and LRCA. Maumelle may upset somebody, but I don't think they can beat those 4 mentioned. Good luck to both of your teams.

Sir Alex

Quote from: MDXPHD on April 22, 2016, 07:45:05 am
You don't really understand how the whole private school thing works I don't guess.

And you two wouldn't happen to be from or support one of the schools that has won a championship, would you? (Harrison, PA?)

I agree about the competitiveness. Valley View and Maumelle have yet to show they have what it takes to compete with the privates and Harrison though. Valley View is right on the cusp and Maumelle is a little further behind. We can be very optimistic and say that it just makes the soccer better in Arkansas, or the football better, or any other sport, but I will stay a critic. Harrison will be fine and able to compete until Pratt steps down, then they will question a little more. Teat has done a heck of a job at VV and they are close this year, other than that PA loss of 6-2, they have played with the best of them. The system I would implement is a success based system, not just a system based on private and public. I think it would be the best for all sports in Arkansas.

We can argue this all day, because that is the type of discussion it is: Valid arguments for and against it. That's why there is always so much debate over it. I don't want this thread to be carried on like that, so that's the last I will say anything about private's and public schools until after the last championship game.

I expect a very competitive tournament between Harrison, VV, PA, and LRCA. Maumelle may upset somebody, but I don't think they can beat those 4 mentioned. Good luck to both of your teams.

Went to private school my whole life so yes I do understand it. I was making a joke so please don't take it serious at all... 😀

hogbert

How the whole Private school thing works? Yeah, I know. We pay property taxes so public schools can fund their education AND their very nice facilities, while also paying out of pocket for our kids to go to school and build our OWN facilities. So yeah, I know how it works.

MDXPHD

April 22, 2016, 09:12:24 am #15 Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 09:16:01 am by MDXPHD
Quote from: Sir Alex on April 22, 2016, 08:32:41 am
Went to private school my whole life so yes I do understand it. I was making a joke so please don't take it serious at all... 😀

I was just joking as well. I assume you know how it works ha. I don't understand it fully, but I have a general concept. I'm sure you know more than I do about it.

Quote from: hogbert on April 22, 2016, 09:00:40 am
How the whole Private school thing works? Yeah, I know. We pay property taxes so public schools can fund their education AND their very nice facilities, while also paying out of pocket for our kids to go to school and build our OWN facilities. So yeah, I know how it works.

Congratulations Hogbert. I'm glad you CHOOSE to do that, and by that. You're a good man for being so generous and helping us uneducated civilians who live in poverty attend a public school. It's much appreciated. You're always so bitter about these discussions. I don't understand how somebody held to such a high standard in society cannot have an educated and civil discussion about these things.

mijally

Quote from: hogbert on April 22, 2016, 09:00:40 am
Yeah sure Hogbert. The taxes from a few private school parents fund the whole Arkansas Public School system.  Lol. That's hilarious.

MB Hog

Well crap.  This is not the direction I intended this to go.  I was just talking about good soccer... not talking taxes and stuff like that.

My question is to MDXPHD.  I was curious what you meant regarding how the whole private school thing works.  I assume you were going to say something soccer related?

MDXPHD

Quote from: MB Hog on April 22, 2016, 10:59:58 am
Well crap.  This is not the direction I intended this to go.  I was just talking about good soccer... not talking taxes and stuff like that.

My question is to MDXPHD.  I was curious what you meant regarding how the whole private school thing works.  I assume you were going to say something soccer related?

Oh I was just joking with Sir Alex. I was saying that because he said you could just add a prep or something to the school title. It was in jest. This thread shouldn't be a place to argue the differences between private and public schools, there are plenty of those threads on the football forums.

MB Hog

Quote from: MDXPHD on April 22, 2016, 11:25:58 am
Oh I was just joking with Sir Alex. I was saying that because he said you could just add a prep or something to the school title. It was in jest. This thread shouldn't be a place to argue the differences between private and public schools, there are plenty of those threads on the football forums.
That's what I figured.  I know it can be a sensitive subject and it sounds like Hogbert felt you were taking a shot at private schools.  We can just pretend that part of the conversation didn't happen.   ;)

Sir Alex

Anyone have dimensions on the four fields in Hot Springs, just curious in they wide or just wider than a football field.

VHSCoach2

April 22, 2016, 12:26:04 pm #21 Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 02:00:57 pm by sevenof400
Quote from: Sir Alex on April 22, 2016, 11:47:36 am
Anyone have dimensions on the four fields in Hot Springs, just curious in they wide or just wider than a football field.

I don't have the dimensions, but here are the satellite views from Google Maps.

Hot Springs: Click here

Lakeside: Click here

Fountain Lake: Click here

Lake Hamilton: Click here

Go Postal

Harrison's attitude is it doesn't matter if you're private, public, larger conference or whatever.  We will try our best to win the game.  Our past records proves this.  Just play on...

MDXPHD

Quote from: Go Postal on April 22, 2016, 12:29:44 pm
Harrison's attitude in soccer is it doesn't matter if you're private, public, larger conference or whatever.  We will try our best to win the game.  Our past records proves this.  Just play on...

Fixed it.

Sir Alex

Quote from: MDXPHD on April 22, 2016, 12:37:49 pm
Fixed it.

Too funny.  😀 Got a kick out of that. ⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️

hogbert

no hard on at all. I don't really care and don't come on here defending private schools "all the time". Find another post where i do. However, when it's suggested that we have some unfair advantage in sports, it makes me chuckle. (excepting PA). We don't pay for ALL public facilities, but you are deluding yourself if you don't think we do pay. just pointing out we are self funded, not on the government dole. that's all.
Also, before you bring up the tried and true "recruiting" accusation, note the only two schools to my knowledge that have been in trouble over this are public schools.

Also, never implied you were uneducated. I have no idea if you are or not. If you are, congrats. If not, it's never too late. Education is the be all to end all, but I will tell you it helps, which is why I choose that route for my kids. You choose differently, good for you.

so if we can stick to sports, let's. However when you bring that bullsh*t in here about private schools, expect a response. Have a great day.

MDXPHD

April 22, 2016, 06:00:08 pm #26 Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 06:06:22 pm by MDXPHD
. (nm, pointless for me to respond to this)

sevenof400

Adjusted matchups based on standings as of April 22nd.

Intelligentsia

Sir Alex

April 29, 2016, 12:39:41 am #29 Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 02:01:23 pm by sevenof400
Quote from: VHSCoach2 on April 22, 2016, 12:26:04 pm
I don't have the dimensions, but here are the satellite views from Google Maps.

Looking at those fields they are all about 60 wide by 120...  May be 65 but I don't think so.

sevenof400

Coach Sturdivant, Alma

May 09, 2016, 12:13:15 pm #31 Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 12:32:37 pm by Coach Sturdivant, HS
UPDATED with field locations--Also both girls semifinal games will be played at 10AM Saturday.

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 17, 2016, 08:23:35 am
Let's use this thread to track the results of the 5A Girls State Playoffs. 

5A Tournament: host Hot Springs
The 5A state tournament will use four fields in and around the Hot Springs area.  Be sure to verify the field (location) your team will play at before departing!

5A Finals (at Fayetteville):
TBD

GIRLS:
The games in the top half of the bracket will play at 10:00 am Thursday, Friday and Saturday
1W vs 4C  --  LRCA vs Jacksonville (Lake Hamilton HS)
2E vs 3S   --  Batesville vs HS Lakeside or White Hall (Lakeside HS)

1C vs 4W  --  Pulaski Academy vs Greenbrier (Fountain Lake HS)
2S vs 3E   --  Hot Springs vs GCT (Hot Springs HS)

The games in the bottom half of the bracket will play at 2:00 pm Thursday, Friday and Saturday
1S vs 4E   --  DeQueen vs  Paragould (Lake Hamilton HS)
2C vs 3W  --  Sylvan Hills vs Maumelle (Lakeside HS)

1E vs 4S    --  Valley View vs White Hall (Fountain Lake HS)
2W vs 3C   --  Harrison vs Beebe (Hot Springs HS)

MB Hog

Quote from: Coach Sturdivant, HS on May 09, 2016, 12:13:15 pm
UPDATED with field locations--Also both girls semifinal games will be played at 10AM Saturday.
Do all four fields have artificial turf?

Also, where can we find the field assignments for the Friday and Saturday match-ups?  Obviously, we don't know who will advance yet, but I figure the fields are assigned for whoever the advancing teams turn out to be.

Coach Sturdivant, Alma

All four fields are artificial turf.

The second and third day of the tournament the games will move to Hot Springs and Lakeside fields only.

For the quarterfinals, on the top side of girls bracket (Winner of G1/G2) it will be at Lakeside on Friday at 10AM and the winner of G3/G4 will be at Hot Springs at 10AM.

For bottom half of bracket, the winner of G5/G6 will be at Hot Springs on Friday at 2PM and the winner of G7/G8 will be at Lakeside at 2PM.

For the semifinals, top half of Bracket @ Hot Springs at 10AM, bottom half of Bracket @ Lakeside at 10AM.

MB Hog

Coach Sturdivant, Alma

chaoslord

Just filled out my bracket so a quick summary of my thoughts.

I don't really have a lot of upsets picked. Lakeside over Batesville and Maumelle over Sylvan Hills are the only 3's getting through the opening round on my bracket and Harrison is the only non-1 making the semis. I then have Harrison going on to a finals matchup with LRCA, but with LRCA having won the conference I think they'll just about edge Harrison in the final.

Should be a good tournament!

VHSCoach2

May 12, 2016, 10:27:02 am #37 Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 11:48:21 am by VHSCoach2
Greene County Tech 4, Hot Springs 0 - final

Team Mom

VHSCoach2

VHSCoach2

May 12, 2016, 11:26:51 am #40 Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 11:49:51 am by VHSCoach2
Batesville 1, Lakeside 0 - final

Team Mom

VHSCoach2

Rocket23

LRCA led 10-0 at half.  Subs played a lot of the game in first and second halves.

VHSCoach2

VHSCoach2

VHSCoach2

VHSCoach2

Lionheart88

Went to the VV-White Hall game.  Fountain Lake has a beautiful facility, nestled in the hills right off highway 7.  Really nice location.

VHSCoach2

Pulaski Academy 2, Greene County Tech 0 - second half

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas