• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 5A Soccer

Started by ArkHog#7, February 25, 2016, 09:30:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ArkHog#7

February 25, 2016, 09:30:32 am Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 12:46:01 pm by ArkHog#7

MDXPHD

DeQueen might contend....

hogbert

Good grief. As long as DeQueen is in 5A, they will always "content".

ARSoccer25

February 29, 2016, 07:53:18 pm #3 Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 10:03:50 am by ARSoccer25
Boys

DeQueen
LRCA
Valley View
Lakeside
Maumelle

Girls
PA
LRCA
Harrison

Buck183

Thread title didn't specify. Are we talking girls or boys, or both?

VHSCoach2

Buck,

I would imagine the original question was posed to begin a discussion for the 5A as a whole, both boys and girls.

Buck183

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on February 29, 2016, 11:32:38 pm
Buck,

I would imagine the original question was posed to begin a discussion for the 5A as a whole, both boys and girls.

I would think so too. The answers haven't specified either so that left things pretty vague to me. I ask only because I'm trying to learn what schools tend to stand out in each class. The answers so far just leave me guessing.  I can't assume both boys and girls at every school mentioned are that dominant in their class. 

Buck

Sir Alex

You need to add Hot Springs Boys, Valley View Girls and Maumelle Girls to that list.

ARSoccer25

March 02, 2016, 11:25:55 am #8 Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 11:28:33 am by ARSoccer25

sevenof400

Quote from: Sir Alex on March 01, 2016, 11:34:26 am
You need to add Hot Springs Boys, Valley View Girls and Maumelle Girls to that list.

Have you seen Maumelle play this year Sir Alex?

Sir Alex

Nope but I know that they had a ton of talent coming back and had a quality transfer from LRCA if she is playing for them.  You never know though. Thought it was worth a mention.

Jdhelbig

So now that we are a little bit more than a week into the season and have had the chance to see teams play, for the 5A boys, who is looking like the team to beat? I know Hot Springs is doing pretty well and DeQueen just had a close win to 7A Catholic High and a close lose to 6A Russellville in PK's at DeQueen last Friday.

ArkHog#7

March 14, 2016, 10:15:00 am #12 Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 12:44:02 pm by ArkHog#7

jimmyt

Boys 5A:

I'd have to say Hot Springs is in the drivers seat in the South (probably the toughest conference in 5A) since they beat Lakeside and Dequeen. Lakeside beat White Hall 6-0 so it seems to be the same four from last year in possibly a different order. I'm guessing 1 HS,2 Dequeen, 3 Hope, 4 Lakeside.

Plays East 1st round.

In the West, Maumelle seems to have picked up right where they left off from last year. Clarksville is making a case for themselves beating LRCA. That should be interesting to see how things work out because 6 out of the 7 teams could possibly beat anyone else in the conference. Maumelle beat Vilonia 2-1 and Clarksville's win over Christian was only 1-0. Harrison probably isn't as good as they once were but they know how to win tough games. I'm guessing 1 Maumelle,2 Clarksville, 3 Harrison, 4 Vilonia.

Plays Central 1st round.

The Central is pretty top heavy. Jacksonville and PA (play next week) are going to fight it out for 1st and 2nd. McClellan is a lot stronger this year. They beat Beebe but lost to Mills. Sylvan has a lot of young talent that beat Mills pretty handily. I'm guessing 1 Jacksonville, 2 PA, 3 McClellan, 4 Sylvan Hills.

Plays West 1st round.

The East is also top heavy. Valley View, Nettleton, and Batesville will all duke it out for the 1 seed. The 4 seed is up for grabs. I'm guessing 1 Nettleton (Dark Horse this year), 2 Valley View, 3 Batesville, 4 Paragould.

Plays South 1st round.

These are just some guesses but I'd be willing to bet they're pretty accurate. I'd love to hear some feedback. It's a fun time of year!

Lionheart88

Quote from: jimmyt on March 31, 2016, 02:31:12 pm
Boys 5A:

I'd have to say Hot Springs is in the drivers seat in the South (probably the toughest conference in 5A) since they beat Lakeside and Dequeen. Lakeside beat White Hall 6-0 so it seems to be the same four from last year in possibly a different order. I'm guessing 1 HS,2 Dequeen, 3 Hope, 4 Lakeside.

Plays East 1st round.

In the West, Maumelle seems to have picked up right where they left off from last year. Clarksville is making a case for themselves beating LRCA. That should be interesting to see how things work out because 6 out of the 7 teams could possibly beat anyone else in the conference. Maumelle beat Vilonia 2-1 and Clarksville's win over Christian was only 1-0. Harrison probably isn't as good as they once were but they know how to win tough games. I'm guessing 1 Maumelle,2 Clarksville, 3 Harrison, 4 Vilonia.

Plays Central 1st round.

The Central is pretty top heavy. Jacksonville and PA (play next week) are going to fight it out for 1st and 2nd. McClellan is a lot stronger this year. They beat Beebe but lost to Mills. Sylvan has a lot of young talent that beat Mills pretty handily. I'm guessing 1 Jacksonville, 2 PA, 3 McClellan, 4 Sylvan Hills.

Plays West 1st round.

The East is also top heavy. Valley View, Nettleton, and Batesville will all duke it out for the 1 seed. The 4 seed is up for grabs. I'm guessing 1 Nettleton (Dark Horse this year), 2 Valley View, 3 Batesville, 4 Paragould.

Plays South 1st round.

These are just some guesses but I'd be willing to bet they're pretty accurate. I'd love to hear some feedback. It's a fun time of year!
Is Hope improved this year?  Last year they split with White Hall, seems like 4/5 was pretty near-run last year.  Unless Hope is improved (I haven't seen a conference score for them yet), I'd think it'd be 1)HS, 2)DeQueen, 3)Lakeside, 4/5 as a relative toss up (but Hope still probably the inside track).

TNT_15

Quote from: jimmyt on March 31, 2016, 02:31:12 pm
Boys 5A:

Plays East 1st round.

Plays Central 1st round.

Plays West 1st round.

Plays South 1st round.

The west is going to be really hard to predict. Their seems to me like 6 teams fighting for 4 playoff spots. Lrca goes to Vilonia Friday I think this is a huge game for Lrca who are desperate for a win. Should be a great game. I think PA will pull out 1 seed over Jacksonville. Something about Pa and the high standards they put out make me think they can pull out a close game. They were in finals last season. I also like sylvan hills to be a little higher 3 maybe even 2 they are a good young group. Also I would swich lakeside and Hope.

ArkHog#7

April 01, 2016, 12:55:41 pm #16 Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 12:41:26 pm by ArkHog#7

TNT_15

Quote from: ArkHog#7 on April 01, 2016, 12:55:41 pm
Playoff predictions from each IMO
Central: PA, Jacksonville, SH, and Beebe.
East: Nettleton, Valley View, Batesville, and GCT.
West: Clarksville, Maumelle, Vilonia, and LRCA.
South: Hot Springs, DeQueen, Lakeside, and Hope.
What about Harrison?

ArkHog#7

April 05, 2016, 10:05:50 am #18 Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 12:38:44 pm by ArkHog#7

ArkHog#7

April 08, 2016, 09:17:30 am #19 Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 12:36:08 pm by ArkHog#7

TNT_15

Quote from: ArkHog#7 on April 05, 2016, 10:05:50 am
Possibly. It seems that LRC, Vilonia, Harrison, and Greenbriar are about even. I could be wrong, should be exciting to see how it plays out!

Harrison will be DESPERATE for a win tonight vs lrc. Harrison can not afford another loss

Sir Alex

Quote from: TNT_15 on April 08, 2016, 03:58:44 pm
Harrison will be DESPERATE for a win tonight vs lrc. Harrison can not afford another loss

:) got it.

hogbert

Indeed they did. I would assume Chris is not exactly sitting back thinking they've arrived though. Both teams have work to do. LRC needs to figure out how to put the ball in the net and Harrison has got to find some offense.

Outlaw

From what I read and stats looks like the top 10 players in 5A are
1.Erich Guaden
2.Jose Hernandez
3.Brock Davis
4.Adam Jaskin
5.Cobi Johnson
6.Ilijah Carter
7.Christopher Guerra
8.Nery Flores
9.Eli Johnson
10.Spencer Plankey
who else would move on or off this list as top players

Sir Alex

Quote from: hogbert on April 09, 2016, 04:24:50 pm
Indeed they did. I would assume Chris is not exactly sitting back thinking they've arrived though. Both teams have work to do. LRC needs to figure out how to put the ball in the net and Harrison has got to find some offense.

:) offense, a defense and a list a mile long.

TNT_15

Quote from: Sir Alex on April 10, 2016, 09:30:01 am

:) offense, a defense and a list a mile long.
For Lrc or Harrison?

hogbert

Quote from: TNT_15 on April 10, 2016, 10:42:33 am
For Lrc or Harrison?

He can answer for himself, but as one who saw the game, I'd say both.

TNT_15

April 10, 2016, 06:55:14 pm #27 Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 07:03:51 pm by TNT_15
Quote from: hogbert on April 10, 2016, 06:09:52 pm
He can answer for himself, but as one who saw the game, I'd say both.
I don't think either will get out of first round. Each will be lucky to get into playoff. It's a weird year to see two teams that have been so good in the past struggle.

sevenof400

Quote from: TNT_15 on April 10, 2016, 06:55:14 pm
I don't think either will get out of first round. Each will be lucky to get into playoff. It's a weird year to see two teams that have been so good in the past struggle.

One possible factor that will help the West in the playoffs this year is the first round matchups are
West - Central
East - South

GobSoccerFan12

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 11, 2016, 09:51:51 am
One possible factor that will help the West in the playoffs this year is the first round matchups are
West - Central
East - South

Honestly I think the entire 5A may be weak this season. As #1 Hot Springs lost to 4A Warren & Dardanelle, #2 VV tied Dardanelle, and #5 Clarksville lost to Dardanelle. Dardanelle & Warren may just be very good teams, but the 5A seems to be lacking the powerhouses from previous years. Seems like the state championship winner may be whoever gets the breaks at state.

Badger

I don't follow 5A, so not sure if the classification is down or not.  I do believe Warren and Dardanelle are just dang good and can compete with any team in the state.  My observation of the 5A boys seems like there are more competitive teams than in the past, not just LRCA, Harrison, PA beating up on everybody.  Obviously, the growth of the Hispanic population throughout the state has affected all boys' classifications, i.e. NW Arkansas' recent dominance in 7A, and the advent of DeQueen, Warren, etc.  Also, the opening of Maumelle High offered a perceived more palatable public school option for Maumelle kids, many of which would have likely attended Little Rock private schools, such as CAC, LRCA, PA, Catholic.  Just my $.02, FWIW. 

Sir Alex

Bingo! The growth of the Hispanic population has changed the high school game so much in the last 15 years.  It is a very positive change on the guys side of the ball.  My $.02 worth is that you will see the game change some more over the next 10-15 years as well as schools are able to add better coaches to go along with the better players. We will have coaches that have played the game at most schools. Also, we are finally getting into 2nd generation soccer players in Arkansas.  There may be a few third generation players but I would bet they are not originally from Arkansas. Things will even back out and the overall level of play from the two different cultures will be higher than it has ever been.

GobSoccerFan12

What is Maumelle like this year? What do they like to do and what do they do well? Where are they strong? I imagined they'd be down this year after losing their SR class from last year, not #3 in the 5A. I didn't get to watch Harrison play them, I'd love to hear any info on them. Clarksville is also surprising considering their lack of success the past 2 years.

Jdhelbig

Now that we are deep into conference play, who is the favorite to win the state tournament?? Give a breakdown of your reasons why or why not for each team as well please! ;D

Jdhelbig

April 16, 2016, 02:15:17 am #34 Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 11:00:59 am by Jdhelbig
I believe DeQueen will win it all again for the 3rd title in a row, but will have a difficult time in the state playoffs. 6 out of 8 years is impressive enough....so them winning the state title will be extremely impressive.....again! Mostly because they are definitely down a notch this year as far as skill is concerned. They lost the best player in the whole state last year, and any team would struggle losing that much talent in one guy! Even though we won it last year, people didn't think it was going to happen. "The run has to come to an end eventually!" I hope it isn't true though😊 It will be fun to see how it plays out! I know I'm looking forward to it.

VHSCoach2

I cannot speak on any of the 5A East teams, such as Valley View, because I have not seen them play.  I'll go by word-of-mouth for East teams.  I have only seen two 5A Central teams this season, so my opinion would be null and void for that conference as well.

As for teams that I have seen play, I agree with the general consensus that the 5A West is down this season.  It does appear that Maumelle is on their way to repeating as conference champions, but with still 5 conference games for them to go anything could happen.

Now to the 5A South.  Of course, we know De Queen is going to be a threat, as they have been for the better part of the last decade.  However, I think the team to beat is going to be Hot Springs.  Having seen them in person, they are the most put-together, well-oiled machine of a team that I have seen this season (keep in mind what I said earlier about having limited exposure to the East and Central).  Plus, Hot Springs already holds a victory over De Queen this season.

ARSoccer25

April 16, 2016, 10:57:46 am #36 Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 05:15:30 pm by ARSoccer25
Boys

1. Hot Springs
2. Valley view
3. DeQueen
4. Maumelle
5. Lakeside
6. Hope
7. Clarksville
8. LRCA
9. Viliona

After seeing  a few games from each conference, I wouldn't be surprised if it is 3 South teams and Valley View in the semis.

Meant to have VV second not Maumelle

Jdhelbig

So now that we are just 2 weeks from the playoffs, can we have everyone's input in breaking down each team from each conference in 5A? This would give us great information heading into the final stretch of the regular season and into the playoffs!! Thanks in advance😁

Outlaw

Looks like 2 key games mon, tuesday this week.....Hot springs VS Dequeen
                                   Jacksonville VS PA

MDXPHD

Outlaw

Who is this clown? Well good luck to all this week and let's hope the weather let's all of of play

hogbert

Quote from: Outlaw on April 24, 2016, 07:18:26 pm
Who is this clown? Well good luck to all this week and let's hope the weather let's all of of play
Precisely.

mijally

It's Big Monday for the South and Central. The leaders collide.

sevenof400

If someone can post some details about those two games, thanks n advance!

Jdhelbig

I don't know about the girls but VB between Hot Springs @ DeQueen is tied at 1-1 with about 5 minutes left in the first half

Outlaw

Jacksonville girls lost 12/0 to Pa
Jacksonville boys lost 2/1 to Pa

JMBknvc

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 25, 2016, 06:33:11 pm
If someone can post some details about those two games, thanks n advance!

VB - PA 2 Jacksonville 1 (posted while typing)

Scoring Line: PA off corner (nice header), PA off PK (hand ball in box, player picked up the ball), Jacksonville off corner (mocker goal)

It seemed both teams played the long ball to their striker. After PA went up 2-0, they played a very defensive style. Will be interesting to see the rematch on Thursday, weather permitting.   

mijally

Outlaw

They actually play again on monday

mijally

Quote from: Jdhelbig on April 25, 2016, 07:23:11 pm
I don't know about the girls but VB between Hot Springs @ DeQueen is tied at 1-1 with about 5 minutes left in the first half
Talk to us. What's going on?  KFTM's maybe?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas