• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How to lose with class in 3a basketball

Started by Jimbo Morphis, March 07, 2016, 11:12:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbo Morphis

Head Lion

Judy Watson, Rivercrest's girls coach. She celebrates her teams victories very modestly and congratulates with true meaning when on the other end.

xadboy

Well, I would say you referring to a controversial called game. That being said it's not the other team or coach's fault. So you should respectfully shake other teams hand and congratulate them. Now if you felt like your team wasn't given chance then do something after you and team have left the court. Make contact with who ever you need to. File a complaint with them.

adaptedtigerfan

BigMan15

The way I see it is if the refs are its fine to complain during the game but afterwards give props to both teams and tell ur kid to give it heck during offseason and fight harder for it.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: xadboy on March 07, 2016, 11:33:19 am
Well, I would say you referring to a controversial called game. That being said it's not the other team or coach's fault. So you should respectfully shake other teams hand and congratulate them. Now if you felt like your team wasn't given chance then do something after you and team have left the court. Make contact with who ever you need to. File a complaint with them.
really thought you would have been nominated by now.

AlumniLights

Set an example for kids. As a coach you should want the boys/girls to become better people. And let me tell you, by looking at little leagues these days, the kids are a product of their raising and coaching. Start early. Teach kids how to win/lose with class. And that not errbody gets a trophy. Tootles.  8)

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: AlumniLights on March 07, 2016, 01:20:57 pm
Set an example for kids. As a coach you should want the boys/girls to become better people. And let me tell you, by looking at little leagues these days, the kids are a product of their raising and coaching. Start early. Teach kids how to win/lose with class. And that not errbody gets a trophy. Tootles.  8)
in my experience coaching youth sports the kids and parents feed off and act like the coaches.

xadboy

Quote from: Oldman on March 07, 2016, 12:58:40 pm
really thought you would have been nominated by now.
Yea me to. Lol

In watching a lot of games this year, it wasn't very hard to figure out who the parents were. I've seen them stand up and belittle their own kids. What does that do for the kid? Nothing, it embarrassed them and probably made them mad. How does the kid play the rest of game, probably a little timid being afraid to make another mistake.

AlumniLights

ReddieKnightTrojan

Black and Gold

RTF

Quote from: ReddieKnightTrojan on March 07, 2016, 02:03:20 pm
How about winning with class?

Not a discussion for fearlessfriday, most people here like to pump that chest lol.

ReddieKnightTrojan

You wouldn't believe the pressure that I took off of my son this year. I simply said, "If you don't play a down, I'll still be proud of you and will be at every one of your games." His face lit up like it was Christmas Eve. I agree that parents put too much pressure on their kids to succeed. My son will be a junior this year and will probably contribute, but if he caved under pressure and quit the game I love so much, there is no possible way that he could contribute.

He's like 5'10", runs a 5.6, benches 265, and weighs 205...not an athletic specimen, but he's my son...my hero!

Paperman

Quote from: ReddieKnightTrojan on March 07, 2016, 02:27:22 pm
You wouldn't believe the pressure that I took off of my son this year. I simply said, "If you don't play a down, I'll still be proud of you and will be at every one of your games." His face lit up like it was Christmas Eve. I agree that parents put too much pressure on their kids to succeed. My son will be a junior this year and will probably contribute, but if he caved under pressure and quit the game I love so much, there is no possible way that he could contribute.

He's like 5'10", runs a 5.6, benches 265, and weighs 205...not an athletic specimen, but he's my son...my hero!

I believe that gets you a +1! Good job Dad!

ReddieKnightTrojan

Thanks Paperman. It's hard for me to keep my mouth shut sometimes, but when he gets some solid playing time, I plan on getting game film and making that our Saturday morning tradition. I coached at 3 different schools and EVERY single year we were playing in the post season. I'm not good, I'm just blessed and highly favored...I would love to spend hours with my boy talking chalk.

Markadomous

xadboy

+1

Nothing like being a proud parent. Have a 16 year old daughter myself and she's on the bball team but doesn't get to play a lot. But shes a straight A student, bball team, football and baseball team manager. Like you say, so proud of her.

ReddieKnightTrojan

Does anyone know of good clinics going on around SW Arkansas this summer? He is getting pretty stacked, but his hip flexibility is hurting his speed in a big way. I'm thinking about putting him in yoga for the flexibility. He talked to his coach last week about going from the line to TE, (pretty good hands) and coach told him he would give him a shot. Said they may be in more two TE sets next year.

neds

Harding Academy would get my vote
Their coach sets the tone for a classy team

Head Lion

We agree Neds, Coach Francis & his squads have won a lot & lost few, but do so with class.

Jimbo Morphis

you guys don't have the sense of humor the football guys have.

Rocket23

And even more than the coaches it begins at home with the parents.  I seen games where coaches are are very classy, coach hard, and conduct themselves in a good manner, but parents are in stands acting like complete fools.  I have also been around teams where coach can act a fool, but kids are very classy because if they aren't, they would have to deal with dad or mom after the game.

Danny Ebbs, when he was at Blytheville ,was one of the classiest I have ever been exposed to, as well as the forementioned Judy Watson.  Ebbs kids were always well-behaved.

BigMan15

+1

BigMan15

I have four kids myself and Ill tell you I teach them all to play fair, have good sportsmanship win or lose!! Being that my two sons are pretty good at basketball and football I feel like i have pushed them hard when they were younger. But I told them if you want to play sports that I would try my best to make them as good as I could. So they both decided to stay with just Basketball. Keep in mind Brandon never played basketball till 6th grade, he was a baseball player. My youngest is a girl who probably likes basketball more than anyone in my family. She begs to work out and to play games even if its against high school kids. She actually has yelled at older kids who tried to take it easy on her. Now the reasoning behind saying all of this is my oldest daughter who is 10 is good at basketball but not like the others. She likes it but doesnt love it and me being crazy about basketball have always told her that i would support her no matter what even if she played Chess!!! Now she still plays but she is smart as a tack makes straight As loves reading, but mainly she loves spending time with me and as do I. I can tell you from experience some parents push their kids to hard and it only makes it worse. Support your kids no matter what they do!!!!

Paperman

adaptedtigerfan

After refereeing a few little league games in the area I have noticed that these days kids think they are owed something.  You call a foul and it's like it's the end of the world.  Then you have parents in the stands screaming and yelling nonstop.  The poor kids don't have a clue because they have 35 different coaches and none of the 35 have any idea about what they are screaming about.   Parents just need to learn to set back and let the coaches coach and deal with the kids...   I always told my son.  When you are @ football practice or @ a game Coach K is your parent when you get away from there then me and your mom are again.  Do what he says and don't give him grief.    I've seen kids crying on the ball court because of parents screaming @ them during a game.   

It's all about winning that's for sure..   If it wasn't there wouldn't be a need to play but the fact is you can't win them all.   And someone is always going to be better than you.  If you lose, pick your head up shake their hand and go on.

In the words of Farmer Fran.
welivtoplayanotherday

WhiteRiverMonster

Quote from: neds on March 07, 2016, 07:13:17 pm
Harding Academy would get my vote
Their coach sets the tone for a classy team

I +1 that, in my day playing private schools was sometimes the worst mouthing and language you'd hear. Doesn't seem to be the case with the Academy. Both the boys and girls teams keep it pretty classy, it is not what I expected and I've been very impressed.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: adaptedtigerfan on March 08, 2016, 10:42:46 am
After refereeing a few little league games in the area I have noticed that these days kids think they are owed something.  You call a foul and it's like it's the end of the world.  Then you have parents in the stands screaming and yelling nonstop.  The poor kids don't have a clue because they have 35 different coaches and none of the 35 have any idea about what they are screaming about.   Parents just need to learn to set back and let the coaches coach and deal with the kids...   I always told my son.  When you are @ football practice or @ a game Coach K is your parent when you get away from there then me and your mom are again.  Do what he says and don't give him grief.    I've seen kids crying on the ball court because of parents screaming @ them during a game.   

It's all about winning that's for sure..   If it wasn't there wouldn't be a need to play but the fact is you can't win them all.   And someone is always going to be better than you.  If you lose, pick your head up shake their hand and go on.

welivtoplayanotherday

You mean the parents that are screaming shoot the ball, when the coach wants to stall or actually run a play aren't helping?

Longfellow

I did a 7th grade jamboree at TR once, and remember, I know almost all of these people. Never been yelled at so much in my life. You would think that all these people have coaching certifications. It's ridiculous

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Longfellow on March 08, 2016, 12:13:12 pm
I did a 7th grade jamboree at TR once, and remember, I know almost all of these people. Never been yelled at so much in my life. You would think that all these people have coaching certifications. It's ridiculous
Did you throw anyone out?

Longfellow

Nah I wish. Spent most of the day laughing at them. Some were just trying to be funny. There were a few I threatened to toss. One of them goes to my church

ReddieKnightTrojan

Quote from: Longfellow on March 08, 2016, 02:02:52 pm
Nah I wish. Spent most of the day laughing at them. Some were just trying to be funny. There were a few I threatened to toss. One of them goes to my church

I know of churches that have split because of sports...really.

smallybells

Quote from: Oldman on March 08, 2016, 01:09:27 pm
Did you throw anyone out?

Last year I was watching my daughters play summer ball and the ref threw out the whole opposing teams bleachers, true story and this was not HS age ball either, it was crazy.

adaptedtigerfan

ReddieKnightTrojan

Not really related...kinda...Caddo Hills was at Mineral Springs and a MS player acted like he had a gun at half time and pointed it at a CH player near the locker room. Refs suspended the game at the half, police were called in, investigations unfolded, and the game was finished at CH with armed guards a couple of weeks later, an administrator from each school, coaches, and players...no fans.

The Dynasty

welivtoplayanotherday

Some of oyur calls could end the world. There's no wonder people are yelling!!!!!

ReddieKnightTrojan

Quote from: xadboy on March 08, 2016, 02:36:48 pm
As good ol JR would say "folks we got a slobber knocker on our hands!"

A picture is worth a thousand technicals...

AlumniLights

welivtoplayanotherday

+1  I have to agree since I have been in the little league gyms myself quite a bit growing up.
"Take care now, bye bye then!"

cdelaney

Quote from: Oldman on March 07, 2016, 01:31:41 pm
in my experience coaching youth sports the kids and parents feed off and act like the coaches.
I've seen way more bad parents than coaches.

neds

Quote from: HF on March 08, 2016, 05:27:14 pm
This from the game you mentioned?

I don't think there was a winner in this game

xadboy

Best way to lose with class, just don't lose. Then I guess we'd have to start a how to win with class thread. Hehe

xadboy

Quote from: HF on March 08, 2016, 05:27:14 pm
This from the game you mentioned?
Wonder if that's a parent, coach or fan? And is that the parent/coach/fans wife trying to intervene? Think the ref needs to work on his choke holds although he does have the front clothed Homer Simpson choke down pat.

NEark tigers

Seems to me that the ref have a great hold with the thumbs gripping the throat....#UFC197

ReddieKnightTrojan

It was a coach (one of the winningest girl's coaches in Arkansas History) who just received his second technical and wouldn't shut his mouth. The ref was tired of it and was going to choke him out. The coach's wife stepped in to help.

BTW the was 10 and under summer ball I believe.

xadboy

Yowzers! There's always a good woman behind her husband.

ReddieKnightTrojan

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas