• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Poll: What do you think about the warrantless wiretaps?

Started by Guetz, February 07, 2006, 12:53:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your opinion of the Administration's terrorist surveillance program, which uses warrantless wiretaps to listen in on some Americans' overseas telephone conversations?

The program is utterly vital to our national security, and it must continue unabated.
11 (35.5%)
The program should continue in some form, but I think that warrantless wiretaps should only be used in extraordinary circumstances.
14 (45.2%)
The program had good intentions, but our liberties are too important to be left to the executive branch. It should stop and the current scheme under FISA should be used exclusively.
2 (6.5%)
The program is an example of the arrogance of power. It must be stopped now, and the President should apologize for ever authorizing it.
2 (6.5%)
The program is a crime against the American people and the Congress should impeach President Bush over it.
1 (3.2%)
I have no idea, I'm totally uninformed on national politics.
1 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: March 09, 2006, 12:53:35 pm

footballfan-tastic

Our nations security has become more threatened than our personal liberty. 

hoghigh

Quote from: Mike Bonds on February 13, 2006, 09:02:43 am

I'm not worried so much about wiretaps catching terrorists. What I'm worried about is future abuses, like a sitting President listening into conversations between his political opponents, or even worse, a candidate for the office from the opposite party. Those are things that could seriously undermine our political processes. I think that this sort of thing sets a very dangerous precedent for us. I don't want any President, Democrat or Republican, to be able to do this sort of thing outside of the framework lawfully enacted by Congress, whether controlled by either Democrats or Republicans.

The laws of the US stop at our National Borders.  Under International laws and Espionage Acts, any calls leaving a country are fair game for any one with the ability to capture and listen to do so.  The key here is what they are doing, they are listening to international calls not domestic.  Once a call leaves the US it is no longer a domestic call.  If you really want to look at it hard, I would bet that some countries capture every call from the US and know more about us then we know about ourselves.  As for your fear of abuse here, I highly doubt it getting that far.  The laws still apply.  If the US stops using the International Wiretaps, then we are setting ourselves up for that tragic event you fear that might eliminate our liberties here.  Any means that we can use to stop or hinder our enemies is important but we cannot loose our liberties in the process.  The wiretaps do not harm us but the fear of what they can become scares us.  I do not feel that the taps will ever become that evil.  The checks and balances that all scream about are in place everywhere and if they are attempting to violate "our" rights, you can bet your booty that someone or some entity will scream about it.

footballfan-tastic

I don't think they want to listen in on your calls to your girlfriend or boyfriend so let em listen.  If they pick up on some dangerous or illegal activity,so much the better.  I think we have gotten a little too careful with protecting the rights of criminals.

Mike Bonds

Quote from: exorcist on February 15, 2006, 11:02:21 am
I don't think they want to listen in on your calls to your girlfriend or boyfriend so let em listen.  If they pick up on some dangerous or illegal activity,so much the better.  I think we have gotten a little too careful with protecting the rights of criminals.

Let me put this another way:

Would you still be in love with this if you knew Bill Clinton would run it for you?

footballfan-tastic

No because he would listen to the domestic calls, looking for dates. LOL

Guetz

The Clintons (the First Felons) didn't need to use the NSA, they had the FBI at their disposal to spy on their political opponents.

footballfan-tastic

Doesn't it make you wonder about New Yorkers, they voted Hillary into their state.

hoghigh

Quote from: Mike Bonds on February 15, 2006, 11:07:50 am
Quote from: exorcist on February 15, 2006, 11:02:21 am

Let me put this another way:

Would you still be in love with this if you knew Bill Clinton would run it for you?

Sure, he did it when he was in office as well as all the others.  Clinton even used the IRS to investigate potential threats, do we see the current government doing this?

Guetz

Quote from: exorcist on February 15, 2006, 12:59:22 pm
Doesn't it make you wonder about New Yorkers, they voted Hillary into their state.

The welfare vote, perhaps?  Or maybe the "prestige" vote? 

Surely not the conservative, defense, Christian or business vote.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas