• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Green Co Tech Opening

Started by scoutteamshoota, March 26, 2015, 07:22:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

scoutteamshoota

Great arena....great fan base....Always competitive...Who are the front runners ? 

NWA Hawg

What do they have moving up off the junior high? I know they have no size left on the sr high

Easy

It may be hard to find someone to take this job! Especially anyone with notable experience.

NWA Hawg

gameoflife

Maybe because they have only won 41 games in 14 years?

scoutteamshoota

A lot of good kids in the area.  Get a good young coach with some head coaching experience that brings exciting basketball kids will want to play for him.  May get some transfers who knows.  Which gym would you rather play in up there ?  I say GCT. 

olemissjacket99

who was the coach and where did he go?

4real

Quote from: scoutteamshoota on March 27, 2015, 06:44:06 pm
A lot of good kids in the area.  Get a good young coach with some head coaching experience that brings exciting basketball kids will want to play for him.  May get some transfers who knows.  Which gym would you rather play in up there ?  I say GCT.
So, are you saying that if a new coach can recruit, it will get turned around?
Doesn't sound like you are saying that there is talent coming up from the jr high...

bdog32

What is the talent level like 7 thru 12 grade.  I know they have had a heck of a run of talent for the last 10 or so years

scoutteamshoota

Quote from: 4real on March 29, 2015, 09:55:03 pm
Quote from: scoutteamshoota on March 27, 2015, 06:44:06 pm

So, are you saying that if a new coach can recruit, it will get turned around?
Doesn't sound like you are saying that there is talent coming up from the jr high...
Are u a flippin' idiot or just stupid

scoutteamshoota

April 02, 2015, 06:00:28 pm #10 Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 09:35:39 pm by scoutteamshoota
Thats how u turn a program around.  There  is plenty of talent up there in the younger grades.....couple that with excitement and yes kids transfer and move.  Also others decide to play now that the butthats are not coaching there anymore

4real

How foolish of me. I thought hard work, honesty, building trust, and old fashioned coaching was the primary tools for building success.

I have to admit how brassy honest you are... You must've been a member of Bowlins Greene county mafia. Just recruit, scream and stomp on every pass that's made, boom, there's success!

Easy

Two state championships and a runner up in 8 years a lot would love to have that! Bowlin and Richey knew what they were doing and a lot of people didn't like it but they got it done!

4real

Quote from: Easy on April 02, 2015, 08:33:04 pm
Two state championships and a runner up in 8 years a lot would love to have that! Bowlin and Richey knew what they were doing and a lot of people didn't like it but they got it done!
No doubt about it, Bowlin is a heckuva coach! Good cycle of talent with a good coach in place and it's an exciting combo.  However, there aren't many proven coaches that want a job that will keep them under the microscope when there isn't a solid talent base in place to win within two years.  You will always be compared to Scotty and what he did when his son was there. 

Not many coaches can just go out there like calipari and convince parents to move their kids right off the bat.  That is a much more suttle process that can develop after success.

MDXPHD

Quote from: gameoflife on March 27, 2015, 05:09:05 pm
Maybe because they have only won 41 games in 14 years?

I don't know how many wins/losses they actually have, but that does seem low.  What else have they won in those 14 years?

Easy

They won state championships in 2007,2009 and were in finals in 2008 and averaged over 25 wins a season during that span and they have been pretty good lately up until this year.

ricepig

Quote from: Easy on April 06, 2015, 10:21:47 am
They won state championships in 2007,2009 and were in finals in 2008 and averaged over 25 wins a season during that span and they have been pretty good lately up until this year.

Not really, I don't think they have been above .500 since 2010.

scoutteamshoota

They have had plenty of talent. Bowlins last year they beat the 1 Seed and ended up losing a close one to Harrison in the Quarters.

ricepig

Quote from: scoutteamshoota on April 06, 2015, 06:15:25 pm
They have had plenty of talent. Bowlins last year they beat the 1 Seed and ended up losing a close one to Harrison in the Quarters.

Not really, they over achieved that year. I've watched them play Jonesboro, and in the Hurricane Classic the past 5-6 years, there were 2A schools with more talent.

4real

Ok, that makes sense. After watching bill Taylor go to sdale and hate it, you knew Scotty wouldn't leave just for the money. 

Grond

Speaking from the perspective of the "hated cross-town rival"...... >:(

Greene County Tech plays hard, smart basketball. GCT is a good school, but the pinnacle is the boys & girls basketball programs. There is a HUGE amount of support for the programs, from elementary on up. There are two gyms at the high school, and 5 or more at the Junior high.

There is not a huge talent pool; but there are a large number of average players that work their tails off. Which means it is UNUSUAL for GCT to MISS the play-offs.

Did I mention that the fan base is a little crazy?  :P

However, I am not sure where this series of events leaves GCT boys basketball. Robertson [coach this past season] was a Bolen assistant, and unless Bolen is coming back, I don't see how GCT can maintain the "Bolen method" of tactics: If GCT got a 2 point lead, they would spread the floor, and make you play THEIR game. (Being on the other end of this experience, it could be quite infuriating.  :-X)

AT

I've heard Greene County Tech grabbed Greenwood's boys coach, Brian Martin...a place where he can actually receive some support in basketball.

InfamousTruth

GCT threw Martin a life raft. He was in a dead zone at Greenwood, sandwiched bt a football and baseball power. Who were the other candidates besides him?

ab24

What will Martin bring to GCT? is this a good hire? Wasn't he the Beebe coach a few years back?

ricepig

Quote from: ab24 on April 11, 2015, 02:15:19 pm
What will Martin bring to GCT? is this a good hire? Wasn't he the Beebe coach a few years back?

I'm sure Tech wishes Rick Jones was what he was bringing. It was hard to tell if he had any talent the times I watched GW, they were out of the games pretty quickly.

AT

He took Greenwood to the semi-finals in 2012 I believe? They lost to Senior Archie Goodwin led Sylvan Hills.

Easy

Quote from: Almatrackster on April 11, 2015, 06:40:29 pm
He took Greenwood to the semi-finals in 2012 I believe? They lost to Senior Archie Goodwin led Sylvan Hills.
They sure havn't done much since then! Pressure about to be turned up at Greene County Tech, they expect a lot, hope he can handle it there! Cross town rivalry is big there!

Downnotout

Welcome to GCT Coach Martin!

Bondfan4ever

I'm a little surprised Brian Martin would leave Greenwood.  He played for them, graduated from Greenwood, went back home after a two year stint at Beebe(2007-09).  I'm not sure what his record was at Greenwood, but he took Beebe to the state tournament in 2009.  He played collegiately at Louisiana Tech.  Either way, good luck to Coach Martin.

Grond

The GCT fan base will be TREMENDOUSLY excited about this.

Easy

Quote from: Bondfan4ever on April 12, 2015, 03:48:24 pm
I'm a little surprised Brian Martin would leave Greenwood.  He played for them, graduated from Greenwood, went back home after a two year stint at Beebe(2007-09).  I'm not sure what his record was at Greenwood, but he took Beebe to the state tournament in 2009.  He played collegiately at Louisiana Tech.  Either way, good luck to Coach Martin.
4-17 according to max preps this year

InfamousTruth

Quote from: Bondfan4ever on April 12, 2015, 03:48:24 pm

Could have been a combination of things. Maybe being on the hot seat because of his record the last few years. Could be he felt like he couldn't win at a "football school". Either way I know GCT fans and admin will get behind him and support him.

hogfan7

Sometimes there is just no talent.  I believe GCT is coming up with NO TALENT.  You could bring Coach K himself in (from Duke).  It's not the coaches, it's the fact that there are just no athletes. 

Grond

Quote from: hogfan7 on April 13, 2015, 08:53:05 am
Sometimes there is just no talent.  I believe GCT is coming up with NO TALENT.  You could bring Coach K himself in (from Duke).  It's not the coaches, it's the fact that there are just no athletes. 

So, how many years does GCT have to go to the playoffs before you consider them to "have talent"?  What percentage of 5A schools have 'talent'?

Once upon a time in a galaxy far, far away, before AAU and "one-and-done", there was a concept called TACTICS. The idea was that a group working as a team could defeat their opponent. This idea seems to have gone out of fashion, but sometimes it can work (example: Wisconsin). Ok, Duke beat Wisconsin....maybe I need to stop typing. :-\

ricepig

Quote from: Grond on April 15, 2015, 09:42:47 pm
Quote from: hogfan7 on April 13, 2015, 08:53:05 am

So, how many years does GCT have to go to the playoffs before you consider them to "have talent"?  What percentage of 5A schools have 'talent'?

Once upon a time in a galaxy far, far away, before AAU and "one-and-done", there was a concept called TACTICS. The idea was that a group working as a team could defeat their opponent. This idea seems to have gone out of fashion, but sometimes it can work (example: Wisconsin). Ok, Duke beat Wisconsin....maybe I need to stop typing. :-\

I guess those "tactics" served the last coach well.........Coaching and talent wins championships, you need both. GCT had good teams when Scott had Skylar, Standrick, and Hartwig, not as good whrn they didn't.

Downnotout

I love Standrick and all, but when you are listing basketball talent of that Era he is not one of three I would name. Kirk Porter, Wes Livingston, Zach Mitchell, Jason Church, and Trace Davis cone to mind first.

ricepig

Quote from: Downnotout on April 16, 2015, 02:24:59 pm
I love Standrick and all, but when you are listing basketball talent of that Era he is not one of three I would name. Kirk Porter, Wes Livingston, Zach Mitchell, Jason Church, and Trace Davis cone to mind first.

Yeah, I knew there were some others, it just reinforces my thoughts on talent, or lack there of.

Downnotout

Talent is developed. During that run Tech had great coaches in Jr High. Been a few years since we had that consistency. Sure doesn't help when the parents feel the need to spoil their babies. Been a lot of that lately

ricepig

Quote from: Downnotout on April 17, 2015, 01:34:28 pm
Talent is developed. During that run Tech had great coaches in Jr High. Been a few years since we had that consistency. Sure doesn't help when the parents feel the need to spoil their babies. Been a lot of that lately

Well, seems like a lot of coaches have left lately, although most were football coaches. As far as your last statement, that's universal, not an exclusive for Tech.

ricepig

Looks like he had enough sense to get out of the scheduled game with Jonesboro in November, lol.

Silky Johnson

Quote from: Downnotout on April 16, 2015, 02:24:59 pm

Russell Jetton was always fun to watch. The Bowlin-GCT era had some ball players that played in many exciting games.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas