• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4-4A in 2016 (offseason chatter)

Started by beach bum, November 29, 2015, 08:43:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

beach bum

November 29, 2015, 08:43:05 pm Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 10:08:46 pm by beach bum
1.Booneville (yes this seems extreme for a team that just finished 5th in the 4-3A but they have plenty of young talent to reload back to where they should be)

2.Pottsville ( they will always finish in the top half of this league with the staff they have)

3.Dardanelle (they will be losing a lot but a foundation seems to have been built in this town, going 25-2 the last two years is absolutely incredible)

4.Ozark (being on the down slide for the last couple years seems so strange for a tradition rich program, I see them back in the top half of the league again though)

5.Waldron (yes this seems way out there, but I see the bottom half of this league being very down next year. They played much more respectable this year and I see another big jump from 2015 to 2016. The move from the 7-4A to the 4-4A is well appreciated by the Bulldogs)

6.Dover (losing Price will hurt them dearly, he is a great player and I hope he does well at the next level. The have a very nice staff in place now though so I could easily see them in the postseason again though)

7.West Fork (they are coming to 4A at the complete wrong time, there seems to not be near the talent coming up in the coming years for the Tigers, I hope they can prove me wrong though. I will be rooting for them in 4A though)

8.Subiaco (numbers always hurt them in football. It will always be that way. I love their school however)

**** NOTES
-I see this league not being as strong as the previous couple years
-Booneville has a lot of potential in the coming years again, I am talking a lot of potential. 3A is happy they are leaving again with what they have coming
-can Dardanelle keep what they have going?
-the 1 through 3 spots should be very competitive with a pretty decent gap after that
-I could see the 4 through 7 seeds fighting for the last two playoff spots

x14113

With the 4A-4 done for this year, here's what I expect to see for next year:

Title Contender: Pottsville--The Dugger twins may be gone, but in steps a solid junior class that are more than willing to take their place. The Apaches best be careful, though--there are teams in the next two tiers that could get in position to challenge their claim to the top.

On the Fence: Booneville, Ozark--Both these teams are likely to see major contributions from the underclasses next fall. The Bearcats in particular will likely be a sophomore-laden bunch, with those guys steamrolling everything on sight up to this point. In the meantime, the Hillbillies will have to find answers to the questions that will hound them in the offseason, especially at QB.

Fighting for Week 11: Dardanelle, Dover, West Fork--These three will experience the biggest overhauls from this past season. The timing couldn't be worse for the Tigers, as they graduate a strong class just before their return. Sand Lizard QB Elyas Carter fared pretty well when surrounded by experience; his play the next two years will speak volumes both for him and his program as a whole.

Looking to Surprise: Subiaco, Waldron--Simply put, until otherwise is witnessed, the cellar will be clad in orange for years to come.

beach bum

Quote from: x14113 on November 30, 2015, 12:37:29 am

Title Contender: Pottsville--The Dugger twins may be gone, but in steps a solid junior class that are more than willing to take their place. The Apaches best be careful, though--there are teams in the next two tiers that could get in position to challenge their claim to the top.

On the Fence: Booneville, Ozark--Both these teams are likely to see major contributions from the underclasses next fall. The Bearcats in particular will likely be a sophomore-laden bunch, with those guys steamrolling everything on sight up to this point. In the meantime, the Hillbillies will have to find answers to the questions that will hound them in the offseason, especially at QB.

Fighting for Week 11: Dardanelle, Dover, West Fork--These three will experience the biggest overhauls from this past season. The timing couldn't be worse for the Tigers, as they graduate a strong class just before their return. Sand Lizard QB Elyas Carter fared pretty well when surrounded by experience; his play the next two years will speak volumes both for him and his program as a whole.

Looking to Surprise: Subiaco, Waldron--Simply put, until otherwise is witnessed, the cellar will be clad in orange for years to come.

Very good assessment....

Black and Gold

Despite Dardanelle's two critical losses these past two years, I'll have them at 1 and Bunnyville at 2. We will see what Dard has to offer Week 1 vs Charleston.

OLDSCHOOL82

Glad to be back in what seems like home for the bearcats.  Heres my rough rundown of 2016.  A few of the teams I am not certain of as its been two years since ive seen what they have. 

-Booneville:  Will be very young in all positions.  The Jr and Sr class next year will be small in numbers.  Don't pencil them in yet but they will be very competitive.  It will depend on how the youth transitions to Sr high.

-Pottsville:  Solid

-Dardanelle:  No where near where they have been the past two seasons.  They wont have a dominant back or two like they have had the last two years.  Same with the line as Brown is the only stout one to return.  Unless something changes with move ins or maturity, 3rd seed or so.

-Ozark:  Who knows exactly what their problem is with them seeming to get worse or stay the same as they age instead of improve.  They have some young size and talent in sr high now if they just get it to work.

-Waldron:  Still weak overall but much improved from the past.

-Dover:  Will struggle.

-West fork:  not a clue

-Subi- Subi... On a side note, I believe they are going to play their first ever jr high schedule next year!

Gray lizard

Well it will be fun to think about over the next few months.  West Fork did pretty well last time they were in the 4-4A. 
I expect the top three to be Boonville, Dardanelle, and Pottsville in no order.

I hated to see Dardanelle fall Friday night.  I sure thought it to be their year.

Overdahill

Quote from: Gray lizard on November 30, 2015, 10:33:24 am
Well it will be fun to think about over the next few months.  West Fork did pretty well last time they were in the 4-4A. 

I hated to see Dardanelle fall Friday night.  I sure thought it to be their year.

what happened to Dardanelle? was it weather? after the Robinson game I thought they would roll all the way to WMS for sure

hawgfan15

Quote from: Overdahill on November 30, 2015, 01:24:01 pm

what happened to Dardanelle? was it weather? after the Robinson game I thought they would roll all the way to WMS for sure

Yeah but that was when we all thought Robinson was a top 10 team in 4A.

I thought that the weather would benefit Dardanelle's big and physical offensive/defensive lines. I mean they were proclaimed to be the best in all of 4A.

Overdahill

I drank some of that Robinson Koolaide; it killed my memory at least :P

Gray lizard

[/quote]

They had all 11 with in 7 yards of the line and dared Dardanelle to throw the ball. Arky had their number in this game.  Neither of the boys that played QB could manage to throw the heavy wet ball in the down pour.  Nothing against the Badgers the weather and their game plan is what did Dardanelle in.  If it would have been a dry field I think the out come would have been a lot different. The game was played last Friday and both teams were on the same field and Arky is still playing and Dardanelle is not.

Overdahill

We Are Shiloh

Quote from: x14113 on November 30, 2015, 12:37:29 am

If only the Ozark JV could play instead of the Varsity... If so, then I would move them from the "on the fence" group up to the 'Title Contender" group.

the green moose

Just a little reminder, the last time West Fork moved up to the 4-4A from the 3A, West Fork came off a 3-6-1 season in the 3A the year before and then went 9-2 (7-0 in conference) in the 4-4A their first year there. The Moose isn't saying they'll win conference, just don't take them lightly. The Moose is glad to be back in the 4-4A.

Bigredhog1971

That says a lot about the 4-4A when a 3A team and Waldron are more then happy to be joining the conference!!!

nastynice

That's because they get to play Subi! Lol 

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: the green moose on December 01, 2015, 12:15:17 am
Just a little reminder, the last time West Fork moved up to the 4-4A from the 3A, West Fork came off a 3-6-1 season in the 3A the year before and then went 9-2 (7-0 in conference) in the 4-4A their first year there. The Moose isn't saying they'll win conference, just don't take them lightly. The Moose is glad to be back in the 4-4A.

Its all about timing with talent. 

beach bum

Quote from: Bigredhog1971 on December 01, 2015, 01:00:06 am
That says a lot about the 4-4A when a 3A team and Waldron are more then happy to be joining the conference!!!

Still bitter Ashdown came up to NWA and couldn't win against a weak 1-4A team?

The Coach

It's an excuse no doubt about it but that was by far the worst field conditions I've ever seen a game played in. There had to be 2-4 inches of rain on the field and it poured the entire game as hard as it had all day. The field was rough before kickoff and it was a disaster by half and it hurt Dardanelle a lot more then even I thought it would. Arky handled it much better and played it well to their advantage putting everyone in the box to stop the run. The Lizards were able to hit 1 big pass and Arky hit 3-4 and that was the difference in the game. A normal night or even a turf field and Dardanelle is prolly still playing but, that's the breaks and good luck to Arky this week. There is no doubt Dardanelle is as good as anyone in 4A especially up front.

Bigredhog1971

Quote from: beach bum on December 01, 2015, 12:18:06 pm
Quote from: Bigredhog1971 on December 01, 2015, 01:00:06 am

Still bitter Ashdown came up to NWA and couldn't win against a weak 1-4A team?
Has nothing to do with that Bum because more years then not the 1-4a and the 4-4a aren't the top conferences!!!

hogfan10

Quote from: The Coach on December 01, 2015, 04:16:26 pm

It's an excuse no doubt about it but that was by far the worst field conditions I've ever seen a game played in. There had to be 2-4 inches of rain on the field and it poured the entire game as hard as it had all day. The field was rough before kickoff and it was a disaster by half and it hurt Dardanelle a lot more then even I thought it would. Arky handled it much better and played it well to their advantage putting everyone in the box to stop the run. The Lizards were able to hit 1 big pass and Arky hit 3-4 and that was the difference in the game. A normal night or even a turf field and Dardanelle is prolly still playing but, that's the breaks and good luck to Arky this week. There is no doubt Dardanelle is as good as anyone in 4A especially up front.

The weather and field conditions should have played to Dardanelle's advantage, their dominant lines. Dardanelle couldn't take advantage of it, my guess is because they just aren't as dominant up front as everyone seemed to think they were.

The Coach

December 01, 2015, 09:07:47 pm #20 Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 09:29:52 pm by The Coach
Quote from: hogfan10 on December 01, 2015, 06:26:49 pm

The weather and field conditions should have played to Dardanelle's advantage, their dominant lines. Dardanelle couldn't take advantage of it, my guess is because they just aren't as dominant up front as everyone seemed to think they were.

They def were not the dominant team on Friday that they'd been all season. That had a lot to do with Arky and their game plan.

apache_alum_90

hogfan10

Quote from: The Coach on December 01, 2015, 09:07:47 pm
Quote from: hogfan10 on December 01, 2015, 06:26:49 pm

They def were not the dominant team on Friday that they'd been all season. That had a lot to do with Arky and their game plan.

I can agree with that.

the green moose

Gray lizard

Just my thoughts but how could anyone not pick Dardanelle to be the top team in the 4-4a?
Seems like they have went 14 out of 14 the last two years.  I know they are graduating several this year, but a lot of the younger players got a lot of playing time and that is how you build a team year after year. The coaching is good at Dardanelle and Pottsville and I see it being between these two schools.  I think one will be 7-0 and the other 6-1 in the 4-4a.

The Coach

Quote from: Gray lizard on December 02, 2015, 04:47:24 pm
Just my thoughts but how could anyone not pick Dardanelle to be the top team in the 4-4a?
Seems like they have went 14 out of 14 the last two years.  I know they are graduating several this year, but a lot of the younger players got a lot of playing time and that is how you build a team year after year. The coaching is good at Dardanelle and Pottsville and I see it being between these two schools.  I think one will be 7-0 and the other 6-1 in the 4-4a.

Just based on what they lose off of this team.

What's crazy is the group of JR's are the ones that won the conference as 9th graders not the SR's or last years SR's. I know that doesn't always translate but it's interesting to me.

Lacerta agilis

Quote from: The Coach on December 02, 2015, 05:05:07 pm
Quote from: Gray lizard on December 02, 2015, 04:47:24 pm
Seems like they have went 14 out of 14 the last two years.  I know they are graduating several this year, but a lot of the younger players got a lot of playing time and that is how you build a team year after year. The coaching is good at Dardanelle and Pottsville and I see it being between these two schools.  I think one will be 7-0 and the other  6-1 in the 4-4a.

Just based on what they lose off of this team.

What's crazy is the group of JR's are the ones that won the conference as 9th graders not the SR's or last years SR's. I know that doesn't always translate but it's interesting to me.

Good point. This year's Jr. class has the most conference championships (Jr. high and Sr. high) of any class at Dardanelle... at least in current history.

the green moose

Because Dardenelle is 0-2 against West Fork.

Jacketman65

Yawn, yawn, lets not compare Jr. high success to HS.  There is a huge difference in the two, there are several schools across the state that have had very successful  Jr. high programs that have not carried over to the HS level.  Unless we are talking about the Ozark JV squad, then it is not worth discussing!

Lacerta agilis

Quote from: Jacketman65 on December 03, 2015, 12:37:47 am
Yawn, yawn, lets not compare Jr. high success to HS.  There is a huge difference in the two, there are several schools across the state that have had very successful  Jr. high programs that have not carried over to the HS level.  Unless we are talking about the Ozark JV squad, then it is not worth discussing!

OK. Next year's Sr class for Dardanelle has a HS record of 25-2. What they did in JR high is irrelevant.

We Are Shiloh

Quote from: Jacketman65 on December 03, 2015, 12:37:47 am

;D ;D ;D
just doesn't get old. 

plus 1

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas