• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

6-2A Offseason

Started by Da Truff, April 20, 2017, 08:35:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Da Truff

With spring ball right around the corner, how does everyone's offseason been looking?  How many kids do you have in the weight room?  Has anyone made any huge gains to brag about?

BisonFan1

Although it's been a quiet offseason, I have been told recently that the Bison have been making some very impressive gains in the weight room.  I have always heard that Mark runs a heck of an offseason program.  They'll need every bit of it, especially considering some of the linemen and running backs that are graduating in a few weeks.   

TNT43012

I have seen it first hand! Lots of gains in the weight room in for the Bison. 

Ventman

The Bison should be pretty big upfront and they move well for big guys as well.

Lions84

I have not heard about what going on in C town down on the river.

BisonFan1

Quote from: TNT43012 on April 24, 2017, 09:15:21 am
I have seen it first hand! Lots of gains in the weight room in for the Bison.

That's good to hear.  It all starts in the weight room. 

Big Dave

April 30, 2017, 06:52:58 pm #6 Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 07:45:33 pm by Big Dave
We have some big spots to fill on the line and in the backfield.

BisonFan1

Quote from: Big Dave on April 30, 2017, 06:52:58 pm
Wee have some big spots to fill on the line and in the backfield.

No doubt.  Wish those guys had another year of eligibility. 

Ventman

Anybody heard how the Bison are doing this offseason? How are the other teams looking?

big E

PW had 28 yesterday with 4 on vacation so numbers look good for Coach knowlton.

Lions84

Good for the Pats Big E

big E

The kids have responded well to him so far. We'll see how it goes over the summer,  they have 22 lifts to get in before fall camp starts. I've said all along  if you hold them accountable you might lose some but the ones you keep will be better in the long run.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: big E on May 24, 2017, 05:24:06 am
PW had 28 yesterday with 4 on vacation so numbers look good for Coach knowlton.
I quit counting spring numbers years ago. Some kids love football more in May than in August.

Lumberjackfan1978

RiverEagle079

The DA boys are putting up good numbers as of last week if he couple I talked to are telling the truth lol

MomaLion

Clarendon had 24 at the spring scrimmage Tues.  I know at least 2 weren't at school that day and 1 that was there will be attending the Math and Science school in Hot Springs next year.  Size looked pretty good and they had some speed...we'll see how many are still there in August  :)

BisonFan1

Quote from: big E on May 24, 2017, 12:31:06 pm
The kids have responded well to him so far. We'll see how it goes over the summer,  they have 22 lifts to get in before fall camp starts. I've said all along  if you hold them accountable you might lose some but the ones you keep will be better in the long run.

Exactly.  See Carlisle. 

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: BisonFan1 on May 25, 2017, 07:32:14 am
Exactly.  See Carlisle.

I've known U a long time and there's no gray area with him.  Get with the program or get out.

big E

And that's the way it should be do the work or don't play period.

BisonFan1

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on May 26, 2017, 03:47:43 pm
I've known U a long time and there's no gray area with him.  Get with the program or get out.

Yea, Mark doesn't tolerate individuals who are not willing to put in the work.  It's refreshing to see that there are still some coaches that hold their kids accountable.  Unfortunately, that is no longer the norm, but instead the exception.  Because of that, he'll probably never have high numbers, but you can bet the ones he does have will be tough, hard-nosed players.  You could tell the difference in the kids by watching them last year.  That was a resilient bunch that kept fighting and never gave up.   

HorseFeathers

Quote from: BisonFan1 on May 27, 2017, 10:00:07 am
Yea, Mark doesn't tolerate individuals who are not willing to put in the work.  It's refreshing to see that there are still some coaches that hold their kids accountable.  Unfortunately, that is no longer the norm, but instead the exception.  Because of that, he'll probably never have high numbers, but you can bet the ones he does have will be tough, hard-nosed players.  You could tell the difference in the kids by watching them last year.  That was a resilient bunch that kept fighting and never gave up.   

What's unfortunate is in a lot of small towns the parents won't tolerate a coach like this....

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: HorseFeathers on May 28, 2017, 08:42:23 am
What's unfortunate is in a lot of small towns the parents won't tolerate a coach like this....
so true

big E

Then they shouldn't complain when the program is not up to snuff. A lot of people say they want to win.  Some are not smart enough to realize that winning comes with a price. Blood sweat and tears. And to quote the Nature boy if you wanna walk that isle you gotta pay the price woohoo. Lol

HorseFeathers

Quote from: big E on May 28, 2017, 07:56:26 pm
Then they shouldn't complain when the program is not up to snuff. A lot of people say they want to win.  Some are not smart enough to realize that winning comes with a price. Blood sweat and tears. And to quote the Nature boy if you wanna walk that isle you gotta pay the price woohoo. Lol

But little Johnny and little Suzie are natural born all-star players that dont need to work that hard or need any motivation

Big Dave

May 29, 2017, 08:07:58 pm #24 Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 10:17:44 pm by Big Dave
Yeah.. everybody says they want a coach that big on discipline until its their kid. I'm gonna say this, I had a Sr and a freshman last year and they both like and respect Coach U. If you do what he asks and don't mouth, then you won't have a problem.

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: Big Dave on May 29, 2017, 08:07:58 pm
Yeah.. everybody says they want a coach that big on discipline until its their kid. I'm gonna say this, I had a Sr and a freshman last year and they both like and respect Coach U. If you do what he asks and don't mouth, then you won't have a problem.

Kudos to you for teaching them to respect authority.  Not enough of that these days. 

Ventman

I'm all for having a tough coach but it's hard to play with 22 kids.

BisonFan1

Quote from: Ventman on May 30, 2017, 11:40:18 am

No doubt it would help to have higher numbers, but at what cost?  Allowing players to stay around that don't tow the line?  We ran into that problem with Keith.  The kids basically ran the program, hence why it didn't succeed.  I read in the paper that they have 24 out, so there must have been a couple that were hurt.  Maybe they will pick up some more kids in the summer.  I do know this senior class is really small, so most of the numbers are in the lower grades, which is a good sign, if they all stick with it.

Having no depth does make it harder to win, but many 2A schools are in the same boat, so it's not like we are facing teams with outrageously higher numbers than us.  DA, Hazen, P/W, etc., will all probably have around 25 or so by the season.  You can still win with small numbers, your players just have to be extremely tough and in really good shape (plus no injuries).  I remember the days when Coach McClellan would win game after game, championship after championship, at Barton, with only 3 or 4 players standing on the sideline.   

Ventman

Oh no don't get me wrong I will take the respect and discipline over the high numbers anyday. Give me 22 players with heart, work ethic, and respect any day.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Ventman on May 30, 2017, 11:40:18 am

Not sure des arc had that many last year.

BisonFan1

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on June 04, 2017, 11:10:41 am

Not sure des arc had that many last year.

Most of the teams in our conference all have about the same amount of kids, with the exception of maybe McCrory and much of that is probably due to them winning it all a few years back.  I think a good number to shoot for in 2A is 30.  Like I said, according our local paper, the Bison currently sit at 24.  That's two more than we had last year, and hopefully we can add a few over the summer/during fall camp. 

Ventman

I'm ready for football but got to get through the summer to get there. I don't like these summers much anymore.

Dr. Defense

Quote from: Ventman on June 05, 2017, 09:14:11 am
I'm ready for football but got to get through the summer to get there. I don't like these summers much anymore.
Too dang hot!

BisonFan1

To get back on topic, how do you all see 6-2A shaking out this upcoming year?  I don't know much about other teams, outside of Carlisle.  So I'll give a detailed look at our upcoming team.

2016 Record:  7-5 (loss to Danville in 2nd round of the playoffs)
Key Losses:  Gray Amaden, Tyler Sanders, Ty Golleher, Devon Kendrick, Carson Cunningham.
Key Returners:  Jasean Harper, Mitch Lewis, Houston Garrich, Seidenschwartz kids (sp?), Baylor Craig, among others. 
Strengths:  I know we lost several good players from last years line, but I think this may be our strength.  We have some good size and with this being the second year in the system, I think this group may surprise.  I also think our backfield, will be solid.  May not have the studs we did last year, but I think they will be effective.  Finally, improved team strength.  I have been told by several people "in the know" that the boys got remarkably stronger this offseason.  That should also help. 
Weaknesses: As with many other teams in the conference, depth will be an issue.  I recently read where we have 24 players, which is actually two more than last year.  Unforeseen injuries could be devastating.  Also, our defensive backfield...this is just speculation on my part, but this seemed to be our achilles heel at times last year.  Add to that, that we are losing two starters with Golleher and Cunningham, and this could be a definite weakness.   
Outlook:  I know we lost several good seniors from last year's team, but I think we will be okay.  Coach said he was 'pleased' with the progress this spring and how much the team retained from last year, which, knowing Mark, if he said he was pleased then that must mean they did really well.  The line looks to have some really good size.  I was somewhat worried about the backfield with the loss of Golleher and Kendrick, but I think we have some capable replacements. 

With all of that being said, here is my VERY PREMATURE ranking of the conference.

1.  Des Arc:  I know they are losing some studs, but until someone knocks them off, you have to leave them here.  Good coach, great tradition. 
2.  Hazen:  Bad news:  coming off of a really bad year (for Hazen standards).  Good news:  Junior high team was REALLY, REALLY good so I look for that group to move up and really make some noise.  Also, Penn is a stud.   
3.  Carlisle:  Have some holes to fill (namely Golleher, Kendrick, Sanders and Amaden), but I think we will be just fine.  Would not be surprised to see us finish higher than third due to the fact that we have both Hazen & DA at home. 
4.  McCrory:  Don't know much about them or what they have coming back, but I think they will be solid, as usual.
5.  Clarendon:  I think these guys could potentially be the dark horse of the conference.  I was really impressed with them last year; not sure what they have coming back, but they may surprise some folks.   
6.  P/W:  They have a new coach coming in, so I really don't know what to expect from them.
7.  Augusta:  Same as P/W
8.  Brinkley:  Don't really know much about them either.  They usually have some really good athletes, it's just a matter of bringing it all together. 
9.  Marvell:  Enough said.

MomaLion

Quote from: BisonFan1 on June 05, 2017, 05:47:45 pm

5.  Clarendon:  I think these guys could potentially be the dark horse of the conference.  I was really impressed with them last year; not sure what they have coming back, but they may surprise some folks.   

Clarendon loses some speed in Cross but has speed in other athletes.  We had about 24 at the spring scrimmage.  We should also have Ced back after a year long injury early in the season last year.
I'm hoping we pick up a few new students as well since we were approved to be a school of innovation starting in the fall and we are starting construction on a new gym.

BisonFan1

Quote from: MomaLion on June 05, 2017, 11:50:54 pm

Clarendon loses some speed in Cross but has speed in other athletes.  We had about 24 at the spring scrimmage.  We should also have Ced back after a year long injury early in the season last year.
I'm hoping we pick up a few new students as well since we were approved to be a school of innovation starting in the fall and we are starting construction on a new gym.

Like I said, I would not be surprised at all to see Clarendon move into the top 4 in the conference.  I wasn't sure of what they had coming back, but I know I was impressed with what I saw last year when they played the Bison.  Definitely think they are moving in the right direction. 

Wonderdog

Quote from: MomaLion on June 05, 2017, 11:50:54 pm

Sadly I think Parker's football days are behind him. His injury may not allow him to continue with football.

MomaLion

Quote from: Wonderdog on June 06, 2017, 10:57:04 pm
Sadly I think Parker's football days are behind him. His injury may not allow him to continue with football.

I'd sure hate to see that for him.  He was all gung ho to get back in the game...worked his butt off in PT.

MomaLion

Quote from: BisonFan1 on June 06, 2017, 12:19:46 am
Like I said, I would not be surprised at all to see Clarendon move into the top 4 in the conference.  I wasn't sure of what they had coming back, but I know I was impressed with what I saw last year when they played the Bison.  Definitely think they are moving in the right direction.

I think we are definitely headed in the right direction but we are losing a few hard hitters including one of our more motivational players who is transfering to ASMSA in Hot Springs.  We had some new faces at the scrimmage that i'm not familiar with so only time will tell.

Lions84

I hope they have good year at Clarendon.

BigLion10

What's those eagles looking like this year Pick??

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: BigLion10 on June 09, 2017, 08:09:34 pm
What's those eagles looking like this year Pick??

Young but talented.

BigLion10

da greatest bigbaby

June 13, 2017, 09:43:16 pm #43 Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 07:38:37 pm by da greatest bigbaby
No.5 come on you guys more like top 3 maybe 2 we whip'd hazen last year dont think their gonna whip everbody with Sophomores An we got our run'n back healthy big line an lots of speed just have to swap out @ the qb spot we won the 2a-3 district track meet in Beebe  on our side of the conference split  unless you guys find  some speed carlisle Brinkley Augusta palestine mccrory marvell it's gonna be a long season for you guys an the numbers wouldn't matter   lol I'm sure Des arc will be ready tho  we got marked tree sept 1 I hope we don't blow another 28-0 lead wow go lions an stay healthy

MomaLion

Quote from: da greatest bigbaby on June 13, 2017, 09:43:16 pm
No.5 come on you guys more like top 3 maybe 2 we whip'd hazen last year dont think their gonna whip everbody with Sophomores An we got our run'n back healthy big line an lots of speed just have to swap out @ the qb spot we won the 2a-3 district track meet in Beebe  on our side of the conference split  unless you guys find  some speed carlisle Brinkley Augusta palestine mccrory marvell it's gonna be a long season for you guys an the numbers wouldn't matter   lol I'm sure Des arc will be ready tho  we got marked tree sept 1 I hope we don't blow another 28-0 lead wow go lions an stay healthy
Is Ced for sure playing? Is Horns still qb? I was impressed with the size and speed we had at the scrimmage.  Also, it seems they are more committed to hitting the weight room and summer workouts.
And I wouldn't overlook Hazen, they had a heckuva Jr high last year and they usually have kids that are well older than their grade level.

da greatest bigbaby

June 14, 2017, 01:55:29 am #45 Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 07:39:13 pm by da greatest bigbaby
Well moma how did Cedric parker  look in the scrimmage I kno his leg rehab went well along with jtyia Thomas an his speed was pretty good around  11.5 100 meters an as far as hazen goes prolly not this year you can't really depend on soph against the tough 2a-6 seniors  now Earle an  marianna may have some speed to compete nxt year  Augusta an mccrory is 2a-3

Heisman Pose

How big of an impact will QB from Haven be? He looks like the real deal .

BisonFan1

Quote from: da greatest bigbaby on June 13, 2017, 09:43:16 pm

I guess you missed the part where I said I would not be surprised if Clarendon made some noise and finished in the top half of the conference.  You don't have to convince me...I was impressed by what I saw last year.  If the Lions can just shore up a few things here and there, they could very well have a breakout year.  I still think they finish behind DA, Carlisle and Hazen, but would not be surprised in the least to see them finish 4th. 

MomaLion

Quote from: da greatest bigbaby on June 14, 2017, 01:55:29 am
Well moma how did Cedric parker  look in the scrimmage I kno his leg rehab went well along with jtyia Thomas an his speed was pretty good around  11.5 100 meters an as far as hazen goes prolly not this year you can't really depend on soph against the tough 2a-6 seniors  now Earle an  marianna may have some speed to compete nxt year  Augusta an mccrory is 2a-3
Honestly, I was watching from a distance...I had pink eye lol, so I couldn't see all the numbers.

da greatest bigbaby

I understand moma I will get a chance to watch him  @ our camp this summer the Cedric Houston skills an agility camp on  July 29th

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas