• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Camps

Started by HorseFeathers, July 19, 2014, 09:31:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HorseFeathers

don't follow any volleyball at all but was curious as to why booneville would travel all the way to licking missouri for a team camp. . . That's a 4 hour trip one way for a summer camp. Are there a lack of quality camps in arkansas or something?

Valleysports

HF, if you get a chance - watch a Russellville VB game this year.  After that TECH will be on top 4 years.  Signed three of the top girls in Arkansas (I know one who's turned all the DI down, to stay home). That's right future  OBU Fans, you'll be shedding some tears. Not too late yet!

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Valleysports on July 20, 2014, 07:57:32 pm
HF, if you get a chance - watch a Russellville VB game this year.  After that TECH will be on top 4 years.  Signed three of the top girls in Arkansas (I know one who's turned all the DI down, to stay home). That's right future  OBU Fans, you'll be shedding some tears. Not too late yet!

Man I;m going to admit this...I've never watched Volleyball in my life...for the game, have been flipping through the channels and stopped and Watched Women's Beach Volleyball for a minute or two before moving on..

Reason i started this thread was because I was sitting in the Steak N Shake in Branson yesterday, and a Booneville Bus Rolled in, and all the girls are wearing Licking Team Camp T-Shirts...just got my curiousity up...

Valleysports

It's pretty good stuff - certainly not like girls basketball or some other sport, parents watch before the boys game.  Watching TECH is fun - and FREE.  Here in a couple of months, when they put the "Tech Volleyball Tonight" sign - out, swing in.   

AllStarSportsFan

Quote from: Valleysports on July 20, 2014, 07:57:32 pm

Which DI has she turned down?

Valleysports

AllStarSportsFan - ha ha - I don't know who you are.  All I'm saying is, if you're recruiting - you'd better get your cards on the table.

1-Adam-12

July 27, 2014, 03:41:32 pm #6 Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 03:51:53 pm by 1-Adam-12
HF, this is the 6th straight year Booneville has gone up there. And in the past Greenwood, Mansfield, Paris, Atkins and others have made the same trip.

The coaches see this as an opportunity to better the team and take a look at any incoming players.  Usually we have a surprise package pop up, a girl or two who wasn't expected to contribute right away showing otherwise.  For instance, last year we had a sophomore middle who started camp on the 3rd team and was on the 1st team when it was over.   This year it was a setter who showed tremendous improvement.

It is a very well-run camp, and Booneville this year played teams from five different states (AR, MO, OK, KS, IL).   Plus, the team gets to enjoy the fun to be had around Branson.

There is no question that it helps the team.  Booneville has steadily made progress and in the last two camps, has been in the second-top bracket and won one match both times.

This year we played Enid, OK in pool and split with them; this is a 5A team who won 25 matches last season, so no slouch.  Incidentally, Enid has a pretty long drive as well.

I can say this because I was with the team.  I was the guy in a purple shirt from our 2012 trip to state.

Rogers Heritage has a pretty good team camp. We were going to go up there but had to cancel. Instead we're going to one in Mena on Tuesday.  Going to be some good volleyball played with us, Mena, Mansfield, Lakeside and Jessieville participating.  All five went to state last season and all five will probably be there at the end of this season too.

Valleysports

July 27, 2014, 07:06:20 pm #7 Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 10:24:42 pm by Valleysports
There is a huge differential in HS Volleyball, HF. JO (club ball) VB, is crucial for college potential athletes.  HS VB is for recreation and can be fun, scrappy, & competitive at any level - but if a school team happens to have a handful of club players, they will dominate, barring the HS Coach doesn't get in the way.  Club Programs are only located in certain areas of the state - which is reflected in HS Volleyball.  I'd better PM you any further comments - LOL

1-Adam-12

Hopefully that will apply to us soon.  We had four players play for FSJ and two for Velocity (GW) in the past which has helped us to be a regular at the state tournament, but this winter we got our own JO program started.  It's affiliated with FSJ but all but two players were from Booneville. 

The setter I mentioned was on the 15U team. There was also a 13U team, and they hope to maybe add another age group for next JO season.  In all there were 16 girls between the two teams.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on July 27, 2014, 03:41:32 pm
HF, this is the 6th straight year Booneville has gone up there. And in the past Greenwood, Mansfield, Paris, Atkins and others have made the same trip.

The coaches see this as an opportunity to better the team and take a look at any incoming players.  Usually we have a surprise package pop up, a girl or two who wasn't expected to contribute right away showing otherwise.  For instance, last year we had a sophomore middle who started camp on the 3rd team and was on the 1st team when it was over.   This year it was a setter who showed tremendous improvement.

It is a very well-run camp, and Booneville this year played teams from five different states (AR, MO, OK, KS, IL).   Plus, the team gets to enjoy the fun to be had around Branson.

There is no question that it helps the team.  Booneville has steadily made progress and in the last two camps, has been in the second-top bracket and won one match both times.

This year we played Enid, OK in pool and split with them; this is a 5A team who won 25 matches last season, so no slouch.  Incidentally, Enid has a pretty long drive as well.

I can say this because I was with the team.  I was the guy in a purple shirt from our 2012 trip to state.

Rogers Heritage has a pretty good team camp. We were going to go up there but had to cancel. Instead we're going to one in Mena on Tuesday.  Going to be some good volleyball played with us, Mena, Mansfield, Lakeside and Jessieville participating.  All five went to state last season and all five will probably be there at the end of this season too.

Thanks for the info sir...Just found it curious, I've driven through Licking dozens of times(My mom graduated from Salem which is 20ish miles from there)...and just thought it was odd to drive that far to the Little town of Licking Missouri for a camp.

1-Adam-12

July 27, 2014, 11:39:43 pm #10 Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 11:52:22 pm by 1-Adam-12
The camp was actually held in Branson and the surrounding communities like Hollister and Spokane. The organizers do other camps in Rolla, at Lake of the Ozarks and I think they even held one in OKC this year. 

Our girls, as I said, have a great time.  The day they played at Spokane, they went on to Lambert's in Ozark to eat after they finished.  They also were able to go on a lake cruise.

We will be playing in Atkins on August 25. Maybe you could make the short drive from Hector to watch.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on July 27, 2014, 11:39:43 pm
The camp was actually held in Branson and the surrounding communities like Hollister and Spokane. The organizers do other camps in Rolla, at Lake of the Ozarks and I think they even held one in OKC this year. 

Our girls, as I said, have a great time.  The day they played at Spokane, they went on to Lambert's in Ozark to eat after they finished.  They also were able to go on a lake cruise.

We will be playing in Atkins on August 25. Maybe you could make the short drive from Hector to watch.

Heck...I did watch soccer this year, is volleyball entertaining to the casual observer?

Valleysports

July 29, 2014, 02:26:45 am #12 Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 02:33:47 am by Valleysports
I would say it might be the most entertaining of all sports.  Warm up show with big spikes (equal to slam dunks).  When the game starts, it's non stop action until it's done.

First Game at TECH - Sept 9,  6:00 pm

1-Adam-12

One observation I saw coming out of Mena camp is that Mena is loaded.  I would have to think they are the clear favorite in 4A.  They have the best libero in the classification IMO, some very good hitters and with no VV to worry about the path is pretty clear.  No one scored more than 12 against them today, and all the teams that played them made state in their classifications last year. 

I know it's early and some teams had people missing, for instance one of our outside hitters and a setter were not there, but I can't say it would have made much difference.

AllStarSportsFan

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on July 29, 2014, 09:18:11 pm
One observation I saw coming out of Mena camp is that Mena is loaded.  I would have to think they are the clear favorite in 4A.  They have the best libero in the classification IMO, some very good hitters and with no VV to worry about the path is pretty clear.  No one scored more than 12 against them today, and all the teams that played them made state in their classifications last year. 

I know it's early and some teams had people missing, for instance one of our outside hitters and a setter were not there, but I can't say it would have made much difference.

That's impressive with Mena having lost two seniors who played in the All Star game.  I still think Jonesboro Westside will give them problems at Lonoke in the state tournament if they meet up there.  Westside is extremely well coached.  Mena benefited greatly by hosting the 4A tournament last year to make it to the finals against Valley View. 

1-Adam-12

August 06, 2014, 09:36:26 pm #15 Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 09:41:05 pm by 1-Adam-12
While Mena did lose their two big hitters, I feel they have just reloaded. 

I think Bunch (their libero) is one of the big keys to the team.  She is simply outstanding, and oddly enough she was not the libero from our conference last year that got put up for All-State. (Not to brag, but it was our libero who got All-State.)

The twins will give teams trouble in the middle.  Torix can really bring it from the outside.

I will be very surprised if Mena loses a conference match.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas