• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Unheralded legends of your program or county teams

Started by jbtiger73, April 11, 2014, 11:45:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbtiger73

This is definitely an off season topic. but one I definitely think will be very interesting. we all know, or have coaches and players that have excelled at their respective programs. and still live on through sites like these. but what about the certain players, fans, boosters, or other contributors behind the scenes. the ones that have always been there no matter what. regardless of records. just true genuine people in their communities, schools or county. they could range from someone at the concession stand, or ticket gate, athletic trainer, generous donor, ect... just wanna see some great stories about some great people. and PLEASE!!!, no negative comments. I know lately every good topic i've started up, has had some jerk get on here and question my credibility. only positive feedback please. THANK YOU!!!!

Lions84

While not in our county but in our district the Legendary Vernon Hicks comes to mind. That kid could find the end zone.

Lions84

I also add the forgotten Little Thumper Jerry Porter who played at Barton nearly 10 years before Brusier Pryor got on the field.

jbtiger73

definitely. also as you said in another post, mr. Rudy Henderson. who has been taping Monroe co. athletes for nearly 60 years.

MomaLion

Can't forget Mr Johnny Ellis...the voice of the LIONS...a couple seasons ago the qb and receiver were both from Holly Grove so we heard "the Holly Grove connection" a lot. He does so much for the athletes  :)

jbtiger73

yea, mr. Ellis has a lot of spunk in him. our coach used to tell us, "do whatever you can to shut that guy up". lol. but he definitely gave yall that home field advantage when it came to announcing the game.

Lions84

Jerry Eckwood cause 90 % of folks under 35 don't know of him at all.

THA TRUTH

jbtiger73

what do u expect. its the offseason. but figured someone was gonna come and be somewhat negative. just a matter of time.

MomaLion

Truth is just saying that because it isn't about Junction City lol.

jbtiger73

momma, im definitely sure JC has a lot of people they can talk about regarding this topic. hope they don't feel that they are too good to talk about this subject. its just a fun, off season topic. believe me. I've seen worse off season topics on here from me just visiting the site.

Lions84

Coaches Sonny Gordon at Holly Grove and Buddy Harding at Clarendon.  One Great uncle played with Harding for Gordon at HG and later the baby boy played for Gordon against Coach Harding .  Jimmy said the first year they play Clarendon that  the signals and play calls we exactly the same since Harding had gotten his stuff from Coach
Gordon.
Both these men won State Titles in FB, Basketball and Track.

Devil Supporter

Bobo Unvericht (sp?)--Augusta's #1 fan.  He passed away last summer but very rarely missed a game until his health got bad.  I remember when he had back surgery  in the early 90's and stood in stood at the south end of the field in Augusta to cheer on the Devils in his p'j's.  He was dedicated.

Lions84

Ricky Johnson at Clarendon Slick Rick put on some shows on some below average teams Clarendon had when we got shell shocked by the Injury bug.

jbtiger73

Andre King at Brinkley in the early 90's. great running back, and former neighbor of mine. but had the misfortune of coming up in the Madre Hill era. so definitely got overlooked. as far as the razorbacks were concerned. but did go on to have a great college career at UCA.

Lions84

Quote from: jbtiger73 on April 15, 2014, 02:56:25 pm
Andre King at Brinkley in the early 90's. great running back, and former neighbor of mine. but had the misfortune of coming up in the Madre Hill era. so definitely got overlooked. as far as the razorbacks were concerned. but did go on to have a great college career at UCA.

I remember Dad talking about him; Dad said he was a lot like Jerry Eckwood.

jbtiger73

he was a little shorter than Eckwood. but his arms and legs were much bigger than his though.

jbtiger73

I also remember a RB from Carlisle named Cody Simpson. he barreled over us for 250 yards. even tho we won the game by a couple td's, that dude was hard as heck to bring down. just wondered what ever happened to him?

Lions84

McGhee had a kid named Driver and he was tough to handle they knocked us out of the 1982 playoffs.

Lions84

Who were those 4 boys from Cotton Plant they ran the Wishbone and the 4 of them were the 1982 state 4x100 state track champions. Those 4 boys could fly.

big E

Cotton plants whole team could fly they never lacked for speed.

Lions84

I just remember on the front page of our scouting report it said in bold print. Their wishbone backfield is the defending Class A 4x100 champions.  In that game they had 5-6 TD' s called back due to and little WR who kept tackling our CR back.

jbtiger73

one of those guys was my uncle Larry Burks. he actually beat Eckwood at a non sanctioned track meet in Brinkley. they told me it was only 4 teams at that meet. he died about 3 years ago. but from what my mom and my dad and uncles told me, that they were the real deal.

whippersnapper

Even thought they are not 2a Ill mention some for Newport. One family that is really important
I feel is the Black's. Coach Kenny Black was an assistant for the hounds since around 1982/83. Coach Black was a long time assistant for football under Coach Keedy and many after him. He also restarted the baseball program and lead them to 2 state runner ups in the 90s and had many great teams. But Coach Black also has 2 brothers. Bud and David Black both are owners of the Cable 15 TV station of Newport and do a great job of covering the greyhounds on each Friday night since 1994. Bud was known as "The Voice" of the hounds. While David has carried on with the Friday night coverage to this day. If the Keedy's are the first family of the Newport Greyhounds then i would say the Black's are the second family.

jbtiger73

Lions84

Butch Knoll was our QB my Jr Year and he had been a state winner in Punt Pass and Kick when he was a kid.  He had a solid arm and was a 4 sport athlete at CHS and in the community. He was always nice to under classmen and his Father was part owner of Knoll-English Ford there in town.  He was a great weapon cause he could punt out of the Shotgun which allowed us to pin folks inside the 10 tones of times.

MomaLion

Quote from: Lions84 on April 21, 2014, 12:00:51 pm
Butch Knoll was our QB my Jr Year and he had been a state winner in Punt Pass and Kick when he was a kid.  He had a solid arm and was a 4 sport athlete at CHS and in the community. He was always nice to under classmen and his Father was part owner of Knoll-English Ford there in town.  He was a great weapon cause he could punt out of the Shotgun which allowed us to pin folks inside the 10 tones of times.
I remember hearing that name 84...my older sister graduated in 84 so maybe through her.

Lions84

Quote from: MomaLion on April 22, 2014, 12:41:14 am
Quote from: Lions84 on April 21, 2014, 12:00:51 pm
I remember hearing that name 84...my older sister graduated in 84 so maybe through her.
Butch got out in 83 a year a head of me.

Lions84

Vincent Burke from Holly Grove he was the last 4 year letterman HG had before they shut down Football.

Lions84

I going way back to the early 1960's when Clarendon had the Delta Legend Johnny Steeland at RB.    Johnny was a known showboat and one night ran backwards 40 yards for a TD while a Wynne DB was doing all he could to catch him.    He set numerous Track records to boot.

mtindian42

Taurus Jones is probley the best that we have had here at marked tree.

WonderWartHawg

William Miller, RB from Rison in the mid 70's, NAIA All American at OBU, made it to last cut with the Atlanta Falcons, went to CFL and was rookie of the year up there.

Lions84

Lions84

Lions84

Marvell was Pretty Salty with Billy at the helm in the early 1980's but after he left they fell off the map.

Lions84

Remember folks running the 5-2-4 D it was used to stop passing attacks back in the Day.  I am surprised to see it get flipped to the 4-2-5 since the spread came along.

jbtiger73

one less defender in secondary due to threat of back out the backfield.

Lions84

Yep the 5-2-4 went out of style by the early 1960s because it was not as effective against the spit T or wing T running games of the time.  We saw it rarely in the early 1980's against some schools with older coaches .  That FB Dive made for a long night for them.

FD4

L84, Got to give cudos on Vernon and Jerry Eckwood,(to quote a former Wynne player who played against Eckwood, "a man amongst boys") and to the Augusta fan that posted about Bobo, Bobo was a personal friend of mine whom I miss a lot.  But, as long as this thread is on this topic, and you dont mind some 5A comments, I got one for ya....................Kurt King, former head coach of Augusta, and in fact, their first head coach.  Coached for 30+ years and retired from coaching in 73.  Small in stature, but massive in heart.  Coached the likes of Billy Ray Smith, former NFL stand out, Mark Miller, Razorback QB and all SWC player.  Many others of great talent cultivated by the man the Kurt King Award is named after. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas