• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Augusta School

Started by Elvis, January 10, 2014, 07:25:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Elvis

I here that Augusta might be forced to close the school due to the lack of funds. Where will those kids go ? McCrory, Des Arc or Bald Knob ?

Lions84

Hope that just another bad rumor.

HorseFeathers

If they are forced to close they might split between the three but isn 't mcrory the closest

Cheek

Quote from: HF on January 10, 2014, 09:35:45 am
If they are forced to close they might split between the three but isn 't mcrory the closest

August will consolidate with McCrory.  The students from Cotton Plant may choose to go to Brinkley or Des Arc.  If this does occur, McCrory will be a beast in 2A football at least for this classification cycle.   

bdubyab60

Not getting much from Augusta football. Sure it would make them deeper but there is way more talent at Mccrory for football.

Idoknow

Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 10, 2014, 03:49:18 pm
Not getting much from Augusta football. Sure it would make them deeper but there is way more talent at Mccrory for football.
Augusta has talent but the problem is getting them there!

bdubyab60

Quote from: Idoknow on January 10, 2014, 07:19:16 pm
Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 10, 2014, 03:49:18 pm
Augusta has talent but the problem is getting them there!
Like I said not much. Didn't say they didn't have any just not much.

Dayton Kitchens

No truth to the rumor from the opening post by the way.

R. A.™

you are about to see the birth of the Woodruff County school sysytem...IF this is true, sad to see it happen, but it is just how the times are in the delta...

Lions84

Nothing on the Ark Dept of Ed site or AAA so I call this rumor DOA!

birddawg1986

If I were Augusta residents I think that I would attend a school board meeting, and look at there finances. Might be shocked at what you see !!!!!! :-X

WonderWartHawg

I remember when Augusta was a top program in Class A.   Sent at least one that I recall to the Razorbacks, a QB named Mark Miller I believe.

It's sad to see all the once small but strong towns in Arkansas fading away, as local jobs dry up, as schools are closed, as folks move away.

Clarendon was always good, Dermott, Gillett, Gould used to have good teams... the list goes on and on.

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: WonderWartHawg on January 20, 2014, 10:21:11 am
I remember when Augusta was a top program in Class A.   Sent at least one that I recall to the Razorbacks, a QB named Mark Miller I believe.

It's sad to see all the once small but strong towns in Arkansas fading away, as local jobs dry up, as schools are closed, as folks move away.

Clarendon was always good, Dermott, Gillett, Gould used to have good teams... the list goes on and on.

IIRC, Gillett's last football team made the playoffs.

Of course, they didn't win any games that season....

Lions84

Yep several of our towns have hit the skids. 

FD4

Billy Ray Smith, NFL.  Larry Lawrence ASU, Mark Miller UofA.  Not to mention many others that could have played at the next level that never did and many I don't know about.  Yes, it would be a sad day for Augusta if that school closed.  But one needs to remember, it is not the sports programs in the schools that make them tick.  It is what goes on in the classroom.  Every school needs to deliver quality education first and formost.  I do not know of that status at Augusta, nor the finances.  I would hope if it did happen, McCrory would welcome them with open arms.  It would mean the end of one eara and the beginning of another.

Cheek

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on January 11, 2014, 08:52:58 am
No truth to the rumor from the opening post by the way.
[/quot

This is not a rumor, and is all truth.  Augusta School is in alto of trouble.  It has to deal with finances and numbers. Augusta can not afford to run an elementary school in Cotton Plant any longer, and will have to shut it down very soon. If the parents in Cotton Plant choose to send their children to closer districts like Brinkley or Des Arc, it will cost Augusta a lot of money.  Augusta will need to keep all the kids from Cotton Plant to stay above the ADE magic number of 350.  It is not a question of if they will close , but when will they close.   Augusta is not the first school to consolidate and will not be the last. 

bdubyab60

My mother who is a teacher knows some of the admin at Augusta. And they told her some of the same things and that they were trying very hard to change things around there.

HorseFeathers

Only 33 kids go to the elementary in Cotton Plant.....402 go to k-12 at Augusta(WOW didn't realize they were that small...)....

birddawg1986

That would be a very bad break for Augusta in the pocket book. Depends on who is going to run that school bus to Cotton Plant. Looks like Brinkley is only about 15 miles from Cotton Plant, and even McCrory is closer than Augusta. I think the state allows around $ 6200 per kid so that would be about a 200,000 lose for the Augusta school district if all kids leave. That would be hard for them to overcome, and like one post stated then the numbers game comes into play.  :'(

HorseFeathers

Quote from: birddawg1986 on February 04, 2014, 07:45:02 am
That would be a very bad break for Augusta in the pocket book. Depends on who is going to run that school bus to Cotton Plant. Looks like Brinkley is only about 15 miles from Cotton Plant, and even McCrory is closer than Augusta. I think the state allows around $ 6200 per kid so that would be about a 200,000 lose for the Augusta school district if all kids leave. That would be hard for them to overcome, and like one post stated then the numbers game comes into play.  :'(

If they lose all the Cotton Plant kids...That would be a lot of expenses cut just be eliminating those jobs...They'd save just an estimated 120,000 or so just from teachers they wouldn't be paying anymore(this is just assuming one teacher per grade k-4, with a 30,000 salary, I know people around started in the 35000 a year range so just a rough guess)..They'd probably come close to breaking even when all was said and done. Now the real problem would be how many people would have the reaction of "Oh NOES theyz taking away our skool we gotz to moves our kid somewhere else!"...

Lions84

It sounds like a sad sad deal.

THA TRUTH

Quote from: Cheek on January 10, 2014, 12:39:21 pm
Quote from: HF on January 10, 2014, 09:35:45 am

August will consolidate with McCrory.  The students from Cotton Plant may choose to go to Brinkley or Des Arc.  If this does occur, McCrory will be a beast in 2A football at least for this classification cycle.   

Won't matter jc will run rough shod over everyone again this year

HorseFeathers

and you guys wonder why everyone stays on your case about the louisiana kids...learn some class....

Idoknow

February 04, 2014, 09:09:38 pm #23 Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 09:25:32 pm by Idoknow
Quote from: HF on February 04, 2014, 11:00:49 am

If they lose all the Cotton Plant kids...That would be a lot of expenses cut just be eliminating those jobs...They'd save just an estimated 120,000 or so just from teachers they wouldn't be paying anymore(this is just assuming one teacher per grade k-4, with a 30,000 salary, I know people around started in the 35000 a year range so just a rough guess)..They'd probably come close to breaking even when all was said and done. Now the real problem would be how many people would have the reaction of "
Quote from: HF on February 04, 2014, 11:00:49 am

If they lose all the Cotton Plant kids...That would be a lot of expenses cut just be eliminating those jobs...They'd save just an estimated 120,000 or so just from teachers they wouldn't be paying anymore(this is just assuming one teacher per grade k-4, with a 30,000 salary, I know people around started in the 35000 a year range so just a rough guess)..They'd probably come close to breaking even when all was said and done. Now the real problem would be how many people would have the reaction of "Oh NOES theyz taking away our skool we gotz to moves our kid somewhere else!"...
Oh NOES theyz taking away our skool we gotz to moves our kid somewhere else!"...
Talking about Class, making a statement like this might be the most outrageous statement I've read on FF. You need to think about people's ethnic and personal feelings before you post something like this! I would hope this is not the beliefs of the people in Hector.

THA TRUTH

Quote from: HF on February 04, 2014, 04:36:25 pm
and you guys wonder why everyone stays on your case about the louisiana kids...learn some class....

Can't be honest now a days to many nancy boys on here

Dayton Kitchens

There is absolutely no reason to insult and denigrate the residents of Cotton Plant regarding their concerns about losing their school.    It is a traumatic thing for a community and the end of decades of tradition and history is not something to be taken lightly. 

Never fault the people of a community for seeking to do what is best for their youth.

bdubyab60

Quote from: THA TRUTH on February 04, 2014, 10:55:06 pm

Can't be honest now a days to many nancy boys on here
And what does this thread have to do about JC and playing football. Oh thats right absolutely nothing to do with them.

THA TRUTH

I have an account that gives me the ability to post where ever I want from 7a to 2a football to softball and I want to include jc in any topic I choose so get over it and be glad it's the offseason

birddawg1986

I guess we can all talk about JC anytime. Well here's my time. What happen at the JC/Strong game ? Heard the Po Po had to separate fans ? I sat with a bunch of JC fans in Marmaduke last year when they blew a 17 pt halftime lead, and lost to EPC. They were very foul mouthed, and showed very poor sportsmanship. They should have blamed there coach or the players for shooting 40 3s in the second half, and just got MS'ed(Monk & Sturnivant). Maybe the state should just saw JC off the map, and let them float into to Louisiana.

bdubyab60

Quote from: THA TRUTH on February 05, 2014, 02:48:39 pm
I have an account that gives me the ability to post where ever I want from 7a to 2a football to softball and I want to include jc in any topic I choose so get over it and be glad it's the offseason
Its not always about JC though. But its stupid to make a thread about JC when its not even really about football and about a school possibly closing. I have the right to say what I want as well and its kind of sorry that you try and make this about JC and how arrogant you are.

THA TRUTH

Quote from: birddawg1986 on February 05, 2014, 03:36:42 pm
I guess we can all talk about JC anytime. Well here's my time. What happen at the JC/Strong game ? Heard the Po Po had to separate fans ? I sat with a bunch of JC fans in Marmaduke last year when they blew a 17 pt halftime lead, and lost to EPC. They were very foul mouthed, and showed very poor sportsmanship. They should have blamed there coach or the players for shooting 40 3s in the second half, and just got MS'ed(Monk & Sturnivant). Maybe the state should just saw JC off the map, and let them float into to Louisiana.

I'll tell u this now jc these days is a lot mouthier than past teams and last night got out if hand when strong fans tried to get at jc players as they were heading to the locker room

THA TRUTH

Quote from: bdubyab60 on February 05, 2014, 04:36:31 pm
Its not always about JC though. But its stupid to make a thread about JC when its not even really about football and about a school possibly closing. I have the right to say what I want as well and its kind of sorry that you try and make this about JC and how arrogant you are.

I'm just glad I have a reason to be arrogant

bdubyab60

Quote from: THA TRUTH on February 05, 2014, 07:26:33 pm
Quote from: bdubyab60 on February 05, 2014, 04:36:31 pm

I'm just glad I have a reason to be arrogant
I do to but no need for it really.

THA TRUTH

I see no point in ur last post but oh we'll got to live with it just like u have to live my arrogance and jc's dominance

FD4

I think Wynne has an open date in week 2, come on up and get your tail whipped.

bdubyab60

Quote from: THA TRUTH on February 05, 2014, 11:47:05 pm
I see no point in ur last post but oh we'll got to live with it just like u have to live my arrogance and jc's dominance
I see no point in anything you have said. Hasnt contributed anything to the discussion of the topic what so ever. Talk about JC on the JC topic post.

Lions84

Hope Augusta can stay open.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Elvis on January 10, 2014, 07:25:40 am
I here that Augusta might be forced to close the school due to the lack of funds. Where will those kids go ? McCrory, Des Arc or Bald Knob ?
Dayton, do any of these schools that Augusta might consolidate with need a volunteer dc?

itdontcare

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on February 21, 2014, 12:41:01 pm
Dayton, do any of these schools that Augusta might consolidate with need a volunteer dc?
vv(volunteer venny) From the augusta website, it is obvious that Dayton is not a volunteer..but why did you leave the 4a board to stalk Dayton on the 2a board? Do you not have enough rooms to clean to keep you busy?  I am going to ask Dayton if some of the third grade math teachers will work with you on your math skills. You may have some toes missing.

Uncle Ivan

Most of the intelligent kids in that town go to Harding Academy.  Any sort of consolidation will cause a hit in the test scores of the district that takes them in.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: itdontcare on February 21, 2014, 02:39:39 pm
vv(volunteer venny) From the augusta website, it is obvious that Dayton is not a volunteer..but why did you leave the 4a board to stalk Dayton on the 2a board? Do you not have enough rooms to clean to keep you busy?  I am going to ask Dayton if some of the third grade math teachers will work with you on your math skills. You may have some toes missing.
Rooms to clean? hahahahaha...you have me sadly mistaken...and Dayton is a Volunteer DC...Mrs. Kitchens...lol...

Lions84

The Majic number is a joke I would support making schools with under 350 to share a Super but they need to be kept open,  Gillett is way deader than it was when the School was still open.

itdontcare

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on March 03, 2014, 12:45:39 pm
Rooms to clean? hahahahaha...you have me sadly mistaken...and Dayton is a Volunteer DC...Mrs. Kitchens...lol...
VV..Its taken you almost two weeks to respond, so I figured you were behind on your cleaning shores. I still think Dayton can get you enrolled in a third grade math class at augusta. If you go shoeless, you will be able to count faster.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: itdontcare on March 04, 2014, 10:45:59 am
VV..Its taken you almost two weeks to respond, so I figured you were behind on your cleaning shores. I still think Dayton can get you enrolled in a third grade math class at augusta. If you go shoeless, you will be able to count faster.
Been traveling...and if i were shoeless I would fit right in with you and Mr. Kitchens...

itdontcare

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on March 05, 2014, 07:10:37 am
Been traveling...and if i were shoeless I would fit right in with you and Mr. Kitchens...
vv..Just having some fun with you, but remember..you are the one with limited math skills..lol

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: itdontcare on March 05, 2014, 08:52:17 am
Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on March 05, 2014, 07:10:37 am
vv..Just having some fun with you, but remember..you are the one with limited math skills..lol
Don't know where you get that...but Oh well...

MomaLion

+1

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas