• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach of the year Finalists

Started by HorseFeathers, December 12, 2013, 09:02:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HorseFeathers

Seen in the paper that the 3 finalists for Coach of the Year in 2A....are:
Mark Taylor--Hector
Ernie Horstkamp--Bearden
Dustin Prescott--Des Arc

Don't know when the all-star rosters will be released but same article said that our RB Gus Nichols will play on the West All-Star team. First guy from Hector to play in the All-Star game since 1995 I believe...

the game

All three Coach finalist have done a great job this season ... anyone of them would be good choice ... and I'm sure there are some others out there that had better than expected years and deserve praise too ...

amehr36

the game

I'd go with the winner of tomorrow nights game  ;) 

HorseFeathers

Quote from: amehr36 on December 12, 2013, 09:14:24 pm
Id go with the Hector coach.

Putting my homerism a side...I would to just because of how fast he's turned it around here. The 2 seasons before Taylor came to Hector, we struggled to field a team..and was 1-19 in the 2A-5, now 2 years later we have 30+ players and 17-7 in his time here.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

December 12, 2013, 09:23:03 pm #5 Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 09:24:34 pm by pick_DA_EAGLES
I'd go with des arc's prescott. d.a. was picked by the coaches to finish 4th in the 6-2A, and won it. Also has them in the semi's for the first time since '08.

Dragon I

Having the longest winning streak in the state gets no love?  I could understand none of the JC guys being on the list, since most of our stars are underclassmen, but what Coach Carpenter has done with last years group, and then led right on into this year has been amazing.  This has to be about the youngest team he has fielded, with his smallest lines, yet they haven't missed a beat.  Dancy and Armstrong are the two best offensive and defensive players in the state, but got nothing.  Now Carpenter.  This is a travesty, and a sham, and a mockery.

the game

December 12, 2013, 10:30:36 pm #7 Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 11:15:05 pm by the game
Quote from: Dragon I on December 12, 2013, 10:14:31 pm
Having the longest winning streak in the state gets no love?  I could understand none of the JC guys being on the list, since most of our stars are underclassmen, but what Coach Carpenter has done with last years group, and then led right on into this year has been amazing.  This has to be about the youngest team he has fielded, with his smallest lines, yet they haven't missed a beat.  Dancy and Armstrong are the two best offensive and defensive players in the state, but got nothing.  Now Carpenter.  This is a travesty, and a sham, and a mockery.
Coach Horstkamp was going to win it last year , "IF" not for a .09 second Hail Merry pass that gave the award to Coach Carpenter ... "IF" he had won last year then he would not be on this years list and Carpenter would  :)  ... actually I don't believe Coach Horstkamp even cares about winning an award ... he'd rather his team does well  8)                                         Dancy and Armstrong are Juniors I believe , they will have to wait until next year , Hootens awards are for Seniors :)

BrianfromCarlisle

Deron Ricks is the best offensive player in the state this year

amehr36

Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle on December 12, 2013, 10:50:45 pm
Deron Ricks is the best offensive player in the state this year

We'll get to see him test that title tomorrow...

BrianfromCarlisle

Dragon I

Running through arm tackles of weaker opponents does not equal best offensive player.

BrianfromCarlisle

Oh dear Lord. That's what it was.

THA TRUTH

Lets not kid around here the best offensive player will be at memorial stadium tonight jaqwis dancy by far

Dragon I

Show me his numbers in the big games against the best competition the last two seasons.  Not against cream puffs.

BrianfromCarlisle

Why don't you just go watch HUDL?  They are all there. 

skydiver

If you guys don't quit arguing about who's better, I'm gonna have to make ya'll work the concession stand at the game tonight.  lol   I have seen both on film and BOTH are very good.  Dancy has incredible hips and speed while Ricks is more of an Earl Campbell type runner.  It's like comparing apples to oranges.  Can we just agree that both are great ballplayers and watch the game instead of selling popcorn.  Good luck to both of your teams tonight. 

BrianfromCarlisle

My point is simply that Derons numbers this year should put him as the offensive player of the year.   

skydiver

Being that it is a SENIOR award, I agree.  If it were not just a SENIOR award, there would be some argument to that.  I agree that Ricks deserves the award.  Let me throw this name out there for you for future reference.  He is a sophomore now and will be talked about a lot in the next couple of years.  Trendin McKinney at Dierks.  IF he continues to progress, he will be the best rb in the state his Senior year.  That is IF he continues to improve.

Dragon I

If that's the case, give the Heisman to the QB from Northern Illinois.  Never mind the fact that he played a bunch of nobodys, and in the biggest game of the year he was a non factor.  Sounds like a great idea. 

skydiver

D1- IT"S  A  SENIOR  AWARD.   DANCY IS A JUNIOR.  DANCY IS NOT ELIGIBLE FOR THE AWARD.  DANCY WILL BE ELIGIBLE NEXT YEAR.  RICKS IS A SENIOR.  RICKS IS ELIGIBLE.  C'mon man.  To say that Ricks hasn't played anyone is pitiful.  DesArc and Hazen are both good teams.  And by the way, this is not the Heisman Trophy.  That's a college award.  This is a high school award.  Sorry man but this is as clear as I can put it.  You are gonna be bagging corn if this continues.  lol

Dragon I

I don't even think he is the best senior.  I've watched the film, and seen guys in person.  In the big games, against quality competition, show me what he did.  The QB from Gurdon put up better numbers against the cream puffs he played, did quite well against Bearden and Prescott, and had the most yards rushing against JC's starting D in a while.  To this point he has been more impressive.

THA TRUTH

I've seen both players and dancy is the best by far he has 1200 in 7 games when he played the best conference in 2a but also in the biggest games he put up major stats he is not just speed and quickness he is actually a very strong runner I agree ricks is also very talented and deserves the offensive award but dancy is the better ball player

BrianfromCarlisle

Quote from: Dragon I on December 13, 2013, 09:18:26 am
I don't even think he is the best senior.  I've watched the film, and seen guys in person.  In the big games, against quality competition, show me what he did.  The QB from Gurdon put up better numbers against the cream puffs he played, did quite well against Bearden and Prescott, and had the most yards rushing against JC's starting D in a while.  To this point he has been more impressive.
once again,  go on HUDL and watch every game.  They are there.  But, as usual, you are going to argue the point like an 8 year old.  So, whatever man.  You are obviously right.  He is not worthy at all.  He didn't do anything against Rison either.  LOL

WOW

THA TRUTH

I'd hope he could do something he is as big as most lineman in 2a

BrianfromCarlisle

Quote from: THA TRUTH on December 13, 2013, 10:32:12 am
I'd hope he could do something he is as big as most lineman in 2a
Well that helps. LOL. So does his speed once he is in the clear. 

Idoknow

Quote from: Dragon I on December 12, 2013, 10:14:31 pm
Settle down, Coach Carpenter has been around a while and everyone knows he's done a great job with the JC Fb. Program! He's had his share of recognition, so don't be greedy and let some of these younger Coaches get a little "Recongnition".

THA TRUTH

I'm sure it's not bothering him that he isn't a finalist

Dragon I

Say what you want, I know exactly how competitive the coaching staff at JC is.  Is he upset? Probably not.  Out to prove a point now?  Probably so.  That fire to dominate inside Coach Carpenter, is the same fire that is put inside those kids.  It's a mentality.  People can talk all they want, I'll give any team their due if they beat JC, but I'm a horrible loser, and I know a lot of people just like me.  I blame the JC athletic department.  I was never taught how to lose, or how to deal with it, and I like it that way.

THA TRUTH

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: HF on December 12, 2013, 09:20:41 pm
Quote from: amehr36 on December 12, 2013, 09:14:24 pm
Id go with the Hector coach.

Putting my homerism a side...I would to just because of how fast he's turned it around here. The 2 seasons before Taylor came to Hector, we struggled to field a team..and was 1-19 in the 2A-5, now 2 years later we have 30+ players and 17-7 in his time here.

I agree.   Clearly to me the case where one coach has had the greatest positive impact on a program recently.

bdubyab60

JC was expected to do what they have done this year. While Carpenter is the best coach in 2A the other coaches did things that weren't expected this year.

This is a Hootens award and Carpenters award will more than likely come at WMS. Ask Carpenter which one he would rather have.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

I think Prescott wrapped it up tonight.

EAGLE PRIDE!

bigworm

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on December 13, 2013, 09:18:18 pm
I think Prescott wrapped it up tonight.

EAGLE PRIDE!

Prescott gets my vote.

cuz

Quote from: bdubyab60 on December 13, 2013, 08:18:41 pm
JC was expected to do what they have done this year. While Carpenter is the best coach in 2A the other coaches did things that weren't expected this year.

This is a Hootens award and Carpenters award will more than likely come at WMS. Ask Carpenter which one he would rather have.
Carpenter is all about the kids not self gratification.....

helmethair

Quote from: skydiver on December 13, 2013, 08:41:59 am
Being that it is a SENIOR award, I agree.  If it were not just a SENIOR award, there would be some argument to that.  I agree that Ricks deserves the award.  Let me throw this name out there for you for future reference.  He is a sophomore now and will be talked about a lot in the next couple of years.  Trendin McKinney at Dierks.  IF he continues to progress, he will be the best rb in the state his Senior year.  That is IF he continues to improve.
That is some funny stuff there.  Best RB in the state?  Kid runs around a 5.0 forty

BrianfromCarlisle

I can tell you put WAY too much emphasis on times.

helmethair

Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle on April 02, 2014, 12:47:29 pm
I can tell you put WAY too much emphasis on times.
You are pretty clueless man.  If a kid runs a 5.0 or 4.9 there is no way possible he is the best running back in the state.  Ive seen the kid.  More like a fullback type anyway

BrianfromCarlisle

I'm not saying he is or isn't. Haven't seen him play. But you sure can be the best at those speeds. It's about production. Not speed.  RBs need to be quick more than fast.  And that is Dancy from Junction City.  True, he is fast.  But he is quick to the spot.  That is what's more important.   You are the clueless one my friend.  You are making me laugh.  Keep em comin.

helmethair

I agree quicker is more important than fast.  However, there is no times out there for quickness for high school athletes.  Thats why you can look at either 100 meters or long jump to see their explosiveness. 

BrianfromCarlisle

or, watch them play.  100meters is not explosive.  take a 20 time if you want explosiveness

helmethair

Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle on April 02, 2014, 01:26:25 pm
or, watch them play.  100meters is not explosive.  take a 20 time if you want explosiveness
My point exactly.  They dont have 20 meter times I can look at on the internet.  100 meter times are all over the place

BrianfromCarlisle

not if they don't run track.  Go watch the film on HUDL.  you'll see all you need to see

Lions84

helmethair

Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle on April 02, 2014, 02:08:08 pm
not if they don't run track.  Go watch the film on HUDL.  you'll see all you need to see
I tried, couldnt find it.  Got a link?

BrianfromCarlisle

mrscoach

Quote from: HF on December 12, 2013, 09:02:36 pm
Mark Taylor--Hector
Ernie Horstkamp--Bearden
Dustin Prescott--Des Arc

Don't know when the all-star rosters will be released but same article said that our RB Gus Nichols will play on the West All-Star team. First guy from Hector to play in the All-Star game since 1995 I believe...
HF, I know that Zach Watson and Coy Nance played in the 2000 AS game but I think their may have been another while Coach Rust was Head Coach.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: mrscoach on April 04, 2014, 07:39:12 am
Quote from: HF on December 12, 2013, 09:02:36 pm
Mark Taylor--Hector
Ernie Horstkamp--Bearden
Dustin Prescott--Des Arc

HF, I know that Zach Watson and Coy Nance played in the 2000 AS game but I think their may have been another while Coach Rust was Head Coach.

Don't know why I didn't know that....

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas