• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Way too Early 4A Basketball Top 10 Boys and Girls

Started by pridgehog, August 25, 2016, 01:43:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pridgehog

August 25, 2016, 01:43:33 pm Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 03:44:15 pm by pridgehog
Anyone want to take a stab at it?

Bigtimebasketballfan

Boys has to be Baptist at the top. Pea ridge probably next closest to them. After that geez its wide open. Riverview, westside, Gosnell, Monticello, and Batesville Southside could be a dark horse. Great jr high group finally in high school and I've heard a couple quality move ins courtesy of bad boy mowers

Ole Legend

I agree with Bigtime. Baptist and Pea Ridge will be at the top. I would imagine that Monticello and Riverview will also be at the top.

beach bum

Huntsville will be a top 10 team... never count the boys from the hollers of Madison County out.

Bigtimebasketballfan

No doubt beach bum. Huntsville solid team every year.

BigMan15

I could see Baptist, Pea Ridge, Monticello, Riverview, Ozark, and Maumelle

Ole Legend

Quote from: BigMan15 on August 26, 2016, 10:06:27 am

I don't know much about Ozark. I thought they had a few guys from last year graduate?

NWA Hawg

Quote from: BigMan15 on August 26, 2016, 10:06:27 am

Isn't Maumelle 5a?

BigMan15

Ghs21

Gosnell should be in the top 5, very good group this year, a bunch coming back and a good Jr high.

Boarhawg

Monticello vs. Pea Ridge on January 14th at  Baptist Prep.

Ole Legend

Quote from: Boarhawg on August 27, 2016, 04:06:07 pm

This will be one of the best games to watch during the regular season this year!

whatshisname

What about the girls side? Who are the state contenders?

Ghs21

Ghs21

Does anyone know who the teams in this years NEA Tournament are

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: Ghs21 on September 06, 2016, 06:04:29 pm
Does anyone know who the team
s in this years NEA Tournament are

I heard  Brookland Boys and Girls will  be there this year

Ghs21

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on September 06, 2016, 07:47:10 pm
I heard  Brookland Boys and Girls will  be there this year
I know Gosnell will be there, along with nettleton, valley view, Osceola Manila not sure who else

biglion1985

I heard that after last year manila was trying to look around for other tournaments

pridgehog

According To Nick Mason, The Forecast For Baptist Prep repeating as 4A State Champs is 100% barring injury! So nobody else even needs to play I guess...

beach bum

Quote from: pridgehog on September 19, 2016, 12:58:01 pm
According To Nick Mason, The Forecast For Baptist Prep repeating as 4A State Champs is 100% barring injury! So nobody else even needs to play I guess...

I would agree with that statement...

pridgehog

Ole Legend

Quote from: pridgehog on September 19, 2016, 12:58:01 pm

I disagree. From what I've seen the big kid is kinda soft when he is around the rim. He would much rather sit outside and shoot 3's. The guard is pretty good, but not great.

WPWells

pridgehog

Quote from: Fred Bird on September 20, 2016, 02:37:06 pm
Yes
They lost a ton of quality players from last years team. Brandon Vanover was impossible to guard around the basket and the twins were very solid guards. I'll admit that after Conner and Isaac, I don't know a ton about them. I think they will be right there and the State Title will have to go thru them but I could never say 100% about any team anymore. I would have said that about Fayetteville last year and I so I learned my lesson...

beach bum

September 20, 2016, 03:36:08 pm #24 Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 03:39:50 pm by beach bum
Quote from: Ole Legend on September 20, 2016, 01:08:23 pm
I disagree. From what I've seen the big kid is kinda soft when he is around the rim. He would much rather sit outside and shoot 3's. The guard is pretty good, but not great.

"Pretty good" as a 9th grader tends to mean he will be a stud as a 10th grader if you are talking about that super quick guard who also plays lock down defense. And on the other hand about the big guy if you are 10 inches taller than the next closest player on the other team does it matter if they are soft if you can't even block the shot even jumping for it?

pridgehog

Quote from: beach bum on September 20, 2016, 03:36:08 pm
"Pretty good" as a 9th grader tends to mean he will be a stud as a 10th grader if you are talking about that super quick guard who also plays lock down defense. And on the other hand about the big guy if you are 10 inches taller than the next closest player on the other team does it matter if they are soft if you can't even block the shot even jumping for it?
Hard to believe that Monticello beat them two years ago. 

Ole Legend

Quote from: beach bum on September 20, 2016, 03:36:08 pm

I assure you there are plenty of players in the state that can keep the big guy pushed away from the rim. If you make him catch it outside it lessens his effectiveness.

woopig123

Quote from: Ole Legend on September 20, 2016, 10:43:06 pm
I assure you there are plenty of players in the state that can keep the big guy pushed away from the rim. If you make him catch it outside it lessens his effectiveness.

It does not lessen his effectiveness if he can still shoot outside

pridgehog

Quote from: woopig123 on September 21, 2016, 12:25:38 pm
It does not lessen his effectiveness if he can still shoot outside
Yes, Conner's weakness is not shooting from outside, they prefer him to do so.

beach bum

The one thing about that big guy for Baptist that I was impressed more than anything the one time I have seen him play is how good of shape he is in for someone that tall. He played all but 1 or 2 minutes the one time I have seen Baptist play. They were even playing a team trying to play up and down basketball and wear the bigs out and it did not work. Its pretty simple physics that it is much harder for a human that tall to continue moving for a long period of time compared to a 5'10" and 155 pound. kid. I left that game realizing how much work he must put in how well he is in shape for being a big guy. He finished with both hands very comfortably and steps out. His physical fitness along with his size and skill is why I left that game realizing he would translate to college ball very well.

pridgehog

Quote from: beach bum on September 21, 2016, 02:58:21 pm
The one thing about that big guy for Baptist that I was impressed more than anything the one time I have seen him play is how good of shape he is in for someone that tall. He played all but 1 or 2 minutes the one time I have seen Baptist play. They were even playing a team trying to play up and down basketball and wear the bigs out and it did not work. Its pretty simple physics that it is much harder for a human that tall to continue moving for a long period of time compared to a 5'10" and 155 pound. kid. I left that game realizing how much work he must put in how well he is in shape for being a big guy. He finished with both hands very comfortably and steps out. His physical fitness along with his size and skill is why I left that game realizing he would translate to college ball very well.
I agree with everything except his game translating into College. His thin and frail frame makes it very difficult for him to bang with guys that are big and strong. He got pushed around all summer in AAU and what I could see happening is he could be the next coming of Hunter Mickleson. Hunter got to college and they put 40 pounds on him and then all of the sudden he couldn't move very well. I think he will have a ton of trouble at the D1 level. He can dominate 6 foot 2 white kids all day though.

LRRandy

Quote from: Ole Legend on September 20, 2016, 10:43:06 pm
but none of them play in 4a. I've seen a few practices. I don't see how anyone comes close to beating them this year. I hadn't seen Isaac over the summer and he has grown  in height and filled out ( read added muscle). The line for second place in 4a starts behind Baptist Prep.

LRRandy

Quote from: Boarhawg on August 27, 2016, 04:06:07 pm
there are several good games that day. Baptist Prep plays El Dorado.

Trojanball24

pridgehog

Quote from: LRRandy on September 29, 2016, 09:23:54 pm
but none of them play in 4a. I've seen a few practices. I don't see how anyone comes close to beating them this year. I hadn't seen Isaac over the summer and he has grown  in height and filled out ( read added muscle). The line for second place in 4a starts behind Baptist Prep.
In the Dictionary by the term big fish in a small pond, there is a picture of 7'3 Conner Vanover playing 4 A basketball.

pridgehog

Quote from: Trojanball24 on September 30, 2016, 09:02:39 am
PEA RIDGE is loaded
This team will have something to say about a State Championship, don't crown Baptist just yet folks.  All 5 Starters can score 20 plus a night. All 5 Starters are returning All Conference players. Pea Ridge shoots the ball from Deep possibly better than anyone in the State. 

LRRandy

Quote from: pridgehog on September 30, 2016, 10:10:59 am
In the Dictionary by the term big fish in a small pond, there is a picture of 7'3 Conner Vanover playing 4 A basketball.
is he wearing the state championship ring in the picture?

LRRandy

Quote from: pridgehog on September 30, 2016, 10:20:01 am
This team will have something to say about a State Championship, don't crown Baptist just yet folks.  All 5 Starters can score 20 plus a night. All 5 Starters are returning All Conference players. Pea Ridge shoots the ball from Deep possibly better than anyone in the State.
maybe then they can make it out of regionals in this small pond.

pridgehog

September 30, 2016, 10:26:19 am #38 Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 10:28:02 am by pridgehog
Quote from: LRRandy on September 30, 2016, 10:23:03 am
is he wearing the state championship ring in the picture?
Good One!

pridgehog

Quote from: LRRandy on September 30, 2016, 10:24:44 am
maybe then they can make it out of regionals in this small pond.
We definitely didn't have two 7 footers playing on our 4A team last year, that's for sure... 

LRRandy

Quote from: pridgehog on September 30, 2016, 10:27:14 am
We definitely didn't have two 7 footers playing on our 4A team last year, that's for sure...
it is a long season. A lot can happen. Having to play 3a schools isn't exactly iron sharpening iron. Baptist is going to be very strong. They will actually be more athletic and quicker along the front line. The trade off is not having a dominant back to the basket player ( Brandon will be missed ). Isaac is as tough a matchup as Connor is and the point guard that will start in place of Cory is very quick and distributes the ball very well. Bring your best game. That's what it will take.

pridgehog

Quote from: LRRandy on September 30, 2016, 10:37:01 am
it is a long season. A lot can happen. Having to play 3a schools isn't exactly iron sharpening iron. Baptist is going to be very strong. They will actually be more athletic and quicker along the front line. The trade off is not having a dominant back to the basket player ( Brandon will be missed ). Isaac is as tough a matchup as Connor is and the point guard that will start in place of Cory is very quick and distributes the ball very well. Bring your best game. That's what it will take.
I pray for the health of all the kids on all of the teams. Hopefully we can meet up in the finals but I bet a ton of teams also feel like they will be good enough to make some noise as well... 1 bad game or an injury can get your butt beat. We know that.

Gray lizard

Quote from: pridgehog on September 22, 2016, 10:23:51 am
I agree with everything except his game translating into College. His thin and frail frame makes it very difficult for him to bang with guys that are big and strong. He got pushed around all summer in AAU and what I could see happening is he could be the next coming of Hunter Mickleson. Hunter got to college and they put 40 pounds on him and then all of the sudden he couldn't move very well. I think he will have a ton of trouble at the D1 level. He can dominate 6 foot 2 white kids all day though.
My exact thoughts.  I watched him play 3 or 4 times last year.

beach bum

If he won't be any good at the next level why can't any of your teams seem to stop him? Shouldn't be that difficult then....

Bigtimebasketballfan

Probably because at the next level he will matchup with 6'10 athletes and not a bunch of 6'2 post players who have no shot of playing division 1 basketball

beach bum

Quote from: Bigtimebasketballfan on October 05, 2016, 09:49:39 pm
Probably because at the next level he will matchup with 6'10 athletes and not a bunch of 6'2 post players who have no shot of playing division 1 basketball

Can't that same argument be used against those 6'10" players you speak of? Why only this player? Wouldn't those 6'10" players just be playing a bunch of 6'2" post players too? I need a better argument than that because your argument can be used for 95% of big men in high school. They all play against smaller competition. Doesn't this make your teams look even worse if you can't beat Baptist?

Bigtimebasketballfan

I don't have a dog in the fight so this is an unbiased point of view. Just realize in other parts of the country teams have multiple guys 6'6 to 6'10. And they play a much higher level of competition than most of the 4a conferences throw at him on a nightly basis. I hope the kid goes on to do great things and represent the state well. He should pay close attention to the schools style of play and go somewhere he fits. If Mickelson had gone to ASU I think he had all conference potential. Instead he went with the big name program and didn't fit in. Then to Kansas where he struggled to find playing time as the season progressed. Conner will have a very good high school career. Probably finish with 3 state championships. I hope good health for him and he relies on God when making his college decision and end up in a place where he fits in and excels.

Ole Legend

Quote from: beach bum on October 05, 2016, 09:13:17 pm
If he won't be any good at the next level why can't any of your teams seem to stop him? Shouldn't be that difficult then....

Let's see him go up against Gafford from El Dorado.

LRRandy

Bulldog92

Quote from: whatshisname on September 06, 2016, 02:32:44 pm
What about the girls side? Who are the state contenders?
I believe it will be the same top teams as last year, minus Riverview.  Star City, CAC, Brookland, Prairie Grove.  Could be wrong but I don't think any of these teams lost many of their players.  Out of SC's top 6 they lost 2 girls and I feel like they will compete for State.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas