• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1-3A Week 6

Started by beach bum, September 29, 2018, 09:18:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

beach bum

September 29, 2018, 09:18:50 pm Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 09:20:41 pm by beach bum
Went on a hiatus... Bringing it back!

Charleston 28 Mansfield 26- This should be a great game. I am going against what I should because my gut is leaning Mansfield. Charleston really needs to clean up the penalties and turnovers if they want to finish into the 2 or 3 spot in this conference. They'll have to win out besides the Booneville game to have a chance at that. Mansfield has been one of the best surprise stories in the state this year, and if they win here I think everyone will finally fully take notice. I think Charleston cleans it up some and takes this one by the smallest margin.

Booneville 50 Greenland 13- Greenland is not that bad, Booneville is just that good. Greenland has a solid offense, but their defense is up and down. Booneville's physical play will negate Greenland's running game.

Cedarville 42 Paris 20- Cedarville is in the same boat as Charleston as Cedarville  has had no problems moving the ball between the 20 yard lines except when they played Lamar. They just can not seem to hold on to the ball. Paris has not tasted a win, and Cedarville has been much more competitive in their games so I will go with the Pirates semi comfortably

Lamar 42 West Fork 6- Lamar could win this by more if they wanted. Lamar gets to 3-0 in conference before they run the 4 game gauntlet they will encounter after this game. We'll know then if Lamar is truly the 2nd best team in the conference. My gut tells me Lamar is going to get the 2 or 3 seed in this conference when its all said and done

xadboy

Can't wait to see how Mansfield vs Charleston game turns out. Whoever has the ball last may be the winner.

MICHAELSPAPPY

Quote from: beach bum on September 29, 2018, 09:18:50 pm
My gut tells me Lamar is going to get the 2 or 3 seed in this conference when its all said and done

They looked like at least 3rd last Friday. I still don't think they have played their best football.

It is sort of fun even discussing Mansfield and Charleston in a close game. Sometimes in this life the little guy does get up of the floor and KOs the champ, and it is fun when he does.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: MICHAELSPAPPY on September 30, 2018, 04:43:46 pm
Sometimes in this life the little guy does get up of the floor and KOs the champ, and it is fun when he does.
Of course, it doesn't happen very often. But then, it makes it that much sweeter when it does.

Clara Allen

Mansfield/Charleston should be the 3A game of the week.  But since Prescott and Smackover are playing each other, that one will get more attention.

beach bum

September 30, 2018, 07:14:23 pm #5 Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 07:23:12 pm by beach bum
Quote from: MICHAELSPAPPY on September 30, 2018, 04:43:46 pm
They looked like at least 3rd last Friday. I still don't think they have played their best football.

It is sort of fun even discussing Mansfield and Charleston in a close game. Sometimes in this life the little guy does get up of the floor and KOs the champ, and it is fun when he does.

I agree with that definitely. Sometimes that is the biggest bummer with high school football is you have a top team or at most 2 teams in a league with no parity at all. Greenland ended up better than we expected and Mansfield jumped up way more than anyone expected. They were the 7 seed last year and here we are watching them with a legitimate chance to get to 6-0. Will they do that? Who knows.... But it is nice seeing competitive games all the way down to Cedarville who has stayed within 14 points of Lamar and Charleston when they were being mercy ruled by the top half of the league in previous years. It's nice seeing some parity and competitive balance from the 2 through 6 seed in this conference this year. I think that speaks to the coaching in this conference from top to bottom. Even Paris and West Fork have first year coaches who in time should build some morale. The junior high quality in this conference shows its going to stay a solid league for years to come too. It would be nice to see some of these middle of the pack teams continue to elevate their programs to a slightly more competitive level all across the state like we have seen in this conference. It's good for the kids, community, and the fans enjoyment of more competitive games.

MICHAELSPAPPY

Instead of getting sorted out, it looks like things are getting unsorted as we go. Tougher to predict now than it was in Week 1, to me.

MICHAELSPAPPY

Things are getting serious now. There are five teams left with less than two losses. Four of them play each other this week. If the Booneville and Mansfield win, there should start to be a little separation. If they lose, the situation will be even more confused at this point next week.

beach bum

October 03, 2018, 01:21:29 pm #8 Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 01:24:05 pm by beach bum
Quote from: MICHAELSPAPPY on October 03, 2018, 08:24:16 am
Things are getting serious now. There are five teams left with less than two losses. Four of them play each other this week. If the Booneville and Mansfield win, there should start to be a little separation. If they lose, the situation will be even more confused at this point next week.

A Charleston win would more than likely make the standings look like this if I have this correct.... We aren't the players or coaches so its fun for us to look ahead even though I know none of the 8 teams are themselves! I'll assume Lamar, Booneville, and Cedarville win since they are heavy favorites and Cedarville a little bit favored over Paris. The standings would look as such.

1.Booneville 3-0
2.Lamar 3-0
3.Charleston 2-1
4.Mansfield 2-1
5.Greenland 1-2
6.Cedarville 1-2
7.Paris 0-3
8.West Fork 0-3

**** A Mansfield win makes the standings look like we would have never imagined when the season starts with them at 3-0 and Charleston would drop to an unbelievable 1-2 with games still left against Booneville and Lamar. Its crazy to think that this game means more to Charleston at this point cause that would have been unthinkable to even discuss at the beginning of the year cause if they lose to Mansfield it is not out of the question for them to lose to Lamar and Booneville as well to drop them to the 5 seed in this conference at years end. For that reason, I am leaning Charleston in this game. Maybe Mansfield keeps proving the doubters like myself wrong because they are looking for real at this point.

xadboy

Quote from: MICHAELSPAPPY on October 03, 2018, 08:24:16 am
Mansfield vs Charleston should be a good game. But if Charleston wins big it brings up more questions. Has Charleston turned the corner and got it going? Or is Mansfield not the team everyone thought? But if Mansfield wins big it will turn some heads for sure. Can't wait to see how this one turns out.

MICHAELSPAPPY

Quote from: beach bum on October 03, 2018, 01:21:29 pm
if they lose to Mansfield it is not out of the question for them to lose to Lamar and Booneville as well

If Charlie loses to Mansfield, I would say it is very likely they will also lose to Lamar and Booneville.

beach bum

October 03, 2018, 01:28:34 pm #11 Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 01:30:19 pm by beach bum
Quote from: xadboy on October 03, 2018, 01:24:50 pm
Mansfield vs Charleston should be a good game. But if Charleston wins big it brings up more questions. Has Charleston turned the corner and got it going? Or is Mansfield not the team everyone thought? But if Mansfield wins big it will turn some heads for sure. Can't wait to see how this one turns out.

I think if Charleston gets the penalty issues and turnover fiascoes they are having cleaned up they'll be a good team by years end. Of course they have dropped off in talent some, but there is no reason they should have lost to Greenland and let Cedarville hold them to 2 offensive TD's. That makes two weeks in a row they have only put up 12 and 14 points on offense respectively. That is just crazy coming from Charleston. They just need to get that cleaned up and they'll sort it out some. If not it will continue to be a year where their coach must want to pull his hair out by now.

MICHAELSPAPPY

Right now Charlie is not scaring anyone, and all those teams that had to listen to their hype for years have that sticking in their craws, and they will be highly motivated to get back some of their own. A lot of years C has been good enough that they had their bluff in on everyone, but probably not this year. When teams start thinking that they can beat you, they are a big step down the path of doing it. If C mercy-ruled Mansfield, it might get them back into that mode, but this may not be the year they can pull that off.

TRH

Quote from: MICHAELSPAPPY on October 03, 2018, 01:26:25 pm
If Charlie loses to Mansfield, I would say it is very likely they will also lose to Lamar and Booneville.

Mansfield, the Rodney Dangerfield of the 1-3A.  lol

MICHAELSPAPPY

Quote from: TRH on October 03, 2018, 01:49:06 pm
Mansfield, the Rodney Dangerfield of the 1-3A.  lol

This season that is probably right - to this point. But the MTigers have a chance to change that perception and strike a telling blow for Mom, apple pie, and the American Way this Friday night.

TRH

Hooten's takes the Red Tigers by 2.

MICHAELSPAPPY

Quote from: TRH on October 03, 2018, 02:45:43 pm
Hooten's takes the Red Tigers by 2.

That is sort of interesting. Hootens a lot of times goes with habit, but evidently not this time.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas