• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The “book’s” 2018 rankings.....

Started by AirWarren, June 23, 2018, 08:35:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AirWarren

Picked it up at the spring hill big red fina in Bryant....

2018 Hooten's 4A Top 10

Warren
Joe t
Arkadelphia
Pea ridge
Stuttgart
Batesville southside
Gosnell
Ozark
Nashville
Rivercrest

beach bum

When I saw that list I immediately realized the gap between the top 3 and the rest of 4A is massive if the rest of that list is 4-10..... Might as well call the rest of 4A a pillow fight compared to the top 3 teams.

beach bum

Pea Ridge, Batesville Southside, Gosnell, and Rivercrest will not be that highly ranked by the end of the year.

x14113

June 23, 2018, 11:34:07 pm #3 Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 10:52:57 pm by x14113
Comparing this to another top 10:

Rank   HAF                       Calpreps                 AR Varsity             
{1}WarrenRobinsonWarren
{2}RobinsonArkadelphiaRobinson
{3}ArkadelphiaWarrenArkadelphia
{4}Pea RidgeRivercrestStuttgart
{5}StuttgartGosnellPea Ridge
{6}SouthsideStuttgartGosnell
{7}GosnellPrairie GroveSouthside
{8}OzarkAshdownNashville
{9}NashvilleBauxiteOzark
{10}RivercrestSouthsideRivercrest
{XX}Prairie Grove (11)Ozark (11)Ashdown (11)
{XX}Ashdown (12)Nashville (12)Prairie Grove (XX)
{XX}Bauxite (22)Pea Ridge (13)Bauxite (XX)

As you can see, the Golden State is higher on the 7 than even the locals.

bigchief72455

If they said it in Hootens it must be true.

AirWarren

Quote from: bigchief72455 on June 23, 2018, 11:36:10 pm
If they said it in Hootens it must be true.

Regardless. Our good poster Kyle, who now lives in Baton Rouge, will be the first to tell you, that as a state we are fortunate to have a publication that will take the time to highlight every school in the state. I was on the phone with him last night and noted that it's hard to find anything dedicated to local high school football. And he has lived in both north and south Louisiana. From Springdale to hermitage, they create a cool book for our communities. And like them are not, they usually hit the bullseye or at least get close every time.

AirWarren

Of note.

2018 Super Team for 4A

QB- Dawson Dietz. Ozark
RB- Zion Hatley. Arkadelphia.
RB- Cadarius Young. Gosnell.
WR- Treylon Burks. Warren.
WR- Keemontrae McKnight. Warren.
WR- Chad Graham. Elkins.
OL- Zack Lasage, Bauxite, Logan kallesen, Shiloh Christian, tanner pitts, Southside Batesville, Jared Laughlin, Hamburg, Elliot Harris, Joe T Robinson.
DL- David Walker, Stuttgart, Marcus miller, Warren, Gage Price, Hamburg, Zack Williams, Joe T Robinson.
LB- Tristan brewer, Pea ridge.
LB- Jeremy Tharp, Bald knob.
DB- Devon Adams, Pocahontas.
DB- victor tademy, Arkadelphia.
DB- Jordan White, Nashville.
DB- Caden Huskey, Southside Batesville.
DB- Mekel Kentle, Joe T Robinson

bigchief72455

It is nice to have a publication like Hootens. Some of the athletes inside the pages will get some of the only recognition for playing football in their time. But like it was stated earlier, the top 3 are pretty solid and the rest will be a wild west shoot out.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: AirWarren on June 24, 2018, 08:03:37 am
Regardless. Our good poster Kyle, who now lives in Baton Rouge, will be the first to tell you, that as a state we are fortunate to have a publication that will take the time to highlight every school in the state. I was on the phone with him last night and noted that it's hard to find anything dedicated to local high school football. And he has lived in both north and south Louisiana. From Springdale to hermitage, they create a cool book for our communities. And like them are not, they usually hit the bullseye or at least get close every time.

It's easier to sit back and complain about something you take for granted than to realize how hard it is to do what they do...

Coltfan2005

Quote from: HorseFeathers on June 24, 2018, 11:45:12 am
It's easier to sit back and complain about something you take for granted than to realize how hard it is to do what they do...

Hard to do? Spending less than 10 minutes on the phone with the coaches of 70% of the schools not in NW Arkansas and the Little Rock area?

bigchief72455

Not a complaint but they just do not have a grasp of what is going on in some conferences. I rely more on the posters on here who are not drunk on their own kool aid to give a better assessment of teams they see week in and week out. Just my personal opinion. On the whole the posters on FF are a little more solid in that area.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Coltfan2005 on June 24, 2018, 01:25:24 pm
Hard to do? Spending less than 10 minutes on the phone with the coaches of 70% of the schools not in NW Arkansas and the Little Rock area?

You can do better? I mean fearlessfriday and vype tried...didn't charge a dime...and where they at now?

SUGARTOWN

Seems like I say this every year to all of you folks complaining about Hooten's top 10. How about you post your own and let us discuss it?

bigchief72455

Ozark JV
Nashville JV
PA(so good they compete in every class)
Every team in the 3-4A
Now discuss away.

JessieP

Hootens is a fun magazine. They do a lot for Arkansas football. It's a great way for kids to get their name in print and they do have a pretty good understanding of the states high school teams. Having said that, let me say this...I wouldn't run out and bet the mortgage or the kids college fund on their projections. All these sites, Hootens, Maxpreps, Cal Preps and AP base 90% of their information on what the teams coaches tell them. I find it hard to believe that many coaches tell them "Oh yeah, we're gonna suck this year. Our qb runs a 6.0 40 and our offensive line gets their lunch money taken daily by the robotics club". Take high school rankings with a 15lb grain of salt.

Lumberjackfan1978

I pick up a copy every year I really enjoy reading it and getting their take on all the teams. I think they do a pretty good job at what they do.

bulldoghistorian

What do they have to say about the 8-4A?

prHOG13

June 25, 2018, 12:05:02 am #17 Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 08:12:42 pm by prHOG13
Quote from: beach bum on June 23, 2018, 09:47:49 pm
Pea Ridge, Batesville Southside, Gosnell, and Rivercrest will not be that highly ranked by the end of the year.
Our defense will be very very good and think it'll be the best one we've ever had

AirWarren

Quote from: bulldoghistorian on June 24, 2018, 09:18:38 pm
What do they have to say about the 8-4A?

Warren
Hamburg
Dumas
Monticello
Crossett
Helena
Star city
Dewitt

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: x14113 on June 23, 2018, 11:34:07 pm
Comparing this to another top 10:

Rank   HAF                       Calpreps
{1}WarrenRobinson
{2}RobinsonArkadelphia
{3}ArkadelphiaWarren
{4}Pea RidgeRivercrest
{5}StuttgartGosnell
{6}SouthsideStuttgart
{7}GosnellPrairie Grove
{8}OzarkAshdown
{9}NashvilleBauxite
{10}RivercrestSouthside
{XX}Prairie Grove (??)Ozark (11)
{XX}Ashdown (??)Nashville (12)
{XX}Bauxite (??)Pea Ridge (13)

As you can see, the Golden State is higher on the 7 than even the locals.

How in the heck is Bauxite in the Top 13? This is a joke right?

AirWarren

Quote from: Mulerider4Life on June 25, 2018, 09:09:56 am

Bauxite has gone from dressing out 23 players 2 years ago to now dressing out 78.

While, I'm in no way saying they should be in top 10.....I wouldn't sleep on them or DP.

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: AirWarren on June 25, 2018, 09:31:13 am
Bauxite has gone from dressing out 23 players 2 years ago to now dressing out 78.

While, I'm in no way saying they should be in top 10.....I wouldn't sleep on them or DP.

Yeah, but you can have 78 crappy players. Not sleeping on them, just haven't seen anything special. Just because you have good coaches, doesn't always equal good talent. Many of those 78 are scrubs from Benton and Bryant.

AirWarren

June 25, 2018, 09:55:38 am #22 Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 09:58:47 am by AirWarren
Quote from: Mulerider4Life on June 25, 2018, 09:42:18 am
Yeah, but you can have 78 crappy players. Not sleeping on them, just haven't seen anything special. Just because you have good coaches, doesn't always equal good talent. Many of those 78 are scrubs from Benton and Bryant.

Trust me. I can name A couple teams in 4a that have big sideline numbers but not quality on the field.

Like I said, it's yet to be proven over there. But they are doing something right to get 55 extra bodies on the field. 

And, I know any town in 4A ball would take several "scrubs" that can play football from a 6A or 7a school haha.

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: AirWarren on June 25, 2018, 09:55:38 am
Trust me. I can name A couple teams in 4a that have big sideline numbers but not quality on the field.

Like I said, it's yet to be proven over there. But they are doing something right to get 55 extra bodies on the field. 

And, I know any town in 4A ball would take several "scrubs" that can play football from a 6A or 7a school haha.

Right, That's how Haskell Harmony Grove has been ok. No talent in Haskell, but they will gladly take the second string from Benton.

x14113

A) IDK where HAF has the Miners. (Hence the "??" in parentheses.) They're only listed 13 on that particular list ATM because Calpreps has them 9th.

B) It turns out Bauxite loses only one starter on each side of the ball. Such retention is usually rewarded, but we shall see.

bulldoghistorian

Quote from: AirWarren on June 25, 2018, 08:00:04 am
Warren
Hamburg
Dumas
Monticello
Crossett
Helena
Star city
Dewitt
That's about what I expected.

AirWarren

Quote from: x14113 on June 25, 2018, 11:41:43 am
A) IDK where HAF has the Miners. (Hence the "??" in parentheses.) They're only listed 13 on that particular list ATM because Calpreps has them 9th.

B) It turns out Bauxite loses only one starter on each side of the ball. Such retention is usually rewarded, but we shall see.

Such retention and 55 more bodies.

They may go 5-5....who knows. Or 0-10. But there is some veteran folks that took a beating last year. A few more talented players plugged in here and there can make a difference.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: AirWarren on June 25, 2018, 12:37:42 pm
Such retention and 55 more bodies.

They may go 5-5....who knows. Or 0-10. But there is some veteran folks that took a beating last year. A few more talented players plugged in here and there can make a difference.
My prediction is 3rd or so in conference then win a couple in the playoffs.

AirWarren

Quote from: Oldman on June 25, 2018, 01:18:45 pm
My prediction is 3rd or so in conference then win a couple in the playoffs.

Mulerider4Life

AirWarren

I am just going to go ahead and say it. Summer is usually boring as all heck.....BUT.....

1. Those HOGS are about to play for a national title! And the CWS has been exciting....and let me say this....I do not like baseball...but it has been fun this year.
2. The World Cup is going on and man have there been some exciting matches.
3. Hootens is out....which means High school football is right around the corner.

Romeo

Monticello might finish better than fourth. They actually have a coach now.

AirWarren

Quote from: Romeo on June 25, 2018, 03:02:43 pm
Monticello might finish better than fourth. They actually have a coach now.

Time will tell.

No reason they shouldn't.

Jimbo Morphis

AirWarren

bigchief72455

I predict Pocahontas will do better than predicted. They have a very good team this year. That top 3 to 5 is going to be hard to crack though.

Razorhummer

Quote from: beach bum on June 23, 2018, 09:47:49 pm
Southside Batesville is loaded. The Southerners will get tested first game of the season for sure. I only see them maybe losing 2 games this season to Warren and Stuttgart. Don't know much about Pea Ridge. As for Gosnell and Rivercrest, don't count out these teams from Mississippi County.

Mulerider4Life

The question is how good will Warren be? 2nd question, can Arkadephia repeat last year's success? 3rd would be who is the dark horse this year that is flying under the radar ready to strike and win a state championship?

Gray lizard

I would expect with 78 bodies and much improved coaching from what I have heard on here.  They will be able to field a good team. We will see, but I would expect them to be very improved.

AirWarren

Quote from: Mulerider4Life on June 26, 2018, 07:41:11 am
The question is how good will Warren be? 2nd question, can Arkadephia repeat last year's success? 3rd would be who is the dark horse this year that is flying under the radar ready to strike and win a state championship?

Lucky to field a team I hear.

They bought a lot of ad pages from hootens to get more pictures and higher ranking.

beach bum

If they are so good then why pad your non conference with two 2A schools and another smaller classification? Don't get me wrong Glen Rose is a good 3A school and so are Des Arc and Conway Christian in the 2A ranks. However, most teams that are top 10 in 4A or close don't schedule down like that in non conference. They will start between 5-2 and 7-0 based upon that portion of their schedule being so soft then will get mercy ruled in their last 3 games easily. The only way they even start 7-0 is they win every miracle close game they are in like like last year.  They still won't be close to a contender state wide. 4th-6th is where they will land in the 7-4A probably. This is still a 5-5 or 6-4 team imo and with a better non conference slate I am not sure this would be a .500 overall team.

beach bum

Coaches know what the talent they have to work with and know what they are doing scheduling based upon the non conference opponents they play. Him scheduling two 2A schools and a 3A school tells me he still sees his own program in building mode and needed "confidence booster" games for his team and players. There isn't anything wrong with that when trying to get kids at a doormat program the taste of winning so it builds morale for the future. It's actually smart of them. Just the way I see it. This team is going to be improved but not as much as some see it.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: beach bum on June 26, 2018, 09:41:05 am
Coaches know what the talent they have to work with and know what they are doing scheduling based upon the non conference opponents they play. Him scheduling two 2A schools and a 3A school tells me he still sees his own program in building mode and needed "confidence booster" games for his team and players. There isn't anything wrong with that when trying to get kids at a doormat program the taste of winning so it builds morale for the future. It's actually smart of them. Just the way I see it. This team is going to be improved but not as much as some see it.
It also could have been set for a couple of years when they had 30 players and didn't want them beat up before conference started.

AirWarren

Quote from: Oldman on June 26, 2018, 10:34:16 am
It also could have been set for a couple of years when they had 30 players and didn't want them beat up before conference started.

Excellent point.

Not sure about Des Arc, but Conway Christian is probably something they have had set up for a while. I believe Des Arc was an old 2A rival as well.

As far as Glen rose, they are a Bauxite Miners rival. My wife doesn't care about high school sports anymore...unlike me....but I can still garnish an eye roll or a gag when the name Glen Rose is mentioned.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: AirWarren on June 26, 2018, 10:51:30 am
Excellent point.

Not sure about Des Arc, but Conway Christian is probably something they have had set up for a while. I believe Des Arc was an old 2A rival as well.

As far as Glen rose, they are a Bauxite Miners rival. My wife doesn't care about high school sports anymore...unlike me....but I can still garnish an eye roll or a gag when the name Glen Rose is mentioned.
They should play every year. Cheap trip and a huge gate.

AirWarren

Quote from: Oldman on June 26, 2018, 11:00:04 am
They should play every year. Cheap trip and a huge gate.

Agreed.

The Bauxite vs Haskell game is also big gate. We went last year and they had to turn folks away.

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: AirWarren on June 26, 2018, 11:01:36 am
Agreed.

The Bauxite vs Haskell game is also big gate. We went last year and they had to turn folks away.

They should look at playing at CW Lewis Stadium in Benton as a neutral site game every year, or possibly War Memorial?

AirWarren

Quote from: Mulerider4Life on June 26, 2018, 11:42:42 am
They should look at playing at CW Lewis Stadium in Benton as a neutral site game every year, or possibly War Memorial?

CW Lewis is old and in bad shape. I wouldn't that game there.

War memorial. Maybe.

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: AirWarren on June 26, 2018, 11:44:21 am
CW Lewis is old and in bad shape. I wouldn't that game there.

War memorial. Maybe.

Well, but they are raising money to re purpose CW Lewis. I just think with attendance of the Bauxite & Harmony Grove game being at least like 4,000 or something, you have to find a bigger venue.

x14113

Referring back to this in light of newly-acquired info:

HAF does not have the Miners in the Top 13. In fact, they're barely in the top half of that particular ranking.

(FWIW, the coaches have them 5th in the 7, so...)

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas