• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gentry is Open

Started by Brian G, December 21, 2014, 09:55:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

Brian Little resigned but will stay on as AD and Dean of Students.

x14113

The Pioneers have been pretty defiant in making two straight playoff trips. Let's see if Little knows of anyone than take the program up a notch.

always88

Can't see anyone wanting to work under the former coach! Something any candidates will need to carefully consider.

Lionfan

Don't really see it as a very attractive place to be

beach bum

Quote from: always88 on December 21, 2014, 10:25:32 pm
Can't see anyone wanting to work under the former coach! Something any candidates will need to carefully consider.

I have heard he isn't exactly the most pleasant person to work for and kind of arrogant... I don't like to bash someone like that but that's just what I have heard. I don't know why, he has never won a playoff game at Gentry to be that arrogant though.

rona

Quote from: beach bum on December 22, 2014, 12:19:37 pm
Quote from: always88 on December 21, 2014, 10:25:32 pm

I have heard he isn't exactly the most pleasant person to work for and kind of arrogant... I don't like to bash someone like that but that's just what I have heard. I don't know why, he has never won a playoff game at Gentry to be that arrogant though.

Correct. Unfortunately, just an arrogant guy!

IPROFB

The problem with Gentry toward the end of the year was numbers.  They improved throughout the season but it seems to have been a tough year for the Pioneers. Will they promote from within or open up the search?

Brian G

Hiring difficulty??

only 210 day contract
relatively small stipend
Old HC as direct boss
Most asst's in NWA make more than this HC will make

whippersnapper

Considering the guy with a losing record is now full time AD I wouldn't think Gentry is ready to make a huge step towards a competitive program. I know I remember reading an article about Gentry getting some facility upgrades. If they were to hire the right guy maybe they could win. Who would've thought Lincoln would've done what they did when Harris was there?

Tigerdad2

27-55 I believe is his record

The Coach

The right hire could do something possibly as bad as the 1-4A is

WalterWhite

They have (or did have last time I checked) an asst who was born and raised a scrapper, so I mean clearly there's your best hire right there.

always88

When hiring from within the program, you run the risk of keeping the same program intact and nothing changes, especially if the prospective hire has been in the program for any length of time under the outgoing coach. And in this situation especially, when the outgoing coach will be the direct boss of the incoming coach.

beach bum

Quote from: IPROFB on December 22, 2014, 02:30:32 pm
The problem with Gentry toward the end of the year was numbers.  They improved throughout the season but it seems to have been a tough year for the Pioneers. Will they promote from within or open up the search?

The numbers were low because no one wanted to play for Little. If you don't have respect from the kids that is what happens. Kids can read right through people and tell if they really care about them or not. Kids for the most part want to work hard. But, not when you know your coach doesn't respect you. Life is a 2 way street... Well, not for some.

IPROFB

Quote from: beach bum on December 23, 2014, 11:42:13 am
Quote from: IPROFB on December 22, 2014, 02:30:32 pm

The numbers were low because no one wanted to play for Little. If you don't have respect from the kids that is what happens. Kids can read right through people and tell if they really care about them or not. Kids for the most part want to work hard. But, not when you know your coach doesn't respect you. Life is a 2 way street... Well, not for some.

It does seem odd that he is still the A.D. because if they wanted to hire a quote: "Big Name Coach" they would add the title and compensation of A.D. to bring in bigger fish.  I bet they hire from within.

replacementplaya

sad to say, but as long as Little is still at Gentry, all of the athletic teams will continue to struggle, especially football.  He isn't very quick to help anyone out unless somehow it benefits him.  I don't know him personally, I hear things, but he isn't much of a people person.  Unless he swallows some pride and becomes an advocate for his coaches, Gentry will continue to slide downhill.

Patriot12

Any word on who is looking at this job

Loyalfan1

iliveformarch

I would guess an assistant or two within the conference probably has or will apply. It usually happens that way for jobs like this.

Tigerdad2

Any Prairie Grove assistants ?

Loyalfan1

This is a NW Ark job.  Can't  believe everyone isn't applying.?

beach bum

They need a young, players minded coach. Gentry needs to get its numbers up. 25 to 30 players can not get it done in 4A.

beach bum

Also, I think with a disciplined, hard nosed offense and a defense that is sowed up Gentry could consistently be in the playoffs year after year for a while.

Patriot12

They return 2 starters and they have been in the playoffs the last two years and 3 of the last five.

always88

Quote from: Patriot12 on January 14, 2015, 07:18:23 pm
They return 2 starters and they have been in the playoffs the last two years and 3 of the last five.
correct me if im wrong , but they made playoffs with a 3-7 record and finished 5th in conference?

Tigerdad2

That's correct, with only 18 wins in those 5 seasons

Patriot12

Lincoln, Berryville and Huntsville would have liked to have that 5 seed but with so little coming back it will be rough for who ever they get. At that point the 5 seed will look pretty good

Loyalfan1

beach bum

Quote from: Loyalfan1 on January 20, 2015, 09:57:02 am
updates?

From my understanding this is going to be an extremely slow process which kind of is a downer.

always88

According to the school website/schoolboard meeting,  they have just now put a search comittee together. Also if im reading and understanding correctly,  the top 3-5 candidates will also be interviewed by the football team/students.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: always88 on January 20, 2015, 11:31:17 am
According to the school website/schoolboard meeting,  they have just now put a search comittee together. Also if im reading and understanding correctly,  the top 3-5 candidates will also be interviewed by the football team/students.
The students will have input on the hiring? Wow. Lol

phdefense

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on January 20, 2015, 11:37:29 am
The students will have input on the hiring? Wow. Lol
Well we do live in a world where kids can sue their parents for college tuition.

http://abc7.com/education/nj-woman-sues-estranged-parents-for-college-tuition/393865/

Jimbo Morphis

you have got to be kidding me?

Loyalfan1

Sounds like more of the same coming for Gentry.

always88

Appointment of Football Head Coach Screening Committee Members per board policy
GBM and GBSBA
Dr. Barrett opened the process with an explanation of board policy GBSBA and the listing of
members either appointed by Mr. Harper or specified by the policy itself. He explained that the
remaining committee make-up that required appointment by the board was community
member(s) and a representative from the board. The following were proposed by board
members:
From Mr. Kreger:
Shawn Haag
Craig Franzeen
Pat McFerron
Danny Corter
From Mr. Williams:
Heidi Nance
Jim Ennis, Jr.
From Ms. Cypert
Emily Hodges
From Mr. Bolinger:
Jonathan Nance
From Mr. Cripps:
Joey Still
After an extended discussion among board members, it was agreed that all of the proposed
candidates would be equally suitable, that two would be an appropriate number, and that the
fairest selection procedure would be a "random draw from a hat". Jonathan Nance and Jim
Ennis, Jr. were selected in the draw. Dr. Barrett expressed that the other six should be made to
feel welcome to attend as non-voting members if they liked.
There was a discussion at this point, initiated by Mr. Williamson, about the possible
consequences of having just one student serve on the committee. Again, after a period of
discussion, it was agreed to strike the student position from the committee as this was an optional
position as provided by the policy.
Additional discussion focused on how to insure student involvement. Varying opinions were
offered with the "pro's" and "con's" of each debated.
In the final analysis, the board decided to form an "ad hoc" committee of students that would
visit with the final 3 to 5 candidates screened by the Committee and offer their perceptual input.
Details on that procedure are to be determined by the Committee at a later date.
With three board members expressing an interest to serve on the committee- Misters Kreger,
Bolinger, and Dunlap- the "hat method" was used again to select the board representative. Mr.
Dunlap's name was drawn

SUGARTOWN

I'll bet the prospective coaches are just ecstatic about being interviewed by a few 16-17 year old students.

Loyalfan1

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on January 21, 2015, 10:08:47 am
I'll bet the prospective coaches are just ecstatic about being interviewed by a few 16-17 year old students.
Got that Right ! LOL!

whippersnapper

Safe to say...Only in gentry would students be in on a interview process haha.

OLDSCHOOL82

Good luck finding a ringer.

Lionfan

And they wonder why their program is in the tank

Brian G

Does the AD have a son in law?

beach bum

January 23, 2015, 12:16:25 am #41 Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 12:32:44 am by beach bum
Now come on guys..... We all made stellar decisions as teenagers  ;D

Lionfan

I wonder if this move will detour some candidates from even applying for the position? It sure would make me think what kind of program the school board and leaders of athletic program are running?

by-stander

Any word on this job?  Updates?

Beaver Fever

This could take awhile, the students are using their common core math skills to calculate the new coaches salary.

Brian G

always88

Will not matter who the new coach will be as long as Little is still at Gentry, the whole athletic program will continue to stay at the bottom of 1-4A. Hard to understand what's going on in Gentry.

nuttinbuthogs

Any idea when they intend to hire?  The job posting on the school website says they will be taking applications until June.  Do they have any coaches on staff that would be a prime candidate?

beach bum

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on February 01, 2015, 10:25:34 pm
Any idea when they intend to hire?  The job posting on the school website says they will be taking applications until June.  Do they have any coaches on staff that would be a prime candidate?

That is just sad to me to wait until June.... If your HC steps down, get the process moving. Obviously, don't rush the process but all this does is a deter the players who have no clue who they are playing for. The kids at Gentry definitely deserve better!

nuttinbuthogs

I would think you would want a coach in to start making any changes. Who knows what they will be doing on offense and defense.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas