• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bo Hembree Through The Years....

Started by FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48, December 15, 2014, 09:58:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48

As Warren hoisted the 4A state title on Saturday, I couldn't help but think of Coach Hembree and all he has been though and where he was brought this program from his first day on the job.  I was around the program in his early years, playing on the 2nd state title team in 2002.  Coming in a young gun, Bo was quite the hot head, and I think if you asked him, he'd even tell you he was, at times, an obnoxious mix of confidence and cocky.  He butted heads with assistant coaches, heck, even his star QB Reid McKinney numerous times whether in practice or on Friday nights.  But that confidence oozed into his program and the players.  I can't speak for every team he's coached, but in 2002, I can honestly say, there wasn't a single game on our schedule that we thought we'd lose.  Even against 5A Springdale to open that season--we knew it would be a tough match-up, but we truly believed we could beat Gus Malzahm and his Bulldogs.  We came into that season with one belief, get back to WMS and win back-to-back titles, and our confidence never wavered.

Bo has taken a lot of flack at times, whether on this board or around town.  He's been called the coach who has done less with more and there were some seasons that things around the Warren program looked bleak.  But he never staggered in his approach--he never lost faith in himself or his players.  Bo took chances, this year's senior class is a prime example of that.  In 2011, Coach Hembree threw a number of freshmen into the fire and they learned through some hard knocks.  That season, they were coming off the worst season in Bo's head coaching tenure at Warren (6-5 in 2010) and I can remember the talk around town, or in private conversations, people questioning if Bo had lost his step.  But again, he never faltered.  He allows the kids to learn through both victories and defeats and look at where they ended their high school careers--state champions. 

Warren had been a successful program prior to Bo's arrival.  Some of Coach Arnold's mid-late 90s teams were excellent squads chalk full of talent but they could never seem to get over the hump.  Bo had almost immediate success, guiding Warren to an undefeated 3A championship in only his 2nd season at the helm.  Coach Hembree is now 151-41-1 in 15 seasons at the helm of the Lumberjacks program.  That's an average record of 10-3 per season--or basically, the Quarterfinals.  Coach Hembree has NEVER MISSED THE PLAY-OFFS--and in over half of his seasons at Warren, the 8AAA or 8-4A was one of, if not the toughest division in it's classification.  I'll admit, there have also been some lean years where the competition just wasn't there in conference, but there were also years this conference was absolutely loaded.  Bo has absolutely dominated the conference landscape.  His 10 conference titles in 5 seasons prove that.  He has lost 11, ELEVEN, conference games in 15 seasons.  ELEVEN! 

Coach Hembree has also played for 5 state championships--so basically, every 3 years, he has his team in the finals (15/5=3).  What a great stat.  And he hasn't done it all with one class.  He did have an exceptional wealth of talent for his 2001 and 2002 titles.  Another very talented group that came up just short, literally a football length away depending on which ref you were that night, from a title in 2006 with a ridiculously talented group.  We all remember last year's debacle of a football game against Booneville but again, his players played hard til the last whistle, coming up just short again.  That same group responded and finished out the right way this season.  This coach is 3 points from having 5 rings in 15 seasons.  Sit back from your computer and process that.  Three. Points. (and the most controversial 2-point play in title game history--that's another story)

If there's one word to describe Coach Hembree, in my mind, it'd be consistent.  Warren fans have taken Bo for granted far too long, myself included in that bunch.  We all want those pretty 10-0 regular seasons, but he has shown that 7-3, 8-2 will work just fine.  He has a method for his madness and it shows time and time again in the play-offs.  Bo wants to compete against the very best, and I think that's what sets him apart from other coaches in 4A.  He will literally play anyone, anywhere.  Warren has played more higher classification teams under Bo Hembree then the rest of the major 4A programs combined--look it up and prove me wrong on that one.  Whether Springdale, Fayetteville, FS Southside, Pulaski Academy, Watson Chapel, Bryant. etc. he has never backed down from scheduling big time games.  And his program has reaped the rewards for his scheduling.  Playing the best gets you battle tested and ready for the play-offs: look to this year's Dardanelle game if you need the most recent example.  The point is, Bo always has his Lumberjacks positioned to compete for a championship.  We are consistently considered one of the very top 2 or 3 programs in our classification and we're always in the discussion.  There are dozens and dozens of schools around the state of Arkansas who would give anything to be where the Warren program is today, and we owe that success to Coach Hembree. 

Coach Hembree has a losing record to only a handful of schools around the state: Springdale (0-1), Bryant (0-1), Pine Bluff (0-2), Pulaski Academy (2-5), Camden Fairview (0-2), Shiloh Christian (1-3) and Nashville (2-3).  If you'll notice, only two are current 4A schools.  Outside of these 7 teams, Coach Hembree has dominated his competition.  He owns Warren's biggest rival, Monticello with a 12-2-1 record.  Has a 7-5 record against PB Dollarway and as pesky as Star City and Hamburg can be, Bo has muzzled the Bulldogs and Lions 14-2 and 14-1 respectively.  He is 8-3 against teams from the current 7-4A, 10-4 against the current 2-4A, 4-1 against the current 4-4A, 2-0 against the current 3-4A and 2-4 against the current 1-4A (3 of those losses to Shiloh).  As you can see, his dominance isn't just against his current conference, it carries to every conference around the state. 

I just want to say thanks to Coach Hembree.  I know from time to time he'll drift onto the boards for a read and if he happens to come across this post I want him to know that I appreciate the level of dedication and commitment he's made to each and every player who has been a part of his program.  What he has given to the town and community of Warren Arkansas I hope will never be taken for granted again.  As a former player and an alum of Warren, I'm proud to say today that I'm a Lumberjack and I'm very, very proud to call Bo my coach.  Thanks for everything, here's to many, many more wins and championships as you continue to build upon your dynasty in Southeast Arkansas. 

--Kyle O'Neal, c/o 2003

AirWarren

Jacketman65

Jack1990

Awesome analysis and post as always Kyle!  It's our privilege to read such a thoughtful and well put together post as well as call you a fellow Lumberjack!

STUNNA

I am proud and thankful that I got to ay for Coach Hembree... I still remember getting yelled at all the time for my lack of blocking... Lol... Another thing that is so impressive about Coach is that he wants to get kids to play at the next level. And I think what makes him happier than anything is to help these young men get into college to continue a dream and further their education!!!!

STUNNA

This might be tough but does anyone have the exact number on players that Hembree has helped go onto play college football? Would like to know the exact number..

Superjack45

Yes and not only just that how many kids have received D1 or D2 scholarship since he has come vs before he got there. He has done so much for these young men,great group of kids with respect,characters and honor = Champion. Keep it up Bo in about 2 more years I look to see them in the Rock again because he has another group coming up that will be salty. Go Jacks.

Jimbo Morphis

nice post kyle.people who know football outside of warren know how good bo is. only some warren people forget.

cuckoobird

You guys are the worst bandwagon fans ever. Up until the Crossett game you were questioned him big time. Y'all kill me

whippersnapper

Mr. O'Neal a article like that is part of the reason I love high school football. Its the best sport out there and it shows in the passion of towns like Warren. You wrote one fine piece. Congrats again to Coach Hembree and the jacks

AirWarren

Quote from: STUNNA on December 15, 2014, 10:25:03 am
This might be tough but does anyone have the exact number on players that Hembree has helped go onto play college football? Would like to know the exact number..

Well over 30 signed letters of intent to play college ball under Coach. I know he had three that signed to play baseball as well.

AirWarren

Quote from: whippersnapper on December 15, 2014, 10:28:22 am
Mr. O'Neal a article like that is part of the reason I love high school football. Its the best sport out there and it shows in the passion of towns like Warren. You wrote one fine piece. Congrats again to Coach Hembree and the jacks

This is only a small piece of what this man used to do for this website and even the local paper in Warren. As well as yearbook articles.

Quote from: AirWarren on December 15, 2014, 10:33:14 am
Quote from: whippersnapper on December 15, 2014, 10:28:22 am

This is only a small piece of what this man used to do for this website and even the local paper in Warren. As well as yearbook articles.

You are too kind AW.  Thanks for the kind words.  My passion for Lumberjack burns deep.  I might not be as knowledgeable as I once was regarding the program and players but every now and then, I can dig around and come up with something. 

AirWarren

From what we have gathered, Bo has given the opportunity to kids to play at the next level with 45 LOI's signed.

STUNNA

Pretty freaking impressive... Should go over 50 after this class signs

Romeo

All these threads about Warren ugh.. enough to make a Warren hater sick.

AirWarren

Quote from: Romeo on December 15, 2014, 12:23:05 pm

I know right. If only they were intelligent enough to either...
1. Log off.
2. Not click on them.

cuckoobird

December 15, 2014, 01:50:54 pm #17 Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 01:53:02 pm by cuckoobird
There is a huge difference in how the past 5 or 6 champs have acted and this years. Are yall going to start a thread on the color, texture, and smell of Bo's stool next? You know AW you broke your nose not too long ago when he made a left without signalling. If it happens again it could require surgery

AirWarren

Quote from: AirWarren on December 15, 2014, 12:26:37 pm
Quote from: Romeo on December 15, 2014, 12:23:05 pm

I know right. If only they were intelligent enough to either...
1. Log off.
2. Not click on them.

Quote from: cuckoobird on December 15, 2014, 01:50:54 pm
There is a huge difference in how the past 5 or 6 champs have acted and this years. Are yall going to start a thread on the color, texture, and smell of Bo's stool next? You know AW you broke your nose not too long ago when he made a left without signalling. If it happens again it could require surgery

Hey buddy, I'm congratulating my coach man.  He's the best coach in class 4A and deserves any recognition he receives.  AW has it right, if you don't want to read, don't click on the thread. You Stuttgart posters are the most obnoxious people on this board.

I included more facts in this one post then you and your crew has been able to produce this entire season.  If you can't handle the fact that the Warren crew actually knows what they're talking about then it might be best for you to take some time away from this website.  I don't post often, and I can go more than a minute without checking the boards--you should try to do the same.  It would do you some good.

--Kyle

cuckoobird

December 15, 2014, 02:30:21 pm #20 Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 02:33:08 pm by cuckoobird
Warren crew? You mean the guys who were contemplating suicide in week 4. Or the guys who said all 8-4a title game. Or the guys who claimed the title the previous two years until their beatdowns. I guess if you claim it every year when it finally happens you can say what you just said. Smh bTw i held you to a higher regard with LJ and Jack1990 but now you're in the group with SJ, AW, footballer and Badgerfan

STUNNA

Quote from: cuckoobird on December 15, 2014, 02:30:21 pm
Warren crew? You mean the guys who were contemplating suicide in week 4. Or the guys who said all 8-4a title game. Or the guys who claimed the title the previous two years until their beatdowns. I guess if you claim it every year when it finally happens you can say what you just said. Smh
Not sure anyone claimed we would win the title they year these boys were sophomores... And Boonville was far from a beat down..

cuckoobird

None the less i just posted more facts while fishing than he has in his last 5 books he's written

AirWarren

Quote from: cuckoobird on December 15, 2014, 02:30:21 pm
Warren crew? You mean the guys who were contemplating suicide in week 4. Or the guys who said all 8-4a title game. Or the guys who claimed the title the previous two years until their beatdowns. I guess if you claim it every year when it finally happens you can say what you just said. Smh bTw i held you to a higher regard with LJ and Jack1990 but now you're in the group with SJ, AW, footballer and Badgerfan

Coming from the guy that is in the same group as SJ, AW, Footballar, and badgerfan to many of the posters on here.

STUNNA

One day I hope I will be able to wear my sons letterman jacket proudly... And hopefully he can win me a ring to wear also!!!

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: STUNNA on December 15, 2014, 02:39:20 pm
One day I hope I will be able to wear my sons letterman jacket proudly... And hopefully he can win me a ring to wear also!!!
BAZINGA!

cuckoobird

Why would i wear his, mine has more patches

STUNNA

Quote from: cuckoobird on December 15, 2014, 02:50:39 pm
But patches are worthless if you don't have the ring!!

No offense, I'm not concerned with which group you lump me into.  I'm a Lumberjack fan.  Plain and simple.  I'm an educated poster that tries to add to the conversation with facts.  I don't post often because I've admitted, I'm not as knowledgeable on the Warren program or 4A football in general as I once was.  But if I take the time to type it, you can bet I took the time to research it. 

I'm not going to get into a gum-flapping war with anyone.  But I'm not going to let someone hijack a thread that I wrote in regards to a great coach.  I know I could walk away from this board right now and not think about it again.  I question if you could do the same.

Again, if you haven't, I suggest it.  I lost touch with the Warren program about 4 or 5 years ago while living here in Louisiana.  I stopped posting on here and only read it occasionally during the football season to keep up with how the Jacks were doing.  It was a great decision, and I'd encourage everyone to step away from time to time. 

If you rely on the Fearless Boards to give you something to hang your hat on at the end of the day, you really need to get out more.  Again, lump me into whichever group you'd like.  The Warren posters and the majority of the other posters on this board who remember me can vouch for my character.  I add more to the discussion than I try to take away from it with a bunch of hog-wash. 

Done dealing with the typical Stuttgart trolling.  Great job Coach Hembree--can't wait for the next title!  Go Jacks!

--Kyle

phdefense

Quote from: FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48 on December 15, 2014, 03:02:42 pm
No offense, I'm not concerned with which group you lump me into.  I'm a Lumberjack fan.  Plain and simple.  I'm was an educated poster that tries to add to the conversation with facts.  I don't post often because I've admitted, I'm not as knowledgeable on the Warren program or 4A football in general as I once was.  But if I take the time to type it, you can bet I took the time to research it. 

I'm not going to get into a gum-flapping war with anyone.  But I'm not going to let someone hijack a thread that I wrote in regards to a great coach.  I know I could walk away from this board right now and not think about it again.  I question if you could do the same.

Again, if you haven't, I suggest it.  I lost touch with the Warren program about 4 or 5 years ago while living here in Louisiana.  I stopped posting on here and only read it occasionally during the football season to keep up with how the Jacks were doing.  It was a great decision, and I'd encourage everyone to step away from time to time. 

If you rely on the Fearless Boards to give you something to hang your hat on at the end of the day, you really need to get out more.  Again, lump me into whichever group you'd like.  The Warren posters and the majority of the other posters on this board who remember me can vouch for my character.  I add more to the discussion than I try to take away from it with a bunch of hog-wash. 

Done dealing with the typical Stuttgart trolling.  Great job Coach Hembree--can't wait for the next title!  Go Jacks!

--Kyle
I understand you are excited and Warren deserves their time in the sun, but don't start making outlandish statements like Hembree is the best coach in the 4A if you do not want to get called out. Anyone in their right mind knows Dawson>Hembree.

phdefense

Quote from: STUNNA on December 15, 2014, 02:59:28 pm
How about you just walk up to every Jack you see that have patches they earned from 2003-2013 and every year prior to 2001 and tell them that they are worthless  ::)

Quote from: phdefense on December 15, 2014, 03:19:59 pm
Quote from: FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48 on December 15, 2014, 03:02:42 pm
No offense, I'm not concerned with which group you lump me into.  I'm a Lumberjack fan.  Plain and simple.  I'm was an educated poster that tries to add to the conversation with facts.  I don't post often because I've admitted, I'm not as knowledgeable on the Warren program or 4A football in general as I once was.  But if I take the time to type it, you can bet I took the time to research it. 

--Kyle
I understand you are excited and Warren deserves their time in the sun, but don't start making outlandish statements like Hembree is the best coach in the 4A if you do not want to get called out. Anyone in their right mind knows Dawson>Hembree.

I honestly wouldn't be completely sold on that statement.  If anything, they are right there neck and neck.  People knocked Bo for doing "less with more" or only winning titles when he has athletes, but Dawson hasn't even produced a title game appearance since his 3-peat  from 2005-2007.  Dawson was able to do some great, great things with that group of athletes, but since that great run Nashville hasn't been the dominant program they've been known to be.  Bo has maintained consistency through-out his tenure at Warren. 

Dawson might have outcoached Bo in the 2007 match-up, but he's a controversial call in the title game away from being 1-1 against Bo.  I'd take Bo to coach my team.  I know not everyone will agree, but I think you'd have to make a pretty strong case to show that Dawson is head and shoulders above Bo Hembree.

--Kyle

STUNNA

Quote from: phdefense on December 15, 2014, 03:24:08 pm
How about you just walk up to every Jack you see that have patches they earned from 2003-2013 and every year prior to 2001 and tell them that they are worthless  ::)
How about you tell all the players that have and haven't made the playoffs in Stuttgart that they don't matter unless they win it all... Because I have heard that plenty of times that the playoffs don't mean jack u less you win it all.

phdefense

Quote from: FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48 on December 15, 2014, 03:25:47 pm

--Kyle

I honestly wouldn't be completely sold on that statement.  If anything, they are right there neck and neck.  People knocked Bo for doing "less with more" or only winning titles when he has athletes, but Dawson hasn't even produced a title game appearance since his 3-peat  from 2005-2007.  Dawson was able to do some great, great things with that group of athletes, but since that great run Nashville hasn't been the dominant program they've been known to be.  Bo has maintained consistency through-out his tenure at Warren. 

Dawson might have outcoached Bo in the 2007 match-up, but he's a controversial call in the title game away from being 1-1 against Bo.  I'd take Bo to coach my team.  I know not everyone will agree, but I think you'd have to make a pretty strong case to show that Dawson is head and shoulders above Bo Hembree.

--Kyle
You are forgetting what Dawson did at Siloam. No Dawson isn't head shoulders ahead of Hembree, but their is enough of a difference to make a definitive statement.

phdefense

Quote from: STUNNA on December 15, 2014, 03:28:12 pm
Quote from: phdefense on December 15, 2014, 03:24:08 pm
How about you tell all the players that have and haven't made the playoffs in Stuttgart that they don't matter unless they win it all... Because I have heard that plenty of times that the playoffs don't mean jack u less you win it all.
Corrected Warrenite chooses option 1.

cuckoobird

STUNNA

Sounds like something a Stuttgart fan would say...

phdefense

Quote from: STUNNA on December 15, 2014, 03:29:50 pm
Sounds like something a Stuttgart fan would say...
But it was a Warrenite that did say it

Quote from: phdefense on December 15, 2014, 03:28:19 pm
Quote from: FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48 on December 15, 2014, 03:25:47 pm

--Kyle

--Kyle
You are forgetting what Dawson did at Siloam. No Dawson isn't head shoulders ahead of Hembree, but their is enough of a difference to make a definitive statement.

We'll see in the next 5 seasons or so.  I like the direction Warren is heading and the program that Bo has built there in Bradley County.  Dawson is a great coach, but his Scrappers haven't been recently what they were in the mid-2000s. 

But like I said, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  I just said I'd take Bo over any coach in Class 4A if I was wanting to build a program into a title contender year in and year out.  I'm happy to have him on our sideline every Friday night.  As for you cuck, please. Quiet yourself.  I started the topic and I respect ph, felt I owed him a response.

AirWarren

--Kyle

--Kyle

It's safe to say that Dawson and Hembree are among the best coaches in Arkansas and both will probably be in the Arkansas sports Hall of Fame one day.

STUNNA

What coach walked into the better job?

phdefense

Quote from: AirWarren on December 15, 2014, 03:35:52 pm

--Kyle

--Kyle

It's safe to say that Dawson and Hembree are among the best coaches in Arkansas and both will probably be in the Arkansas sports Hall of Fame one day.
Interestingly enough I like Hembree's chances of getting in the HOF better than Dawson. I think Hembree is more likely to stick with it and get to that magical land of 200+ wins.

AirWarren

Quote from: phdefense on December 15, 2014, 03:41:39 pm
Quote from: AirWarren on December 15, 2014, 03:35:52 pm

--Kyle

--Kyle

Interestingly enough I like Hembree's chances of getting in the HOF better than Dawson. I think Hembree is more likely to stick with it and get to that magical land of 200+ wins.

I think so too.

STUNNA

Just wondering who is the longest tenured coach at the 4A level?

phdefense

December 15, 2014, 03:44:21 pm #44 Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 03:50:21 pm by phdefense
Quote from: STUNNA on December 15, 2014, 03:43:39 pm
Active? Making a quick glance it looks like Abshier at PG.

cuckoobird

STUNNA

Quote from: phdefense on December 15, 2014, 03:44:21 pm
Yea I thought he would be close to the top.

phdefense

December 15, 2014, 03:54:46 pm #47 Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 04:07:45 pm by phdefense
Quote from: STUNNA on December 15, 2014, 03:53:01 pm
Quote from: phdefense on December 15, 2014, 03:44:21 pm
Yea I thought he would be close to the top.
Hembree was in 3rd behind Harrisburg's coach Keith Davis at the start of the season, but passed him up in the playoffs.

BTW these numbers are based off of record at the current school. If were are talking about what coach has the most experience over all it is coach Tice of Huntsville and it's not even close.

LJ06

Bo Hembree

Years at Warren:  15 (2000-Present)
Record at Warren:  151-41-1
State Titles:  3 (2001, 2002, 2014)
Conference Titles:  11 (2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014)
Playoff Appearances:  15
Playoff Record:  30-12
Finals Appearances:  5
Semi-Final Appearances:  5
Quarter-Final Appearances:  8
Second Round Appearances:  13

Records Since 2000

2000 - 8-4 (5-2)
2001 - 15-0 (7-0)
2002 - 14-1 (7-0)
2003 - 7-4 (6-1)
2004 - 10-3 (6-1)