• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whose going to be good in boys & girls this year?

Started by razorbackhog, July 25, 2014, 08:21:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mississippi King

I know it's early but has anybody heard any rumors about who may bid on each regional and/or the state tournament in 2A this year?

razorbackhog

You have to think that a Marmaduke or a BIC will bid for either regional or state

HorseFeathers

Bout time for state host to be in central or west again isn't it?

Greyhound#1

Salem girls are loaded.  They were already good but a dominate freshman class that only lost few games comes in to help with depth.  Only graduated 1 I believe.  I don't see them losing in conference play with cedar ridge gone.  This team should be considered a contender.

redrider30

I agree Salem girls should win their conference easy and should be in contention for a runner-up spot in the regional. They match up well against the 2-4 teams in the 2A-3. They however do not match up well against Marmaduke but not many people will.   

redrider30

As for the bids on regional and state Marmaduke will likely bid for both and BIC probably will also. The regional the last two years has been at Sloan Hendrix and Pangburn so you would think the 2A-3 would have a good chance of hosting it this year. Especially with Cedar Ridge moving to 3A.

emthawg

I wouldn't be surprised if Riverside doesn't put in for Regionals again this year.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: emthawg on September 02, 2014, 04:19:08 pm
I wouldn't be surprised if Riverside doesn't put in for Regionals again this year.

Riverside has a very nice gym , plus it's about 15 min from Jonesboro that has plenty of hotels and restaurants

MomaLion

I'm hoping Carlisle puts in a bid.  Nice facility with plenty of parking and central.  Marmaduke's gym is so small for a state.

redrider30

Here we go again. I'll give you that we don't have the walk around and that makes it nice for overflow but when you talk about actual seating capacity Marmaduke's gym seats over 1850 making it by seating capacity one of the largest in 2A. When you get a chance just count the seats at Riverside, BIC and Sloan Hendrix. But I do like the extra standing room at BIC and Sloan Hendrix. AAA mostly cares about one thing and that's money and tournament after tournament Marmaduke turns in more gate money than any other 2A site. AAA's priorities were clear in 2013 when they selected Barton Arena over the Convocation Center to host the State Finals. Riverside does have a nice gym but it doesn't have walk around either or no end bleachers and just count the seats, I believe you'll find it seats at least 500 less than Marmaduke. I would like to host the regional or state again but at least I hope the 2A-3 gets the regional and the state is a little closer than Hampton although we can't complain we had state in this area for a number of years.

bdubyab60

yeah you can fit that many in Marmaduke. But be honest people standing in the concession area and sitting in aisle isnt safe or comfortable. Then having to walk on the court during a game to get to a seat is ridiculous.

redrider30

As for the West or the Central hosting the state again. Every school has an opportunity to bid on these tournaments over the past several years no one from these areas has bid on the tournament. Last year Hampton was the only school not from NE Arkansas to bid and they got it even though they knew they probably wouldn't have a team in the tournament. It takes a lot of community support to host the state and that's why you see the same schools bid year after year ( like BIC, Marmaduke and Cedar Ridge). It takes a lot of people to pull off a good tournament. I know of administrators that have bid on tournaments to appease their fans, praying they wouldn't get it because they knew they just didn't have the volunteers to pull it off.

redrider30

September 04, 2014, 11:18:43 am #62 Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 11:20:18 am by redrider30
The new designed gyms are better for fans. I totally agree. Our gym is 25 years old and was ahead of its time when built. I am not disputing that it is not set up as good as the new ones. One thing people forget to look at when looking at seating capacity is where the side bleachers stop. Almost all gyms bleachers stop at the end of the court. Marmaduke get a lot of extra seats because the bleachers go way past the court at all four corners and also bleachers on both ends. I agree the walking in front of the bench is a problem. AAA knows the seating capacity at Marmaduke because of how many tickets sold and how much money that is turned in to them. Trust me it would be impossible to turn in $50,000 gate money in a gym that didn't seat at least 1,800 people. Again AAA isn't interested in your comfort or we wouldn't have had to play at Barton Arena with no A/C and shower curtains for bathroom stall doors. Just like the world today money talks.

HorseFeathers

what's minimum seating capacity for state anyway?

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: HF on September 04, 2014, 03:59:45 pm

For State
In 1A it's  1200
In 2A it's 1500
In 3A it's 1500
I believe these are correct from AAA sight

HorseFeathers

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on September 04, 2014, 04:27:57 pm

For State
In 1A it's  1200
In 2A it's 1500
In 3A it's 1500

Hmm...I believe Magazine has bid on state...Our Gym is bigger, and Hacket's may be slightly bigger than Hectors....Maybe we can get some basketball teams good enough that we would consider bidding on them :\ ...our girls should make state this year, and our boys have been 3 or 4 times in recent years...

WPWells

I'd never want to go to a state tournament at Magazine. There's no leg room

HorseFeathers

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on September 04, 2014, 07:35:43 pm
I'd never want to go to a state tournament at Magazine. There's no leg room

There's no room haha....They hosted our region 2 or 3 years in a row...Nice gym, but not a lot of room if they ever got it full...

BigLion10

Not sure 14 but this being her junior year I'm sure a lot will this year and next

MarionBlueDevil

I expect to see the Earle boys there at the end of the year.

jbtiger73

definitely a toss up between Clarendon, JC, and Earle. I could see either of them winning it all

Cheek

Quote from: jbtiger73 on October 01, 2014, 09:51:18 am
definitely a toss up between Clarendon, JC, and Earle. I could see either of them winning it all

England Boys will make run for the title.

BrianfromCarlisle

Unless Clarendon has a tremendous letdown, they should definitely be in the mix.  I don't see a letdown.  I see them being extremely determined.

Silky Johnson

They're lucky there isn't another Cedar Ridge this year. I knew a sound and disciplined team would give them problems, CR just happened to be that and be really good. I don't see any teams really like that this year. BIC's coach will be their X-factor and they have a good player in Austin Pike. EPC and Earle will be teams that want the game up and down the floor. 2A should be competitive even though it is not as balanced.

ak58

The Spring Hill girls will not be as talented as last season. Lost 3 very talented seniors but still have some talent coming back. Could make a deep state tourniment run. Marmaduke, marked tree, England, & Spring Hill girls will all be some of the more dangerous teams. Look out for foreman girls also.

MomaLion

Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle on October 01, 2014, 03:43:09 pm
Unless Clarendon has a tremendous letdown, they should definitely be in the mix.  I don't see a letdown.  I see them being extremely determined.
We have all of last years players back and they spent the summer doing AAU ball so i'm looking for good things from them as long as they don't get over confident.  As for last year, we beat ourselves for whatever reason...they just weren't playing their game whether it was the big venue/nerves or what I don't know.  I think they would have been very competitive with CR if the game had been in Hampton but I could be wrong.

BoxNOne

Quote from: ak58 on October 02, 2014, 12:42:23 pm
The Spring Hill girls will not be as talented as last season. Lost 3 very talented seniors but still have some talent coming back. Could make a deep state tourniment run. Marmaduke, marked tree, England, & Spring Hill girls will all be some of the more dangerous teams. Look out for foreman girls also.

Unless Marked Tree girls have had some move ins, I don't think they will be a state contender. They will have to battle to even make regionals out of the 2A-3 conference.

razorbackhog

The Perry girl is the main player at Marked Tree and rumor has it that she is in better shape than last year, I think the queston with them is can their guards be good enough to handle the ball and get it to her enough to score.  Regional team and very well could be a state tournament team.

BIC's new style will the biggest surprise, still have the same personnel and can score, but have heard they are in great shape and know how to play defense now, we will all see. 

Season for everyone is getting kicked off in the next few weeks so the talk will be more accurate on all these teams as the season continues to progress.  So excited for basketball season!!!!

BoxNOne

Razorbackhog, we obviously disagree about MT. I think the loss of Jay Perry will hurt them tremendously. As for BIC, I thought BIC has played pretty good D over the past years. IMO, you guys will miss Fowler more than you think but time will tell.

Cheek

Quote from: BoxNOne on October 03, 2014, 07:55:08 am

Unless Marked Tree girls have had some move ins, I don't think they will be a state contender. They will have to battle to even make regionals out of the 2A-3 conference.

In the girls, you had better watch our for JCW.  They were young last year, but very talented.

thabeast428

I'm going on a limb and saying Jc girls will be a good team this yr they r young but should be a better team than years past. Of course I believe the boys will go deep and may win it all this yr.

HorseFeathers

Didn't they lose their Coach as well?

razorbackhog

BoxNOne, You maybe right, they may miss Fowler more than they know, but I have heard a lot of buzz around the girls program from some friends of mine that have said the girls are practicing at a totally different level and are in much better shape and their is a lot of excitement around thier program right now.

Also, I think Marked Tree will surprise some people this year and if the two 9th graders at Riverside can be big contributors they can surprise soem people as well.  We will see!!!

I know BIC starts later than normal, first of November I think is what they told me?!

bdubyab60

Marked Tree girls would be a surprise. I think they will be from 3 to 5 in conference. They have lost a lot of guard play the last to years with not much back up.

NEA Razorback olfan

redrider30

bdubyab60 is right about guards. Perry may be a good post player but does no good if you can't get the ball down the court or you can't defend the other team. I think they will have to battle for the last spot to go to regionals.

bighurt411

JC Westside girls have the talent and potential to maybe make a run in the state tournament, but you have to focus on getting there first.

bighurt411

I think JC Westside senior girls are a top 5 team. Any thoughts?

BigLion10

JC Westside will make a lot of noise this year definitely a preseason top 10 team

bighurt411

Quote from: HF on September 04, 2014, 07:19:58 pm

For State
In 1A it's  1200
In 2A it's 1500
In 3A it's 1500

Hmm...I believe Magazine has bid on state...Our Gym is bigger, and Hacket's may be slightly bigger than Hectors....Maybe we can get some basketball teams good enough that we would consider bidding on them :\ ...our girls should make state this year, and our boys have been 3 or 4 times in recent years...

I really like the gym at Hector and i believe it is bigger than the one at Hackett. Much more
Comfortable also.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: bighurt411 on October 16, 2014, 07:43:49 pm
Quote from: HF on September 04, 2014, 07:19:58 pm

For State
In 1A it's  1200
In 2A it's 1500
In 3A it's 1500

I really like the gym at Hector and i believe it is bigger than the one at Hackett. Much more
Comfortable also.

The chair back seating will do that for you :D Hackett's is pretty nice, but it's been a while since I"ve been there.

NEA Razorback olfan

Did Riverside and Armorel girls play last night? Score?

BoxNOne

NEA Razorback olfan

Box, I believe Riverside has some good young talent , who starts and what grade are they in for the Lady Rebels?

BoxNOne

Didn't see the game last night but they start three seniors,one junior and one freshman. Another freshman could just as easily be a starter but comes off the bench. The Lady Rebels have good talent in 7th thru 9th grade.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: BoxNOne on October 25, 2014, 04:10:59 pm
Didn't see the game last night but they start three seniors,one junior and one freshman. Another freshman could just as easily be a starter but comes off the bench. The Lady Rebels have good talent in 7th thru 9th grade.

Sounds like a lot of talent coming up , I did see Riverside lady rebs 7th graders which was 6th at the time play at Brookland , some very good talent coming up. Our JR girls don't play each other this year , just a JV and V game as far as I know, sounds like that would be a good game though.

BoxNOne

Olfan, the jr rebels lost a 8th grader(who started as a 7th grader)for the season to a shoulder injury.They will struggle some without her.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: BoxNOne on October 25, 2014, 11:23:18 pm
Olfan, the jr rebels lost a 8th grader(who started as a 7th grader)for the season to a shoulder injury.They will struggle some without her.

Thats awful ,I Hate to see players injured!! hope she has a speedy recovery , and good luck on the season to the JR lady Rebels.

razorbackhog

BoxNOne, I heard where Riverside, JR. Girls play BIC JR Girls this Friday in the Marmaduke Tournament, what's your thoughts on that game?

BoxNOne

I haven't seen jr girls play yet. They could have had all five starters back from last year but two ninth graders were moved up and the lost a starting eighth grader for the season in a jamboree. I think they will start one 9th grader two 8th graders and two 7th graders.they are very young but will play hard.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas