• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HSU, OBU, HU

Started by freethrow, November 24, 2013, 01:02:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

freethrow

Hated to see Henderson State go down. Now it's up to Ouachita and Harding to uphold the honor of the GAC.

Lionheart88

November 24, 2013, 02:39:19 pm #1 Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 03:13:36 pm by Lionheart88
What was the HSU radio guy's deal the other day?  Calling the refs "bush league", dropping a G-D, I mean, the guy has to realize that more folks than just his buddies in the booth could hear him.  That's "watching the game at the house" stuff, not what you should hear out of a professional broadcaster.  Hopefully they can find better next year.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to seeing the Tigers play on 12/07.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Lionheart88 on November 24, 2013, 02:39:19 pm
What was the HSU radio guy's deal the other day?  Calling the refs "bush league", dropping a G-D, I mean, the guy does realize that more folks than just his buddies in the booth could hear him.  That's "watching the game at the house" stuff, not what you should hear out of a professional broadcaster.  Hopefully they can find better next year.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to seeing the Tigers play on 12/07.

Yeah, I'm thinking just that one word probably found him looking for a new job.....

The_Pioneer

Who is their broadcaster?

Lionheart88

One of the radio guys from 103.7, I think.  I've heard them talking about it on there before, and HSU advertises on their network all the time.  It's not one of the major personalities like Acri or Rainwater, just one of the minor guys, but I don't remember which one.

Busman

Phil Ellison is play by play, Voice of the Arkansas Travelers. RJ Hawk, producer on The Buzz, color guy. Ellison guest hosts some. Didn't here broadcast, but hate it if that happened. No place for that.

Lionheart88

RJ Hawk, that's the one.

OPoraquê

Sorry to hear of the comments.  I'm guessing, as someone mentioned, someone else is out of a job now at HSU broadcast.  That being said:

1.  Kevin Rodgers is now, for the second straight year, a finalist for the Harlon Hill DII POY award.  Gang, that appears not to happen that often.  Rodgers crossed the 10,000 career passing yardage mark last Saturday, and he and his team are still leading DII in a bunch of categories (and likely to stay in some of them by season's end).  Stats mean nothing without wins, but these guys were undefeated and ranked #4, just as they were undefeated in regular season last year.  Rodgers gets several of his top receivers back next year...the kid could end up being one of DII's best QBs ever if they keep this success up.

2.  Harding, #1 nationally in rushing yardage until the last game of the season, gets most of their top rushers back, too.

3.  OBU looks like they'll lose the most (defensively plus Rycraw) but they return a LOT of offensive firepower with some very good looking freshmen this year.  If they can capitalize on scoring the most points against Henderson the past three years (BOTR this year) plus do well in their bowl game...that would be nice.

4.  If Bentonville (speaking of finalists, they're one of three finalist for the NCAA DII football championship game the next few years) lands the DII championship, that, too, could be nice for one of these three schools if they can make it that far (big "if" in the GAC - seems like all the football power in that league right now is east of the Talimena Scenic Drive).

Lionheart88

November 26, 2013, 09:38:39 pm #8 Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 10:03:19 pm by Lionheart88
Losing Rycraw is certainly not good, but Steven Kehner and freshman Brandon Marks were both very good this year as well.  OBU had some excellent freshman at all the offensive skill positions this past year, including WR Ke'Vontae Pope from Blytheville and QB Austin Warford out of Malvern (who went in when they were looking to run an option-oriented package) in addition to the aforementioned Marks.  I don't expect to see much, if any drop off for the Tigers next season.

Edit: the Tigers should also get Ty Towers back (tore his ACL in the spring, IIRC).  He's another good receiving threat, assuming we don't have to move him to QB midseason like we did last year (shouldn't, behind Jordan and Warford there's another young QB, Lucas Reed, out of ElDo).

OPoraquê

January 05, 2014, 12:06:31 pm #9 Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 12:08:52 pm by OPoraquê
Interesting story from yesterday in the Dallas Morning News on "overnight-success" football recruits in the talent-ocean (not just "pool") in the D/FW area.  Thing that caught my eye: the only school to offer the QB at DeSoto, TX high school (finished as #2 in Texas, #5 in the nation in 2013) prior to this past football season was Harding.  (The QB, Desmon White, only finished as the Texas 5A OPOY - he'll attend TCU this fall.)

Knowing this and knowing that HSU's QB from D/FW suburb Rockwall is likely (barring catastrophe) going to finish as one of the top QBs ever in NCAA DII tells me that there are some good evaluators of talent in Arkansas who know how to find and RECRUIT rough diamonds in next-door neighbor Texas.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas