• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

GAC Football 2013

Started by Valleysports, July 09, 2013, 03:42:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Valleysports

Henderson State head coach Scott Maxfield joined with Arkansas Tech head coach Raymond Monica this morning to announce that the two teams will play in the Murphy USA Boomtown Classic in El Dorado, Ark., on Saturday, October 19. Kickoff is set for 3 p.m.

Lionheart88

ElDo has a nice stadium.  OBU played UAM there a couple of years ago, and I was thoroughly impressed.  Nicer than some GAC stadiums.

Valleysports

What is this Boomtown Classic?  I might have to zip down there and check it out.  Figure TECH's new coach will be in a building faze.  :-\

Lionheart88

Essentially, the town of El Dorado hosts a GAC game every year, usually between South Arkansas teams (OBU, HSU, UAM, and SAU have featured previously, Tech will be the farthest away of any school yet).  There's some fanfare around the game, tailgating and whatnot, but no more than there'd be if it were at either school's home stadium.  Memorial stadium itself is right in the middle of town, holds about 6,000, apparently it was built in the late 40s.  It's aging, made largely out of concrete, but is still quite nice for a high school stadium, and honestly better than UAM's or OBU's(as much as I hate to admit it), if only because the way it's built means you can't drop drinks, valuables, and small children through the floorboards.

I don't know that it's really any huge deal, but going to ElDo for a game is better than going to Monticello or Magnolia for a game, at any rate.

Valleysports

Sounds like it's good for Arkansas GAC!   

Looks like the stadium is only 2 miles from the Downtown Airport.     

toobad4u993

Any predictions on who takes conference?

Big Fan

Quote from: toobad4u993 on July 25, 2013, 07:27:52 pm
Any predictions on who takes conference?
Henderson will be the team to beat.  The Weevils will be much better than most expect.  And Tech will be battling to stay out of the cellar in a league built for them to succeed. 

Lionheart88

Henderson's got the target on their back.  If OBU doesn't have the injury woes they did last year, the Battle of the Ravine should be a lot of fun.  I fully expect Harding to compete as well.

Valleysports

Quote from: Big Fan on July 25, 2013, 08:13:39 pm
And Tech will be battling to stay out of the cellar in a league built for them to succeed.

Ha ha - go ahead and tell us how the league is built for Tech, any more than Henderson, East Central Oklahoma, Harding, or any other team?  Was that true in the AIC as well?  I don't know any more than you do,  about Tech this year, other than the new coaching staff went after freshmen instead of Jr College Transfers.

toobad4u993

One team in conference runs the triple option right?

Lionheart88

Quote from: toobad4u993 on July 26, 2013, 09:05:27 am

Harding, yes.  Fun to watch, even if I have to root against them on principal.  I keep wondering if there'll be a Robertson sighting at a Harding game some time.  Maybe they could film an episode of Duck Dynasty at a game.  lol

toobad4u993

Quote from: Lionheart88 on July 26, 2013, 09:55:06 am

Harding, yes.  Fun to watch, even if I have to root against them on principal.  I keep wondering if there'll be a Robertson sighting at a Harding game some time.  Maybe they could film an episode of Duck Dynasty at a game.  lol
They're too busy faking those shows to come all the way up to Arkansas and spend money

toobad4u993

UAM will be better this year I think. Their main problem last year seemed to be injuries at qb. They acquired three. One of which has an outstanding skill set. Still not sure if they will compete with the big boys of conference, but they will win the close games they lost last year and be in the upper half.

Valleysports

Quote from: toobad4u993 on July 26, 2013, 11:26:27 am

They're too busy faking those shows to come all the way up to Arkansas and spend money

What are you talking about?  Seems like they're here every week - Phil was in Bentonville last week (friend talked to him).  Si spent last weekend at the Conway Fairgrounds. 

Lionheart88

Willie and Korie are Harding Alumni.  I know I heard a while back that they had Willie back to speak at Chapel last year. It'd be pretty cool to see the GAC get some publicity via the show.

toobad4u993

Quote from: Valleysports on July 26, 2013, 10:19:12 pm
Quote from: toobad4u993 on July 26, 2013, 11:26:27 am

What are you talking about?  Seems like they're here every week - Phil was in Bentonville last week (friend talked to him).  Si spent last weekend at the Conway Fairgrounds.
I was only kidding

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas