• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5A tournament officiating?

Started by razorsharp94, March 11, 2014, 10:04:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorsharp94

Did anybody else feel that the officiating left a lot to be desired at the 5A tourney?  I watched a few games but mainly paid attention to the Huntsville Lady Eagles games.  I thought the PA vs Huntsville game was the worst officiated game (both sides) I've ever saw.  There were some puzzling calls in that game including one call that they actually gave the ball to PA then gave it to PA.  After figuring out what they did they switched the call to Huntsville.  There were others and like I said PA could be just as upset about the officiating.  It was pretty awful. 

Lionheart88

Some folks I know that saw the White Hall/Jacksonville girls game said it was pretty bad at that one as well.  I've been following White Hall basketball for ten years and Friday night was only the second or third time I've ever heard of our girls HC getting a tech.

Go Postal

Depends.

If you are talking about Private vs Public schools games, then go to the "Sport That Shalt Not Be Mentioned In Alma" threads. ;)  There is sometimes a lot about this.

If you are talking about all other sports, then, I agree.  Sometimes there is a WTH call, "Where did they get these officials"?  Refs makes mistakes, but it shouldn't be the reason for an outcome on a game.   I have listened to both teams sides on the radio streaming on a game and it is amazing that both side wonder why they called that call even though it might have been on the positive for their team.  Like I said earlier, refs do make mistakes (how many times that you've heard, "That was a makeup call"), but let two great teams play, only call obvious fouls during the playoffs.

Downnotout

They hand check calls are terrible. I know it comes from above, but it stinks. Let the kids play!

leaglebb

Eagle20

Hands are a result of a player getting beat or trying to control their opponent.  Play with your feet first and you don't have to worry about it.  It IS an advantage to the defense.

AT

From a guy who watched almost the whole tournament, it wasn't that bad, but the ref-hating bandwagon is strong on this website.

I did miss the one game where I heard it was out of hand (Vilonia-Paragould girls). But every game I attended wasn't bad.

DogsWin7

My mind is a playin tricks on me...lol!!!

I thought people liked the hand check rule?

Can't everyone get on the same pagge.

ahsalum

What a brilliant topic......bitching about the officiating.....

Someone lock this gibberish......

P.F.G.

There is a huge void across the state for refs. Seems like we have several keyboard warriors who could do a better job.

Rayburn

As someone who watched almost the whole tournament, the first two days were awful. The last two rounds were pretty good. The first two days averaged almost 50 fouls per game. Friday's last game started 45 minutes behind schedule without an overtime. There was a buzz going around the arena about that, and about how once a team got a little ahead, there was no chance for a comeback, or for the team up to put it away because it just became a free-throw shooting contest. I'm almost certain someone in authority had a talk with someone else, because they let them play the last two rounds and it made for some good basketball.

Regarding the PA-Huntsville game. I thought PA got the short end of the stick on some pretty bad calls in the first half, but nothing that couldn't have been overcome. Huntsville just outplayed them in the second half.

DogsWin7

Can't please everybody.   No way, I would ref a game....but I think their whistles are cool.  :)

Forrest City H

when a hard fought girls state semi-final between two similarly aggressive teams has a foul count of 25 on one side, and a total of 8 on the other side, this goes beyond bad officiating, and into the area of "the fix is in"....

Rayburn

That is bad, but it didn't happen at the 2014 5A tournament.

P.F.G.

Quote from: Forrest City H on March 13, 2014, 05:21:26 pm
when a hard fought girls state semi-final between two similarly aggressive teams has a foul count of 25 on one side, and a total of 8 on the other side, this goes beyond bad officiating, and into the area of "the fix is in"....

hahaha, WOW. The fix is on.....

leaglebb

Quote from: P.F.G. on March 13, 2014, 11:05:32 am
There is a huge void across the state for refs. Seems like we have several keyboard warriors who could do a better job.

You're correct on both.  And yes, even I could call a foul before any contact is made.  How much do they get paid per game since I'm qualified?  I need some extra boot.

Lionheart88

Quote from: leaglebb on March 14, 2014, 01:02:50 pm
Quote from: P.F.G. on March 13, 2014, 11:05:32 am

You're correct on both.  And yes, even I could call a foul before any contact is made.  How much do they get paid per game since I'm qualified?  I need some extra boot.
http://members.ahsaa.org/public/userfiles/AOA/AOA_SuggestedPayScale.pdf

Complete Biased PoV

I was able to watch a majority of the games at the tournament.  I was feeling really good about the officiating after the first two days....but as the tournament went on the officiating declined.  I know they have a rotation for doing games and keep them fresh, but it seems by the end they were mentally tired.

But I promise the first 2 days the officiating was the best I had seen all year, then by the end if was average at best.  And saying "Average" in Arkansas officiating isn't saying much.

Youngsta71701

Seems like the officiating gets worse every year!

Rulesman

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 18, 2014, 10:28:17 am
You are welcome to try your hand at it.
http://members.ahsaa.org/public/userfiles/AOA/AOA_Application_2013-2014.pdf
(2014-15 application should be available on another month or two).

Youngsta71701

March 19, 2014, 02:04:55 pm #20 Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 02:27:51 pm by Youngsta71701
Quote from: Rulesman on March 18, 2014, 10:38:11 am

You must be one of the ones that call a foul before contact is made, or wait until someone makes or misses the shot before you call a foul, or calls a foul on someone if they get too close to the ball handler, or breath on them too hard? I have done it before and its not as hard as they make it look. Now granted, its not as easy as it looks neither.

P.F.G.

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 19, 2014, 02:04:55 pm

You must be one of the ones that call a foul before contact is made, or wait until someone makes or misses the shot before you call a foul, or calls a foul on someone if they get too close to the ball handler, or breath on them too hard? I have done it before and its not as hard as they make it look. Now granted, its not as easy as it looks neither.

I'm sure the 3 years you spent calling boys club basketball makes you qualified.

Rulesman

MikeDieselâ„¢

I'll vouch for Rulesman.  I never had a problem with his games.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: P.F.G. on March 20, 2014, 07:54:53 am

I'm sure the 3 years you spent calling boys club basketball makes you qualified.

Did I say I was qualified?

Youngsta71701

March 21, 2014, 01:52:24 pm #25 Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 01:55:26 pm by Youngsta71701
Quote from: Rulesman on March 20, 2014, 08:12:13 am

I have done it before and its not as hard as they make it look. Now granted, its not as easy as it looks neither.
So which is it? ???

It's not hard and it's not easy. It's somewhere in between. Now I respect the ones that do it but the simple fact is that some of them are horrible at it and some of them are good just like everything else in life. Let's just be honest, call it like it is, and stop being so defensive.

Rayburn

March 24, 2014, 02:57:58 pm #26 Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 03:00:30 pm by Rayburn
Quote from: Complete Biased PoV on March 14, 2014, 03:54:18 pm
I was able to watch a majority of the games at the tournament.  I was feeling really good about the officiating after the first two days....but as the tournament went on the officiating declined.  I know they have a rotation for doing games and keep them fresh, but it seems by the end they were mentally tired.

But I promise the first 2 days the officiating was the best I had seen all year.

Are you talking about the 5A tournament in Alma? The first two days were horrendous, and then it got better. See my post above.

AT

I have to agree with Complete Biased PoV (har har). The officiating was great most of the time except for the Vilonia/Paragould girls game. That game was bad from what I heard. But I didn't see it myself.

Rulesman

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 21, 2014, 01:52:24 pm

I have done it before and its not as hard as they make it look. Now granted, its not as easy as it looks neither.
So which is it? ???

It's not hard and it's not easy. It's somewhere in between. Now I respect the ones that do it but the simple fact is that some of them are horrible at it and some of them are good just like everything else in life. Let's just be honest, call it like it is, and stop being so defensive.
Then quit talking out of both sides of your mouth. You sound just like a politician.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Rulesman on March 24, 2014, 08:53:02 pm
Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 21, 2014, 01:52:24 pm

So which is it? ???

Then quit talking out of both sides of your mouth. You sound just like a politician.

Some referees are good, some are average at best, while others are terrible. If that's talking out of both sides of my mouth then I guess that's exactly what I'm doing...Sorry...it is what it is...

Complete Biased PoV

Quote from: Rayburn on March 24, 2014, 02:57:58 pm

But I promise the first 2 days the officiating was the best I had seen all year.

Are you talking about the 5A tournament in Alma? The first two days were horrendous, and then it got better. See my post above.

Sorry it has taken me so long to answer this.  Yes, the 5A tournament in Alma.  Looking at a total foul count amongst games is comparing apples to oranges.  You have to look at how the consistency of each game was called.  As far as consistency, the first 2 days were much better than later in the tournament.  I don't care if you watched "almost the whole tournament", by doing so doesn't make you an expert on officiating.  I rather them call consistently and have long games than call inconsistently and finish a game in 50min and have an impact on the outcome of the game. 

Rayburn

Quote from: Complete Biased PoV on April 15, 2014, 05:28:37 pm
Quote from: Rayburn on March 24, 2014, 02:57:58 pm

Sorry it has taken me so long to answer this.  Yes, the 5A tournament in Alma.  Looking at a total foul count amongst games is comparing apples to oranges.  You have to look at how the consistency of each game was called.  As far as consistency, the first 2 days were much better than later in the tournament.  I don't care if you watched "almost the whole tournament", by doing so doesn't make you an expert on officiating.  I rather them call consistently and have long games than call inconsistently and finish a game in 50min and have an impact on the outcome of the game.
Sorry it took me this long to notice and read this response. I wish it had taken much much longer.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas