• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 talk

Started by Rob Van Winkle, December 16, 2017, 09:27:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Van Winkle

What is next year going to look like in the 7A? In the West I would say BVW is the favorite with FV right behind them. In the Central my guess is Bryant and NLR at the top.

Thoughts???

GRN R H-2 X-Deep Over

West was surprising in the regular season but disappointing their last two games. They probably do worse in the regular season next year with better postseason success.

I watched the title game on YouTube and man was I impressed by NLR's offense: easily my favorite team to watch in 7A with the diversity of presentation and unique schemes. Their quarterback impressed me a lot more than Bentonville's. Perhaps Bville's was a converted running back based on his jersey number?

My guess right now is NLR and West in the title game next year.

SouthpawSensation

Quote from: GRN R H-2 X-Deep Over on December 16, 2017, 03:05:23 pm
West was surprising in the regular season but disappointing their last two games. They probably do worse in the regular season next year with better postseason success.

I watched the title game on YouTube and man was I impressed by NLR's offense: easily my favorite team to watch in 7A with the diversity of presentation and unique schemes. Their quarterback impressed me a lot more than Bentonville's. Perhaps Bville's was a converted running back based on his jersey number?

My guess right now is NLR and West in the title game next year.

Bentonville's quarterback originally wore No. 5 when the season started, but he switched to No. 20 as a tribute to his teammate, a running back who suffered an injury before the season started and never returned.

TigerHawg

Got to see some depth at the end of the season for the Tigers. The QB was my big question mark but from the last two drives in the state champ game I think they will do fine in that position. Will be a competitive year for sure in both divisions. I think it will come down to who's team can stay the healthiest in the stretch.

businesstron

I'd say West and Fayetteville will be major contenders from the West.  Probably NLR and Bryant from the Central.  Bentonville could creep up into that conversation again  I think they have some good players coming back as well. 

I'm not sure where Harber goes though and I'm expecting there will be a dropoff at Conway.

Northside will probably be better but not a major contender though maybe 3rd or 4th place at best.

Maynard G Krebs

LR Central will win it all.  Scooter has been holding back and has a plan in place to run the table this year and then retire on top.

Brian G

The off season news is the apparent mass exodus of players from Har-Ber headed to Springdale.

In this case, it's more about players wanting out than another school recruiting them.

Not all a done deal yet, but when school starts back up it'll be clearer.

Walter

RZback

I heard that rumor, so it is true?  Kids wanting out of Har-Ber.  That to me would indicate HC issues.  Is that it? Also how to they change schools without moving residenences

Brian G

I believe most of the players involved plan to move residences.

RZback

Any scuttlebutt on why they are going?

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: B.G. on January 01, 2018, 02:00:22 pm
The off season news is the apparent mass exodus of players from Har-Ber headed to Springdale.

In this case, it's more about players wanting out than another school recruiting them.

Not all a done deal yet, but when school starts back up it'll be clearer.

They are officially enrolled and attending Springdale High School.

francocat

Wow, the opportunity to "move" in NW AR never ceases to amaze me. Don't like your school/coach, just say I'm moving. Mighty suspicious when there's more than one at a time doing it. Makes NLR look like mere amateurs.

Brian G

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on January 03, 2018, 12:48:29 pm
They are officially enrolled and attending Springdale High School.
I don't think there was ever a doubt.

One will transfer after basketball season.

beach bum

Quote from: francocat on January 03, 2018, 03:58:14 pm
Wow, the opportunity to "move" in NW AR never ceases to amaze me. Don't like your school/coach, just say I'm moving. Mighty suspicious when there's more than one at a time doing it. Makes NLR look like mere amateurs.

If coaches can leave at the drop of a hat for a better opportunity in life.... So should the kids. Sorry, but fair is fair.

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: B.G. on January 03, 2018, 04:27:26 pm
I don't think there was ever a doubt.

One will transfer after basketball season.
The hoops player is already there too. He decided to go ahead and get started.

francocat

Not sure what coaching moves apply in this situation, this isn't college. Families sometimes have to move for a new job, a personal situation, etc., but in those cases everybody packs up and moves many miles to their new town & it is an incredibly stressful event. This recruiting crap is nothing like that & getting a PO Box or acting like you moved in with Uncle Billy is just ridiculous. Sounds like all the transfers picked Springdale as their new school. Magical!

Rob Van Winkle

January 03, 2018, 05:09:59 pm #17 Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 05:12:31 pm by Rob Van Winkle
Quote from: francocat on January 03, 2018, 05:06:06 pm
Not sure what coaching moves apply in this situation, this isn't college. Families sometimes have to move for a new job, a personal situation, etc., but in those cases everybody packs up and moves many miles to their new town & it is an incredibly stressful event. This recruiting crap is nothing like that & getting a PO Box or acting like you moved in with Uncle Billy is just ridiculous. Sounds like all the transfers picked Springdale as their new school. Magical!

Why are you so mad about this? And there is a process they must go through to become eligible to participate in athletics.

francocat

Wouldn't classify it as "mad" just flabbergasted at the tilted advantages of being able to pick and choose who gets to stock up on players in NWA & LR. Keep me posted on the passing the "transfer process". If any or all are ruled ineligible, then I will gladly stand corrected.

Brian G

Quote from: francocat on January 03, 2018, 05:06:06 pm
I'm generally inclined to agree with the amount of "transfers" that occur and the shenanigans that can accompany such a move.

As I stated up front, this is not one of those cases.

RZback

Quote from: beach bum on January 03, 2018, 04:41:13 pm
If coaches can leave at the drop of a hat for a better opportunity in life.... So should the kids. Sorry, but fair is fair.

That same rational I quess applies to a double shot of whiskey.

Baitshop

No one at HarBer should say a word about "stealing" players or you must "live" in the district....

Many of us remember the blatant gerrymandering of the attendance lines by John Tyson when HarBer opened and he was trying to build a State Championship basketball team so that his son could get a ring....the lines would go down one street in a neighborhood to make sure that the right kid was in the HarBer district. It was obvious and intended.

Oh, and despite John Tyson's efforts they STILL didn't get the ring...karma's a biotch.

beach bum

Quote from: RZback on January 03, 2018, 08:51:46 pm
That same rational I quess applies to a double shot of whiskey.

Ummm.... No.

RZback

Kids just shouldn't be able to pick up and move, it would wreak havoc on school systems if a player could just go year after year to a new school because he got a better offer.  You go to school where you live, just the way it is.  Of course some folks don't have a belief in neighborhood schools. 

francocat

Just curious, what happens to the real Springdale players that have put in the work for their real school? Do you think they (& their parents) are all overjoyed with this new development? Where do they now transfer? Hey, here's an idea, Fayetteville is about to get reloaded with the offspring of the new Hog coaching/AD staff, hmmm. 

businesstron

What exactly happened to cause all these players to want to transfer?   I remember sitting with a couple of the players father at Harber's benefit game this year and they were pretty critical of the coaches and pointed out alot of the teams problems.   At that point i took it with grain of salt because Harber was the favorite to win it all and they looked okay beating Bixby.  But it turned out by the end of the season they were spot on the problems the team had.

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: francocat on January 04, 2018, 10:05:13 am
Just curious, what happens to the real Springdale players that have put in the work for their real school? Do you think they (& their parents) are all overjoyed with this new development? Where do they now transfer? Hey, here's an idea, Fayetteville is about to get reloaded with the offspring of the new Hog coaching/AD staff, hmmm.
They are probably going to keep working hard and not whine like you about the situation.

beach bum

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on January 04, 2018, 07:10:28 pm
They are probably going to keep working hard and not whine like you about the situation.

I nearly typed this word for word earlier so thank you for doing so...

francocat

That is rich! Hard not to notice that those on the tilted side of the field call out anyone not. While I'm continuing my whine, how about you insiders answering Businesstron's question, what happened?

Brian G

6 players have made the move.
5 more likely.

This is a reversal of the movement that normally occurs in Sdale.  Most flight has been toward Har-Ber over the years.

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: francocat on January 05, 2018, 11:07:04 am
That is rich! Hard not to notice that those on the tilted side of the field call out anyone not. While I'm continuing my whine, how about you insiders answering Businesstron's question, what happened?
Not calling you out, just stating that you seem to be more upset about this than those involved. The reception at SHS has been very positive. I am sure there are some that are not happy with it but that is part of life.

As for what happened, this board is not the place to discuss the details that led to these moves. It is better discussed over a cold one at a local tap room.

francocat

Fair enough RVW. I'm sure the SHS coaches are elated & the real players are in a rock-and-a-hard-place situation. The AAA & the entire 7A should be upset. As I have said, if anyone is required to sit out, then I stand corrected. Have a Happy New Year!

Old57

I don't know why AAA or 7A would be upset about this. Nobody was recruited and everything is being done by the rules. Nobody says anything about Harber basketball having a whole new roster every year. Also, just because a kid transfers from Harber to Springdale doesn't mean he will beat out the Springdale player. Springdale has gotten better every year under Clark and has some pretty good players returning.

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: Old57 on January 05, 2018, 07:54:51 pm
I don't know why AAA or 7A would be upset about this. Nobody was recruited and everything is being done by the rules. Nobody says anything about Harber basketball having a whole new roster every year. Also, just because a kid transfers from Harber to Springdale doesn't mean he will beat out the Springdale player. Springdale has gotten better every year under Clark and has some pretty good players returning.
The best post on this thread.

RZback

So these kids are moving from the Har-Ber district into the Sdale district?  Momma and Daddy moving, making a change of residence and taking junior with them? 

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: RZback on January 06, 2018, 07:03:04 pm
So these kids are moving from the Har-Ber district into the Sdale district?  Momma and Daddy moving, making a change of residence and taking junior with them?
None of the kids involved are named junior.

RZback

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on January 06, 2018, 08:41:30 pm
None of the kids involved are named junior.

Whatever their name may be, are they moving or transferring enrollment?

Rob Van Winkle

January 07, 2018, 07:04:56 pm #37 Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 06:26:26 am by Rob Van Winkle
Quote from: RZback on January 07, 2018, 06:38:18 pm
Whatever their name may be, are they moving or transferring enrollment?
Just curious as to why everyone is suddenly concerned with this transfer? No one asked any questions last year when several players left LR schools and wound up at LR Parkview or when players have left Springdale High to attend Harber in multiple sports over the past few years. Why is everyone so concerned on whether or not they are changing residence?

As for question regarding transferring enrollment or moving???? Stay tuned.....

theoleballcoach

Didn't you know? It is okay for kids to move from Springdale to Har-Ber. Just not the other way around.

RZback

Quote from: theoleballcoach on January 07, 2018, 09:48:41 pm
Didn't you know? It is okay for kids to move from Springdale to Har-Ber. Just not the other way around.

Yeah it's a conspiracy.  Really its just idle curiousity.  Har-Ber's been pretty good, expected to be state champs this past season and they didn't do as well as many thought they would.  So, just wondering if there is a noticable issue or just itchy feet.  Plus, I thought you had to move residence of sit a year.

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: RZback on January 08, 2018, 08:30:32 am
Yeah it's a conspiracy.  Really its just idle curiousity.  Har-Ber's been pretty good, expected to be state champs this past season and they didn't do as well as many thought they would.  So, just wondering if there is a noticable issue or just itchy feet.  Plus, I thought you had to move residence of sit a year.
Fair enough.

It is more than just itchy feet and I will just leave it at that. As for eligibility, moving residence is the simplest and cleanest way to become eligible. Although there have been exceptions made in the past all around the state depending on the individuals student/athlete situation.

francocat

Quote from: Old57 on January 05, 2018, 07:54:51 pm

You have kind of inadvertently made my point for me:
1) Somebody should say something if Harber basketball is reloading each year.
2) I agree that Harber players are not guaranteed to beat out the Springdale players. But I doubt anyone is transferring to sit. Depth in the 7A is critical & if Springdale has gotten better under Clark, then they should shine with 11 new regulars.

As for why no one questioned the LR transfers: Why? Because no one outside of the situation is aware of what is happening until it goes down. So fly under the radar! There is one important similarity, both Springdale & LR have only one school board that has to bless the transfers. I am not naïve and firmly believe everyone should look after their own, but no one can convince me that something wasn't pre-arranged here.   

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: francocat on January 08, 2018, 10:51:24 am
You have kind of inadvertently made my point for me:
1) Somebody should say something if Harber basketball is reloading each year.
2) I agree that Harber players are not guaranteed to beat out the Springdale players. But I doubt anyone is transferring to sit. Depth in the 7A is critical & if Springdale has gotten better under Clark, then they should shine with 11 new regulars.

As for why no one questioned the LR transfers: Why? Because no one outside of the situation is aware of what is happening until it goes down. So fly under the radar! There is one important similarity, both Springdale & LR have only one school board that has to bless the transfers. I am not naïve and firmly believe everyone should look after their own, but no one can convince me that something wasn't pre-arranged here.   

If you honestly think something was prearranged then I can tell you for a fact that you are wrong. No need to fly under the radar when you aren't trying to be sneaky and hide things. Thats the difference between cheating and making a move that is all involved feel like is the right thing to do. As a matter of fact these kids faced up to their former coaches at Harber and told them in person of their intent to leave the program well before the end of the semester. I guarantee other 17 year old kids in similar situations did not do the same.

In reality all of the kids involved are more than likely going to have to change residence in order to be eligible. The kids and parents all knew that when the decision was made and all are prepared to make moves if that's what it takes. So for that reason there is no need to fly under the radar and nothing was prearranged, contrary to what your narrow minded opinion is.

You are right about these kids not transferring to sit. As a matter of fact 4 of them were starters at Harber over the past 2 years. Did you know that or would that matter to you Franco?

So cheaters will cheat and you do not need to classify this situation in with any other schools who actively recruit and we all know who they are. Feel free to continue to throw your 2 cents in and perhaps you will become more educated about what is going on outside of your small world.

francocat

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on January 08, 2018, 12:10:05 pm
If you honestly think something was prearranged then I can tell you for a fact that you are wrong. No need to fly under the radar when you aren't trying to be sneaky and hide things. Thats the difference between cheating and making a move that is all involved feel like is the right thing to do. As a matter of fact these kids faced up to their former coaches at Harber and told them in person of their intent to leave the program well before the end of the semester. I guarantee other 17 year old kids in similar situations did not do the same.

In reality all of the kids involved are more than likely going to have to change residence in order to be eligible. The kids and parents all knew that when the decision was made and all are prepared to make moves if that's what it takes. So for that reason there is no need to fly under the radar and nothing was prearranged, contrary to what your narrow minded opinion is.

You are right about these kids not transferring to sit. As a matter of fact 4 of them were starters at Harber over the past 2 years. Did you know that or would that matter to you Franco?

So cheaters will cheat and you do not need to classify this situation in with any other schools who actively recruit and we all know who they are. Feel free to continue to throw your 2 cents in and perhaps you will become more educated about what is going on outside of your small world.

Flying under the radar does not necessarily have to be blatant cheating, just not advertising the situation, like on this forum. Quite obviously, the usual suspects are quite known. I had no previous knowledge of this until I read it here & I have learned a lot. And I'm not surprised that the players told the coaches their intentions (& BTW, it was pretty obvious that they were contributors and that they would not be going to sit. I said as much). But I am surprised that in my narrow minded small world, I am supposed to believe that the players individually decided where ALL would transfer together & that not one person said anything to anyone at Springdale prior. I wish no one any ill-will and sincerely believe what I said, everyone should take care of their own. I would just hate to see all high school athletics turn into an AAU basketball mentality where it's no holds barred.

Rob Van Winkle

January 08, 2018, 02:02:55 pm #44 Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 04:49:10 pm by Rob Van Winkle
Quote from: francocat on January 08, 2018, 01:35:35 pm
Flying under the radar does not necessarily have to be blatant cheating, just not advertising the situation, like on this forum. Quite obviously, the usual suspects are quite known. I had no previous knowledge of this until I read it here & I have learned a lot. And I'm not surprised that the players told the coaches their intentions (& BTW, it was pretty obvious that they were contributors and that they would not be going to sit. I said as much). But I am surprised that in my narrow minded small world, I am supposed to believe that the players individually decided where ALL would transfer together & that not one person said anything to anyone at Springdale prior. I wish no one any ill-will and sincerely believe what I said, everyone should take care of their own. I would just hate to see all high school athletics turn into an AAU basketball mentality where it's no holds barred.
Believe it or not these players met together on their own and decided what to do. They have played together in multiple sports since they were in he 1st grade so they are a close knit group. For various reasons they wanted to move to SHS together and stay together.

So yes I expect you to believe that there was nothing illegal done from a recruiting standpoint and that this group of kids made an adult decision as a group on what they collectively wanted to do. Believe it or not there are kids who are pretty responsible and have the ability to decide what they want to do without having parents hold their hand. And there are parents who empower their kids to make decisions and understand the potential risks and consequences involved.

Think what you want, and look all you want but there is no smoking gun in this instance. Someone stated earlier in this thread that it wasn't so much about wanting to go somewhere but more about wanting to leave.

RZback

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on January 08, 2018, 09:12:39 am
Fair enough.

It is more than just itchy feet and I will just leave it at that. As for eligibility, moving residence is the simplest and cleanest way to become eligible. Although there have been exceptions made in the past all around the state depending on the individuals student/athlete situation.

I've seen a few of those "special" exceptions made in the past.  Rules should be closely monitored but unfortunately, "rules are made to be broken".

RZback

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on January 08, 2018, 02:02:55 pm
Believe it or not these players met together on their own and decided what to do. They have played together in multiple sports since they were in he 1st grade so they are a close knit group. For various reasons they wanted to move to SHS together and stay together.

So yes I expect you to believe that there was nothing illegal done from a recruiting standpoint and that this group of kids made an adult decision as a group on what they collectively wanted to do. Believe it or not there are kids who are pretty responsible and have the ability to decide what they want to do without having parents hold their hand. And there are parents who empower their kids to make decisions and understand the potential risks and consequences involved.

Think what you want, and look all you want but there is no smoking gun in this instance. Someone stated earlier in this thread that it wasn't so much about wanting to go somewhere but more about wanting to leave.

This explanation just sounds odd.  A fairly large group of Har-Ber athletes just happen to get together all on their own and decided it was in each of their own best interest to transfer schools.  Well, did they just decide to get mom and dad to move out of one district and into another because I believe that is still the rule you must make a bonafide move into the new district. That sounds strange.  How many kids is it up to, I heard between 11 and 17.  So possibly that many families are moving?

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: RZback on January 08, 2018, 06:33:05 pm
This explanation just sounds odd.  A fairly large group of Har-Ber athletes just happen to get together all on their own and decided it was in each of their own best interest to transfer schools.  Well, did they just decide to get mom and dad to move out of one district and into another because I believe that is still the rule you must make a bonafide move into the new district. That sounds strange.  How many kids is it up to, I heard between 11 and 17.  So possibly that many families are moving?

Doesn't matter whether you think it sounds odd or not; it's the truth. Only 6 kids have made the move for SHS at this time and I have no idea if any others are making the move.

Keep trying to think there is something else going on. It makes me laugh. Ask yourself one question. Why do people, kids are adults, decide to make a change in their life? I will let you answer that yourself.

RZback

Just saying, not that many families sell a house and move to make kids happy.  But, maybe so.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on January 07, 2018, 07:04:56 pm
Just curious as to why everyone is suddenly concerned with this transfer? No one asked any questions last year when several players left LR schools and wound up at LR Parkview or when players have left Springdale High to attend Harber in multiple sports over the past few years. Why is everyone so concerned on whether or not they are changing residence?

As for question regarding transferring enrollment or moving???? Stay tuned.....
I'm concerned about this kind of thing wherever it happens.  The AAA should crack down in a serious way.  The free agent attitude of high school players has become ridiculous.  And further enhancing this attitude of entitlement that too many teenagers have.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas