• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

COACH WOOD

Started by TheReal_Deal24, November 26, 2008, 02:17:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Billyo62

Quote from: olddog79 on December 04, 2008, 12:56:56 pm
Quote from: 7AFBFAN on December 04, 2008, 12:48:50 pm
Madgun, Gus is a god in Springdale. Anything associated with Springdale is a god in Springdale.
Well respected...yes. A god...no. We don't use that word lightly.

Gus will jump ship every 3 years or less ...Ladder climber!

olddog79

Quote from: Billyo62 on December 04, 2008, 01:00:47 pm
Madgun, Gus is a god in Springdale. Anything associated with Springdale is a god in Springdale.

Is a Ladder Climber a bad thing in your eyes?

7AFBFAN

I was referring to gods, you know - money, football coaches, schools, etc.

Gus is definitely well respected in Arkansas in general, he is a great guy but definitely too humble to be associated with a lot that I see on here.

Billyo62

Quote from: olddog79 on December 04, 2008, 01:02:13 pm
Quote from: Billyo62 on December 04, 2008, 01:00:47 pm

Is a Ladder Climber a bad thing in your eyes?

I wouldn't hire him if I thought he would probably leave in the next 2 years.

That's never good for ANY Program at ANY Level.

Can't blame the guy for moving up... just don't like the short term pattern he has had recently, I think he will make one more short term move and fizzle out somewhere!

Madgun

Quote from: NWAfootball on December 04, 2008, 12:47:06 pm
To answer your question yes the Capital One Bowl is a better bowl than the Cotton Bowl.

I don't know if I agree with that.  Capital One would have rather had Florida for sure.  Cotton wants the Hogs.  Hogs played a higher-ranked opponent, though the Wolverines finished strong.  It's hard for me to say that Capital One is more desirable.  Just opinion.

TheReal_Deal24

he will make a jump to a higher conference and become a big time coach.

7AFBFAN

The more legit teams they play at Tulsa the less likely Gus will be able to realize his potential in his next coaching move. If he is coaching a team with equal talent levels of the opponent he will shine, when he has to step up and play against teams with much better talent it hurts his chances for the next level. So, I think he needs to make a move soon as an SEC coordinator and then try the head coaching ranks. Right now his potential as a head coach is somewhere like Arkansas State at best. Just my opinion.

Billyo62

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on December 04, 2008, 01:12:52 pm
The more legit teams they play at Tulsa the less likely Gus will be able to realize his potential in his next coaching move. If he is coaching a team with equal talent levels of the opponent he will shine, when he has to step up and play against teams with much better talent it hurts his chances for the next level. So, I think he needs to make a move soon as an SEC coordinator and then try the head coaching ranks. Right now his potential as a head coach is somewhere like Arkansas State at best. Just my opinion.

He won't be a head coach until he can show that he can recruit, and I don't mean from the high he just left and all those players leave that school in two years!

raisingkane

i don't necessarily think gus is a bad coach.as a matter of fact i think he's a good coach.
but those 5 D-1 guys sure did help his name out a lot. i just don't think he's what some people make him out to be.

athletic supporter

Quote from: 479BOYZ on December 04, 2008, 12:17:55 pm
he will be dangerous in the SEC just looks at the hogs after he left. they had a terrible year and got blasted in the cotton bowl.

The high powered offense he took to the Citrus Bowl while he was the OC here only managed 14 points. They got blasted in the Cotton Bowl by a dang good Mizzou team after our HC debacle went down last year not because Gus wasn't here.

NWAfootball

Gus Malzahn makes a MAJOR difference at EVERY school he has coached at from being the Head Coach at Hughes High School to being the Offensive Coordinator for the Tulsa Golden Hurricane and that will continue to happen wherever he coaches. Even in the SEC. The guy is an offensive genius and surrounds himself with the right coaches to win in any situation.

Billyo62

Quote from: NWAfootball on December 04, 2008, 03:28:00 pm
Gus Malzahn makes a MAJOR difference at EVERY school he has coached at from being the Head Coach at Hughes High School to being the Offensive Coordinator for the Tulsa Golden Hurricane and that will continue to happen wherever he coaches. Even in the SEC. The guy is an offensive genius and surrounds himself with the right coaches to win in any situation.

Not at Arkansas , he was a Cancer!  was that all his fault...who knows!

athletic supporter

Excuse me! He is the Co- Offensive Coordinator of the Golden Hurricane. I think there is a reason he wasn't given the full reins and named the OC by himself.

NWAfootball

They run Malzahn's offense and he does ALL the playcalling. He is THE offensive coordinator. The other guy just coaches the offensive line. Oh yeah and the one year he was at Arkansas the Hogs won more games in a season than they had in 10 years. We saw how great the Wildcat formation worked after Malzahn left.

Mulerider

Quote from: Billyo62 on December 04, 2008, 03:35:35 pm

Not at Arkansas , he was a Cancer!  was that all his fault...who knows!

Are any of the cry babies from that vaunted class at Springdale High still at the U of A?  That was a friggin circus.  Hiring Malzahn was the worst mistake Arkansas ever made.

raisingkane

looked like it worked pretty well when the talent was there to run it.
they took the starting job away from gus's boy because he couldn't cut it.
there's a reason he was only there for one year.

NWAfootball

When the talent was there to run it? Arkansas had the same guys in 2006 as they had in 2005. The difference is that Malzahn wasnt making the playcalls. I guess Mustain can "CUT IT" enough for USC to give him a full ride. I dont think Arkansas State would give Casey Dick a scholarship if he would have decided to leave the U of A. By the way Damian Williams seems to be "CUTTING IT" just fine at USC! But then again he had trouble dropping balls and couldnt get off the line of scrimmage at Arkansas! HA :-D

Ballfan2

I totally disagree about Gus and the Hogs.  Houston Nutt was mad b/c they made him hire Gus, so I think he pulled Mustain to show Gus that he (Nutt) was still in charge.   I think the biggest mistake was keeping Nutt and losing Mustain, Williams and Gus.  Just think what we might have done last year with Mustain and Williams pulling some of the coverage off of McFadden and Jones.

It is a travesty that we have had such pitiful QBing (sorry Casey - you are a great kid, but ...) while Mustain is out there and Kodi Burns is at Auburn - 2 Arkansas kids that Nutt let get away.  You can say all you want to about Mustain's ego etc.  but don't forget he was just an 18 year old kid.  How many 17-18 year-old kids wouldn't get a little full of themselves with all the attention Mustain got and with his mom and all those Springdale people pumping him full of himself.  He was a kid caught in the middle of a bunch of big boys with even Bigger egos.  He was treated terribly and Nutt is a blow hard.  I get tired of the Springdale smack - but I am totally with them on this one.  Damien Williams is amazing and he was amazing in HS and we should have done anything to keep him!  IMO, of course.

raisingkane

i'm pretty sure your boy mustain hasn't seen much playing time this year, and won't.
damian is doing good.
my point was that they executed the wildcat/wildhog whatever you call it, just as good without malzahn. easily just as good.

NWAfootball

What team were you watching?? The Wildcat formation did not work near as well in 2006 as it did in 2005. Anybody that watched the Hogs both years will tell you that.

raisingkane

although, let me say, i still blame his mom for a LOT of things that happened in that entire situation

Iknewthemwhen

I have said this many times, you simply cannot claim MM is that great as a college player because his stats will not back it up.  CD had just as good a year if you look at the stats and now is one of the better QB's in UA history if you look at stats.   MM played OK, weaker teams and still struggled to put up big numbers.  Now he is a backup at USC, and not proving his superstar hype there.   If it changes in the future I'll be happy to say so.

NWAfootball

The only stat that matters to me.... 8-0.... Also Mustains numbers as a true freshmen at Arkansas were better than Matt Stafford's at Georgia or Ryan Mallett's at Michigan.

raisingkane

btw. NWA. i'm pretty sure he's not on a full ride at USC.
the only "ride" he has is on the pine.
schools like USC dont spend that kind of money on a guy and let him sit.

7AFBFAN

Like I said guys anything Springdale is a god to anyone from Springdale. You only have to scroll up on this page to understand it. This kid is arguing against the state he lives and supposedly the football program he supports to try and make GUS, MITCH, and DAMIEN look better. Just admit they are the greatest and he will go away.

NWAfootball

Mustain is on football scholarship at USC. He is the second string QB behind a guy named Mark Sanchez. Maybe youve heard of him? He's kinda good. :-)

raisingkane

looks to me like he's behind a FRESHMAN on the depth chart...
aaron corp.
maybe you've heard of him. he's kinda good :-)
in case you can't count. thats makes him thrid (3) string.
thats... two (2) guys in front of him.

7AFBFAN

I believe the top QB in the country is headed to USC. Mitch will be the practice guy for the remainder of his college career.

raisingkane

he had his chance.
when sanchez dislocated his knee.
they were still going to start corp over him.

NWAfootball

The first time but the second time Sanchez got hurt Mustain was going to start. You obviously dont watch any USC games if you dont think Mustain is the second string QB. As far as Barclay coming to USC that doesnt really matter considering ever QB at USC including Mustain was a top 5 QB out of high school. Mustain will be the starting QB as a senior. He nearly beat out Sanchez for the starting job this season. Pete Carroll said he decided to go with Sanchez because he was more familiar with the offense.

raisingkane

Quote from: NWAfootball on December 04, 2008, 05:22:35 pm
The first time but the second time Sanchez got hurt Mustain was going to start. You obviously dont watch any USC games if you dont think Mustain is the second string QB. As far as Barclay coming to USC that doesnt really matter considering ever QB at USC including Mustain was a top 5 QB out of high school. Mustain will be the starting QB as a senior. He nearly beat out Sanchez for the starting job this season. Pete Carroll said he decided to go with Sanchez because he was more familiar with the offense.

my question to you, my friend, is did he start?
well...?
and this freshman QB they have coming in will play over him.
he already got beat out by a freshman, proving it can be done.
but hey, look on the bright side, he could win the "service team offensive player of the year" award again on  the scout team. haha

NWAfootball

I guess you know more than Pete Carroll. Probably not.

raisingkane

December 04, 2008, 05:30:48 pm #132 Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 05:33:06 pm by raisingkane
are you pete carroll?
you must be best buds with him. right?

NWAfootball

Pete Carroll doesnt give scholarships to USC to just anybody... He also doesnt say publicly that Mustain almost won the starting job this year if it wasnt true. You hardcore Nutthugger Razorback fans are just mad the biggest recruit in school history peaced out on you to go to USC.

raisingkane

December 04, 2008, 05:43:12 pm #134 Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 05:45:19 pm by raisingkane
1. i cannot stand Mr. Nutt.
2. you're correct. he doesn't give scholarships to just anyone. i never said he didn't have a scholarship. you used the words "full ride" and i said he DID NOT have a full ride.  full ride are big words at a D1 school like USC.
3. he may have been the biggest recruit in history. but i think he's up there with the top 3 biggest busts in school history. yes, he has an 8-0 record. thats as a starter. he started 8 games that the rest of the team, (mcfadden and jones, to name two) saved his butt in.
mitch mustain had 1 less interception than he did touchdown pass in his 1 season at UofA. not very good numbers.

NWAfootball

A football scholarship to a D1 school is a full ride. I love talking to people who are so uninformed like yourself. Go look up Matt Stafford's freshmen year stats at Georgia and get back to me. :-D

raisingkane

no. a football scholarship is NOT a full ride.
they do partial scholarships to play football all of the time.
they are allowed to do so if another player is splitting a scholarship between two sports.

NWAfootball

That is D2 and lower.... Sorry D1 doesnt give partial football scholarships. Know what your talking about before you post.

raisingkane

December 04, 2008, 05:58:57 pm #138 Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 06:01:42 pm by raisingkane
NWA 1
Kane 1
good call.
baseball is allowed to split. i assumed it was so for football

but again. tell me how many TD's did mustain have in his 8-0 season?
interceptions?  carroll knows that. after all, he's a smart guy.
if the UofA had wanted mustain THAT bad, they would have tried a tad harder to keep him, dont ya think?

NWAfootball

Like I said do me a favor and post Mathew Stafford's freshmen year stats vs Mitch Mustain's freshmen year stats. And yes I do think Arkansas would be that dumb considering Nutt was the head coach and basically ended up getting fired over the Mustain ordeal.

ARDA2

BTW since this thread has noyjing to do with coach Wood but rather USC...

Anyone know what's up with Broderick Green?

NWAfootball

Green announced he will be transferring to Arkansas.

Quote from: NWAfootball on December 04, 2008, 06:29:40 pm
Green announced he will be transferring to Arkansas.
will he be eligible to play next fall or does he have to petition the ncaa to play?

Iknewthemwhen

If you are rating him based on being 8-0 then you know little that makes him a good player.  Those games were won by the running game not the QB.  Those teams were the weakest part of the UA schedule.  Is he a good college qb or not, that's all I care about.

NWAfootball

Is Ryan Mallett a good QB?

Quote from: NWAfootball on December 04, 2008, 06:49:08 pm
Is Ryan Mallett a good QB?
i don't think we will know until he suits up in a game next year, if he even gets the job.

HSFBF

;)
Keep in mind gentlemen, that 8th game Mitch got credit for starting and being a "win" for him as a starter, he ONLY played that one first series, threw the interception and NEVER played another down. Actually, Dick was the QB who played virtually the whole game I think.
  And, Nutt was just looking for a reason to show Mr. Mustain who was boss after having read THE BOOK and reading what MM said about him. Nutt NEVER forgot that and we see how an immature adult can lower himself to an immature high school/Freshman college student.. Nutt deserved what MM said about him, based on his "used car salesman" antics on and off the field. But, MM does have an ego, fired and fueled by his mom. Seems like another USC QB I heard of went to the PROs and is starting and did NOT play a down at USC. Maybe someone in the PROs will know MM has an arm..... etc.. yea, right!  ;)

spoof1530

Mitch Mustain will not start next year because he does not have the talent to be the starter. If you want to know a lot of behind the scenes info on Mustain, you need only to talk with Broderick. I seriously doubt that Mustain will be drafted in the pro's, as he does not have the arm strength he needs.

SC-RAZOR

I'll try and call Chris tomorrow and get a real answer.

TheReal_Deal24

Mitch will start next year IF Mark Sanchez goes pro this year. There is no way a freshman will start over him. Mitch had to learn the offense his first year which sanchez had already learned and gave him a leg up. Mitch will be the next starting QB at USC. Oh like someone said Matt Cassell I think he rode the pine to at USC i think he is doing fine now. One more thing Mitch doesn't have the arm strength hahahaha thats funny.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas