• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 - 5A FINAL MONEY POLL

Started by 3 Dollar, May 20, 2014, 06:02:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

3 Dollar

May 20, 2014, 06:02:34 am Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 08:10:28 pm by 3 Dollar
1...White Hall
2...Vilonia
3...Paragould
4...Greene County Tech
5...DeQueen
6...Alma
7...Magnolia
8...Sylvan Hills
9...Beebe
10..Greenbrier

???

Forrest City H

Lionheart88

So the two time defending champs are underdogs.  lol, I'm sure they'll enjoy that.

Casual Observer

OK, here's my stab at this:

1.  Vilonia - Great pitching, good hitting, great outfield defense
2.  White Hall - until they're knocked off the perch, they deserve to be there.
3.  Paragould - very good team
4.  GCT - good team - good draw for the tourney
5.  Beebe - clearly the next best team - overlooked Alma
6.  Batesville - great hitting team - 2nd in record book for a season in home runs - drew Vilonia first game and lost 3-1.
7.  Greenbrier - Intense speed at the top of their order and a good team
8.  Alma - Beat Beebe in the first round
9.  Sylvan Hills - The only 5A Central team in the tourney to score a run - they scored 1 in two games.
10.  DeQueen - Played a poor team first round and then shut out by Paragould.  Ranked here based on their finish in the south.

It's hard to rank teams and I would challenge others to do so.  It was clear that the south would do well in the first round matched against the central because the central was so weak.  The south was blown out in the second round (except for White Hall).  The east and west destroyed each other in the first round and clearly, to me, have the majority of strength in the 5A.  White Hall would be the obvious exception to this even though their road to the finals has been the easiest by far.  They are a good team and deserve to be there. 

The Central will see what the East has when Beebe moves there next season.  I predict that Beebe will easily be undefeated next season in the central.

Having watched the tourney and seen the teams...those are my rankings.

gamecocks8584

Good teams don't overlook teams in the state tournament.  If Beebe would have played Sylvan Hills they wouldn't have scored the one run they scored.

DQSB

May 20, 2014, 05:45:25 pm #5 Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 06:29:00 pm by DQSB
To say De Queen finishing 2nd in the South is their only claim to a good season is a little bit of a sleight. They had quality non conference wins over Nashville, Lake Hamilton, and some ranked smaller schools. Taking away the first week of the season when 5 starters were still in basketball state playoffs, 4 of 5 losses came to Mena, White Hall (2X), and Paragould.

As for being shutout by Paragould, they also shutout Beebe twice and Greene Co Tech once. Sylvan Hills was lucky to get past Watson Chapel, the South 4th seed which De Queen beat twice.  Did they perform well against Paragould? Absolutley not, but that doesn't take away from a quality season as a whole. They performed pretty well for a team with 7 freshmen in the lineup, and I believe they will continue to improve over the next four years. Say what you will, but the South did run rule those weaker teams and put 3 teams in the quarters, narrowly missing a sweep of the Central had Watson Chapel put away Sylvan Hills.

Casual Observer

I never said that finishing 2nd in the south is their only claim to a good season.  I said that I ranked them their based on their finish in the south (a show of respect.)  The beauty of these polls is that they are meaningless and my poll, like the person who started this thread, was an attempt at a friendly discussion getting other people to post their own polls.

I stand by mine.  I believe that if the East or West had been matched up with the central they would have swept them as well.  I'm only saying that MY OPINION is that the central was down this year.  The writer that said Beebe would not have scored had they played Sylvan Hills is, in my opinion, in error, but that will be settled next year when Beebe moves into their conference and they get to play them twice.

I put DeQueen in the poll as a respectful sign and you took it as an offense.  I do think, if rankings counted and mattered, that's about where they would land.  I live in Little Rock and get to see some of the teams play.  Batesville was my dark horse for this tournament because they hit 24+ home runs as a team, are very young, and took Paragould to extra innings. The split two one-run games with GCT in Paragould, and lost to Vilonia twice by a total of three runs.  I know they're a good team, yet they played Vilonia first and were knocked out.  Beebe, whom I have respect for but no ties to, has a Division 1 pitcher and anyone will have trouble scoring on her.  She has speed, movement, and placement.

Therefore, the beauty of an opinion poll is just that.  It's your opinion and it means nothing at all.  That said, I studied the teams at the state tournament and that's my poll.  I wish DeQueen the very best as they continue a climb in the state with their young team.

Vteagle

Go v-town Eagles, rule the diamond!!

grizzone

The central was very week this year but everyone seems to forget about the great senior pitcher Sylvan Hills had. Sylvan Hills just didn't give her any run support, had they given her a few runs things may have been different. True, they only scored 1 but only gave up 1 also. She is one of those pitchers that on any given day could shut anyone down. SH started 3 seniors, 1 junior, 1 sophomore & 4 freshman. All that being said I believe the 2 best teams in the tournament made it to the Finals and it should be a great game. Both teams hit the ball well and play great defense with good pitching staffs.

Lionheart88

For any who haven't heard: White Hall won 7-3.  Sending their seniors out on their third state title in three years.  And this team is only losing three starters (C, 1B, 2B).

InYoGrill

Congrats to White Hall, especially 3 in a row, wow! Now that's quite a powerhouse and with so many underclass they should be on top for years to come.

Many congrats to Vilonia girls and Coach. My son's cousin was the starting catcher for years and a SR. Those girls battled so hard all year. Their cousin lost everything from the tornado but hey the softball community support from all over the state was unbelievable!! They helped her and her family so much. TY!!  Keep your heads up girls, you served yourselves and the town very well and proud!!! Till next year....

Casual Observer

Congrats to White Hall.  Great job and great season.  Enjoy your accomplishments!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas