• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

arkansas democrat

Started by mdctb123, January 06, 2008, 09:56:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mdctb123

I know that football is popular in arkansas and I support our local teams in central arkansas. But, the democrats coverage of high scool basketball in arkansas is awful.   There are a lot more towns and communties that don't have football where basketball is it.  You add girls and boys together and there are more kids  in the state that are on  basketball teams than football.  I think that tim cooper and wally hall need to be emailed on a consistent basis until this changes.  they haven't had a top ten poll for all classifications and there is only 5 weeks left until district.  there isn't even an article on anybody in todays Sunday edition.

fredthompson

I agree 100%. Have they had any polls or did I miss them...You are right on!

OlGuyWicker

The coverage of all of the old AIC schools, most of which are in the Gulf South also is very week, and has been since Steve East left years ago.  Of course back then there was 2 newspapaers and people had a choice.  The quality of the Democrap has went down hill since the Gazzette went belly up. 

fredthompson

Good point, but it could be changed with enough noise...

motivate

I agree... I have seen coverage on LR teams and some bigger tournaments in state. That is about it for high school basketball. Years ago they would have a top ten per classification in the paper. I have not seen anything yet..

ballin08

they havent posted anything yet. its really disappointing too. its like everyone is so overcome with football ( season is over) that us high school basketball players are left out. They have never waited this long to put out the rankings.

scv

Wally Hall is all about his softball tournament. There's no room apparently for high school basketball. Their coverage is limited to Little Rock it seems. It's not near as comprehensive as it used to be. They've got some good reporters, but it seems the admin gurus like Hall are just plain lazy because they don't have anyone else to challenge them. Coverage of basketball sucks and that's too bad for everyone but the fat-cats.

CACKY

The Downtown TipOff Club is trying really hard to showcase basketball throughout the state.  We have some great speakers and honor a boy and girl player of the week each Monday.  If you have outstanding players in your area, please encourage their coach to nominate them.  All high school coaches received a nomination packet in the mail and should be familiar with our club.  We are striving to make this a state-wide, all classification program.  Maybe through our efforts and emails and message boards, we can get the Demo-zette to step up their coverage!!  Let's hope so!

fredthompson

philgoodallday

Check out GameFace magazine if you are in NE Arkansas.  They have good articles on local players of all sports (and not just for their athletic abilities), and they seem to write those good articles on "good" kids.  They are in the building process, but the magazine should become a stable source of NEA sports with enough support.

No, I don't work for GameFace, but I know the guys that run it.  They are trying to make a quality magazine and I think it's nice to have a magazine that features both big and small schools alike.

neoman77

Does Gameface cover any central AR basketball teams?

CoachJ

Quote from: neoman77 on January 20, 2008, 10:06:38 am
Does Gameface cover any central AR basketball teams?

GameFace covers Northeast Arkansas and does a great job. 

scv

If they want to expand they might talk to some of these sports writers in central arkansas. I bet we'd be willing to help out!!!

neoman77

what is Tim Cooper's email address & Wally Hall's email address so we can swamp them with emails to improve coverage of high school basketball?

SouthpawSensation

That would be for Wally ... whall@arkansasonline.com
And for Tim ... tcooper@arkansasonline.com
If you want more to send, here's where you can get all the e-mails:
http://www2.arkansasonline.com/tools/newspapercontacts/

parpar

To paraphrase an old Southwestern Bell commercial -

They may be the only daily newspaper in town, and they act like it.  Oh, for the gold old days of dueling newspapers.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas