• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Non Conf strategy?

Started by RabidWolf, September 16, 2014, 09:16:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RabidWolf

What's your thoughts on the strategy behind scheduling Non Conf games? I understand some are traditional rivals that are played every year. But some schools schedule 3 "confidence boosters" and some schools schedule 3 real challenges. Which is better?

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: RabidWolf on September 16, 2014, 09:16:28 am
What's your thoughts on the strategy behind scheduling Non Conf games? I understand some are traditional rivals that are played every year. But some schools schedule 3 "confidence boosters" and some schools schedule 3 real challenges. Which is better?

A soft opener, tough game for week two, and a polishing game for week three to fix any problems or heal any injuries from week 2.  That is ideal but it is very hard to do.  If you are a nobody program than nonconference games are easy to schedule.  Develop a good program and its harder to find teams that want to play you. 

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: RabidWolf on September 16, 2014, 09:16:28 am
a combination of the two in a perfect world. schools with tradition have teouble getting games and don't have a lot of choices.

Proud Buckaroo

Smackover has always scheduled easy opponents. This year they really beefed up the non-conference schedule. I think having tough opponents helps a team to improve.

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on September 16, 2014, 10:03:20 am
Smackover has always scheduled easy opponents. This year they really beefed up the non-conference schedule. I think having tough opponents helps a team to improve.

I agree.  The beefier the better.  As long as it isnt so beefy that it ruins a teams confidence or gets kids hurt.

HorseCollar

As long as you don't have injuries, I would much rather lose a tough game early than blow out a team. We are better off this year having lost to JC than beating west yell county by 60.

Proud Buckaroo

Hootie

I think playing quality opponents in the non conference gives the players experience of how to respond to adversity once conference starts. Pounding on weaker teams isn't that beneficial in my opinion.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: HorseCollar on September 16, 2014, 11:00:39 am
As long as you don't have injuries, I would much rather lose a tough game early than blow out a team. We are better off this year having lost to JC than beating west yell county by 60.
this was my point in the top 10 thread.

FBfan79

In 2011 and 12,  FL had Harding, Booneville, and 5A Lakeside as their non-conf schedule.  Both years they entered the playoffs 6-4 with losses to these teams.  Regardless,  FL made the semifinals both years.  I say bring on a tough nonconf.

LCC

Smackover beefed up the non conference schedule? With Junction, yes. Not so much with Gurdon and Lafayette. They drummed Gurdon and are picked by 38 over Lafayette. I know Gurdon is a little down this year, but Lafayette is terrible.

owl84

I like our non-conference schedule.  It's tough and gets us ready for the conference season.  My son likes playing tough teams to get ready for conference. 

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: LCC on September 16, 2014, 08:06:51 pm
Smackover beefed up the non conference schedule? With Junction, yes. Not so much with Gurdon and Lafayette. They drummed Gurdon and are picked by 38 over Lafayette. I know Gurdon is a little down this year, but Lafayette is terrible.

We usually play teams like hermitage, western yell county, and Norphlet. Yes, we beefed it up. Gurdon may be down. But they are usually tough opponent. Why are you so harsh about your own team?

LCC

I'm not being harsh. Lafayette didn't even field a team 2 years ago and won 2 games last year. They're not a conference contender. They're just not very good. Just the honest truth. Maybe not terrible, but they're nothing to Smackover.

Big Red

That's a great question.  I think a lot of it depends on where a team or program is.  If you feel like your team is a little thin, then try to get some winnable games to build confidence and morale, which will make you a better team.  If you feel like you have a strong team, then try to get some stiff competition in those non-conference games and not be really concerned if you lose one or two  (though I would hate to start  0-3).   

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas