• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

coach salaries

Started by unblockable1, March 02, 2008, 11:02:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hit and Run

Excuse me for being lazy and not looking back to see who said it, but someone mentioned about 12 to 15 coaches salaries being out of whack.  That is probably true.  But that all comes back to original problem of school funding.  Sure the schools are going to pay coaches what they can afford to pay them.  I don't think the problem is pay, it is how the are being paid.  That is a funding problem, but that has always been a problem and is not going to change without major overhaul of the entire education system.  Not band aids fixes.

gwdblue1

FYI
Most of the base salaries are the same as a classroom teacher with the same degree(s) and years of experience.

Than the coaching stipend, extended contract stipend, etc are percentages of the base salary.

bearpride

just a thought. yeah, the coach at greenwood, for instance, makes around 90,000. however, have you ever been to a greenwood game? especially a playoff game? take 6000 tickets sold, multiply that by 3. (price of the ticket). Thats 18,000 for one game, not including concessions, so we'll say 5,000 for that. plus merchandise. we'll say 1,000. that is $24,000 for one ballgame. now take that and multiply that by 5 (minimum number of home games) and you get $120,000. now, greenwood is an annual playoff contender, usually a 1 or a two seed, so they play at home at least one more time. so add 24,000 more and you get 144,000.

so
=54,000 revenue in the green. revenue that goes into the schools overall budget.

this is without saying that greenwood has gone deep into the playoffs several years in a row.

I used greenwood for an example because they were used in the dem. gazzette story.

johnharrison

April 01, 2008, 10:13:14 pm #53 Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 10:59:05 pm by johnharrison
Quote from: bearpride on April 01, 2008, 09:54:20 am
just a thought. yeah, the coach at greenwood, for instance, makes around 90,000. however, have you ever been to a greenwood game? especially a playoff game? take 6000 tickets sold, multiply that by 3. (price of the ticket). Thats 18,000 for one game, not including concessions, so we'll say 5,000 for that. plus merchandise. we'll say 1,000. that is $24,000 for one ballgame. now take that and multiply that by 5 (minimum number of home games) and you get $120,000. now, greenwood is an annual playoff contender, usually a 1 or a two seed, so they play at home at least one more time. so add 24,000 more and you get 144,000.

so
=54,000 revenue in the green. revenue that goes into the schools overall budget.

this is without saying that greenwood has gone deep into the playoffs several years in a row.

I used greenwood for an example because they were used in the dem. gazzette story.

OK, that may be right.

How many coaches on the sideline, divide that into $140,000.  How far does it go?

Who pays for the buses to away games, the meals, the refs, the adhesive tape, the INSURANCE, the uniforms, the field maintenance, the stadium maintenance, the field house, the lights?

While there may be 6 programs in the state who MIGHT break even, most are a drain supported by the academic budget.

HA_Fan

Quote from: johnharrison on April 01, 2008, 10:13:14 pm
Who pays for the buses to away games, the meals, the refs, the adhesive tape, the INSURANCE, the uniforms, the field maintenance, the stadium maintenance, the field house, the lights?

...the cheerleaders, their sponsor, the band, the band director...

football_freak777

Well at some schools there are coaches who do both teaching and coaching which makes their salary definetly more. What I do hate are those idiots saying that football doesn't keep kids off the street cause they do. The teachers don't see kids crying in their lockerroom cause they got kicked off the team and they don't have anywhere to go to sleep tonite. The coaches I believe are the most important part of the school. They keep law and order in the school because everyone respects them. But what I also think is ridiculous is people saying football is all this school has. School was built to educate not to play sports. First you establish a solid and an ascending academic base and than build on your athletic program in my eyes.

Silver Dodge

FYI-I take no side in this aurguement.  Just providing info

Teachers: Example of Salary schedule from small school near state minimum salary-190 day contract.  This excludes benefits or 14% districts pay into retirement each year for each teacher.

Minimum 178 days of student contact-2days parent teacher conferences-10 days of Prof Dev-"Teacher Training" 

Read More at the bottom
SMALL AA School

#-years exp
BA-Bach Degree
MA-Masters
$28,897.00-BA
$33,231.00-MA
$29,352.00-BA
$33,736.00-MA
$29,806.00-BA
$34,241.00-MA
$30,261.00-BA
$34,746.00-MA
$30,715.00-BA
$35,251.00-MA
$31,170.00-BA
$35,756.00-MA
$31,624.00-BA
$36,261.00-MA
$32,079.00-BA
$36,766.00-MA
$32,533.00-BA
$37,271.00-MA
$32,988.00-BA
$37,776.00-MA
$33,442.00-BA
$38,281.00-MA
$33,897.00-BA
$38,786.00-MA
$34,351.00-BA
$39,291.00-MA
$34,806.00-BA
$39,796.00-MA
$35,260.00-BA
$40,301.00-MA
$35,715.00-BA
$40,806.00-MA
Extended contracts will be figured by the day.

Here is how it work for most schools from someone who knows.

Teachers are paid by the day.  So at this school, a teacher with 10 years exp and a Masters degree will make :
$38,281.00/190 days=201.48 per day.

A typical head coach at a small school with same exp. will then get this on a 12 month contract will get this:
201.48 x # of day (230 days required to work) typical=$46,340. (some schools divide the base by 9 then multiply by 12 months to get the figure above.) Length of contract or month determine the math.

Next-Most schools give stipends for each sports or index's(multipliers).  For example 1000 for  minor sports and larger stipends for more time consuming sports like football.  The school exampled above pays 1000 for things like basketball and 2500 for Sr. Football.  The AD also gets an extra 1000 dollars.  These stipends and index's are designed to pay for after hour work.  Like a practice or game after normal school hours.  So lets do the Math on the HC at this school.

Stipends
Athletic Dir-$1000
Head SR. Football-$2500
Head JR. Football-$1000
Sr. Boys Track-$1000
Jr. Boys Track-$1000
7th grade FB-$1000

Base pay-$38,281.00
extra days-$8059
stipends-$7,500

Total Salary for the HC at this school=53,840

Now Imagine a large school in NWA where the salaries are almost double that of the above mentioned AA school. 

NWA school:  teacher with 10 years experience -$50,783-192 day contract=$264.49 per day and do the same math with the same stipends as the AA school.  $68,332 would be what they make.  The only exception would be that the head coach of a NWA school would do only one sport and would make as much stipend for one sport as the small school coach gets for all.  Finally, take the the same numbers below and place the coach at the top of the salary schedule (25 years experience) in the large NWA school and this is the toal you would get:  $65,457 base with masters on 192 days for teacher $85,912 would be the total salary for the head coach. Formula for this calculation. $65,457/192 x $230 + $7500=$85,912.  At this NWA school the coach gets an index, not a set stipend.  So his stipend is a percentage of his salry added on after dividing salary sched/192 times days worked.  Example: base salary/192 x 230 x 1.27 = total.  65,457/192x230x1.27=99,583. (with this NWA coach, numbers reported in paper do not quite match this number because he does not have masters, but does have hours toward degree in which some schools pay for for all certified staff. 

Principals contracts are also figuered similarly at most schools.  Salary schedule/192 or 190  x 230 days worked x 1.25 to 1.35 index (stipend for after hour supervision).  The larger the school, typically the larger the index.  Superintendents can negotiate contracts that are typically based upon the normal teacher salary schedule x extra days x index. This index for most sups is often 2.0.

This is kind of how it works.  The numbers above were taken from real schools with some rounding, but they are pretty close.  So I hope that this long post provides info for debate or discussion. 

football_freak777

QPWFB

Quote from: johnharrison on April 01, 2008, 10:13:14 pm

so

OK, that may be right.

How many coaches on the sideline, divide that into $140,000.  How far does it go?

While there may be 6 programs in the state who MIGHT break even, most are a drain supported by the academic budget.

Once again you are wrong, our school ended the year with a positive balance in the athletic activities fund, and our coaches teach more than they coach and I'm not talking study hall they are  math, health, and history teachers.So save your know-it all attitude for those hand full of nw Ar. coaches who the article was meant for and leave the rest alone. Sports and other extra activities play an important role in a well balanced academic experience, and they will continue to do so into the future.And yes having these activities will require the districts to invest some $'s into these programs.At our school we spend less than 3% of our total budget on athletics, so that would mean 97% for academics. That should speak volumes !!

johnharrison

April 07, 2008, 05:49:49 pm #59 Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 05:59:08 pm by johnharrison
Sure, you pay your coaches primarily with academic funds, you pawn stadium costs into landscaping and general utilities, insurance for those players, bleachers, buses goes in the general fund too.

Go ask your neighbor if you can use his car to drive around every Friday night.  Do those buses that haul the players around get used for other students?  Who owns them, who buys tires and pays insurance, fuel and repairs?  Often it is a general budget item.

It is easy to make money if you don't have to pay for everything.  I think Clinton claimed they were running the entire football program on $18,000 a year.

I agree sports are important.  You just have to pay for education first.

Hoghead

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on March 02, 2008, 12:57:09 pm
You realize that for many schools football, and athletics is the most visiable part of the schools day, and it ties the school together.  I know your point is that coaches make too much, but are the teachers put on display the way the coaches and the athletic teams are?   Are many thousands of fans come out to watch the debate team?   Also many programs do make money to help pay the expenses of the salaries used for coaching.

In the words of Bear Bryant, "No One comes out much to see the Math Team Play" Oh they serve a purpose but this Football Team pays a lot of Bills.

Barry Switzer on Oklahoma Football. We have Medical School here for students who want to be Doctors and then we have a Football Program to help those Students who want to play in the NFL!!! It's a heck of a program I tell ya!

johnharrison

Switzter must of been a crappy coach.  Oklahoma turns out about 160 docs a year and only about half a dozen football players.

football_freak777

so

see with all that money left over though you have to pay the assistant coaches, the trainer, but all the equipment for the trainer, new weights, paint for the field, gas on trips also.

and i'm pretty sure 54,000 won't squeak you by

QPWFB

April 08, 2008, 06:49:35 am #63 Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 06:53:40 am by QPWFB
Quote from: johnharrison on April 07, 2008, 05:49:49 pm
Sure, you pay your coaches primarily with academic funds, you pawn stadium costs into landscaping and general utilities, insurance for those players, bleachers, buses goes in the general fund too.

Go ask your neighbor if you can use his car to drive around every Friday night.  Do those buses that haul the players around get used for other students?  Who owns them, who buys tires and pays insurance, fuel and repairs?  Often it is a general budget item.

It is easy to make money if you don't have to pay for everything.  I think Clinton claimed they were running the entire football program on $18,000 a year.

I agree sports are important.  You just have to pay for education first.
Then we agree ? So why all the hate for athletics, is it because of how popular it is with media? Why are you so bitter? When a schools budget is 97% toward academics, I think they are pretty much taking care of education first!!! Would it make you feel better if the players chipped in for fuel, or the booster club bought a set of tires every year! Let me tell you what our booster club has done in the past 2 years, bought every pre-game meal for jr and sr high teams, donated $20,000 for uniforms, raised donations for new play clocks, bought $1,500 worth of weight equipment, bought a new 5 man sled, paid the expense for our coaches to go to a clinic, pay for the field to be marked before each game, provide people for the chain gang, the announcer and the clock operator. So if the school has to spend a few dollars to support the program, I'm good with that!!

johnharrison

Quote from: QPWFB on April 08, 2008, 06:49:35 am
Then we agree ? So why all the hate for athletics, is it because of how popular it is with media?

The tail doesn't wag the dog.

So many posters will claim, not only that HS football makes money, but that it supports the rest of the athletic programs.  Those claims are only true if you are very creative with your accounting and pump money in through booster clubs.

I thought football was one of the sports where "volunteer" coaches weren't allowed.  If a coach isn't teaching classes, is he a teacher or a volunteer who is getting paid by the booster club.  Could a current AAA investigation put championships lead by non-classroom coaches at jeopardy?

QPWFB

Quote from: johnharrison on April 08, 2008, 07:35:16 am
Quote from: QPWFB on April 08, 2008, 06:49:35 am
Then we agree ? So why all the hate for athletics, is it because of how popular it is with media?

The tail doesn't wag the dog.

So many posters will claim, not only that HS football makes money, but that it supports the rest of the athletic programs.  Those claims are only true if you are very creative with your accounting and pump money in through booster clubs.

I thought football was one of the sports where "volunteer" coaches weren't allowed.  If a coach isn't teaching classes, is he a teacher or a volunteer who is getting paid by the booster club.  Could a current AAA investigation put championships lead by non-classroom coaches at jeopardy?
Well you lost me on that one!!! I guess its all one big conspiracy to undermine education ? For some one so negative about sports you sure spend alot of time on a sports web site?
Good luck to you and your crusade! I'm done with this subject.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas