• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Statistical situations

Started by BarclayAlmanac, August 08, 2007, 06:20:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BarclayAlmanac

if you have any questions about statistics or how to figure yardage for certain plays, just send it in the situation and we'll let you know.

for example, here's a couple of common plays and how it is figured statistically.

the hook-and-lateral ala boise state against oklahoma last season. let's say the yankees have the ball at the red sox 49-yard line. quarterback ruth completes a pass to receiver mantle at the red sox 37. mantle laterals the ball to gehrig, who runs to the 10-yard line before being pushed out of bounds. give mantle a reception and 12 yards receiving. give gehrig no reception but 27 yards receiving. give ruth a pass attempt, a pass completion, and 39 yards passing. give the yankees a first down by passing.

yardage on plays with penalties can be confusing. let's say the dodgers have the ball on the mets 35-yard line. quarterback furillo takes the snap and pitches the ball to tailback snider, who runs for a touchdown. but, there's a penalty flag lying at the 37-yard line. after assessing the holding penalty, the ball rests on the 47. do not give snider a rushing attempt. give the dodgers a penalty and 12 penalty yards.

here's another penalty situation. let's say the cardinals have the ball on the cubs 25-yard line. quarterback musial completes a pass across the middle to receiver gibson, who catches the ball and scores. but there's a penalty flag at the 22-yard line. after assessing the illegal blocking penalty the ball is moved back to the 37. give gibson a reception and 3 yards receiving. give musial a pass attempt, a pass completion and 3 yards passing. give the cardinals a penalty and 15 penalty yards.

so send us your questions or situations when they arise and we'll help figure it out.

tcor145

August 09, 2007, 11:23:46 am #1 Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 11:27:23 am by tcor145
Thanks for this forum.  I will use it during the season in case a situation arises.  But here is a question for you.  On a screen pass behind the line of scrimmage, is this a pass reception or a run by the receiver?  I might add also if it is actually a backwards screen pass behind the line of scrimmage?  I have had both answers on this one.  I have always called it a reception and a completion for the QB. 

Thanks four your reply.

BarclayAlmanac

screen passes and swing passes, which are becoming more and more popular in the new spread offense, are treated the same; as a pass. sometimes the pass is even somewhat of a lateral, but it still is a designed pass. the main thing to look for is the back judge. if he holds his hand out, that indicates a lateral and the ball is alive which in turn makes it a run. that doesn't happen very often, though. generally just record it as a pass.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas