• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Most Important Postion in Football(Other than Quarterback)

Started by Panther_Superman77, May 02, 2007, 07:40:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bowlingdawg

I would have to say the Center
1. he is the leader of the O-line
2. he has to anchor the line
3. he has to make good decisions on blocking assignments when Def. shifts
4. Snaps have to be good
5. Is basically the heart and sloe of O-line

Throwback1

Quote from: bowlingdawg on November 28, 2007, 11:17:51 am
I would have to say the Center
1. he is the leader of the O-line
2. he has to anchor the line
3. he has to make good decisions on blocking assignments when Def. shifts
4. Snaps have to be good
5. Is basically the heart and sloe of O-line
I don't think there is an answer because it's the ultimate team game and you gotta have everybody.  If I had to give an answer I guess I'd say Left Tackle (if your QB is right handed) just because Madden said it was the most important and difficult position to play on the O line.

INSURE2WIN

Quote from: N_O_L_E_S on May 08, 2007, 01:03:15 pm
Safety     the last line of defense
IF YOUR SAFETY IS YOUR BEST PLAYER, YOU ARE IN TROUBLE. I DON'T THINK I WANT MY LAST LINE OF DEFENSE MAKING THE PLAYS.

OldScrap

Football is a team sport, each player works for the good of the whole team, and if each player carries out his assignment, the team, whether its offence, defense, or special team, accomplishes its goal.

Take one player off of offence, defense, or special team, the other side can have a huge advantage.

For instants, the defense just puts 10 men on the field, there is going to be one offensive player who has no one playing defense against him, he may be just the one who advances the football across the goal line for a touchdown.

By the same token if you just line up 10 on the offence, that may well leave a defensive player open to make the tackle, which might be 10 yards behind the los.

But I'm sure, the team who has the ball on the 20 year line, its 4th down with 6 seconds left on the clock, and the score is 20 to 19 and the coach sends in the field goal kicker and he kicks it right thru the uprights as time runs out, most will say the filed goal kicker was the most important.

But on the other hand if a defensive player makes it thru the line and blocks the kick, the one who blocked the kick will be called the most important players.

But is one player is missing from either team, in theory the other team could not accomplished its goal.

So it is still a team sport in 2007, as it has always been, to say one player is more important than another is a put down to the other 10 players.

hogman627

Quote from: HeadandaHalf on November 26, 2007, 09:06:31 am
I will not dive into this debate without knowing for certain which position is without a doubt the most important.

A legitimate arguement can be made for 21 positions, other than the quarterback, that is THE most important on the football field.

I can not sway one's opinion on this matter.  I do however, have a clear cut, school specific answer to this question...

If you play football in West Memphis, the most important position on the field, other than the starting running back....is the second string running back.  Followed closely by the third string running back, and then the fourth string running back.  Coming in at the five seed is the quarterback, who only acts as a delivery boy....transport the football from the center...to the running back.

Does anyone disagree?
The O-Line??

Throwback1

Hoghead

The O line & D line.  You can have all the skilled backs, QB's ad WR's in the world. But they don't make it happen without the hosses up front.

football_freak777

This has been the question of the century and the real answer is the coach. the coach gets them on to field every day to practice. he works discipline and love for the game into their hearts. he yells at them when needed and congratulates him when needed do you ever see  a team without a coach???

parpar

What about the bus driver?  Try playing an away game without him!

Eagle84

This may sound really stupid...but I would have to go with punters. Let's say you're pinned back against your own goal line and go three and out. Who's there to bail you out of a hole? Your punter. Call me crazy...but a good punter is crucial to success for teams who can't score everytime they get the ball.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas