• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is the one thing you would change about Arkansas High School Football?

Started by Quite Frankly, February 20, 2007, 03:10:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Quite Frankly

Give just one and include a very brief reason.
For me,

Less classifications-  It's simply too many.

not ray

HA_Fan

Quote from: S.D. Jones on February 20, 2007, 03:10:41 pm
That kicks could be returned from the endzone. 

Absolutely.

And that overtime possessions start at the 20 instead of the 10.

Miner Nation

Overtime should be played just like in college and no first round byes in the playoffs.

HA_Fan

Quote from: Miner Nation on February 20, 2007, 11:58:24 pm
Overtime should be played just like in college and no first round byes in the playoffs.

I would be fine with that too.  Starting at the 10 is a disadvantage to passing teams.

wildcat_x-mgr

Forked Tongue

The frequency(every 2 years) in which conferences get realigned.  It's killing some rivalries.

wawa111

I am gonna take some "slaps" for this, but I think we need to use NCAA rules.

Also I agree the realignment is garbage. Too much changing every 2 years. You never really get a true feel for your conf.

Scorpius

Quote from: wawa111 on February 21, 2007, 08:11:25 pm
I am gonna take some "slaps" for this, but I think we need to use NCAA rules.

Also I agree the realignment is garbage. Too much changing every 2 years. You never really get a true feel for your conf.
I dont believe this but for the sake of argument, the AAA may be realigning so often as to keep teams from getting a feel for their conf. because they may think it makes for more interesting play.

Miner Nation

Since this is the last year of the two year classification cycle, I have a feeling the AAA will realign conferences and/or classes once again.

Scorpius

Wow good call considering that they state they will change them every two years.

GlennMParrish

This will draw some ire, but those who know me, know I've written in on many occasions:

GET RID OF PRIVATE SCHOOLS -- ALL OF THEM INTO A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN.

Scorpius

Quote from: GlennMParrish on February 22, 2007, 05:54:33 pm
This will draw some ire, but those who know me, know I've written in on many occasions:

AMEN!!!!!!!

wawa111

I agree with the private schools being moved to their own conf. I am not saying they recruit, but they don't live by the same rules that public schools do.

dc24

Stop complaining and just beat them.

wawa111

In one of my earlier post i said I wanted the AAA to use the NCAA rules...The main rule I would like to see changed is the cutt blocking rule...I think Arkansas should adopt the cut blocking rules...

Rulesman

Quote from: wawa111 on February 22, 2007, 07:33:08 pm
...I think Arkansas should adopt the cut blocking rules...
I have often said never say "always" --- Never say "never" --- But in this case, that will NEVER happen. Lawyers are the reason.

wawa111

I don't figure it will ever happen, but I would like to see it. I think it puts our kids at a disadvantage in college. Mainly LB's OL DL. When they get to college you can bet that they are expected to cut block or be able to beat a cut block. They never get to practice this. I know that the argument against this is that there are thousands of kids who will never play college ball and they may get hurt by cut blocking, but I just think it is something that needs to be considered. I would like to see research showing injuries due to cut blocking as opposed to injuries to not cut blocking...(don't know if that statement makes sense)....does anyone know if there is any research on this

not ray

What about the thousands and thousands that play football that never have any chance at all at playing college ball?  It is supposed to be a breeding ground for the colleges.  There are only a few states at all the allow cut blocking (Texas and Massachusetts? I believe)  I know Texas does not certain on the other.  So the kids are not disadvantaged.

GlennMParrish

Quote from: dc24 on February 22, 2007, 07:08:25 pm

Stop complaining and just beat them.

It was a question. Gave my opinion. Like so many of your constituents who might answer "Change officiating crews when Warren plays Nashville."

wawa111

If you read the post you will see that I have already taken the kids that aren't going to play college Football into account...I don't know, I personally want to see it in Arkansas...

not ray

As I said.  Only 2 states even have cut blocking.  So every player except for them is on a level field when leaving school.  And the thousands are much more important than the 1 that may play college ball.

Rulesman

I don't buy the "disadvantage" argument, considering only Texas and Massachusetts high schools play using NCAA rules. While Texas is certainly the exception, I highly doubt anyone considers Massachusetts a hotbed for football talent with a leg up on everyone else.

If you want statistics, two places that come to mind as good locations to start are the National Federation (www.nfhs.org) and the National Athletic Trainer's Association (www.nata.org).

not ray

Quote from: Rulesman on February 23, 2007, 12:59:15 pm
I, don't buy the "disadvantage" argument, considering only Texas and Massachusetts high schools play using NCAA rules. While Texas is certainly the exception, I highly doubt anyone considers Massachusetts a hotbed for football talent with a leg up on everyone else.

If you want statistics, two places that come to mind as good locations to start are the National Federation (www.nfhs.org) and the National Athletic Trainer's Association (www.nata.org).

Hard some people to realize they just might be wrong on some things.  When you use things like "they are disadvantaged" when hardly anyone plays by those rules you really lose a lot of credibility in your argument.  The best it could do is lead to numerous injuries by inexperienced players cut blocking.  Unless you have been cut blocked before you have no idea how bad it can hurt.

Uncle Ivan

Someone beat me to it.  Kick out the private schools.  If they die, then they die. 

Six man football wouldn't be a bad thing to have here.  It'd allow some of the smaller AA programs that have trouble suiting up enough players more of a chance to compete.  Perhaps some of the A schools could get in on it as well.

key_stone12

Quote from: President Ivan on February 23, 2007, 03:16:52 pm
Someone beat me to it.  Kick out the private schools.  If they die, then they die. 

Six man football wouldn't be a bad thing to have here.  It'd allow some of the smaller AA programs that have trouble suiting up enough players more of a chance to compete.  Perhaps some of the A schools could get in on it as well.

I attended a school in Oklahoma that had 7 man. I enjoyed the game almost more than 11 man.

Private schools should have their own conference. But with the addition of that, I would move things back to A, AA, AAA, and AAAA with 2 conferences for private schools.

GlennMParrish

Quote from: President Ivan on February 23, 2007, 03:16:52 pm

Hard to believe I beat a guy to the keyboard who has almost 20K posts, but +1 for agreement.

wawa111

I have been cut block before...played 4 years of college ball...and the players wouldn't be inexperienced if it was allowed. They would then practice doing it and defending it. I think they are pros and cons to both sides.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: Quite Frankly on February 23, 2007, 10:50:28 pm
I knew we couldn't keep this simple.

It's hard to keep something simple when the subject matter is not simple.

BruinFan100

Change from 6 classifications to 3.  Division 1 - Division 2 - Division 3.  Teams are assigned based on the quality of their football programs not the size of their enrollments.

This year the 3A champ beat the 5A champ who beat the 7A champ.

not ray

Which has nothing to do with anything.  You cannot base it on how good the programs are at all.  Sorry just would not work, and would never happen.

GlennMParrish

Quote from: BruinFan100 on February 26, 2007, 01:29:19 pm
Change from 6 classifications to 3.  Division 1 - Division 2 - Division 3.  Teams are assigned based on the quality of their football programs not the size of their enrollments.

Last sentence means there are too many classifications. But 3 probably is too few and I can't imagine it being anything but ugly if you try to do it by "strength of program." If you think it's too political now, that would be a nightmare.

BruinFan100

Quote from: GlennMParrish on February 26, 2007, 09:15:59 pm
Quote from: BruinFan100 on February 26, 2007, 01:29:19 pm

Last sentence means there are too many classifications. But 3 probably is too few and I can't imagine it being anything but ugly if you try to do it by "strength of program." If you think it's too political now, that would be a nightmare.

It seems to me if the NCAA can divide the entire United States into only 4 levels (Division 1A, Division 1AA, Division 2, and Division 3) based on the strength of their athletic programs not their enrollments surely the state of Arkansas can manage to live with 3.

not ray

Little bit different there.  A lot more like comparing apples to  bowling balls.  They are divided vey equally based on the number of scholarships offered.  High school ball just not that way.  So when a team suddenly is not as good as they thought they were going to be what happends.  Most smaller schools are relying on just a couple players.  What happens when those couple get injure.  Now you have teams with 30 players going up against teams that are suiting over 100.  Or you have a team like Van Buren that is a big school and because they play in  very tough level they are dropped down to play little schools and then slap the crap out of them on a weekly basis.  Just not applicable at all.

BruinFan100

Quote from: S.D. Jones on February 26, 2007, 09:55:09 pm
Little bit different there.  A lot more like comparing apples to  bowling balls.  They are divided vey equally based on the number of scholarships offered.  High school ball just not that way.  So when a team suddenly is not as good as they thought they were going to be what happends.  Most smaller schools are relying on just a couple players.  What happens when those couple get injure.  Now you have teams with 30 players going up against teams that are suiting over 100.  Or you have a team like Van Buren that is a big school and because they play in  very tough level they are dropped down to play little schools and then slap the crap out of them on a weekly basis.  Just not applicable at all.

I agree with some of what you say - However my point is if you look at the 2006 APS rankings and took the top 1/3 and made that division 1 for the next two years and the next 1/3 and made that division 2 and the the bottom 1/3 the division 3. You would have a much better alignment than we have with the current system.

There were many schools that got the crap slapped out of them on a weekly basis with the current system.  The APS for Van Buren this past year would still keep them in the upper third of all teams.

Quite Frankly

The fact that talent and coaches change so frequently it would be impossible to govern.  Injuries alone could wipe out a smaller school power.  Good job thinking outside the status quo, but I think that 4 public and one private is a good mix. 

loser2winners

Oh here we go again.  You can't beat the private schools so you want them to be removed.  An athlete likes competition.  They don't care whether it comes from the private or public sector.  I am not a Shiloh fan but you have to respect the fact that they had a lot of D1 recruits this year.  The NCAA doesn't care whether the athlete plays in the private, public, or homeschooled.  They just want someone who can play.  Since High school sports is the entry to college sports lets follows the same rules that the NCAA uses.  They don't separate public and private so why should we.

GlennMParrish

Quote from: AU4LIFE on February 27, 2007, 12:30:52 am

Oh here we go again.  You can't beat the private schools so you want them to be removed.  An athlete likes competition.  They don't care whether it comes from the private or public sector.  I am not a Shiloh fan but you have to respect the fact that they had a lot of D1 recruits this year.  The NCAA doesn't care whether the athlete plays in the private, public, or homeschooled.  They just want someone who can play.  Since High school sports is the entry to college sports lets follows the same rules that the NCAA uses.  They don't separate public and private so why should we.

The big, I'm sorry, HUGE difference in your apples to oranges argument is that in the NCAA both the privates and the public universities can RECRUIT, which is exactly how Shiloh, et all., ends up with so many of the D1 recruits of which you speak.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

BruinFan100

Quote from: GlennMParrish on February 27, 2007, 03:06:10 pm

The big, I'm sorry, HUGE difference in your apples to oranges argument is that in the NCAA both the privates and the public universities can RECRUIT, which is exactly how Shiloh, et all., ends up with so many of the D1 recruits of which you speak.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

So you are saying that every one of those D1 recruits at Shiloh was recruited by persons associated with their football program.  Surely if recruiting is so wide spread you can manage to come up at least one piece of evidence to report to the AAA.

GlennMParrish

Quote from: BruinFan100 on February 27, 2007, 03:15:44 pm

So you are saying that every one of those D1 recruits at Shiloh was recruited by persons associated with their football program.  Surely if recruiting is so wide spread you can manage to come up at least one piece of evidence to report to the AAA.

I understand the burden of proof. That's why criminals go free. BTW are you saying not 1 was?

BruinFan100

Quote from: GlennMParrish on February 27, 2007, 03:29:23 pm

I understand the burden of proof. That's why criminals go free. BTW are you saying not 1 was?

I am saying I would not claim something as factual without the facts.

Footballer

IMO, it's not fair to public shools to have to play private schools on a yearly basis inside conference. Outside of conference, private and public schools should be able to play all they want.

And don't say I want it like this because my team lost to a private school, because they didn't.

Quite Frankly

On this thread, being rational is not needed.  The point is to freely express the ONE(or 2 if you wish) thing you would change.  If people are anti-private school, that is their right if they so choose.

Another for me, the entirely too long halftimes at most larger school games.  There is a rule, but it is rarely used as to the length.

loser2winners

When the NCAA recruits they pay for tuition and board.  I don't think that happens in private school.  Lets face it.  They have a good program.  The bottom line people want to be in a winning program.  I lived in Alabama for many years. Hoover ( a public school) has an awesome program.  Do you really think Hoover breeds all those athletes?  No, people move from other states to have the child play in that program.  Do they recruit?  Winning draws athletes.

GlennMParrish

Quote from: AU4LIFE on February 28, 2007, 04:02:25 am

When the NCAA recruits they pay for tuition and board.  I don't think that happens in private school.  Lets face it.  They have a good program.  The bottom line people want to be in a winning program.  I lived in Alabama for many years. Hoover ( a public school) has an awesome program.  Do you really think Hoover breeds all those athletes?  No, people move from other states to have the child play in that program.  Do they recruit?  Winning draws athletes.

And if the star receiver rich daddy of qb wants on his team cannot afford to move to another state, who pays for it? Maybe not the school, maybe not even the rich daddy, but don't tell me it doesn't happen. I"ll NEVER buy it. In their Hooten's article a couple years back, at least one private was almost to the point of bragging about acquisitions for that season.

Lions84

Allow the Cut block, Crackback  and the Forearm shiver !

Bring in 6 man football for the lower half of todays 2a conferance. Go back to 5 classes overall!

Bring back being able to clobber the deep snapper on punts, Fieldgoals and EX Points.

key_stone12

Quote from: Lions84 link=topic=64370.msg1312827#msg1312827 date=1172855443
Bring back being able to clobber the deep snapper on punts, Fieldgoals and EX Points.
/quote]

NO! I'm kinda biased being a deep snapper. However, we can be hurt so easily.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas