• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Everyone say hello to Mr. High School Football Historian Leland Barclay

Started by Lanny, February 20, 2007, 02:23:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanny

I am proud to announce Leland has joined FearlessFriday and will bringing the facts for High School Football fans.

Welcome Leland!

Miner Nation

Hello Leland.  When are you going to release the 2006 Arkansas High School Football Almanac?

BarclayAlmanac

Quote from: hSv on February 20, 2007, 02:23:57 pm
I am proud to announce Leland has joined FearlessFriday and will bringing the facts for High School Football fans.

Welcome Leland!

I'm looking forward to being a part of the FearlessFriday team, and I'm especially looking forward to the exciting things we have planned in the future. I won't bore anyone with my opinions very much. Instead, I like to focus on facts and the various aspects of high school football that fans find interesting and insightful. Again, I'm looking foward to the future of FearlessFriday.

BarclayAlmanac

Quote from: Miner Nation on February 20, 2007, 11:56:10 pm
Hello Leland.  When are you going to release the 2006 Arkansas High School Football Almanac?

I'm hoping to have the 2006 Almanac ready in late March, early April.  Since there were six state championships instead of four like in the past, and the added playoff games, I had to revise the format I had.  I also took the opportunity to go back and add a lot of things for the past seasons like some comments from coaches throughout the years. I also have added some information about high school football from around the nation, like information about Joe Ferguson's playing days at Shreveport Woodlawn, along with John Elway's and Dan Marino's high school playing days. Thanks for your interest.

GlennMParrish

Great to see you here.  8)

I figured even with all the bullstuff, there is some good information out here to be had.

Lanny

Quote from: BarclayAlmanac on February 21, 2007, 01:05:04 pm
Quote from: hSv on February 20, 2007, 02:23:57 pm

Welcome Leland!

I'm looking forward to being a part of the FearlessFriday team, and I'm especially looking forward to the exciting things we have planned in the future. I won't bore anyone with my opinions very much. Instead, I like to focus on facts and the various aspects of high school football that fans find interesting and insightful. Again, I'm looking foward to the future of FearlessFriday.

Leland will have features throughout the football season.  Welcome Mr. High School Football

Miner Nation

Quote from: BarclayAlmanac on February 21, 2007, 01:08:56 pm
I'm hoping to have the 2006 Almanac ready in late March, early April.  Since there were six state championships instead of four like in the past, and the added playoff games, I had to revise the format I had.  I also took the opportunity to go back and add a lot of things for the past seasons like some comments from coaches throughout the years. I also have added some information about high school football from around the nation, like information about Joe Ferguson's playing days at Shreveport Woodlawn, along with John Elway's and Dan Marino's high school playing days. Thanks for your interest.
Great.  Let me know when it's ready.  I am looking forward to it.

Lanny

Miner Nation

Quote from: hSv on February 22, 2007, 08:57:02 am
You can order Leland's Almanac here at FearlessFriday.

Oh OK, let me know how I can get one.  I have last year's and its a great book!

BarclayAlmanac

Quote from: Miner Nation on February 22, 2007, 11:06:33 am
Quote from: hSv on February 22, 2007, 08:57:02 am
You can order Leland's Almanac here at FearlessFriday.

Oh OK, let me know how I can get one.  I have last year's and its a great book!

They are still $12, which includes postage, which is also the same price as the 1st edition in 1993.  The address is PO Box 6003, Fort Smith, Arkansas 72906.  Again, thanks for the interest.

hoghigh

Info on Joe Ferguson, great.  I will buy 1 for mysef and 1 for my mom.  She always looks for things that has her cousin in it.

BarclayAlmanac

Quote from: hoghigh on February 24, 2007, 09:26:36 pm

Info on Joe Ferguson, great.  I will buy 1 for mysef and 1 for my mom.  She always looks for things that has her cousin in it.

He was the first high school quarterback in the nation to reach 6,000 yards passing in his career. Woodlawn played Southside that season. Of course, Ferguson had a big day. Woodlawn went on to the state championship that season. Again, thanks for your interest.

wideout88

BadDogGHSDogPound

Leland's a class act, always glad to have him in the press box in Greenwood.

FD4

Go Leland, I would like to ask a question, since you are going to be the Historian.  Do you know how to give the old "15 for" cheer?  Get in touch and I will let you know how it goes.  No school I know of now remembers how to do it.  When I played in the late 60's and early 70's we did it at practice for someone that did really good.

Miner Nation

Don't forget to tell me/us when the new Almanac comes out. :)

BarclayAlmanac

i must admit i am not familiar with the "old 15" cheer.  it certainly sounds like one of those things that didn't passed along from generation to generation. i would be interested in knowing how it goes, though.

RGP

BarclayAlmanac

sure do, mostly football and basketball with a little baseball thrown in.

RGP

Quote from: BarclayAlmanac on May 01, 2007, 12:47:41 pm
sure do, mostly football and basketball with a little baseball thrown in.
Good. Well I'm a Fort Smith resident so just let me know when the Almanac comes out so I can purchase me a copy. Will it be sold around town?

Miner Nation

BarclayAlmanac

i am shooting the cover at the all-star media day on june 17.  they will be ready a week after that. thanks for your interest.

MS_hornet_06

Quote from: BarclayAlmanac on June 06, 2007, 12:11:49 pm
i am shooting the cover at the all-star media day on june 17.  they will be ready a week after that. thanks for your interest.

Will they be in stores around the state or what do we need to do to purchase one?

Busman

Mr. Barclay -

Always interested in historical perspective, such as Jim Bailey's column gives us.  IYO, what similarities do you see between Mitch Mustain and Gordon Norwood?

BarclayAlmanac

i want to first apologize. i'm pretty new to the message board scene and did not check at the very bottom of this topic and see that there was a number '2'. i just today checked that and saw a couple of questions that are a couple of weeks old. again i apologize.

first, to answer the question comparing mitch mustain with gordon norwood.

norwood guided pine bluff to a three-year record of 29-3-2 in 1961, '62 and '63 with state championships in the latter two years before going on to the university of arkansas.

if there was an all-decade high school team in the 60s, norwood would undoubtedly be the quarterback on the team.

while the 50s belonged to little rock high, which became central in 1957, the 60s belonged to little rock hall and fort smith northside except for the two-year run by norwood and the zebras. norwood, like mustain, had a very good supporting cast around him in jim barnes, david hunt and walter weaver.

marion glover, former pine bluff head coach and current head coach at rison woodlawn, was a sophomore on the '63 team.

barnes was a phenomenal athlete. he won the state decathlon his senior season with a point total that is still, 44 years later, in the top 10 of all-time.

mustain, like norwood, was a high school all-american but mustain is the first player ever to sweep the parade magazine, usa today and gatorade player of the year awards.

mustain, too, as we all know, had a great supporting cast. i do not believe that mustain and springdale received the competition in 2005 that pine bluff did in those early 60s. central, northside and hall were all powerhouses during that time in the day of the old big-school conference.

mustain and the bulldogs also were only able to win one state championship, losing in the semifinals to central when most of the outstanding players were juniors the year before. mustain and springdale did finish as high as No. 2 in a national ranking, however, their senior season.

i'm not sure if that answered your question but norwood and the pine bluff zebras of '62 and '63 certainly have their place in history.

BarclayAlmanac

hopefully, i will begin mailing almanacs next week. the cover turned out great and as recently as last night i added a couple of things about james white, the running back from west memphis that rushed for 2,601 yards in 1984. there are also a lot of comments and insights from retired coaches and their great teams. some of the stories they tell really amaze me.

the almanac will be available only through mail to me or through fearlessfriday.

again, thanks for everyone's interest but more importantly everyone's patience as well.

Miner Nation

What is the price again for the Almanac and the mailing address?

BarclayAlmanac

it is $12, which includes postage.  my address is:
po box 6003
fort smith, arkansas 72906

thanks again for your interest.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas