• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changes to the AAA

Started by bbfan89, March 05, 2017, 09:15:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TTownfan

Quote from: Neckred on January 17, 2018, 02:40:56 pm
The only people that want no shot clock are these people who had no game or kids have no game or coaches who can't develop players.

I would be willing to bet a substantial amount of money i can prove this statement wrong. 

AT

January 17, 2018, 10:39:53 pm #151 Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 10:41:52 pm by Almatrackster
Quote from: Outoftownfan on January 17, 2018, 09:27:48 pm
I appreciate how you're not willing to answer my questions but more than happy to ask me more.   :)

I fully support the backcourt rule and the closely guarded rule.  Why?  Because they are only effective if a team presses, traps, plays good man, etc.  A team must defend for those rules to impact the game.  They are rules that reward good defense.

Hometown fans support coaches and programs that win.  Most couldn't care less what offense or tempo a coach uses.  Never heard of a coach that won 25 games being fired because he ran a deliberate offense, but I've heard of plenty that won 4 games using a run and gun offense being kicked to the curb.

I don't care that other states have implemented a shot clock. Move to one of them if it means that  much to you. 

A shot clock is an external factor that forces a team to shoot or give the ball back with no effort from the defense.  Teams that want an uptempo game need to earn it.

You can find current coaches that prefer to play uptempo that will tell you they don't want a shot clock.

You're being silly with this quote. It would be quite the story to say "Hey moved here because your high school shot clock rules are better!"

If you can name a coach who uses a stall offense and wins 25 games a year, I'll be shocked. Not deliberate passing of the ball to find an open and good shot, but an offense who's main priority is to limit possessions of the other team (if a team is doing this, they aren't very good probably). That's why you probably haven't heard of a coach being fired under those circumstances. They don't exist.

You haven't asked me any questions lately...I just didn't want to dissect your points because you went back to the same talking points we've discussed earlier.

You have conveniently left out how basketball in Arkansas high schools would be hurt by a 45 second shot clock.

Support for the backcourt and closely guarded rule because it rewards good defense.

But no support for the shot clock that rewards teams with efficient offenses who know how to do the main objective of the game which is score more points than the other team?

Actually a 45 second shot clock rewards good defense! A team's goal should be to stop a team from scoring and not by swiping at the ball or hoping a team throws the ball away, but making that team take a bad shot after they've had time to take it. Let's give them ample time, but let's at least make them shoot it in a reasonable amount of time and keep a flow of a sport. You know...not a game of 3 man weave at the top of the key with no intent to score.

How can you say that a shot clock rewards a team that gives no effort on defense. If they give no effort, go shoot a layup! Your line of reasoning can't be followed.

It seems all your argument lays on the fact that coaches should be allowed to pick their strategy, including a stall offense.

But this offense has been lambasted in all levels of basketball. Change is needed eventually.

4real

Quote from: beach bum on January 17, 2018, 08:43:32 pm
Hey trackster... Yes in all the sports except football I want the 5 class system back. I think in non football sports the size difference gets negated some so the larger number of schools in a class wouldn't hurt the smaller enrollment teams in a classification. I liked the old 64 teams in 2A and 3A back in the day in basketball.
agreed

4real

Quote from: Almatrackster on January 17, 2018, 10:39:53 pm
You're being silly with this quote. It would be quite the story to say "Hey moved here because your high school shot clock rules are better!"

If you can name a coach who uses a stall offense and wins 25 games a year, I'll be shocked. Not deliberate passing of the ball to find an open and good shot, but an offense who's main priority is to limit possessions of the other team (if a team is doing this, they aren't very good probably). That's why you probably haven't heard of a coach being fired under those circumstances. They don't exist.

You haven't asked me any questions lately...I just didn't want to dissect your points because you went back to the same talking points we've discussed earlier.

You have conveniently left out how basketball in Arkansas high schools would be hurt by a 45 second shot clock.

Support for the backcourt and closely guarded rule because it rewards good defense.

But no support for the shot clock that rewards teams with efficient offenses who know how to do the main objective of the game which is score more points than the other team?

Actually a 45 second shot clock rewards good defense! A team's goal should be to stop a team from scoring and not by swiping at the ball or hoping a team throws the ball away, but making that team take a bad shot after they've had time to take it. Let's give them ample time, but let's at least make them shoot it in a reasonable amount of time and keep a flow of a sport. You know...not a game of 3 man weave at the top of the key with no intent to score.

How can you say that a shot clock rewards a team that gives no effort on defense. If they give no effort, go shoot a layup! Your line of reasoning can't be followed.

It seems all your argument lays on the fact that coaches should be allowed to pick their strategy, including a stall offense.

But this offense has been lambasted in all levels of basketball. Change is needed eventually.

your quote about shot clock impact on defense is spot on. It's way easier to convince kids to play hard on defense when they know that in a certain amount of time, they are on a last second defense scenario. The focus it demands on both sides brings a sense of urgency that is exciting.  Also, the last 90 seconds of a game can proved the opportunity to choose between fouls and trying to hold to just one shot, during a 1 possession game.  Fun stuff. But some out of towners don't get it. He might need some preparation H from getting sore

AT

Another point I was wanting to make, 4real.

I hate end of high school games when it becomes a 5 point lead. I know I'm going to be told it isn't about me, so I'll just agree with you as a matter of personal preference.

I think the shot clock makes for more competitive end of games too.

I think basketball teams should be meant to play basketball with 2 minutes left and a 5 point lead and not "catch me if you can"

beach bum

Quote from: Almatrackster on January 18, 2018, 07:27:16 pm
Another point I was wanting to make, 4real.

I hate end of high school games when it becomes a 5 point lead. I know I'm going to be told it isn't about me, so I'll just agree with you as a matter of personal preference.

I think the shot clock makes for more competitive end of games too.

I think basketball teams should be meant to play basketball with 2 minutes left and a 5 point lead and not "catch me if you can"

That is probably the most simplistic, yet best way I have ever heard that point in the game explained. That pretty much sums it up.

4real

That scenario alma laid out was well said, and that span is when we really notice a coach' Ability to be effective in managing time and talent.  When teams completely try to stop scoring it backfires much of the time

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: beach bum on January 13, 2018, 01:38:59 pm
I would have never wanted to play for a coach that told us to stall.... I would question whether he trusted us and would never have wanted to play for a coach who held us back from competing. If you don't think you can win a game when you step on the court you will never upset a better team. You have already lost it mentally before the ball was even tipped off.

Players who are not very good have to use whatever means possible within the rules.  Just because you don't like it doesn't mean its bad strategy.  Developing skills can take years and kids that are not naturally athletic, which I see a lot, take even longer.  Some never really get good.  Some kids can handle the ball ok but cannot shoot worth a dang.  Those teams do what they can to compete.  A good coach uses what he has to try to be competitive.  You are mistaken if you think the stall or slow down does not work. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas