• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BS

Started by Kirbcheck, December 02, 2017, 03:09:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirbcheck

The refs totally screwed the end of a great game

AT

I don't think so. I'm not sure, but I thought you had to have 3 seconds to spike the ball and there were only 2 left.

Razorback Red

No they didn't, you can't spike with 2 seconds or less.  BHS should have just ran a play. 

NLR won, we lost.  Congrats to them. 

The Future

I was confused as well.
I thought only one second would run off so when I heard they had 2 seconds I was thinking the refs messed up. But I was wrong.

I agree with Red. I've never liked the hurry up spike. Just already have a play ready to go. It looked like their WRs were finding ways to get open every play there at the end. Very good chance Bentonville scores had they just ran one more pass play.

You hate to see any drama or controversy end a game but it just adds to the excitement of the game.

Got some crow to eat myself. Figured the experience of Bennie would be enough to get the win but looked like their magic wore out.
Congrats to NLR.

Razorback Red

Quote from: The Future on December 02, 2017, 03:21:31 pm
I was confused as well.
I thought only one second would run off so when I heard they had 2 seconds I was thinking the refs messed up. But I was wrong.

I agree with Red. I've never liked the hurry up spike. Just already have a play ready to go. It looked like their WRs were finding ways to get open every play there at the end. Very good chance Bentonville scores had they just ran one more pass play.

You hate to see any drama or controversy end a game but it just adds to the excitement of the game.

Got some crow to eat myself. Figured the experience of Bennie would be enough to get the win but looked like their magic wore out.
Congrats to NLR.

When in doubt and that close, just throw a fade to KMH and whatever happens, you live with it.  Gotta give the kids a chance in that situation.

Even with that said, the growth in the BHS team from noncon to end of season was really, really solid.  Nice job by the Coaching staff getting the most out of the kids.

PCrawford is going to be special.  Maximized his time in the 2nd half of week 10 and in the playoffs.  I would have also liked to see if having our ILB in the game today would have made a difference. 

Great season for BHS.  I don't have kids in the program, so as a fan, I can say I am happy with a trip to the Rock based on the first 4 games of the season. 

PressBox-81

BV made a first down without going out of bounds so clock began when chains were set and qb was waiting thinking the clock started on the snap therefore ran out time. The ball was snapped with 01 on clock snd then 01 to spike and clock ran out.

mack

No BS.  It was the correct call.  Coaching..... game situations
for end of game.... it's on the coaches that you didn't make it to overtime.

AirWarren

JessieP

That is the rule. It's a shame to lose a game like that but the call was correct.

mack

December 02, 2017, 06:54:39 pm #9 Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 07:04:51 pm by mack
Now that the string is broken, I can be objective.

I don't think this BV team is as good as the ones that have hammered us in the past.  I don't mean that as a knock on this year's BV team, because they easily could have won this game.  I believe the difference is totally in the trenches.  In the past there was a huge difference in the body shape and strength of the BV linemen. 
Theirs looked like college bodies and ours were sort of chubby.  We could never line up and run power stuff down their throat like we did today.  Offensively, they were just as skilled as those BV teams in the past.  We were pretty much the same as usual with skill kids.  The difference is we had BV type linemen.

Congratulations to Bentonville for competing as hard as they did.  Their culture is such that they always believe they'll win.  That's an impressive mentality.

Baitshop

Quote from: JessieP on December 02, 2017, 05:38:22 pm
That is the rule. It's a shame to lose a game like that but the call was correct.

Bennie didn't "lose" the game on that call....that would be assuming that they would have definitely scored on the next play AND would have been successful on the 2 point try to win the game.

This loss is NOT about Bennie losing on a technicality, it's about NLR scoring more points before the clock ran out....

I am frankly shocked and impressed that Bennie was able to score that many points on this years NLR defense. I predicted NLR by 10+, and Bennie proved me wrong. Congrats to both teams, and especially to my good friend mack, who can finally sleep well at night knowing that the great albatross of despair from the 7A West wins over his beloved Charging Wildcats have been slayed and vanquished....

bbishop

Go Cats!  I am sure I will hear a detailed description of Monday (I was there, but the boys will talk about it!)  I loved that it was a competitive game down to the end. 

Razorback Red

Quote from: mack on December 02, 2017, 06:54:39 pm
Now that the string is broken, I can be objective.

I don't think this BV team is as good as the ones that have hammered us in the past.  I don't mean that as a knock on this year's BV team, because they easily could have won this game.  I believe the difference is totally in the trenches.  In the past there was a huge difference in the body shape and strength of the BV linemen. 
Theirs looked like college bodies and ours were sort of chubby.  We could never line up and run power stuff down their throat like we did today.  Offensively, they were just as skilled as those BV teams in the past.  We were pretty much the same as usual with skill kids.  The difference is we had BV type linemen.

Congratulations to Bentonville for competing as hard as they did.  Their culture is such that they always believe they'll win.  That's an impressive mentality.

First things first, Mack.  Congrats!  Hate that my team lost, but good for AR that the Central broke the streak.  Hats off to NLR!  They played with discipline and power, I was super impressed with the line and running game. 

You offer a very fair perspective of Bentonville this season.  Let's be honest, the split hurt and it showed in the trenches, that was clear.  The depth we've had in the past is now at two HS's.  Speaking on that, it's pretty remarkable that in 2 years Bentonville has a team in the top 3 in the state and another team in the top 7-8 in the state.  Speaks volumes for our Kids, Coaches, Boosters, Community support, etc... just a darn good football town now.  Thanks again to CBL!!!

mack

Quote from: Razorback Red on December 03, 2017, 08:08:58 am
First things first, Mack.  Congrats!  Hate that my team lost, but good for AR that the Central broke the streak.  Hats off to NLR!  They played with discipline and power, I was super impressed with the line and running game. 

You offer a very fair perspective of Bentonville this season.  Let's be honest, the split hurt and it showed in the trenches, that was clear.  The depth we've had in the past is now at two HS's.  Speaking on that, it's pretty remarkable that in 2 years Bentonville has a team in the top 3 in the state and another team in the top 7-8 in the state.  Speaks volumes for our Kids, Coaches, Boosters, Community support, etc... just a darn good football town now.  Thanks again to CBL!!!

Couldn't agree more.  To be split and still have the ability to compete at the level you guys do is mind boggling to me.  It's a testament to the program and the fan support. 

One thing I left out in my assessment is our coach.  IMO , he's the best we've had in 40 years.

IAFLAR7

Time should have never been an issue. On the drive when they scored to get within 7 BV was in no hurry at all getting to the line of scrimmage & snapping the ball. Why? Then it ends like it did & they are complaining about the time.

mack

I haven't heard any of them complaining except for the author of this thread...

TigerHawg

Whoever ran the scoreboard needs to stay away from it in the future. Yardage, second, and even the score was messed up many times.  That being said, NRL running game had there way with the Tiger defense and at the end of the day if you can adjust to what is burning you, you will lose.  The good take away was seeing those last two drives with Easton Hughes.  Looks like Bentonville will be in good hands next year.

Rayburn

December 04, 2017, 01:00:23 pm #17 Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 01:40:50 pm by Rayburn
I have searched the NHSF rulebook and I cannot find any time restrictions on spiking the ball to stop the clock.
It is not a rule in high school.

mack

I couldn't find it either.  I was told it doesn't have to be a rule, but can be a point of emphasis. Watching BV rush up to the line to get set and ready to spike it, and the ref signaling clock start, I don't think they could do it in time. 
Overtime would have been interesting.  We definitely couldn't stop your offense and your guys were gassed, so you have to assume we'd have kept rolling over you too.

Rayburn

December 04, 2017, 04:40:18 pm #19 Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 04:44:17 pm by Rayburn
Quote from: mack on December 04, 2017, 03:49:20 pm
I couldn't find it either.  I was told it doesn't have to be a rule, but can be a point of emphasis. Watching BV rush up to the line to get set and ready to spike it, and the ref signaling clock start, I don't think they could do it in time. 
Overtime would have been interesting.  We definitely couldn't stop your offense and your guys were gassed, so you have to assume we'd have kept rolling over you too.
I'm not affiliated with Bentonville in any way. I was just passing along information.

Rayburn

And you may have been "told" it can be a point of emphasis, but people on this thread were also "told" it was a rule. I don't know how much time was on the clock. I wasn't even there and the bush league broadcast didn't have the clock on the screen. But that "point of emphasis" comment is ridiculous. A referee can't decide arbitrarily to enforce a rule that's not in the rule book. If there was time left when the ball was spiked, Bentonville was at least cheated out of an opportunity.

AT

If there truly isn't restrictions, that does make for an interesting argument. But if there was one second left and he spiked it, I find it moot, you can't snap a ball with 1 second left and have 1 second left after the play is over.

We are very lucky to have these broadcasts on TV now...let things develop. I'm sure time will be put up eventually.

TigerHawg

Quote from: Almatrackster on December 04, 2017, 07:14:07 pm
If there truly isn't restrictions, that does make for an interesting argument. But if there was one second left and he spiked it, I find it moot, you can't snap a ball with 1 second left and have 1 second left after the play is over.

We are very lucky to have these broadcasts on TV now...let things develop. I'm sure time will be put up eventually.

There was 2 seconds left and the ball hit the ground on 1.

Observer35

From the time the white hat starts the clock and the ball hitting the ground the elapse time was 2.05 seconds

mack

Well Rayburn and company, I am just going to have to take the actions of the referees who were assigned this game, and believe they interpreted the rules correctly.
They probably know them a little better than you folks do.  But I understand crying...

mack

Thanks Observer35.  I guess you matched the time up with the video?

Observer35

Had the game recorded and I timed it

Rocket23

Check page 157 of 2017 NFHS rule book.  It is section 5, Article 2 Classification of a forward pass.

(I couldn't get it cut and paste on my iPad)

Says it is legal to throw an incomplete pass to conserve time immediately after receiving a hand to hand snap.

Baitshop

NLR Charging Wildcats.....2017 7A State Champions.

And 20 years from now their name will still be on the trophy....and there will be no asterick by it.

Time to move on....

Cabotfan

Quote from: Rocket23 on December 07, 2017, 01:56:28 pm
Check page 157 of 2017 NFHS rule book.  It is section 5, Article 2 Classification of a forward pass.

(I couldn't get it cut and paste on my iPad)

Says it is legal to throw an incomplete pass to conserve time immediately after receiving a hand to hand snap.

I didn't see anyone say it was "illegal", just that they didn't have enough time to do it.

Rocket23

You are correct. My bad. 

Also, if clock doesn't have tenths on it at WMS, there could be as much as 2.9 remaining.

Great game regardless.

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

I can't believe that this thread went 6 days before the OP got a slap!  Geez people, do I have to do everything for you?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas