• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best 1A Team Ever?

Started by thechampchamp, November 17, 2017, 08:54:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

thechampchamp

This should be interesting. Who do yall think is the best 1A team in Arkansas high school basketball history?

dentist15

I'd say Caddo Hills in 1990. Lost a close one to Pine Bluff for the overall championship (and this was when Pine Bluff was in a run of real good talent too).

But Parkdale won a state championship and an overall in 1979, out of the smallest classification at the time (may have been class B, instead of A). So you could put that team in the mix.

FaceInTheCrowd

I know this is going to blow some minds because these teams are not from North Arkansas, but ....

Girls: Palestine-Wheatley in about '99 when Erica Smith-Taylor was helping her team score 100+ points a game on multiple occasions

Boys: Stephens when the Glover brothers/cousins were playing and they won 60 straight games.  I think that was about '98-2000.

Bigleague

thebigman3

Quote from: Bigleague on November 17, 2017, 09:33:50 am
83 crew.
I WAS WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO SAY THIS!! I thought it was going to be Sack though

teamworkwins

BigLion10

SackAttack

Quote from: thebigman3 on November 17, 2017, 09:52:32 am
I WAS WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO SAY THIS!! I thought it was going to be Sack though
Some things just go without saying but the second best team of all time is without a doubt the parkdale team of 79 I believe

hooperfromwestside

Fayetteville christian back in mid 2000's

not so slim shady

In girls I believe bee branch and guy both had overall ships in the 80's

thebigman3

Quote from: not so slim shady on November 17, 2017, 09:32:07 pm
that's funny cause me and one of my buddies we're  just talking abt this today actually.

Missco

Head Lion

HorseFeathers

Quote from: not so slim shady on November 17, 2017, 09:32:07 pm

Current 1a or Closed overall champs
Girls
1976---Calico Rock
1972, 75, 77&78---Stephens
1979--,Waldo
1984---Guy
1990--,Southside bee branch
Boys
1979--,Parkdale
1986--Dermott

breezy b

1994 Rural special boys, or the 98 Bay boys.

yesteryearman

Quote from: breezy b on November 30, 2017, 10:31:55 am
1994 Rural special boys, or the 98 Bay boys.

To me, at the end of the year at tournament time the 14-15 Bay team was playing as well as any A or B team I have ever seen....and that goes all the way back to the mid 60's..........

thebigman3

Quote from: yesteryearman on December 01, 2017, 05:57:46 am
To me, at the end of the year at tournament time the 14-15 Bay team was playing as well as any A or B team I have ever seen....and that goes all the way back to the mid 60's..........
Idk abt best team ever on that one. But most impressive team nonetheless. They had to play a Guy team in the Semis of state who was undeafeated and also beat them earlier in the year by 25. Then went to the Finals and played an Undeafeated Emerson team who was killing everyone they played. Props to that team for sure.

C.P. FAN

yesteryearman

Quote from: thebigman3 on December 01, 2017, 06:58:36 am
Idk abt best team ever on that one. But most impressive team nonetheless. They had to play a Guy team in the Semis of state who was undeafeated and also beat them earlier in the year by 25. Then went to the Finals and played an Undeafeated Emerson team who was killing everyone they played. Props to that team for sure.

No, I was talking about the year before that....the team with Watson....etc......

yesteryearman

Quote from: C.P. FAN on December 01, 2017, 08:41:11 am
1984-85 Stamps Sr. Boys!!

Wasn't Stamps AA, or 2A, or just A whatever they called it back then.....meaning that they were in the class above the lowest, which was probably Class B.....

ErnestTBass

Quote from: yesteryearman on December 01, 2017, 05:57:46 am
Would not have stayed on the floor with the Parkdales and Stephens of the 70's! No how no way

HorseFeathers

I'll ask this question here..... But is it just me...or have teams forgotten how to shoot lay ups? I see tons of uncontested layups missed....

yesteryearman

Quote from: ErnestTBass on December 01, 2017, 06:37:28 pm
Would not have stayed on the floor with the Parkdales and Stephens of the 70's! No how no way

Parkdale would have been a good match-up against the 14-15 Bay, but I'm not sure about Stephens....I don't think Stephens would play enough defense to keep Watson from getting 50 against them.

thebigman3

Quote from: HorseFeathers on December 01, 2017, 08:28:47 pm
I'll ask this question here..... But is it just me...or have teams forgotten how to shoot lay ups? I see tons of uncontested layups missed....
THIS IS VERY TRUE 1-7a!!

BasketballNeverStops

Quote from: yesteryearman on December 01, 2017, 08:34:24 pm
Parkdale would have been a good match-up against the 14-15 Bay, but I'm not sure about Stephens....I don't think Stephens would play enough defense to keep Watson from getting 50 against them.
13-14 Concord would beat 14-15 Bay.

HOGS1976

With out a doubt the 89-90 Caddo Hills Indians boys, they were basically flawless and they played basketball at its purest.

thebigman3

HOGS1976

yes got beat out of state overalls by pine bluff by I think 1 or 2, caddo had 2 players hurt and 1 sick

ErnestTBass

December 02, 2017, 01:12:00 pm #28 Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 06:30:41 pm by ErnestTBass
Quote from: HOGS1976 on December 02, 2017, 09:58:33 am
With out a doubt the 89-90 Caddo Hills Indians boys, they were basically flawless and they played basketball at its purest.
They were good no doubt! Basketball all over was good! I remember that entire state tournament! Get this—-  8 teams only—- not 20— Caddo, Crawfordsville, Devalls Bluff, Augusta, Lockesburg CV White I think?? Not sure about the other 2 but dadgum all those teams would beat any team I've seen this year by mercy rule! Playin that broken record again! Delta and Marked Tree! Dang what a lineup! Let's see who's missing?? Guy Bay Inc County Line Omaha Mt Vernon and all the rest of yall

Thechosen1

December 03, 2017, 09:01:41 pm #29 Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 09:06:03 pm by Thechosen1
Quote from: BasketballNeverStops on December 02, 2017, 03:51:00 am
13-14 Concord would beat 14-15 Bay.
Not a chance. Didn’t concord lose in regionals in 13-14 to Nemo or something? Lol Bay would’ve waxed the floor with either one of those teams come regional-state tournament time.

yesteryearman

Quote from: Thechosen1 on December 03, 2017, 09:01:41 pm
Not a chance. Didn't concord lose in regionals in 13-14 to Nemo or something? Lol Bay would've waxed the floor with either one of those teams come regional-state tournament time.

I'll say it again....the 14-15 Bay team, at the end of the year, was one of the best CLass A/B teams I ever saw, and Watson was in the top 5 of all CLass A/B players I ever saw.

1Lurker

Fayetteville Christian 06-07

Moonshiner

When you say class A, does that include the entire history of class A? Today's class A used to be called class B.  What used to be class A is now 2A.  Was Caddo Hillls A or B back then? 

HOGS1976

The Great One

95 96 Saratoga bulldogs with Jason McDonald and Shelby Green... McDonald was one of the best players I've ever seen high school him and James Anderson.

Rick Swines

December 12, 2017, 12:39:59 pm #35 Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 08:27:00 am by Rick Swines
98 walker

HGaluminTN

Quote from: yesteryearman on December 01, 2017, 05:09:42 pm
Wasn't Stamps AA, or 2A, or just A whatever they called it back then.....meaning that they were in the class above the lowest, which was probably Class B.....
Yes, Stamps was in AA at the time.  They were in District 4AA-East with Junction City, Fordyce & Hampton.  Sometimes Smackover and Hermitage were also in that district, but I think they had both dropped down by this year.  Earle was Class A champs and Carthage was class B. 

HGaluminTN

December 28, 2017, 06:05:06 pm #37 Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 08:45:59 pm by HorseFeathers
Quote from: HorseFeathers on November 18, 2017, 07:29:45 am
Current 1a or Closed overall champs
Girls
1976---Calico Rock
1972, 75, 77&78---Stephens
1979--,Waldo
1984---Guy
1990--,Southside bee branch
Boys
1979--,Parkdale
1986--Dermott

Stephens was in the largest girls class with their first two titles and the middle class with their 1977 Championship.  Same with Waldo in 1979. Parkdale won Class B that year.  The '75 team coached by Danny Ebbs was unreal and by far the best girls team I've ever seen. Gail Buffington was unbelievable to be a freshmen. The championship game between them and Rivercrest was outstanding.  I think it was like 7-7 at the end before 2 or 3 OTS. Highland's gym was SRO and no one was sitting. 
As far as best in lowest class,  Parkdale and Calico Rock's championship teams would have to be in the running.   

Dermott was in AA in 1986, with two classes lower.  Parkdale's team was only Class B team to win the Overall championship, so they are up close to the top if not the best. Wiley Click's Delight teams which for many years had state's longest winning streak would be included along with teams like McNeil and Minnifee.  Wilmar, Waldo, and Mayflower al were really good but had the misfortune of being in same district as the eventual state champs.  I know Waldo beat McNeil in district before losing to them a week later for the state title.  I think it was the same with Mayflower and Minnifee.  I don't think Wilmar beat Parkdale in district but pretty sure they played in the state championship.

McNeil-Waldo's 1976 teams had been two of the best JR high teams I ever saw. The 1973 Area 13 tournament at Amity featured those two and Amity.  Fantastic tournament and was easy to see they would be at the top in high school.  Grady Bean was on the Amity team but they just couldn't win it. That district was so big most of the teams spent the week st Glenwood.

I only got to go to one day of the 1976 Class B State at ASU, but there were some great Class B teams that year.

Moonshiner

Quote from: The Great One on December 05, 2017, 09:50:06 pm
95 96 Saratoga bulldogs with Jason McDonald and Shelby Green... McDonald was one of the best players I've ever seen high school him and James Anderson.

McDonald went on to play at Texas Tech correct?  When James Dickey took them to either the quarterfinals or final four.  I remember Darvin Hamm shattering the backboard in one of those games.

SackAttack

Quote from: Moonshiner on December 29, 2017, 01:30:41 pm
McDonald went on to play at Texas Tech correct?  When James Dickey took them to either the quarterfinals or final four.  I remember Darvin Hamm shattering the backboard in one of those games.
Nope Cory Carr

D6Bound

Quote from: 1Lurker on December 04, 2017, 06:58:59 am
Fayetteville Christian 06-07
mannnn this team....pretty sure they had a few kids from the Bahamas and one seven foot tall guy from Russia and 3 of them went D1...and I think their best player is playing in the D-League right now lol. Definitely the best 1A team in the past few decades for sure

Moonshiner

Quote from: SackAttack on December 29, 2017, 01:32:13 pm
Nope Cory Carr

I knew you'd know.  I realized I'd made a mistake but couldn't correct it in time.
He was a good player for Kingsland.

Moonshiner

Do you remember who Saratoga beat in the finals?

SackAttack

Moonshiner

Moonshiner

I'll give you a hint, they are probably closer to your neck of the woods.  Tiny school.

SackAttack

Quote from: Moonshiner on December 29, 2017, 01:58:40 pm
I'll give you a hint, they are probably closer to your neck of the woods.  Tiny school.
Not sure where you think my neck of the woods might be but Ill take a whiff at it and say Guy!!

Moonshiner

Quote from: SackAttack on December 29, 2017, 02:02:53 pm
Not sure where you think my neck of the woods might be but Ill take a whiff at it and say Guy!!

I'm pretty sure it was Rural Special.

SackAttack

Quote from: Moonshiner on December 29, 2017, 02:05:57 pm
I'm pretty sure it was Rural Special.
I believe you may very well be correct!! Had some very good teams in that time frame. Robert Ross=good coach

Moonshiner

Quote from: SackAttack on December 29, 2017, 02:33:19 pm
I believe you may very well be correct!! Had some very good teams in that time frame. Robert Ross=good coach

Yes he was.  They made it to the finals two years in a row.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas