• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thursday- Conway at Bville West

Started by Razorback Red, November 12, 2017, 09:16:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorback Red

So all the talk on the 2nd round thread is about FHS at Bryant, so starting a discussion for Conway and West.

Yes, I've heard all the talk about Conway not being that good, but I saw them earlier in the year and they have size and talent.  You don't win at Bville (even when they turn the ball over like they did) without talent.  I assume Conway's big RB is ready for round 2, and if West has a defensive weakness, it's run D up the middle.  I think Conway can have success running the ball.  To win, they will also have to protect the ball.  Can't give the West offense extra chances.  Believe me when I say the West offense is very good.  They have a very underrated QB, he can beat you with his arm or legs.  Their WR core is also much more than just 1.  Yes, He is as good as anyone in the state, but focus just on him, and West has 2-3 more guys that can beat you.  I think Conway will need to take the run away and force West to just throw the ball.  If West can do both, I can't see Conway winning this game.

I'll stick with my original pick of West by 10, but expect this to be a very competitive game. 

tj1987

West wins this game without a lot of trouble.  They don't see teams with this level of QB in the Central. 

francocat

Question for you: Is this the same QB that lost to Bentonville? Should be a very close game. I look at the overall results of the competition as a benchmark. BVW's opponents have a 43-57 record (before the playoffs). Conway's opponents have a 55-45 record. HMMM. Don't underestimate the resolve of the Conway senior class, they are battle tested & ready.

TigerHawg

Quote from: tj1987 on November 13, 2017, 08:59:48 am
West wins this game without a lot of trouble.  They don't see teams with this level of QB in the Central.

Agreed. West will be hungry for another shot at Bentonville,  game was a lot closer then the score showed. Conway is good but I think a Thursday game will give West an advantage with the Tiger faithful coming to help fill the stands. I would go West by 10.

Hornet-Hawg

I haven't seen West but I can tell you that the Conway RB is the best I've seen this year.  He was a beast. 

tj1987

Quote from: francocat on November 13, 2017, 10:50:59 am
Question for you: Is this the same QB that lost to Bentonville? Should be a very close game. I look at the overall results of the competition as a benchmark. BVW's opponents have a 43-57 record (before the playoffs). Conway's opponents have a 55-45 record. HMMM. Don't underestimate the resolve of the Conway senior class, they are battle tested & ready.
Combined records of opponents is like using a MAC teams combined record against an SEC teams combined record. The 7A West has won the last 12 chips for a reason-namely superior QB play.  Let me remind of NLR vs Fay in the finals as an example, when everyone said NLR would dominate and they lost 53-19. NLR was 12-0 going in.  Quality opponents is the key benchmark, and didnt Conway lose to Springdale??  The QB from West did lose to Bentonville but they are a reallly good team.  I have no dog in this fight but Im telling you it wont be a game and if it is I will be the first to say I'm wrong.

francocat

Huh? In this particular year, combined records tell a strength of schedule story. Yes, Conway lost to Springdale on a missed field goal at Springdale. But wait, Conway beat BV at BV. Let's see, BVW beat Har-Ber (quality opponent?).  Northside beats Har-Ber convincingly. Conway destroyed NS at NS. Let's see,
BVW's first 4 opponents finished a combined 10-30. No question, NWA has dominated the 7A in recent years, but to compare the BVW QB to say Powell from Fayetteville is like comparing Cole Kelly to Matt Jones.

tj1987

"Huh?" Do you need to re-read? If you think Conway comes up to West and beats them then more power to you. Springdale is a weak team Fay beat them 54-14.  I made valid points if you dont want to acknowledge the superior QB play in the 7A West then youre not being honest with yourself. Jarrett doesn't compare to Powell in the least but his is better than every QB in the Central.  B West also beat Fay who could also beat Conway. (lost to them by 35-0 in the 2nd round last year)  I will make it simple. B West wins this game and if they dont Ill admit I was wrong.

francocat

Nope, I can read just fine thank you. My QB comparison is no more absurd than your MAC-SEC. The Central is on the way back & if it's not this year, then very soon. Everything from home (borrowed) field, to day-of-the week, to overall record says BVW but it all just fuels the Cats. 

tj1987

Quote from: francocat on November 13, 2017, 01:22:50 pm
Nope, I can read just fine thank you. My QB comparison is no more absurd than your MAC-SEC. The Central is on the way back & if it's not this year, then very soon. Everything from home (borrowed) field, to day-of-the week, to overall record says BVW but it all just fuels the Cats.
Well you are obviously a fan I am just making observations.
Borrowed Field-if you research the situation you would realize that the players on the BV West team have played in that stadium since 8th grade MINIMUM and probably since 2nd.  You see they are the kids from Bentonville Gold that used to feed BV.  That is their "home" field in their minds. Traveling 3 hrs on a bus on a Thursday is tough to overcome.
  Oh yes "the Central is back" just like it was last year (and the 12 previous) when NLR nearly got mercy ruled in the Championship game and Conway shut out in the 2nd round. Look if you're right then fantastic, but I cant pick against West in this game. if Conway wins we both know it is a huge upset because realistically they have no advantages in this game period.

tj1987

Quote from: francocat on November 13, 2017, 01:22:50 pm
I made the SEC vs MAC comparison because when is the last time the Central won a State title?  Thats absurd??

francocat

We do agree on the advantages all being on the BVW side. Good luck to you and your FV Dogs TJ.

tj1987

Quote from: francocat on November 13, 2017, 03:19:22 pm
We do agree on the advantages all being on the BVW side. Good luck to you and your FV Dogs TJ.
OK Bahahaha...If I'm wrong I'll be happy to admit it.  Just my observations obviously. Conway has a good team I just don't think they can beat West on the road.  Good Luck.

Razorback Red

This thread is cracking me up.  Two good teams, both well coached.  One is gonna run and the other is gonna throw.  Probably the team that makes the fewest mistakes will win. 

I do want to comment on score/schedule comparisons.  I'm just one opinion, but I never put any value in comparing scores.  To me, that's about as valuable as putting stock in a scrimmage game.  Bottom line, neither one really matter. 

Good luck to both teams Thurs night, and from a Tiger fan, Go Wolverines!!!  I'll be there cheering them on. 

sportsguy80

I think this game will be closer than many think. I wouldn't be surprised if Conway came away with a win but they will have to play their best game of the season.

businesstron

I think this will be a track meet.  Like Razorback Red said.  You can run the ball up the middle on West and that is exactly what Conway is best at.   They have the best running back in the 7a.  Watching the Bryant/Conway game on youtube.  One of the reasons why Conway didn't get a bye was because their running back got hurt late in that game.    Literally they were up most of the game because they were able to run at will on Bryants defense. 

If he's fully healthy for this game West will probably have  to score, score and score some more to win.  How they gave up yards to Bentonville  i think it'll be hard for them to just shutdown Conway's run game completely.

Razorback Red

Game day is here!  Looking like a nice night in Bentonville, with temp at 54 degrees for kickoff. 

I will be shocked if it doesn't take 35+ points to win this one. 

Hornet-Hawg

PressBox-81

TigerHawg

Hornet-Hawg

So on the first West TD, the WR goes up, catches the ball, comes down on top of the DB and then rolls out of bounds.  I watched it a couple of times and I don't think the WR ever touched the ground in bounds.  I really don't know the rule on that one.  Should that be a TD or out of bounds?

The Future

Tuned in to the live stream.
17-7 West.

Go make a sandwich and suddenly Conway jumps to 28-17 lead.
Crazy!

Also I am enjoying listening to these Conway announcers. Lots of excitement and love for their team and well as great play by play and commentary.

AT

November 16, 2017, 08:05:03 pm #22 Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 08:07:39 pm by Almatrackster
Conway announcers on that Channel...5? stream are great. Professional and do a good job. I've watched it a few times and always came away impressed.

PA Dad

I think the NWA posters were way too optimistic about this game.  Conway has dominated since midway first quarter. 

The Conway defensive line is dominating the line of scrimmage.  The BW QB has been sacked several times and all of his throws are hurried.  Conway appears to be the much better team thus far.

AT

There have been some calling for BW West to come back down to Earth for awhile. They never really did in the regular season. We'll see if they keep the unexpected great season going with a 2nd half comeback.

trevster10

bulldoghistorian

bulldoghistorian

businesstron

2 Bentonville West possessions and a Conway turnover now has  Conway  only up 35-30. 

AT

Conway driving. Deep in Bent West territory. Injury for the Wampus Cats right now.

AT

BW punts. Conway ball on Conway 41.

BW - 30
Conway - 41

10:30 4Q

AT

Conway throws it deep and it is intercepted. Not sure why they passed. BW ball on BW 28

BW - 30
Conway - 41

9:41 4Q

AT

BW makes a field goal

BW - 33
Conway - 41

6:25 4Q

BW will kick off

AT

Conway is driving. If Conway milks this enough and scores. It all but over.

The Future

Did I hear that right??

Conway's RB has 2000 rushing yards for the season?
That's very impressive. Congrats to the man. George I think is the last name??

trevster10

Michael George (RB for Conway) at 246 yards on 34 carries  :o

bighorn7

Conway may still win this game, but why they are passing the ball ahead by two scores with 9 minutes left (on 2nd & 6) is mind-boggling.  Typical Conway.  If they would just line up and run it, they could win 7A.

AT

Conway scores to make it 48-33 Conway

2:49 4Q.

BW needs a slight miracle. Score quick, onside kick, score again and get a two point conversion just to send it to OT.

trevster10

I gotta say, I just didn't see this coming. Michael George has been outstanding tonight.

Up to 270 yards on the night for him.

7AFBFAN

It's a shame Conway and NLR are on same side of bracket.

businesstron

That's game pretty much.  I figured West would struggle stopping George.  I didn't anticipate Conway's defense  doing the job it did on West.   That win over Bentonville earlier in the year was no fluke.   

AT

B West deep in Conway territory after an amazing catch.

2:07 left. Ball on Conway 13.

AT

BW scores a touchdown. PAT Good.

Bentonville West - 40
Conway - 48

1:13 4Q...now the onside kick

The Future

AT

Conway barely recovers it. I think they can end this by kneeling it.

AT

It is over. Good game. Congrats to Conway.

Great season, Bentonville West.

tj1987

Quote from: francocat on November 13, 2017, 12:29:13 pm
Huh? In this particular year, combined records tell a strength of schedule story. Yes, Conway lost to Springdale on a missed field goal at Springdale. But wait, Conway beat BV at BV. Let's see, BVW beat Har-Ber (quality opponent?).  Northside beats Har-Ber convincingly. Conway destroyed NS at NS. Let's see,
BVW's first 4 opponents finished a combined 10-30. No question, NWA has dominated the 7A in recent years, but to compare the BVW QB to say Powell from Fayetteville is like comparing Cole Kelly to Matt Jones.
Great call bro you were right!  West was outplayed and out coached!  Good job Cats!

PA Dad

Is the dominance of NWA coming to an end?  Conway beat Bentonville and BW.

Bryant and NLR lurk.  We'll see.

PA Dad

Quote from: tj1987 on November 16, 2017, 09:56:41 pm
Great call bro you were right!  West was outplayed and out coached!  Good job Cats!

+1.  I like a guy who shows up and admits he was wrong.  I've had to do it many times.

The Future

So now it's a definite the Central will have at least one team in the finals with Conway, NLR, and Northside all on one side of the bracket.
After tomorrow we could possibly have 3 central teams and one west team left

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas