• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Targeting...

Started by N2DEEP, September 24, 2017, 07:07:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

N2DEEP

How do officials and the AAA look at targeting in regards to unavoidable contact?

Lets say runner A is running down field and defense B comes in for the tackle at an angle. Defense lowers his shoulder but has his head at an angle to cutoff the runners path. Runner A sees the incoming contact and lowers his head and shoulders to take on the incoming hit (basically ducking his head) and the two players helmets make contact.

In this instance the defesive player was using the right technique but because of the change of head posture by the offense they collided helmet to helmet. How can the defensive guy be called for targeting and or possible ejection? He had no time to modify his hit. Just wondered how people ruled on the player ducking their head into contact.

Rulesman

Doo you have film you can post. We would really have to see the play you describe to making a ruling, but the bottom line is this: ducking his head means he is leading with the crown of the helmet. That's a foul. Period. The rules committees at all levels want that out of the game. While it may have been the "right technique" before, that it no longer the case.

HeberFan

Why does targeting seldom, if ever, apply to offensive players?  Running backs often lower their head when bashing through the line or hitting a defender.

POWERCAT PRIDE

Quote from: Rulesman on September 24, 2017, 10:38:20 am
Doo you have film you can post. We would really have to see the play you describe to making a ruling, but the bottom line is this: ducking his head means he is leading with the crown of the helmet. That's a foul. Period. The rules committees at all levels want that out of the game. While it may have been the "right technique" before, that it no longer the case.

I don't see where the OP said that B1 ever "lowered" his head. He stated B1 was in the correct posture for a legal tackle, but A1 lowered his head and initiated the contact. Would you call B1 for targeting in that instance?

arreferee

Quote from: POWERCAT PRIDE on September 25, 2019, 01:49:29 pm
I don't see where the OP said that B1 ever "lowered" his head. He stated B1 was in the correct posture for a legal tackle, but A1 lowered his head and initiated the contact. Would you call B1 for targeting in that instance?

If B1 didn't lower his head and lead with the crown of his helmet, it would not be targeting. 

RamFan06

Saw this in a 6th grade game last night, (I know its just 6th grade but a good example)....The ball carrier was about to be tackled, lowered his head and hit the tackler square in the chest plate with the crown of his helmet knocking the tackler back and avoiding the tackle. Again, I know this is only 6th grade, but since the discussion turned to the difference between offensive and defensive targeting came up, I thought I would get some opinions on that one.

HeberFan

Quote from: RamFan06 on September 27, 2019, 11:45:45 am
Saw this in a 6th grade game last night, (I know its just 6th grade but a good example)....The ball carrier was about to be tackled, lowered his head and hit the tackler square in the chest plate with the crown of his helmet knocking the tackler back and avoiding the tackle. Again, I know this is only 6th grade, but since the discussion turned to the difference between offensive and defensive targeting came up, I thought I would get some opinions on that one.

Striking with the crown of the helment, if a penalty for one, should be a penalty for all.

POWERCAT PRIDE

Helmet Contact- Illegal
Illegal helmet contact is an act of initiating contact with the helmet against an opponent. There are several types of illegal helmet contact:

1. Spearing is an act by an offensive or defensive player who initiates contact against any opponent with the top of his helmet.

HeberFan

Quote from: POWERCAT PRIDE on September 28, 2019, 10:12:48 am
Helmet Contact- Illegal
Illegal helmet contact is an act of initiating contact with the helmet against an opponent. There are several types of illegal helmet contact:

1. Spearing is an act by an offensive or defensive player who initiates contact against any opponent with the top of his helmet.

So why is it so seldom called against an offensive player?

football_referee

that is a good question
and I don't have a good answer.

Habits are hard to break and this is just an assumption but since running backs are the so called stars of the show it was OK for them to be punishing by the defenders on the field.

I do know this Coaches and fans go ballistic if you call their running back for leading with their heads they think its part of the game and We as officials are slowly training them that this is just as dangerous as a defense player leading with their heads

Several years back it was uncommon to have a runner called for face mask when the stiff arm the tackler if he grabbed and twisted

I can say this in the last 2 years on my crew We have called several fouls on the running back leading with their heads

POWERCAT PRIDE

Football Ref...you eve call hurdling against the runner? It's in the rule book plain and simple. 9-4-3d

football_referee

I have seen it twice, first time was when I was new like first or second year I was so in awl I did not throw the flag, and on the very next play I told the coach I was sorry that I missed it, he said that was ok because he was impressed with it as well.

The 2nd time I saw it was about 4 years ago and I flagged it.  but I still was impressed by it

POWERCAT PRIDE

Quote from: football_referee on September 30, 2019, 08:51:53 pm
I have seen it twice, first time was when I was new like first or second year I was so in awl I did not throw the flag, and on the very next play I told the coach I was sorry that I missed it, he said that was ok because he was impressed with it as well.

The 2nd time I saw it was about 4 years ago and I flagged it.  but I still was impressed by it

I have watched several college games this year and it seems to be the in thing for the runner to hurdle the tackler. Why is it not called?

arreferee

Quote from: POWERCAT PRIDE on September 30, 2019, 08:57:49 pm
I have watched several college games this year and it seems to be the in thing for the runner to hurdle the tackler. Why is it not called?

It's not illegal for the runner to hurdle an opponent in NCAA football.

HeberFan

I think hurdling should be applauded !

football_referee

it all boils down to saftey

HeberFan

POWERCAT PRIDE

Quote from: arreferee on October 01, 2019, 08:41:15 am
It's not illegal for the runner to hurdle an opponent in NCAA football.
Oh you mean there are different rules on Saturdays than Fridays and Sundays?  ;D

arreferee

Quote from: POWERCAT PRIDE on October 02, 2019, 11:40:43 pm
Oh you mean there are different rules on Saturdays than Fridays and Sundays?  ;D

Just a few.  :)

HarBer Dad

Is targeting an automatic ejection?

football_referee

HarBer Dad

Quote from: football_referee on October 06, 2019, 05:00:02 pm
In High School No

Got it.  So if ejected, follows ejection rules and player out for 4 full consecutive quarters.  i.e. ejected Q2, not eligible to return until Q3 next game (assuming first offense).

HeberFan

NFL rules on "unneccesary roughness" on quarterbacks is getting silly.  One play had a defensive player accidentally slap a QBs helment, so he got flagged.  And even though the Mason Rudolph hit was flagged, it looked clean to me. Defender made contact in the upper chest and a little of the lower facemask.

football_referee

Quote from: HarBer Dad on October 06, 2019, 09:05:32 pm
Got it.  So if ejected, follows ejection rules and player out for 4 full consecutive quarters.  i.e. ejected Q2, not eligible to return until Q3 next game (assuming first offense).
The way I understand it yes

HarBer Dad

Adjudicator

Quote from: HarBer Dad on October 06, 2019, 09:05:32 pm

Well...unless the coach of the ejected player appeals the ejection to the AAA and they overturn it.  Happened to us last year.  Player launched, let with crown of helmet, and made forcible contact to the head of the receiver. We had 2 flags on the ground.  Called it targeting with ejection.  Coach appealed and low and behold it was overturned by the AAA.  The player on the receiving end had a concussion and was out for 2 weeks! So the targeting rule in Arkansas is a joke.  But we will keep flagging them and ejecting them and let the AAA overturn them!

BryanM67

Quote from: Adjudicator on October 12, 2019, 12:12:22 am
Well...unless the coach of the ejected player appeals the ejection to the AAA and they overturn it.  Happened to us last year.  Player launched, let with crown of helmet, and made forcible contact to the head of the receiver. We had 2 flags on the ground.  Called it targeting with ejection.  Coach appealed and low and behold it was overturned by the AAA.  The player on the receiving end had a concussion and was out for 2 weeks! So the targeting rule in Arkansas is a joke.  But we will keep flagging them and ejecting them and let the AAA overturn them!

Look at it this way, any liability from this would be on AAA, and not the officials.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas