• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Official GLion Memorial Pick'em Rules and Scoring

Started by Wendell Robinson, August 04, 2016, 03:47:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wendell Robinson

August 04, 2016, 03:47:39 pm Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 03:51:48 pm by Wendell Robinson
It's that time of year again where I post the rules and scoring system for our own in house pick'em game. And like always, someone will question how in the heck it all works after the first couple of weeks and, like always, the likes of AW, LJ, CounterPunch, or 12th Man will refer them to this thread which they will never find, which will lead them to send me a weekly pm asking me to explain the entire process to them. Why do I even bother with this initial thread? Well the answer is simple, to make everyone is aware that I am indeed still here to continue what the Great GLion_Alum started a few years ago.

1. Any and all posters are invited to participate every week. This game is separate from the official Fearless Friday Pick'em challenge that can be located on the homepage.

2. Each participant has until kickoff of each game to submit their picks. Also, any poster can change their picks up until kickoff. However, if you do change your pick, you must notify me via Private Message or through an additional post on the thread PRIOR to kickoff of the game or games that you are wishing to adjust your pick, as I input your selections the first time I see them and I DO NOT go back and re-check to make sure they have not changed. If you do not notify me of the change, I will only have your initial picks.

3. The process of picking games, recording picks, tallying scores, and posting results is quite time consuming and somewhat tedious. Please be patient and DO NOT send me a PM asking me when the scores/games will be posted, etc. I typically try to have the games for the next week posted by midnight Sunday at the latest. However; I have a wife, a child, am a full time student, work a full time job, and do volunteer work in addition to all of that. And when you wear that many hats, certain things happen that are much more important than a silly game for bragging rights. I will post the results of the previous week as quickly as possible.

4. Each week, you will have 10 games to pick. I try to only include games involving 4A teams, however there are times when there just aren't 10 intriguing games to pick from. In those cases, I will venture outside of 4A and pick from the biggest games in the state across each classification. Each week, each 4A conference will be represented by at least one game/team.

5. The scoring system was devised by the Late GLion_Alum. It is unique and can be a little confusing to those unfamiliar with it. I will explain it as best and as briefly as possible.
      Each week you will pick a winner of each game and give your point spread. You can do this a variety of ways:
Team A 28 Team B 7, Team A by 21, Team A by 21, Team A(21) vs Team B, etc.

How you choose to do this is not important as long as it is very clear that you have picked a team and a point spread. Without the point spread you cannot get full points.

You receive 5 points by correctly picking the winner and can receive up to 10 bonus points for the point spread.
For nailing the point spread you receive 10 bonus points for a total of 15 points. Come within one point receive 14, 2 points 13, 3 points 12...and so on. GLion found that this system rewarded those who were the most consistent pickers and it helped avoid messy tiebreaker situations. It's worked for the last 6 or 7 years, who am I to disagree?

Thank you to everyone who plays every year, and I look forward to some new faces signing on to play this year. One thing to remember, the scores carry over from week to week and things can change very quickly. Last year's regular season Champion, 12th Man CHS, was never in first place until the final week of the season. So just because you have one bad week, don't quit. Looking forward to another great season with all of you. Good luck to you and Go LIONS!

LJ06

Thanks for continuing this fantastic fearless tradition Wendell! My favorite pick ems to play!

WPWells

Thanks for doing this! I've changed my name, but I'm back to defend my crown!

bulldoghistorian

Looking forward to another year. I can't believe the season is here! Thanks for doing this!

AirWarren

elvis26

elvis26

:D fredbird I am coming for your title this year!!!!!

HorseFeathers

Bumping this thread up for review....Week 1 thread coming shortly

HorseFeathers

Bumping back to the top, and be on the lookout for week 1 thread by the end of the week

bulldoghistorian

Gray lizard

Looking forward to the challenge.  Do you have any cliff notes for the rules including the playoff eliminations? Thanks I know it is a lot of work every week.

AirWarren

Paperman

Wendell I want in this year. This sounds like fun.

smurf_you91

Thanks for keeping it going. I plan on bringing the title home to Hillbillies land lol

HorseFeathers

Holy carp....Week 0 snuck up on me this year...Look for a post later day for the 2019 Glion_Memorial Pick-em

prHOG13

Looking forward to continuing my tradition of making terrible picks

AirWarren

Quote from: prHOG13 on August 25, 2019, 11:48:14 am
Looking forward to continuing my tradition of making terrible picks

Lol. Same here.

rskyb33

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas