Welcome to FearlessFriday.com! Today is Thursday, December 14th, 2017.
CLASS 5A CHAMPIONSHIP GAME CAPSULE
CLASS 6A CHAMPIONSHIP GAME CAPSULE
CLASS 7A CHAMPIONSHIP GAME CAPSULE
FearlessFriday
Week 10 Review
Week 9 Review

Author Topic: Private Schools vs. Public Schools -- Round 2!  (Read 67571 times)

Offline MDXPHD

• Assistant Coach
Re: Private Schools vs. Public Schools -- Round 2!
« Reply #1350 on: December 03, 2017, 09:11:59 pm »
These numbers are interesting. They are actually broken down by sport...but I only have the fall sports (and these are high school numbers).Financial aid isn't anything other than the award based off need...it has nothing to do with teachers at the school or any type of tuition discount. These are kids who play sports, qualified for tuition assistance from a 3rd party, and were awarded an amount by the school themselves.

Football - 20/61 (about 33 percent) players receive financial aid.
Volleyball - 2/18 (about 11 percent) players receive financial aid.
Tennis (Varsity..so 9-12) - 3/38 (about 7 percent) players receive financial aid.
Cross Country (Varsity) - 4/22 (about 18 percent) players receive financial aid.
Golf (Varsity) - 3/17(about 18 percent) players receive financial aid.

I have to know...is anybody shocked that 33 percent of their high school football team receives financial aid? 1/3 of their high school football team...

And financial aid isn't just capped at half of tuition...it can be quite a bit. The financial aid forms that I have show students were awarded anywhere from $14025.00 (more than actual tuition) to $1500.00. The majority of athletes who get financial aid are receiving over 6k per year.

I can't get the Spring sports until next May I don't think.

This is still good stuff.

Offline PA Dad

• Assistant Coach
  • Credit to the man in the arena
« Reply #1351 on: December 03, 2017, 09:19:10 pm »
This is still good stuff.

Are we recycling?  I hear itís good for the environment.

Offline MDXPHD

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #1352 on: December 03, 2017, 09:25:02 pm »
Are we recycling?  I hear itís good for the environment.

I just remembered how the numbers were so out of line compared to the other sports and the school. Thought I would bring it back.

Regardless, onto the other boards! Football season is over and the champs are who we thought they would be..No surprise there. Congrats!

Offline PA Dad

• Assistant Coach
  • Credit to the man in the arena
« Reply #1353 on: December 03, 2017, 09:32:09 pm »
I just remembered how the numbers were so out of line compared to the other sports and the school. Thought I would bring it back.

Regardless, onto the other boards! Football season is over and the champs are who we thought they would be..No surprise there. Congrats!

If you havenít made your point by now, after two years, you never will.

Offline nuttinbuthogs

• Starter
« Reply #1354 on: December 07, 2017, 10:08:20 am »
Those numbers are striking.  Isn't it a violation for a school, coach, fan to give gifts to a student to entice them into coming to play ball at their school?

Offline STBruin

• Bench Warmer
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
« Reply #1355 on: December 07, 2017, 11:18:52 am »
Those numbers are striking.  Isn't it a violation for a school, coach, fan to give gifts to a student to entice them into coming to play ball at their school?

striking...yes...BUT have not been confirmed. Just because it is written, does not mean its true.....plus...wasn't a public school coach the last coach sanctioned for recruiting? AND...if not mistaken...had several players on his team this year...transfer in from several other schools prior to the season...just a thought....and to be honest...I no longer have a dog in the fight, my son finished with 4 rings and a heck of a high school career, and I NEVER SAW ANYTHING REMOTELY THAT WOULD RESEMBLE anything done outside the rules by coaches or school faculty.

Offline nuttinbuthogs

• Starter
« Reply #1356 on: December 07, 2017, 12:00:04 pm »
striking...yes...BUT have not been confirmed. Just because it is written, does not mean its true.....plus...wasn't a public school coach the last coach sanctioned for recruiting? AND...if not mistaken...had several players on his team this year...transfer in from several other schools prior to the season...just a thought....and to be honest...I no longer have a dog in the fight, my son finished with 4 rings and a heck of a high school career, and I NEVER SAW ANYTHING REMOTELY THAT WOULD RESEMBLE anything done outside the rules by coaches or school faculty.

Why am I not surprised?   If you did would you admit it?  I don't think they are stupid enough to do it in plain sight.

Offline STBruin

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #1357 on: December 07, 2017, 01:57:43 pm »
Why am I not surprised?   If you did would you admit it?  I don't think they are stupid enough to do it in plain sight.

If I did...I wouldn't be on here defending it...plain and simple

Offline JessieP

• 2nd String
« Reply #1358 on: December 07, 2017, 08:05:38 pm »
The numbers are without question out of sync. If aid is given blindly, as PA claims, then the numbers would be identical across the board. I find it telling that no one can offer any explanation of the higher rate of football players receiving aid. Why? I mean if you want to shut people up at least give some off the wall made up story. It's funny how whenever anyone ask why the percentage of football players receiving aid is so much higher the response is crickets chirping and tumbleweeds. 

Offline PA Bruin Fan

• Bench Warmer
  • Go Bruins!!!
« Reply #1359 on: December 07, 2017, 10:12:40 pm »
First, Iíd like to determine where these numbers come from.  Iím just asking.  I donít think itís fair to question PAs ethics until we validate these numbers as factual.

Second, financial aid is not given out blindly.  A student must demonstrate the ability to maintain a high GPA and be an active member of the student body (I.e. band, debate team, fine arts, or sports).

Third, as to the specific question regarding why more football players receive aid, here is my take.  There are plenty of quality private schools in the area that can provide a high quality education.  Clearly, we have the top private school football program.  So, as a parent, if thatís important, you would target PA.  Thatís just my guess. 

Offline DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

• 2nd String
  • Cinderella story. Outta nowhere.
« Reply #1360 on: December 13, 2017, 01:12:19 pm »

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas