• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How big is HS football in TEXAS

Started by Lions84, May 26, 2015, 01:33:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lions84

Valleysports

Bigger than anything a Hillbilly can imagine!

Lions84

It been wild after growing up in the Delta to see stadiums that would make any of the old AIC schools cry to have.

Valleysports

Lion, I grew up and played my HS Ball in Tyler's Rose Stadium.  Of course away games were all over - Longview, Skyline, Cedar Hill, Odessa, ....  Then I played my college ball at one of those Old AIC schools..   :D.   But I'm thankful Arkansas has it's DII Programs - possibly one of the best DII States in the Country.

Texarkana_Piggie

high school football in texas is not a sport....it's a religion.

Lions84

Quote from: Valleysports on May 27, 2015, 12:12:03 pm
Lion, I grew up and played my HS Ball in Tyler's Rose Stadium.  Of course away games were all over - Longview, Skyline, Cedar Hill, Odessa, ....  Then I played my college ball at one of those Old AIC schools..   :D.   But I'm thankful Arkansas has it's DII Programs - possibly one of the best DII States in the Country.

I miss the Old AIC.  But we got HS fields that would hold all of Pine Bluff.

Texarkana_Piggie

we were in dallas a few years ago.  we drove by one stadium.  i said "i wonder what college that is for?"  it was a high school stadium.  i was thinking it was like a UCA or Henderson sized college stadium.  nope.

sevenof400

Quote from: Texarkana_Piggie on June 01, 2015, 04:29:39 pm
we were in dallas a few years ago.  we drove by one stadium.  i said "i wonder what college that is for?"  it was a high school stadium.  i was thinking it was like a UCA or Henderson sized college stadium.  nope.

I've seen those as well.  I do have to wonder if their commitment to athletics dwarfs that to academics.   

Valleysports

Ha ha - ha ha - think of the irony in that.  Posted on an Arkansas forum.  ;D

Lions84

sixthman

I know a guy who went to school at Odessa Permian. He talked about Friday home games...unreal.

Valleysports

Lions84

MOJO is a Legendary Program and the Team behind Friday Night Lights and an older book MOJO Majic.

Lions84

Our HS Stadium will hold a little over 2,000 but we will be expanding with the next bond package.

Longfellow

I always wished I could've gone to one of those schools, just so I could've been a part of that atmosphere every Friday night. Just wasn't the same at Ola

Lions84

Quote from: Longfellow on October 08, 2015, 03:15:23 pm
I always wished I could've gone to one of those schools, just so I could've been a part of that atmosphere every Friday night. Just wasn't the same at Ola

It wild to walk into one of them even after living in TX for over 20 years.

Longfellow

Closest I ever got to that atmosphere was watching a game at Stillwater High School in Oklahoma. It only seats 6,000 but it's bigger than anywhere else I've ever been

Lions84

Quote from: Longfellow on October 08, 2015, 03:49:10 pm
Closest I ever got to that atmosphere was watching a game at Stillwater High School in Oklahoma. It only seats 6,000 but it's bigger than anywhere else I've ever been

Yep it is wild when You grow up in a small school that had less than 800 folks at a game.

Legend

If anyone wants to see a big game try watching the Tulsa Union -Jenks game. The one I went to had 42,000 people packed into the stadium at Tulsa University. Those games draw more people than the Tulsa University home games.

Lions84

Quote from: Legend on October 15, 2015, 06:46:40 am
If anyone wants to see a big game try watching the Tulsa Union -Jenks game. The one I went to had 42,000 people packed into the stadium at Tulsa University. Those games draw more people than the Tulsa University home games.

Yea or the State Finals here in Texas which will be in Houston if I remember correctly since there was a schedule conflict with the NFL on using Jerrys World again .

Legend

I played in a softball tournament in Mansfield TX. How do they work it all out that 2 or 3 teams share a field or is it just two.. I heard thats what they do in the Mansfield school district

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas