• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Major disappointment in Arkansas schools.

Started by G-Town38, February 01, 2012, 05:10:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

G-Town38

Update: On Darrick's first carry from scrimmage in his collegiate career, he pounds one in for a Touchdown. Mind you, it was only a 1 yard run, it was the start of a special day. Darrick got to carry the ball 15 more times for a total of 110 yards. This is just the beginning of what could be a two headed monster for his school.

GrizzlyBaseball

Congratulations to the young man on an exciting start to his career.  Teams like North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Northern Illinois and others at the FCS level are making a living recruiting "football players" that the FBS schools overlook because of the "measurables"  A linebacker that's 5'11" instead of 6'1".  A running back that runs 4.61instead of 4.5.  They have no chance to be recruited by most FCS teams, certainly not the SEC.  But they are football players and all they do is win. 

And every year we see more FCS teams getting the wins against FBS opponents.

soldier

Quote from: GrizzlyBaseball on September 30, 2013, 02:03:36 pm
Congratulations to the young man on an exciting start to his career.  Teams like North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Northern Illinois and others at the FCS level are making a living recruiting "football players" that the FBS schools overlook because of the "measurables"  A linebacker that's 5'11" instead of 6'1".  A running back that runs 4.61instead of 4.5.  They have no chance to be recruited by most FCS teams, certainly not the SEC.  But they are football players and all they do is win. 

+1

polksalet

fwiw Northern Illinois played in a BCS bowl last year.

Lions84

the_kosher_pig

G-Town38

Quote from: the_kosher_pig on November 19, 2013, 01:18:47 pm
So where is he playing?
William Jewell College, in Liberty Missouri. They are a member of division 2 Great Lakes Valley Conference.

monster_island

G-Town38

Lions84

I still can not accept the UA did not go after Dixon from Strong.

soldier

+1

Iknewthemwhen

To be fair, there are so many players out there with average physical attributes that have good high school stats that it makes sense for colleges eo go after the players with better physical characteristics. Size,speed, strength always are advantageous. Sure you have exceptions but college coaches can't take too many changes and keep their high priced jobs.  You have to realize only about 2% of all high school players ever play any college ball

Lions84

The_Pioneer

Measureable aren't the only reasons some kids don't get recruited.  You can't carry a 2.0 in high school and expect to even get into some schools. 

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: The_Pioneer on November 21, 2014, 04:56:51 pm
Measureable aren't the only reasons some kids don't get recruited.  You can't carry a 2.0 in high school and expect to even get into some schools.

This is a BIG reason a lot of athletes do not garner much attention.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on November 21, 2014, 05:34:19 pm
Quote from: The_Pioneer on November 21, 2014, 04:56:51 pm

This is a BIG reason a lot of athletes do not garner much attention.

Of course, if you're uber-talented but dumber than a bag of hammers, they'll find ways to get you eligible.

WPWells

12th Man would like to know just how dumb a bag of hammers is

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on November 22, 2014, 09:12:28 pm
lol...se the picture Ivan posted? That's how dumb...

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 22, 2014, 10:42:33 pm

But you have to decide which one is dumbest.

ricepig

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on November 22, 2014, 11:19:04 pm

Well, one of them has made millions for years, and still is getting paid, the other one I'm not so sure.

Longfellow

Quote from: ricepig on November 23, 2014, 04:35:43 pm
Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on November 22, 2014, 11:19:04 pm

Well, one of them has made millions for years, and still is getting paid, the other one I'm not so sure.
Vince Young is employed by the university of Texas. Not sure in what capacity though

Iknewthemwhen

Fans love their players and usually overestimate their ability.

Lions84

And College's miss on recruiting all the time.

Lions84

It fun to read the rosters of all the small Louisiana Colleges and see all those Arkie boys playing there and over in Mississippi.

G-Town38

Quote from: Lions84 on September 25, 2014, 02:51:19 pm
Keep us updated on Darrick!
After suffering a broken ankle last season, Darrick got his first official start at runningback last Saturday. 12 carries for 44 yards and a touchdown. Also 7 catches for 40 yards, 1 tackle on special teams, and was the offensive captain.
Just a little update.

Grond

Very good. Way to maintain discipline & focus.

Reading through the thread again, did Darrick attend many college football camps before his senior year of high school? Could you list them?

Lions84

JohnnyBoyDogs

I don't mean to be the bad guy in this situation and I most certainly will be Im sure. I believe all kids with athletic ability that aren't just your prototypical size will at some point be looked over. But just because you rack up stats and accolades from a small school does not mean a college is going to come knocking at your door. I applaud the young man in this thread that everyone was so supportive of, but 3 years ago G Town 38 was clamoring as to why he couldn't get a scholarship offer because he was so good and after signing with a bottom tier DII school and having 20 rush attempts with 70 yards through 4 games in a red shirt Jr season is a hard pill to swallow for some. It just goes as further proof that the next level is the next level for a reason. I don't know G Town 38 nor do I know Derrick and I assure you all are good people even if they are his parents or related to the kid but when you have an invested interest in an athlete due to family or friendly ties it always is going to seem like the athlete is far better than they really are. Harsh reality.

Grond

Quote from: JohnnyBoyDogs on September 30, 2015, 09:57:45 am
I don't mean to be the bad guy in this situation and I most certainly will be Im sure. I believe all kids with athletic ability that aren't just your prototypical size will at some point be looked over. But just because you rack up stats and accolades from a small school does not mean a college is going to come knocking at your door. I applaud the young man in this thread that everyone was so supportive of, but 3 years ago G Town 38 was clamoring as to why he couldn't get a scholarship offer because he was so good and after signing with a bottom tier DII school and having 20 rush attempts with 70 yards through 4 games in a red shirt Jr season is a hard pill to swallow for some. It just goes as further proof that the next level is the next level for a reason. I don't know G Town 38 nor do I know Derrick and I assure you all are good people even if they are his parents or related to the kid but when you have an invested interest in an athlete due to family or friendly ties it always is going to seem like the athlete is far better than they really are. Harsh reality.

Tough, but correct.  :-\

The situation for D2 schools in the GAC (Great American Conference, which is Arkansas & Oklahoma D2 college conference with 12 teams) is BRUTAL.

GAC schools play 11 games, with no by-week. Most schools are trying to run personnel for 2 offensive lines and 5+ running backs!

Can you imagine the SEC doing that? It would implode.

Back to Darrick..............I am very curious if he went to any college camps before his senior year.

Lions84

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas